gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:52:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which BB's songs are better in stereo?  (Read 7620 times)
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 08:51:26 AM »

I gotta say one that sounds way better in mono is "Please Let Me Wonder". It sounds so powerful in mono, and in stereo, it just doesn't have that same kick to me.

I'm with you on this. Of the newer stereo remix, Please Let Me Wonder is the only one I don't care for. Maybe there's too much separation in the stereo mix? The muddy mono mix adds to the mood. What a song though, so beautiful.

The other stereo mixes on the Warmth of the Sun comp. are great though; really jump out of the speakers at you.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »

I see that on this US Singles collection from 2008 there is a stereo backing track for Do You Wanna Dance. Is there a good sounding stereo version with the vocals? Has anyone else tried synching the stereo instrumental with the Today! version?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »

There's a really cookin' "California Girls" stereo mix on something where you can hear the drums really good.  That's my favorite version of that song without a doubt, I guess maybe it was on Endless Harmony?

As for compression, of course compression is on everything, and then they use it again when they master.  Some people bitch about it, and it does kind of suck when it's overdone.  I think it comes down to the people involved trying to make it sound as good as possible on all kinds of speaker setups. 

The WORST mixing I've ever heard was on Oasis' early stuff.  That was probably the first time when I woud listen to a cd, then play that one, and then afterwards the rest of my cd's sounded muddy because the Oasis CD was mixed so horribly.

Bands like Cake have somebody working for them that mixes their stuff to perfection.  You can hear every note, of every instrument, seperate from every other instrument.  Not that that would always be the best sound, but it works for what they do. 
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »

So actually, I listened to a bit of the stereo mix of "Please Let Me Wonder" and I gotta say it really is even with the mono mix for me. I can take either. It finally just hit me. It does allow the track to breathe a bit more with the stereo mix.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »

I think the mono mixes are superior on all tracks that had a mono mix until around '69.
By 1969 they were all stereo, except Cottonfields. But you are correct, the hit recordings had a lot more punch in mono.

Well, that's not really true -- I was thinking specifically of the mono mix of 'add some music' (which sounds better in stereo I'd say) ... but actually, the mono mixes of 'susie cincinatti' and 'cottonfields' are better than the stereo mixes.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »

Aren't all the mono hits compressed, as well? Isn't that why most have that extra punch to them? Radio stations compressed them even more for broadcast. Rock and Roll is nothing but compression.

the original 45s are pretty compressed.  but not hard-limited.

Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 05:59:42 AM »

There's a really cookin' "California Girls" stereo mix on something where you can hear the drums really good.  That's my favorite version of that song without a doubt, I guess maybe it was on Endless Harmony?

I listened to the different versions the other day and I think the one you're after with the prominent drums (a bit too prominent for my taste) is on Endless Harmony. I love listening to all these mixes side by side and picking out the differences!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 06:02:36 AM »

There's a really cookin' "California Girls" stereo mix on something where you can hear the drums really good.  That's my favorite version of that song without a doubt, I guess maybe it was on Endless Harmony?
I listened to the different versions the other day and I think the one you're after with the prominent drums (a bit too prominent for my taste) is on Endless Harmony. I love listening to all these mixes side by side and picking out the differences!
Endless Harmony, Version 1 for stereo and Greatest Hits- Vol.1 for the single mono mix.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:14:43 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 12:46:15 AM »

Aren't all the mono hits compressed, as well? Isn't that why most have that extra punch to them? Radio stations compressed them even more for broadcast. Rock and Roll is nothing but compression.

Perhaps they did - apparently, the studio dudes would use "Dobly A301" in "record stretch" mode to make the song sound hi-fi on AM radio (I swiped that from the Bruce Bostnik liners for the Doors CD '06 Rhino release)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 11:25:38 PM »

Yeah; I hate it when you want to hear your 'favorite' version, but you're playing the CD with some 'inferior' version on it.  Then you have to decide if you're going to switch it, or if you're going to fight the urge to be that damn anal about it, lol. 

"Noooooo! This is the one WITHOUT the drums turned way up loud! sh*t!"

I gotta admit usually I change it. 
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 09:41:20 AM »

Me too I just deleted the 2009 mix of She Knows Me Too Well out of my Spotify playlist and replaced it with the "proper" version! There that showed 'em!  LOL
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 10:27:09 AM »

I see that on this US Singles collection from 2008 there is a stereo backing track for Do You Wanna Dance. Is there a good sounding stereo version with the vocals? Has anyone else tried synching the stereo instrumental with the Today! version?

About a year ago I put together this mix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj91gwuONM), which combines that stereo track with a vocal track of, ah, dubious origins.

I'm not aware of a sync with the mono mix, probably because it's so easy to run into phase issues, but it's probably doable with enough patience.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 06:52:50 PM »

There's compression and then there's too much compression, though, y'know? I used to be extremely critical of these sorts of things, but nowadays I'm pretty lax as long as I'm listening to a good song. Some of the Beach Boys stereo mixes just have a world of it going on, though, and not even necessarily on the master - the individual tracks within the mix just sound extremely compressed and I'm puzzled as to why.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 07:51:34 PM »

What I want to know is when the 2001 remasters came out, everyone raved about how much better these CDs sounded, especially when reading reviews. I tend to agree with that assessment when compared to the NR'd 1990 releases. The 2001 remasters really bring out the background vocals. When played back in HDCD they sound really nice and not too loud. Yet, by 2006 or so, I start reading how terrible they are. To this day the 1990 CDs sound lackluster to my ears, like they have no energy. The 2000 Brother remasters are a big improvement over the Epic/Caribou releases. Most of those Epic releases sound muddy and distant. People rave about the flat transfers of Japanese Past Masters series, though these releases do not sound like the LPs either. I really wonder if there is a happy medium in the CD realm where they can get the catalog sounding as originally intended?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 10:43:02 PM »

About a year ago I put together this mix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj91gwuONM), which combines that stereo track with a vocal track of, ah, dubious origins.

I'm not aware of a sync with the mono mix, probably because it's so easy to run into phase issues, but it's probably doable with enough patience.

Thanks. Don't know if I personally have the patience for it though.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 07:39:20 PM »

GOOD TO MY BABY isnt that nice in stereo Razz
MBE
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »

Mono all the way for me.
Paulos
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 05:15:12 AM »

Listening to the stereo remixes of She Knows Me Too Well and Please Let Me Wonder were a revelation to me, always liked those songs when listening to Today! but never loved them until I heard them in stereo. Same can be said for all the other stereo remixes of Today! tracks.
Paulos
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 05:21:49 AM »

The mono mix is good for GTMB but the stereo mix allows you to hear the horns in the verses, I found this also with California Girls - never realised there were horns on the song until I heard the stereo remixes.
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »

I think most of the Today songs sounds great with the separation of the stereo mixes, and a real shame about the missing overdubs for SKMTW as it's certainly lacking without them.

Fun, fun, fun - I just cannot imagine liking a stereo version over the single mono version on the US capitol boxset. The power and drive of that mono version is just brilliant.

Why do fools fall in love - I like hearing the new intro but totally get why he probably canned it. It's soooo sloppy. The timings are too out to be released as anything but a novelty.

Pet Sounds - The new mofi stereo is now definitive for me! Unbelievable. One question. Has anyone ever remixed a mono version using the multitracks? I seriously reckon a decent mono mix could be done to mimick Brian's mix, yet avoiding the muddiness of the second generation, bounced down copy that is hauled around for releases now. I know certain key parts would still be missing as per stereo vs mono but is that a stoopid idea?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:52:29 AM by adam78 » Logged
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2012, 12:44:52 PM »

I love PS in stereo, bar one track - YSBIM. BW's voice needs to be double-tracked on that one, it's far richer and more soaring. Alas, the double track wasn't available on the existing multitracks.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »

The mono mix is good for GTMB but the stereo mix allows you to hear the horns in the verses, I found this also with California Girls - never realised there were horns on the song until I heard the stereo remixes.
yes but i couldnt hear the vocals that much :/
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »

Mono all the way for me.

Yes
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »

I love PS in stereo, bar one track - YSBIM. BW's voice needs to be double-tracked on that one, it's far richer and more soaring. Alas, the double track wasn't available on the existing multitracks.

If I understand correctly, this latest release of the album that people are talking about features the lead vocal restored to all of its double-tracked glory.

It seems nobody is sure how they were able get the doubled vocal in as I believe it was previously assumed to have been recorded live during the final mixdown.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »

If I understand correctly, this latest release of the album that people are talking about features the lead vocal restored to all of its double-tracked glory.

It seems nobody is sure how they were able get the doubled vocal in as I believe it was previously assumed to have been recorded live during the final mixdown.

You sure you aren't thinking of the restored bridge of "Wouldn't It Be Nice?"

Always preferred "You Still Believe In Me" with the single vocal.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx