gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:26:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weakest Song On Pet Sounds/Smile?  (Read 20031 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2012, 05:00:21 AM »

Pet Sounds - "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)"  Great vocals but melody is a bit forced.
Smile (either version) - Wonderful.  Just have never liked parts of the song.

Sometimes you just have to accept that musical opinion is a subjective thing, and that views such as the above, as brainless, stupid and criminal as they may sound, are entirely valid.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »

I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to contribute to this thread. However I elected to post this because I wanted to see my avatar. It is a picture of a man with his head up his ass. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. Unfortunately you will never get that particular part of your life back.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2012, 09:37:26 AM »

I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to contribute to this thread. However I elected to post this because I wanted to see my avatar. It is a picture of a man with his head up his ass. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. Unfortunately you will never get that particular part of your life back.
thanks I guess...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:38:29 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »

Pet Sounds - "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)"  Great vocals but melody is a bit forced.

Sometimes you just have to accept that musical opinion is a subjective thing, and that views such as the above, as brainless, stupid and criminal as they may sound, are entirely valid.

I don't think musical opinions of favorite, and least favorite, Beach Boy favorites are stupid. Soem love Barbara Ann, some hate it with a passion.

The thread isn't "Bad songs on Pet Sounds and Smile".  Top to bottom, PS is the greatest album ever, in my opinion. I love the title track and "Let's Go Away For Awhile" from PS but they are instrumentals and some people just want to hear vocal songs.  LGAFA is a musical prelude to the Smile sound.  I love the these instrumentals from Brian.  Like Diamond Head, it shows his genius as a musical composer.

Wonderful has just never grabbed me.  "Surf's Up", on the other hand, is, I think, the greatest song ever written.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Gdraft
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »

Sloop John B.  It doesn't fit on Pet Sounds.

Everybody lies
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »

...hopefully that image worked out okay. Right click->view image to see it all.

Anyway, I guess whenever I listen to Pet Sounds, I tend to skip over Don't Talk and occasionally the instrumental tracks. And usually by the time I'm at Caroline No, I tend to skip ahead at the end to move on to the next track (so I think the playcount there is artificially low).

As for SMiLE, I'd have to say Mrs. O'Leary's cow. It's not a BAD song but it's less enjoyable for me to listen to than the others.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »

Like Diamond Head, it shows his genius as a musical composer.

as noted in the Diamond Head thread, Brian didn't actually compose the song.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »

Co-wrote it.  Unless you were at the session or know otherwise, to me it sounds like a BW directed composition.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »

Why would you ruin a perfect album?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2012, 06:51:15 PM »

Why would you ruin a perfect album?
Sorry! I'll... make it up to you. I'll go buy a copy of Summer in Paradise right now and listen to it all the way through, no skipping-- I promise!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »

LGAFA is one of my all-time favorites. There are so many layers to that song; and the chord changes are phenomenal.

I mean, it is LIGHTYEARS ahead of 'Summer Means New Love' - it is just astonishingly beautiful.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »

LGAFA is one of my all-time favorites. There are so many layers to that song; and the chord changes are phenomenal.

I mean, it is LIGHTYEARS ahead of 'Summer Means New Love' - it is just astonishingly beautiful.

Agree. The song is just amazing!

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »

The first Pet Sounds I had, I downloaded from Napster and the entire album was one track, no skipping.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »

My least favourite Pet Sounds song is Trombone Dixie  Smiley
T2458
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »

The first Pet Sounds I had, I downloaded from Napster and the entire album was one track, no skipping.

Firstly - Napster was for those who didn't like paying for music.
Secondly - Pet Sounds on low quality MP3 is just.... Oh Dear!

Weakest song on Pet Sounds - Sloop John B - Great Song but it doesn't work on that album at any level
Weakest song on Smile - Fire/Mrs O'Leary's Cow - Far too discordant - hard to sing along to
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »

Too bad Napster only lead to me purchasing dozens upon dozens of records back in the day, records which I never would have heard or purchased, otherwise. D'you work for the RIAA or something?

This was 1998 or 1999. Connections were slow, bandwidth was limited, and hard drives were extremely small, and 128 was considered the "standard". It's not as if he still chooses to listen to that copy today.

C'mon d00d.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Paulos
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2012, 02:13:42 PM »

Weakest song on Pet Sounds - Sloop John B - Great Song but it doesn't work on that album at any level
Weakest song on Smile - Fire/Mrs O'Leary's Cow - Far too discordant - hard to sing along to

How do you sing along to a song that's instrumental?
SG7
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »

What weak songs???  Shocked

Grin
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »

Co-wrote it.  Unless you were at the session or know otherwise, to me it sounds like a BW directed composition.

Al Vescovo said he wrote the song. It is a steel guitar instrumental after all. Brian directed the session and came up with the concept and title, but Vescovo wrote the thing. Brian was more involved with creating all the different sound effects.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:50 PM »

Al Vescovo said he wrote the song. It is a steel guitar instrumental after all. Brian directed the session and came up with the concept and title, but Vescovo wrote the thing. Brian was more involved with creating all the different sound effects.

Whatever. I don't know Al Vescovo. Sounds like a BW production to me. 
I'd have to hear something more corroborative - like Brian saying A V wrote it.  Not saying he didn't.  It is unusual for Brian to put his name on a song he didn't write.
He is credited first though, "Al Vescovo/Lyle Ritz/Jim Ackley/B. Wilson"

The song has a lot of parts.  It's not a strictly 'Steel guitar instrumental' (which, living in Hawaii, I've heard tons of).
It's as much a Percussion song, Ukulele song. The Uke chord structures differs from the preceding steel guitar part and the steel guitar follows suit.  Sounds like a collaboration to me.
Lyle Ritz played ukelele on the track.  The Steel guitar is great though!  Love it!

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2012, 07:40:31 PM »

Whatever. I don't know Al Vescovo. Sounds like a BW production to me. 
I'd have to hear something more corroborative - like Brian saying A V wrote it.  Not saying he didn't.  It is unusual for Brian to put his name on a song he didn't write.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »

It's clearly a Brian Wilson production.

And it's a steel guitar tune with ukulele and light keyboard accompaniment. The solo uke part is just a standard turnaround followed by the same chord progression as the rest of the song.

I think Al's name is listed first (and Brian's last) for a reason.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:39:08 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »

I love everything on Pet Sounds, there's no weak moment IMHO.

The weakest song on SMiLE, well, I hope I don't get banned from the board now, is ... drumroll ... "Hereos & Villains".
It just doesn't work as a song for me. Everytime I have to listen to it I go "Oooh no, boring". I like the melodies of chorus, verses, etc, it's not that it's not good, but it's just... boring. Sorry.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2012, 11:22:15 PM »

I only buy music if I can't figure out a way to download it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2012, 01:01:58 AM »

It's clearly a Brian Wilson  productio.

And it's a steel guitar tune with ukulele and light keyboard accompaniment. The  solo uke part is just a standard turnaround followed by the same chord progression as the rest of the song.

I think Al's name is listed first (and Brian's last) for a reason.

Maybe cause Brian is a sweet and generous man.  I do the same thing on my songs - usually always put my name last.

It's not a unique chord progression - it's the style and flair of the steel guitar playing.

So what's your proof besides your claim that 'you say' Al says he wrote the song.  He doesn't claim to on his website.

You'll find all the same 'chords' here and 100's of Hawaiian steel guitar songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0K8TCMjGA

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx