gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 07:34:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why does Bruce post over at BBB?  (Read 33695 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 12:39:39 PM »

Maybe he pops in here under an alias? (and no it's not me!!)

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »

No, we know you're not Bruce.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »

I'm actually Al.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

I just had a dream about this thread, in which posters at the Blue Board were commenting on various posters here and the environment they created.

Man, I must be spending too much time here ...
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »

Most famous Bruce quote from Male Ego. When asked if the band was going to start to do super market openings soon, Bruce replied, " no, but even though we are quite busy, we'd still find time to play at your funeral."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 01:38:13 PM »

Most famous Bruce quote from Male Ego. When asked if the band was going to start to do super market openings soon, Bruce replied, " no, but even though we are quite busy, we'd still find time to play at your funeral."
Damn, Bruce torched that guy LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »

I think "We'd Still Find Time to Play at your Funeral" was originally a Bruce song that Manilow passed on.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »

That, and the sliced ham quote, both had me on the floor.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »

Mikie, if the music and personal stuff was critiqued objectively, I doubt that would affect whether or not they would visit the board. Actually, it is the subjectivity that gets in the way. I mean, this place is a in your face opinion board. It is all the personal smack that goes on here that keeps them away. Brian seems to be about the only one that people lighten up on, though at times his personal situations get tossed around here worse than dirty laundry. Jon's reason for them not participating is dead on correct. There is a lot of written (verbal) abuse that transpires here for band members and for some of the supporting guys like Jeff Foskett. These are just different times, I suppose, and anything goes.

I'm with ya for the most part. Maybe I shoulda used the word "subjective" instead of "objective" in my post above.  Grin  There's no real need to get personal with these guys, but again, it's part of the territory. They make the big bucks and we expect a lot of them to be part of one of the top legendary Rock bands of the 20th Century. When they do and say things that are obviously wrong (or even "wrong" from our perspective without knowing the whole story) they're subject to criticism on a public forum. Would we say some of these negative things to their faces? Doubt it. It's easy pickens here. You know, if the criticisms were productive, like the band member was ineffective, inconsistent, and slacking on a professional level, that's one thing. But going after the personal stuff is not right. Really. I've been guilty as the next guy in the past, but....how would you (or a family member) like reading this board and seeing your name come up and it was total B.S. lies or there was another side to it than what was written about and your hands were tied because you couldn't respond to it?

I've seen Mike Love get raked over the coals many times here and elsewhere. I've seen Jeff targeted here and I saw Kawalski take some major hits a few years ago before Cowsill took over. Whether they've deserved it or not is.......well........subjective. Does Darian deserve criticism for his hair? Hell YES!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:52:33 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »

If I were in Bruce's position, I wouldn't exactly be jumping out of my chair to join a message board where members claim that they use some of his solo records to spiral slice ham..

That sounds like something Bruce himself would say with his humble self-deprecating humor!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:40:51 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 02:32:17 PM »

This board can be pretty nasty at times, but I would also say its the most honest, and certainly the most knowledgable of any of the Beach Boys boards.

Right on the mark.   It's either this board, Beach Boys Britain, or Brian's bored.  I know which one I'd much rather be on!  And I think I know where AGD himself spends most of his time!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:41:38 PM by Mikie » Logged

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »

Does Darian deserve criticism for his hair? YES!  Grin
What? NO!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 03:54:02 PM »

Male Ego separated the men from the boys.

...yeah, the boys stayed and squabbled while the real men didn't waste their time there...

Mutter,
Jon Blum

SG7
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »

The is Melinda a model thread? on Male Ego ... the thread that launched a billion laughs  LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »

Bruce showed up on another board too - was that Male Ego? - around 2005(?) I can't remember. Anyway, he had a week where he started posting and went into his influences, among them "I Only Have Eyes For You" by the Flamingos which is one of the most beautiful and haunting records ever made...I'll never get over how they got those sounds...and arranger Nelson Riddle. I passed on some info about a Nelson Riddle biography that an alum from my high school had written, and it was neat to interact with him.

I always wanted to know if he had a chance to pick up that Riddle bio and what he thought of it.

And if Bruce is reading this, it would be a thrill to hear "I Only Have Eyes For You" added to the reunion set list. I've often though what a killer of a cover song that would be to hear those full Beach Boys vocals.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 04:28:25 PM »

Bruce showed up on another board too - was that Male Ego? - around 2005(?) I can't remember. Anyway, he had a week where he started posting and went into his influences, among them "I Only Have Eyes For You" by the Flamingos which is one of the most beautiful and haunting records ever made...I'll never get over how they got those sounds...and arranger Nelson Riddle.

Love that. It is so gorgeously atmospheric.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »

Bruce showed up on another board too - was that Male Ego? - around 2005(?) I can't remember. Anyway, he had a week where he started posting and went into his influences, among them "I Only Have Eyes For You" by the Flamingos which is one of the most beautiful and haunting records ever made...I'll never get over how they got those sounds...and arranger Nelson Riddle.

Love that. It is so gorgeously atmospheric.

It's a record that you can't shake off or forget, you hear it and you just get lost in the sounds. I can't explain what it is, how they did it, etc etc...it leaves you speechless once you've connected with that record. Incredible. I wasn't surprised to hear it was a favorite of Bruce's, it was really neat to hear him mention it, though.

I'm a big fan of those "Desert Island Discs" interviews as they reveal a lot about the artists,  and I'd love to hear one of those lists from each of the Beach Boys. Although we can guess Brian's top choices...Be My Baby, Rhapsody In Blue, etc... Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »

Male Ego separated the men from the boys.

...yeah, the boys stayed and squabbled while the real men didn't waste their time there...

Mutter,
Jon Blum

But what fun we had!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »

Bruce showed up on another board too - was that Male Ego? - around 2005(?) I can't remember. Anyway, he had a week where he started posting and went into his influences, among them "I Only Have Eyes For You" by the Flamingos which is one of the most beautiful and haunting records ever made...I'll never get over how they got those sounds...and arranger Nelson Riddle. I passed on some info about a Nelson Riddle biography that an alum from my high school had written, and it was neat to interact with him.

I always wanted to know if he had a chance to pick up that Riddle bio and what he thought of it.

And if Bruce is reading this, it would be a thrill to hear "I Only Have Eyes For You" added to the reunion set list. I've often though what a killer of a cover song that would be to hear those full Beach Boys vocals.
Wow...gotta agree big time with you, Bruce and Cam..."I Only Have Eyes For You" is one of the most dramatic arrangements ever put to wax. The song absolutely turns me to jello. The Platters "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" has a similar effect on me...as does the BB's "Kiss Me Baby"...and DW's "Thoughts of You". We could start a thread...Songs That Make You Cry. Those four would be high on my list.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 07:37:59 PM »

Wow...gotta agree big time with you, Bruce and Cam..."I Only Have Eyes For You" is one of the most dramatic arrangements ever put to wax. The song absolutely turns me to jello. The Platters "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" has a similar effect on me...as does the BB's "Kiss Me Baby"...and DW's "Thoughts of You". We could start a thread...Songs That Make You Cry. Those four would be high on my list.

It's always a nice thing to see others who share these kinds of thoughts on certain songs, albums, etc. Bruce for one notable example, that was awesome when he posted that stuff! He grew up with it when it was a new record - at the time I got obsessed with "I Only Have Eyes For You" it was the farthest thing from what was in the popular culture - but a record like that transcends generations, the great ones always do. But I'm glad I had oldies radio to hear it unexpectedly for a "drop everything, crank it up" moment, which is the best way to hear a great tune on the radio - and well before "oldies" radio turned into a sterile place to hear things like the fucking Footloose soundtrack and John Mellencamp.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2012, 08:31:03 PM »

And I'm not Bruce... Grin

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »

To understand what the real fan has to say, this is THE only site and for that reason I have always been of the opinion that Bruce at the very least reads this board.

As many of you guys have bet your testicles and lost on this board, I'll wager mine that he also posts. Tongue
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2012, 01:55:56 AM »

To understand what the real fan has to say, this is THE only site and for that reason I have always been of the opinion that Bruce at the very least reads this board.

As many of you guys have bet your testicles and lost on this board, I'll wager mine that he also posts. Tongue

You loose.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2012, 03:21:29 AM »

How loose?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 04:40:38 AM »

"I Only Have Eyes For You" by the Flamingos

One of the best recordings ever ! And imo "Don't talk" from Pet Sounds has the same feeling. Both songs, while technically quite different, are very similar in that sense and there's some deep connection between those two recordings imo
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:42:01 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx