gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:12:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which BB's songs are better in stereo?  (Read 7621 times)
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2012, 01:23:02 AM »

I love PS in stereo, bar one track - YSBIM. BW's voice needs to be double-tracked on that one, it's far richer and more soaring. Alas, the double track wasn't available on the existing multitracks.

If I understand correctly, this latest release of the album that people are talking about features the lead vocal restored to all of its double-tracked glory.

It seems nobody is sure how they were able get the doubled vocal in as I believe it was previously assumed to have been recorded live during the final mixdown.

You sure you aren't thinking of the restored bridge of "Wouldn't It Be Nice?"

Always preferred "You Still Believe In Me" with the single vocal.

No, he's right. The vocal is now double tracked on the mofi version.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »

if with headphones: all of PS and Smile (i use the Smile A.D 4 mix)
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 07:54:32 AM »

Where do you find the stereo versions of She Knows Me and Please Let Me Wonder?  That would be very interesting to listen to.

For me, Let the Wind Blow in stereo makes it a bit more interesting.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2012, 07:59:46 AM »

The stereo mix Mark Linett did for "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is remarkable.

I plan on starting work on a stereo mix of the alternate vocal version soon. Should be pretty cool!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 08:01:06 AM »

Where do you find the stereo versions of She Knows Me and Please Let Me Wonder?  That would be very interesting to listen to.

For me, Let the Wind Blow in stereo makes it a bit more interesting.
PLMW (stereo) is on The Warmth of the Sun, SKMTW (stereo) is on the 2008 Singles Collection (if I'm not mistaken).

The stereo mix of PLMW is breathtaking.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »

Agree with all of Pet Sounds; great stereo mix.

Sadly, I don't much care for the "Hawthorne" stereo mix of Heroes & Villains, not so much because of the mix, but the added reverb. I like my Heroes dry, or close to it.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

I love PS in stereo, bar one track - YSBIM. BW's voice needs to be double-tracked on that one, it's far richer and more soaring. Alas, the double track wasn't available on the existing multitracks.

If I understand correctly, this latest release of the album that people are talking about features the lead vocal restored to all of its double-tracked glory.

It seems nobody is sure how they were able get the doubled vocal in as I believe it was previously assumed to have been recorded live during the final mixdown.

I'd still like to hear an official explanation from MFSL regarding how they did this.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2012, 10:49:38 AM »

I find that most of the new stereo mixes have alot of extra reverb applied. Either that, or a mono mix really hid this!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »

I really liked the stereo remixes of the Summer Days stuff on the Warmth of the Sun comp and other various locations. They won't replace the mono in my heart, but they were nice to hear. I wouldn't mind having that whole record in stereo, if possible (*HINT*).

On the flipside, all the Today remixes (aside from Kiss Me Baby) sounded...wrong. Can't pinpoint it, but things like "When I Grow Up" and "Dance Dance Dance" bug me. Maybe that one just wasn't meant to be heard in stereo (not that I would'nt buy a stereo remix if it were offered....*HINT*).

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »

I find that most of the new stereo mixes have alot of extra reverb applied. Either that, or a mono mix really hid this!

Right - also, the stereo field is very narrow. Pet Sounds (in stereo) has a pretty nice and wide soundstage - Let Him Run Wild, for example, does not.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 12:38:42 PM »

I'd still like to hear an official explanation from MFSL regarding how they did this.
Seems to be the best kept secret in town. I asked Mark Linett on the Hoffman board before the MFSL release and he confirmed it, but never explained how it came about.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 01:32:52 PM »

Going back to the compression thing again, here is a comparison for Please Let me Wonder - Single track Mono Mix on top, bottom 2 are the stereo mix.

I always thought the chorus hardly leaps out in the stereo mix like it does in the Mono mix, and this image clearly confirms why - the wave hardly changes!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »

I've always thought Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!!) was recorded on similar equipment to what was used on Pet Sounds - is this correct? If so, I was wondering why the stereo mix turned out lightyears better on Pet Sounds. I get Pet Sounds' arrangements lend it to being a better album to hear in stereo, but I can't help but feel that the Summer Days stuff would sound nearly as good if it weren't so heavily lathered in reverb and if their was more room for the waveform to breathe.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »

i loooove PLMW in stereo. The Summer Love Songs mix doesn't have the reverb of the Warmth of the Sun version either.  My problem with the mono version on Today is that it sounds muddier than the other songs, and that it was recorded on lesser equipment.

Let him run wild stereo disappointed me though, didn't help that the vocals were in one channel.  It didn't' sound as good as the mono either, which surprised me cause that song felt like one that would be wonderful in stereo.  coulda just been a bad mix.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2012, 07:35:58 AM »

Wow, hadn't noticed that until now. Thanks for the heads up. The stereo version on the US Singles Collection sounds like the TWOTS remix. I didn't check the booklet, but I have the Summer Love Songs remix dated as 2005, whereas the other two, I have as 2007. I wonder if this Summer Love Songs remix really is an earlier stab at a stereo version?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:36:51 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,