gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680973 Posts in 27624 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 03:26:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which BB's songs are better in stereo?  (Read 7643 times)
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2012, 07:59:40 AM »

Just been listening to various remasters of different songs and it's crazy how much some of them differ between stereo and mono. I think the 2008 stereo version of She Knows Me Too Well is hugely inferior to previous versions, Brian's voice sounds much weaker and the separation between the voices ruins the harmonic blend. Similarly if you listen to the 2009 stereo remaster of Don't Worry Baby the drum intro is different which spoils it for me a bit. On the other hand I do think songs like Kiss Me Baby and That's Not Me work better in stereo and are less muddy as a result.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »

When listening to the stereo remixes, it's important to consider how much of the problem is it being an inferior mix vs. simply letting your ears get used to the differences in the two versions. As someone who got into the group fairly late in the game, with compilations that largely featured stereo remixes, this actually bugged me in the reverse direction. I couldn't listen to the original mono mixes without wanting that separation.

Enough listens later, nowadays I don't find myself regularly finding one mix of a song vastly superior to another, but here are a few remixes I strongly prefer:

- California Girls
- Then I Kissed Her
- Please Let Me Wonder
- Kiss Me, Baby
- Break Away

(I'll also somewhat agree with you on She Knows Me Too Well and disagree on Don't Worry Baby -- I think the whole remix, including the drum intro, sounds wonderful.)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:21:51 AM »

"She Knows Me Too Well" is one of those stereo mixes that are missing one or more key overdubs available only on the original mono mix (the guitar solo being one of them, I believe). I agree the mono sounds quite a bit better for this track.

I tend to think most of the stereo remixes sound better than the original mono...or at least as good.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:22:37 AM »

WIBN in stereo is amazing.

Don't Worry Baby (2009) is another one of my favorites (especially with studio headphones on)....is it the tone in the drums on that version that spoils it for you? (to me they seem more muffled on the stereo version - but I still love it!).

PS, thanks for mentioning the stereo 'She Knows Me Too Well' - had no idea that existed - I agree, Brian's vocals sound weaker on that version....still nice to hear the background vocals in stereo.

Also, I really like Fun Fun Fun in stereo over mono.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:29:31 AM »

I think most of the Pet Sounds tracks lend themselves to stereo really well, Wouldn't It Be Nice is glorious in stereo (the one with Brian singing the bridge) and I agree that California Girls is way better in stereo. I dunno what it is about the drums in Don't Worry Baby, i've actually put the two of them side by side in Spotify and I think they sound more forceful and immediate in the stereo version, I liked when they sort of had a little fade in, I don't think the guitar at the start is as clear either.

It's a really interesting thing to see how different people perceive the mono and stereo versions. Thanks for responding guys  Smiley
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:35:09 AM »

^Agree. All of Pet Sounds. No question about it!

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »

Interesting with California Girls with the 2 mono and 2 stereo mixes. The 45 mono mix and the first Endless Harmony stereo mix sound similar. While the Summer Days album mono mix and the 2002 stereo mix sound similar.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »

All of pet sounds.  Pretty sure the same would be said for smile
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:23:09 AM »

Interesting with California Girls with the 2 mono and 2 stereo mixes. The 45 mono mix and the first Endless Harmony stereo mix sound similar. While the Summer Days album mono mix and the 2002 stereo mix sound similar.

I'm gonna have to check that out! I haven't noticed that before.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 09:35:05 AM »

The Single mono version (only on GH-Vol. 1) has Brian's vocal on the chorus more out front, the background vocals a little more back and the horns and drums more up front. Also, you have the longer ending fade. The album version and 2002 stereo mix has everything more blended and evened out, and shorter fade at the end.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:36:54 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 09:41:07 AM »

The Single mono version (only on GH-Vol. 1) has Brian's vocal on the chorus more out front, the background vocals a little more back and the horns and drums more up front. Also, you have the longer ending fade. The album version and 2002 stereo mix has everything more blended and evened out, and shorter fade at the end.

Whoa you really can hear the difference there! It's usually the later mix I listen to and it's definitely better.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »

The mono single mix was probably mixed that way to cut through AM transistor radio. If you listen Andrew Sandoval's Endless Harmony stereo version, he mixed his the same as the single, yet Mark Linett's 2002 mix was patterned after the LP mix. Also, check out Sandoval's stereo version of Kiss Me Baby and compare it with Linett's on the two Endless Harmony CDs.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
rogerlancelot
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 09:52:33 AM »

The new stereo mix of "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" features a beautiful intro that was missing before. I also enjoy the remixes of "All Summer Long" and "Hushabye". There's absolutely nothing wrong with a stereo mix, damn it. Could you imagine if the only way you heard "Can't Wait Too Long" was in mono?

While we're on the topic, any news on a stereo Wild Honey?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »

Whoa you really can hear the difference there! It's usually the later mix I listen to and it's definitely better.
That single version has some punch to it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »

Simply put, all of them. Grin
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »

The new stereo mix of "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" features a beautiful intro that was missing before. I also enjoy the remixes of "All Summer Long" and "Hushabye". There's absolutely nothing wrong with a stereo mix, damn it. Could you imagine if the only way you heard "Can't Wait Too Long" was in mono?

While we're on the topic, any news on a stereo Wild Honey?

Ah yes that version of Why Do Fools is sublime, I was actually just reading about that in Jon's FAQ book.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »

I think the mono mixes are superior on all tracks that had a mono mix until around '69.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »

I think the mono mixes are superior on all tracks that had a mono mix until around '69.
By 1969 they were all stereo, except Cottonfields. But you are correct, the hit recordings had a lot more punch in mono.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 06:27:25 PM »

I think the version of "Heroes And Villains" on Classics Selected by Brian Wilson and Hawthorne just blasts out of the speakers.  Definitely a favorite. The stereo "California Girls" from Endless Harmony is amazing. As for Pet Sounds, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "God Only Knows" really work in stereo.

I gotta say one that sounds way better in mono is "Please Let Me Wonder". It sounds so powerful in mono, and in stereo, it just doesn't have that same kick to me.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »

i'll disagree on please let me wonder. That song benefits from an updated sound, the original recording is so muddy.  The stereo versions sound super crisp and i love that
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »

Some songs would be great in stereo if not for everything being compressed to holy hell and the waveforms resembling my ass. imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 11:52:50 PM »

Salt Lake City owns every song ever written when it's Mark Linett's hot-ass Stereo Mix from a few years ago that was on the Hawthorne album.  Sounds unbelievable, it sounds like a Jerry Lee Lewis song or something, it's electric and what Rock and Roll's all about!

Maybe not better than EVERY song... but MOST songs. 
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:21 AM »

Some songs would be great in stereo if not for everything being compressed to holy hell and the waveforms resembling my ass. imo.
Getting your pants on must be a major struggle.

But yeah, the compression thing must end.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 07:12:08 AM »

Salt Lake City owns every song ever written when it's Mark Linett's hot-ass Stereo Mix from a few years ago that was on the Hawthorne album.  Sounds unbelievable, it sounds like a Jerry Lee Lewis song or something, it's electric and what Rock and Roll's all about!

Maybe not better than EVERY song... but MOST songs. 

Haha you're probably right! I actually love Salt Lake City, it gets dismissed a lot because of the subject matter but musically it kicks so much a$$!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 08:11:18 AM »

Aren't all the mono hits compressed, as well? Isn't that why most have that extra punch to them? Radio stations compressed them even more for broadcast. Rock and Roll is nothing but compression.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,