gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:56:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love's Celebration band & album(s)  (Read 28489 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »

'any on, some confusion being sowed... Aren't we talking Disco Celebration (1979, ADC Records LS-4052) as being the valuable rarity, not the original synonymous Celebration LP?
There's some question as to whether Disco Celebration was actually released, but that's much rarer then Celebration. It's also considerably worse than any LP you've ever heard.

Ahh you're all full of bunk. Of course it was released. I've got it. Took seemingly forever to find!  It was on a small label, nobody wanted it and most of them  that didn't get recycled are sitting in a warehouse somewhere( I think in Paraguay with the Honeys Box Set )  waiting for the REAL Disco resurgence. But I don't want everyone here to have to take AGD's word for the sound, so open your hearts to Mike Love:  

Here's the back cover:  

And you can get side 1 here:            http://www.sendspace.com/file/vy721v  

And Side 2 here:        http://www.sendspace.com/file/btmz0x

May have been pressed and shrink-wrapped, but I've yet to find anyone who bought one in a store. Asked Ron about it and he thought it was 'released' as a freebie with Amex.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2012, 01:59:35 AM »

Me want…

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2012, 02:40:07 AM »

First Love is fine but the rest...
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 11:51:18 AM »

Indeed, "California Girls" has to be heard to believed, as someone stated upthread. I am once again shocked Mike Love doesn't do drugs and never did. I guess he didn't have much to do with this album though, viewing it as a "franchise" of the venerable Celebration brand.

Incidentally, does anyone know if these recordings are now in the public domain?

- B00ts
SBonilla
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2012, 12:32:37 PM »

Indeed, "California Girls" has to be heard to believed, as someone stated upthread. I am once again shocked Mike Love doesn't do drugs and never did. I guess he didn't have much to do with this album though, viewing it as a "franchise" of the venerable Celebration brand.

Incidentally, does anyone know if these recordings are now in the public domain?
No, but  in about 85 years, or so, they will be.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:25:53 PM by SBonilla » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2012, 12:33:44 AM »

I am once again shocked Mike Love doesn't do drugs and never did.

Think you need BB Remedial 101 - all the band have done drugs at sometime or other, except Bruce. Yes, even Brian, as unbelievable as that may seem.  Smiley

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2012, 02:45:00 AM »

'any on, some confusion being sowed... Aren't we talking Disco Celebration (1979, ADC Records LS-4052) as being the valuable rarity, not the original synonymous Celebration LP?
There's some question as to whether Disco Celebration was actually released, but that's much rarer then Celebration. It's also considerably worse than any LP you've ever heard.

Ahh you're all full of bunk. Of course it was released. I've got it. Took seemingly forever to find!  It was on a small label, nobody wanted it and most of them  that didn't get recycled are sitting in a warehouse somewhere( I think in Paraguay with the Honeys Box Set )  waiting for the REAL Disco resurgence. But I don't want everyone here to have to take AGD's word for the sound, so open your hearts to Mike Love: 

And you can get side 1 here:            http://www.sendspace.com/file/vy721v   

And Side 2 here:        http://www.sendspace.com/file/btmz0x

Am I a numpty or what?  Hadn't spotted the links!

Million thanks Bgas, listening now and loving it… "c'mon, let's party, are you ready?"

bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2013, 02:00:50 AM »

Sorry, links don't work...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2013, 02:25:48 AM »

Ahh you're all full of bunk. Of course it was released. I've got it. Took seemingly forever to find!  It was on a small label, nobody wanted it and most of them  that didn't get recycled are sitting in a warehouse somewhere( I think in Paraguay with the Honeys Box Set )  waiting for the REAL Disco resurgence.

Not arguing it was pressed up and shrinkwrapped, but when I spoke with Ron last century he told me it never got past that stage and that all the albums were bought by a credit card company to give away as a freebie. Apparently they never did.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2013, 04:39:14 AM »

[...] Yes, even Brian, as unbelievable as that may seem.  Smiley
Weak case of sarcasm directed at Brianistas (?) or is there actually something I'm not getting here? I thought it was firmly established (even to the very general audience) that Brian, next to dear Denny, was the BBs' prime example for drug-induced shenanigans + lunacy? I don't know anybody who wouldn't say so.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2013, 08:34:39 AM »

Sorry, links don't work...

Yeah, my links last about a week I think. Long enough to grab them if you want to hear em.
Here they are again, last time I ever post this stuff; save it for your future friends: 

Side 1:  http://www.sendspace.com/file/7aj67f

Side 2:  http://www.sendspace.com/file/xz69b4

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »

What about a Celebration reunion? Most of the key players are around. Love, Altbach, Gary Griffen, Kowalski, Ed C....and get Stamos involved, do an Almost Summer movie remake. Keep him busy for a year or two. Wink
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2015, 02:21:43 PM »

This was starting to be knocked around in the New Album thread but I thought was better-off sidelined into its own topic. So here goes:

I have no inside knowledge, but I have a gut feeling the new album will be called 'Celebration', for good or ill. It seems to be an appropriate Beach Boys brand name for the whole 50th anniversary tour/ album package. At least the title doesn't have 'Summer' in it.

I also hope they manage to find and include at least one quality 'new' Carl lead vocal (not Soul Searchin, already released), as it seems wierd to me to have the Beach Boys without Carl (and Dennis for that matter) represented. But then, Summer in Paradise had no Brian input at all, so I guess for me, you can have the Beach Boys as long as you have at least one Wilson brother involved. Otherwise, it's a 'BB related' project.  Smiley

Bassist Brett Simons' personal website lists the title as being "Celebration."

Celebration was also the name of Mike's almost-fogotten band way back when, which did a few tracks for the Almost Summer soundtrack.

And a rather enjoyable follow up album simply named 'Celebration' , always liked 'Starbaby' and the Cover of 'Gettin' Hungry'

(Think I've sorted those quotes out now…!)

I have that Celebration album, Rob, but I also have a very vague recollection of seeing a live Celebration LP back in the day – probably around 1980, give or take a year or two. It might have been a bootleg, of course, but I've never come across a reference to it since, and sorely regret not buying it at the time. If I recall correctly, other BBs were credited as appearing.

Maybe this is getting too far off topic and would be better off in a Celebration thread I'm thinking… ah, it is!

The cover to one of the albums has a lot of live photo shots of the USC show right?  Maybe that's what you registered as being a live album?  I know when I saw it that's the impression I first got.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2015, 02:22:08 PM »

*duplicate post*
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:03:10 PM by adamghost » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »

This was starting to be knocked around in the New Album thread but I thought was better-off sidelined into its own topic. So here goes:

I have no inside knowledge, but I have a gut feeling the new album will be called 'Celebration', for good or ill. It seems to be an appropriate Beach Boys brand name for the whole 50th anniversary tour/ album package. At least the title doesn't have 'Summer' in it.

I also hope they manage to find and include at least one quality 'new' Carl lead vocal (not Soul Searchin, already released), as it seems wierd to me to have the Beach Boys without Carl (and Dennis for that matter) represented. But then, Summer in Paradise had no Brian input at all, so I guess for me, you can have the Beach Boys as long as you have at least one Wilson brother involved. Otherwise, it's a 'BB related' project.  Smiley

Celebration was also the name of Mike's almost-fogotten band way back when, which did a few tracks for the Almost Summer soundtrack.

And a rather enjoyable follow up album simply named 'Celebration' , always liked 'Starbaby' and the Cover of 'Gettin' Hungry'

I have that Celebration album, Rob, but I also have a very vague recollection of seeing a live Celebration LP back in the day – probably around 1980, give or take a year or two. It might have been a bootleg, of course, but I've never come across a reference to it since, and sorely regret not buying it at the time. If I recall correctly, other BBs were credited as appearing.

Maybe this is getting too far off topic and would be better off in a Celebration thread I'm thinking… ah, it is!

The cover to one of the albums has a lot of live photo shots of the UCLA show right?  Maybe that's what you registered as being a live album?  I know when I saw it that's the impression I first got.

Possible I gues but it's a long fine ago. I think I already had both the soundtrack LP and the Celebration  album at the time I think I saw the bootleg - but we're lokely taking three decades ago!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2015, 05:53:39 AM »

The cover to one of the albums has a lot of live photo shots of the USC show right?  Maybe that's what you registered as being a live album?  I know when I saw it that's the impression I first got.

The second album, on Mike Nesmith's Pacific Arts label, had all the UCLA pix and clippings on the front. Reportedly only 5000 were pressed. Never heard of a live Celebration boot.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »

The cover to one of the albums has a lot of live photo shots of the UCLA show right?  Maybe that's what you registered as being a live album?  I know when I saw it that's the impression I first got.

Possible I gues but it's a long fine ago. I think I already had both the soundtrack LP and the Celebration  album at the time I think I saw the bootleg - but we're lokely taking three decades ago!

Look now. That has to be it, and here's the one you probably saw; still has  29 cents written on the cover 

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2015, 08:05:03 PM »

Yup, that's the one I remember...wow, that particular Altbach photo front and center is a harsh toke, isn't it?  It's just not a very hip attractive cover even by the standards of the day.  Apologies to Dean if this is one of his'n.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »

Look now. That has to be it, and here's the one you probably saw; still has  29 cents written on the cover 

Aye but… pretty sure, as mentioned, that I already had this LP at the time I saw my suspect live LP/boot. Only thing contradicting me/making me doubt my own sanity is the fact that it doesn't look like there's ever been a Celebrafion live LP/boot!!!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2015, 11:38:39 PM »

Aye but… pretty sure, as mentioned, that I already had this LP at the time I saw my suspect live LP/boot. Only thing contradicting me/making me doubt my own sanity is the fact that it doesn't look like there's ever been a Celebrafion live LP/boot!!!

Like, who would bother?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2015, 11:50:01 PM »

Like, who would bother?

Clincher! Bgas draws a line under the matter! Grin

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2015, 06:36:34 AM »

Yup, that's the one I remember...wow, that particular Altbach photo front and center is a harsh toke, isn't it?  It's just not a very hip attractive cover even by the standards of the day.  Apologies to Dean if this is one of his'n.

At least 4 of those pictures are completely un-hip.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2015, 10:02:58 AM »

What about a Celebration reunion? Most of the key players are around. Love, Altbach, Gary Griffen, Kowalski, Ed C....and get Stamos involved, do an Almost Summer movie remake. Keep him busy for a year or two. Wink

Just in case no one has mentioned it, you've got one of the best avatars on the board.  Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2015, 12:03:34 PM »

OSD needs an avatar... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rogerlancelot
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2015, 12:16:10 PM »

Who needs Mike Love when you have Karlheinz Carl Regenberg?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx