gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:48:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do these numbers stand for?  (Read 1895 times)
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2006, 09:44:22 AM »

On Beach Boys (and other artists) 1960's records on Capitol, there is a number on the bottom corner on the back of the jacket, next to the RIAA logo. What does this number refer to? It seems like I mostly see 3's.
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 09:47:10 AM »

Also, while on the subject of numbers like this, could someone explain to me how, by looking at the matrix numbers in the dead wax, to determine on 60's Capitol pressings whether or not a record is a first pressing?
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 08:23:30 AM »

Okay, I figured it out. The numbers stand for which factory it was pressed in. This also answers, in very simple languague, the ongoing question of how to tell if a copy of Pet Sounds was pressed in Los Angeles or somewhere else (a question which I don't think has ever been fully and exactly answered). According to http://www.beatlecollectors.com/pages/11/index.htm, the numbers 5, 6, and 7 are Los Angeles pressings. A snowflake type logo on the deadwax also indicates that it is a Los Angeles pressing.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx