gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:21:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Beatles Songs :/  (Read 39690 times)
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2012, 08:13:16 AM »

Your Mother Should Know
Revolution #9
Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
Maxwell's Sivler Hammer
Yellow Submarine
Something
Within You Without You

Some of these have a few charms, but overall I'm not a fan.
SBonilla
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2012, 08:25:21 AM »

What Goes On...complete ham jelly
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2012, 01:39:16 PM »

Your Mother Should Know
Revolution #9
Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
Maxwell's Sivler Hammer
Yellow Submarine
Something
Within You Without You

something? really?
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »

Your Mother Should Know
Revolution #9
Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
Maxwell's Sivler Hammer
Yellow Submarine
Something
Within You Without You

something? really?

I think the first side of Abbey Road is pretty bad compared to most Beatles stuff to be honest. Some people love it, but the second side is much stronger IMO. But that's just me.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:43:54 PM by Scott M » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »

Your Mother Should Know
Revolution #9
Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
Maxwell's Sivler Hammer
Yellow Submarine
Something
Within You Without You

something? really?

I think the first side of Abbey Road is pretty bad compared to most Beatles stuff to be honest. Some people love it, but the second side is much stronger IMO. But that's just me.
that's a suprise lol..it's hard to pick a side lol..the first side has come together,something & oh darling but the 2nd side has here comes the sun,because,sun kind & she came in through the bathroom window...it's hurtful to choose a side lol
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2012, 09:23:28 AM »

"Something" is great, if only for Paul's incredible Bassline.  One of the best he ever did!

I think Paul passive agressively played incredible basslines on anything successful the other guys wrote.  I mean he's just on another planet on that song, the bassline is as beautiful as the lyrics are. 
GreatUrduPoet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2012, 05:35:36 AM »

Worst Beatles 'cover' song = A Taste Of Honey
Worst Beatles 'hit' song = Eight Days A Week
Worst Beatles song overall = Michelle
GreatUrduPoet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2012, 05:40:47 AM »

Run For Your Life (mainly for those misogynist lyrics)

I take it that you don't care much for Blues, Country & Western, Folk, Garage Rock etc. if that's your criteria?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2012, 05:43:13 AM »

Anyone who said 'You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)' is str8 crazy.

"Good evening, and welcome to Slaggers...'

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »

OMG, how on earth did I miss this...!?

Worst Beatles songs:
- Mr. Moonlight (except for the very beginning)
- Things We Said Today (man, how boring...)
- Long, Long, Long
- the re-make of "That Means A Lot"
- Lady Madonna (mainly because...it's very pointless.)
- Get Back (I hate that "gallop" rhythm. Also, you can actually HEAR Macca's beard in it...his voice sounds weird. Much prefer the earlier more rockin' takes)

BTW, cablegeddon -- You knocked "Sun King" because it rips off Fleetwood Mac. (I can't stand Fleetwood Mac, so you gotta clue me in here...what was the ripoff?) You said "that's below them." Ummmmm...no, not really -- "Sun King" is a John Lennon song...and Lennon was notorious for ripping stuff off:
- first line of "Run For Your Life" --> stolen "Baby, Let's Play House"
- "Happy Xmas" --> "Stewball"
- "Remember" --> steals lyrics from "Bring It On Home To Me"
- "Remember" --> steals from the extended fadeout of "Something" (yet to be released)
- "Come Together" --> steals from "You Can't Catch Me"

BTW, on the SAME ALBUM, the "Golden Slumbers" lyrics are cribbed from a completely different, much older song called "Golden Slumbers" for which Macca had the sheet music. Problem: he couldn't read music (and I think to this day he doesn't know how to read music -- when he writes arrangements for other musicians, he plays 'em into a computer via MIDI), so he made up his own. So on the same side of the same album, two different Beatles apparently stoop to stealing. Smiley

And to add more discredit to the "that's below them" thought:

George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" --> intended to be a ripoff of "Oh Happy Day" --> judge sez no, it was a ripoff of "He's So Fine"

And something off of one of Ringo's solo albums from the last several years (one of the ones produced by Mark Hudson) takes lyrics directly from "Alley Oop."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »

BTW, cablegeddon -- You knocked "Sun King" because it rips off Fleetwood Mac. (I can't stand Fleetwood Mac, so you gotta clue me in here...what was the ripoff?) You said "that's below them." Ummmmm...no, not really -- "Sun King" is a John Lennon song...and Lennon was notorious for ripping stuff off:
- first line of "Run For Your Life" --> stolen "Baby, Let's Play House"
- "Happy Xmas" --> "Stewball"
- "Remember" --> steals lyrics from "Bring It On Home To Me"
- "Remember" --> steals from the extended fadeout of "Something" (yet to be released)
- "Come Together" --> steals from "You Can't Catch Me"

BTW, on the SAME ALBUM, the "Golden Slumbers" lyrics are cribbed from a completely different, much older song called "Golden Slumbers" for which Macca had the sheet music. Problem: he couldn't read music (and I think to this day he doesn't know how to read music -- when he writes arrangements for other musicians, he plays 'em into a computer via MIDI), so he made up his own. So on the same side of the same album, two different Beatles apparently stoop to stealing. Smiley

Listen back to back......Fleetwood Mac - Albatross -> Sun King. Help and a couple of other Lennons songs are up there as my favorite Beatles songs so I really hope Lennon did more that just steal throughout his career. It would kill me if I found out that he's just a theif  Cry

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2012, 01:34:58 PM »

This sounds blasphemous, but I still have a hard time getting into the Beatles British albums pre-Pepper. Best example: Rubber Soul. Having heard this album since I was in grade school with "I've Just Seen a Face" kicking it off, it just feels totally wrong to open with "Drive My Car", which is one of my least favorite Beatles songs, anyway. I just hate Macca's vocal tone on it, and the lyrics. "What Goes On?" is just a bad attempt at writing a Carl Perkins style number. The flow of the US RS vs the UK is completely different. And I think Capitol improved the early albums by including the hit singles, which were always strong. When I wanna hear the Fab Four at their best, I always reach for Meet the Beatles, Beatles '65, Beatles VI, or Rubber Soul.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »

The Beatles hold such a place in my heart I generally enjoy almost every song.  Any song you guys mentioned I thought "Oh hell no!". 
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2012, 07:45:06 PM »

Roughly 25% of the White Album.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2012, 03:29:49 AM »

For me nothing special are these tracks: Eight days a week, Across the universe, For no one, Get back, Two of us, Mr Moonlight, Mother nature son, Girl, Something, Ask me why, Please Mr Postman, Lady Madonna, Anna (Go to him), Paperback writer, I'm only sleeping, Only a northern song, The long & winding road, Let it be, Golden Slumbers, I wanna hold your hand, Happiness is a warm gun, Sexy Sadie, Here there and everywhere, Hold me tight, You've really got a hold on me, Yer Blues, I want you (She's so heavy), I'm happy just to dance with you, The Ballad of John & Yoko, P.S. I love you, Till there with you, I'm looking through you, In my life, It's only love, Honey Pie, Misery, She's leaving you, The night before, The Word, Don't bother me, I wanna be your man, Mean Mr Mustard, Not a second time, Michelle, It won't be long, I want to tell you, Love you to, Come together, Hello Goodbye, Blackbird, Baby it's you, All together now, All my loving, All you need is love, A day in the life, Lucy in the sky with diamonds. That's the whole list. Others I like (love) or at least don't skip and listen to as background music while doing dull work.                 
this saddens me deeply :/
MBE
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2012, 03:45:30 AM »

Mr. Moonlight, Within You, When I'm 64, Blue Jay Way, Bungalow Bill, Honey Pie, Revolution 9, Good Night, What's The New Mary Jane, You Know My Name. As a group I think only these ten are downright bad. Solo it's another story.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »

For me nothing special are these tracks: Eight days a week, Across the universe, For no one, Get back, Two of us, Mr Moonlight, Mother nature son, Girl, Something, Ask me why, Please Mr Postman, Lady Madonna, Anna (Go to him), Paperback writer, I'm only sleeping, Only a northern song, The long & winding road, Let it be, Golden Slumbers, I wanna hold your hand, Happiness is a warm gun, Sexy Sadie, Here there and everywhere, Hold me tight, You've really got a hold on me, Yer Blues, I want you (She's so heavy), I'm happy just to dance with you, The Ballad of John & Yoko, P.S. I love you, Till there with you, I'm looking through you, In my life, It's only love, Honey Pie, Misery, She's leaving you, The night before, The Word, Don't bother me, I wanna be your man, Mean Mr Mustard, Not a second time, Michelle, It won't be long, I want to tell you, Love you to, Come together, Hello Goodbye, Blackbird, Baby it's you, All together now, All my loving, All you need is love, A day in the life, Lucy in the sky with diamonds. That's the whole list. Others I like (love) or at least don't skip and listen to as background music while doing dull work.                 

I think the root of the problem here is that you don't like the beatles.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »

Hilarious.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »

List of crappy Beatles song off the top of my head (66-onwards)

Michelle
Run for Your Life
Dr Robert
Yellow Submarine (fun for kids i guess)

Sgt Pepper:
everything Paul McCartney wrote apart from title track&reprise (lots of random filler and granny tunes, not good)
Good Morning Good Morning (weak lennon song)
How can Sgt Pepper have so much praise with so many random Mccartney songs is beyond me, dandy cover I guess..

Your Mother Should Know
Baby you're A rich Man

White album:
littered with filler and trash, but one that is very popular is Obladi Oblada, worst song of their career. wtf McCartney.
Half the album is shite, the rest is very good!

Maxwell
Mean mr mustard
polythene pam
bedroom window
golden slumbers

Most of Let It Be is sub-par, some is ruined by Spector.
Some great songs on that too though!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »

List of crappy Beatles song off the top of my head (66-onwards)

Michelle

I think McCartney said something to this effect once but I'll reiterate that it took real balls to write a song inspired by French chanson-style at the height of the British Invasion. It's an interesting foray into another cultural style but it means nothing if one isn't aware of that style.

Run for Your Life

Yeah, this is average and it's average-ness is made worse because it is given last track authority. Compared to Tomorrow Never Knows, Day in the Life and The End, this doesn't measure up.

Dr Robert

I love Dr. Robert. Great counter-culture song with John's vocals at their draggy best.

Yellow Submarine (fun for kids i guess)

I don't understand the criticism this song gets. To me it fits in rather nicely with the Revolver aesthetic - lots of interesting experimentation, big poppy chorus, etc. There's a reason why it was another #1 hit single for The Beatles.

Sgt Pepper:
everything Paul McCartney wrote apart from title track&reprise (lots of random filler and granny tunes, not good)
Good Morning Good Morning (weak lennon song)
How can Sgt Pepper have so much praise with so many random Mccartney songs is beyond me, dandy cover I guess..

I think Getting Better is one of the best things McCartney ever did, personally. And I love how when McCartney does "When I'm 64", it's a granny tune but when Dylan did John Wesley Harding or when The Band did their self-titled album, it was roots music. When I'm 64 (and other Macca songs like it) explored English roots in a way that very few other British artists were doing (aside, particularly, from Ray Davies). McCartney shouldn't be criticitized because he decided to stop appropriating other cultural roots music (American blues) for a while in order to explore his own roots.

Baby you're A rich Man

What?Huh This is one of the finest pieces of psychedelia from the 60s.

littered with filler and trash, but one that is very popular is Obladi Oblada, worst song of their career. wtf McCartney.

A good Caribbean-inspired number. What's the problem with it?

Mean mr mustard
polythene pam
bedroom window
golden slumbers

To me those songs are part of a suite that may very well be the best thing The Beatles ever did. To take out the individual parts and criticize them is more than unfair, as far as I'm concerned.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »

Anyone who said 'You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)' is str8 crazy.

"Good evening, and welcome to Slaggers...'

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »

All I saw was he started his post with "Nothing special about these songs: Eight Days a Week" and I didn't even read the rest of them. 

How in the hell can you not see anyting special in Eight Days a Week?

Here, I'll mention just 1.  The song fades in.  How many songs do that? 

So, what that means is: the song is special before it even BEGINS.  It's like they're in another room somewhere being cool, and you just get to walk in on it or something.  There, that covers the first 5 seconds of the song, i'm sure somebody else can cover the rest of it Smiley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »

I can't think of any Beatles song I would classify as "worst". I think my least favorites are Long Long Long and Savoy Truffle. Everything else is great for me.
GreatUrduPoet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 03, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »

All I saw was he started his post with "Nothing special about these songs: Eight Days a Week" and I didn't even read the rest of them. 

So, what that means is: the song is special before it even BEGINS.  It's like they're in another room somewhere being cool, and you just get to walk in on it or something.  There, that covers the first 5 seconds of the song, i'm sure somebody else can cover the rest of it Smiley

Unfortunately, that's the ONLY thing special about 'Eight Days A Week'.
When you get past the fade-in it's just a lazy blues shuffle with oddly
uninspired and formulaic lyrics for the Lennon/McCartney team. The
whole thing just plods along, waiting for those hand claps. The Rolling
Stones brazenly appropriated the hook for 'I'm Free' from this Beatles
hit...but at least they added a tasty guitar solo and quirky falsetto
backing vocals to off-set the sad mediocrity that is 'Eight Days A Week'.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2012, 09:56:01 AM »

Unfortunately, that's the ONLY thing special about 'Eight Days A Week'.
When you get past the fade-in it's just a lazy blues shuffle with oddly
uninspired and formulaic lyrics for the Lennon/McCartney team. The
whole thing just plods along, waiting for those hand claps. The Rolling
Stones brazenly appropriated the hook for 'I'm Free' from this Beatles
hit...but at least they added a tasty guitar solo and quirky falsetto
backing vocals to off-set the sad mediocrity that is 'Eight Days A Week'.

It isn't a blues shuffle. Though it does have bluesy phrasing. That's like calling Wake Up Little Susie blues.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx