gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:18:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys - A Vocal Element: Live 1967  (Read 5459 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2006, 08:20:57 AM »

Anyone see or hear of the bootleg mentioned on this thread?

http://www.bootlegzone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=45129&sid=be402f099bf73c646edb2da8806217b6

Beach Boys - A Vocal Element: Live 1967

HANG TEN HT 002/003

WINTER TOUR OF USA Nov.1967 (STEREO SBD)

DISC 1:

Tour Opener, Nov. 17, Detroit,MI

01 Brian & Carl-Promo 02 Barbara Ann 03 Darlin' 04 Country Air 05 I Get Around 06 How She Boogalooed It 07 Wouldn't It Be Nice 08 God Only Knows 09 California Girls 10 Wild Honey 11 Good Vibrations 12 Johnny B.Goode 13 Al & Dennis Promos Nov.23rd, Back Bay Theatre , Boston MA 14 Help Me Rhonda 15 Darlin'16 Surfer Girl 17 Wouldn't It Be Nice 18 God Only Knows 19 California Girls 20 Wild Honey 21 Good Vibrations 22 I Get Around 23 Sloop John B 24 Graduation Day

DISC 2:

01 Promo W /Former Beatles Publlcist, Derek Taylor 02 Help Me Rhonda 03 Barbara Ann 04 Darlin' 05 Surfer Girl 06 Wouldn't It Be Nice 07 God Only Knows 08 California Girls 09 Wild Honey 10 Graduation Day 11 Good Vibrations 12 Promo-Mike Nov 22 Pittsburgh, PA 13 Help Me Rhonda 14 I Get Around 15 Darlin' 16 Surfer Girl 17 Wouldn't It Be Nice 18 God Only Knows 19 California Girls 20 Wild Honey 21 Good Vibrations 22 Johnny B.Goode 23 Graduation Day 24 Sloop John B.25 More Promos!! 26 Mike & Derek Taylor

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:39:02 AM »

I saw it mentioned in the new issue of Ice Magazine.....hope to hear it ASAP....
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 02:08:48 AM »

Should have a copy within the next three or four days - will let you know how it hangs!

“We live in divisive times.”
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 06:12:47 AM »

"How She Boogalooed It" live... wow.  I heard about a late 1967 concert that Brian was present for.. wonder if this is it.
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 02:21:20 PM »

If anybody gets this, please let me know. I am crazy for live Beach Boy material.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:59:46 AM »

Heh...I used the same photo for my copy of the Washington DC '67 gig....

Looks like its a good one.

I need more live BB shows!   Evil

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 12:10:53 PM »

If anybody gets this, please let me know. I am crazy for live Beach Boy material.

So am I. Please let me know if anybody got it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 11:23:22 PM »

I've heard the set now and it's great -  crystal clear sound and some asides from Mike that set the period -  taking the mickey out of Al for being the only BB on stage to wear a stripey shirt (that's my interpretation if it!), comments about Nick Grillo's fees, self denegaration of how Smiley Smile sold and relentless pumping of the forthcoming Wild Honey album.

There's an attempt at performing the Leid in Haiwaii Calif Girls fade that's written off there and then on stage, wiyth more self-mocking.

The promo spots all sound familiar but there's more to some of them than has been released before -  a few seconds here and there.

Packaging is a bit ugly but that's a matter of personal taste -  it's a great set.

Only thing that bugs me is that one of the gigs doesn't seem to be attributed to a date, and they're not in chronological order which maks it harder to tell when it's from. Badman doesn't give all set lists for that brief period, and the set lists he does give don't exactly correspond with what's here anyway.

Anyone checked it against Eric Anniversario's site? I've misplaced the link...

Gonna be giving it a good, proper listen over the next two days - I've nothing else to do while I drive 700 miles, given that smoking in hire cars is now banned in Scotland...

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 11:33:58 PM »

Oh aye, I think there might also be a vocal contribution from a member of Buffalo Springfield -  there's a really gruff vocal at one stage and the Springfield gets a mention to the audience at the end...  like I say, I'll be listening close for a while now!

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 06:18:27 AM »

Well, I really liked the Washington DC gig from the same period, so I am excited about this release. The DC show is a lot of fun. Mike is pretty funny. Great stuff.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 11:37:16 PM »

Oh aye, I think there might also be a vocal contribution from a member of Buffalo Springfield -  there's a really gruff vocal at one stage and the Springfield gets a mention to the audience at the end...  like I say, I'll be listening close for a while now!

Please tell me it's Neil Young.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 01:18:30 PM »

Please tell me it's Neil Young.

I haven't heard it, but "gruff" would seem to indicate Dewey Martin's voice.

I gotta hear me this set!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 10:33:54 AM »

Played the track to a CSNY fan the other day and he thought it might actually be Stephen Stills... I couldn't begin to guess myself. Sure ain't Neil Young though. But having listened to the discs again I'm guessing that the Buffalo Springfield were on the same bill that night (and others of this collection) and joined the BBs on stage for the final chorus of Sloop John B on the night in qustion.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 11:18:24 AM »

Apparently this is the tour that gave Neil Young such negative impressions of Mike Love that persist to this day.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 07:52:35 PM »

If anyone knows where I might be able to find or stream a copy I'd love to give it a listen...

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 04:13:34 AM »

Apparently this is the tour that gave Neil Young such negative impressions of Mike Love that persist to this day.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx