gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:27:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys VS James Watt Article in this month's Mojo magazine  (Read 1677 times)
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:25:51 AM »

Pages 30 & 31...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »

Pages 30 & 31...

I don't have the issue, details please? Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »

It's a good article (although it appears to end mid-sentence which is a tad annoying). Mojo a very good magazine.
Paulos
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »

Is it as good as the Smile feature that they did?  Roll Eyes
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »

Pages 30 & 31...
Yeah really..great stuff..
Top post! Huh

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »

Pages 30 & 31...
Yeah really..great stuff..
Top post! Huh

Prise your wallet open and find out - I'm not typing it out...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 11:10:57 PM »

It's only a very short article, really. Well written though. If anyone wants to read it just go to the Mojo site.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:25:07 AM »

Tried that, can't find it - link, please ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 11:05:51 AM »

Ah, it aint on there. Soz folks, will have to seek out the magazine. There's nothing anyone here doesn't already know in it anyway...

I did enjoy reading this from Mojo's website however; it arised from the Mojo staff having a disscussion re the best BB album (excluding Pet Sounds):

“Pet Sounds aside, what’s your favourite Beach Boys album?” Yesterday’s typical mid-morning MOJO office starter-for-ten elicited excitable support for Surf’s Up (in spite of Al Jardine’s horrible song about his feet) and Carl And The Passions “So Tough” (especial Dep Ed “props” for Dennis Wilson’s gorgeous closer, Cuddle Up). Holland is my shout, an exile’s ode to Americana beautifully embroidered by the underrated non-Brians plus newcomers Blondie Chaplin and Ricky “Stig O’Hara” Fataar. Dennis’s chooglin’ Steamboat, Mike Love’s country-waltz, California Saga/Big Sur, but most of all, Carl’s lonesome diptych The Trader more than hold their own against Brian’s effortlessly anthemic Sail On Sailor. It was not a good time for the latter, under a braincloud and barely present at sessions, bafflingly transplanted to the tiny Dutch village of Baambrugge by eccentric Beach Boys manager, Jack Rieley. Instead he toiled over a curious, six-part sound-story – Mount Vernon & Fairway (A Fairy Tale) – its narrative of a boy prince visited by magic, phosphorescent transistor radio a barely veiled allegory of his own lonely childhood, its beautiful Moog-y theme collides with Jack Rieley’s narration of Wilson’s increasingly wigged-out lyrics. Originally a free 7” EP with the vinyl album, it’s probably the most compelling reason to invest in Holland, the Beach Boys’ least-heard (and certainly last) great record."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx