gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:41:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love's Celebration band & album(s)  (Read 28488 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 04:26:49 PM »

There's some question as to whether Disco Celebration was actually released, but that's much rarer then Celebration. It's also considerably worse than any LP you've ever heard.
Even SIP on Vinyl? Grin
Yes it's worse. I don't know if it came out but I have one.
That is scary... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 05:37:22 PM »

More than $2.99.  Grin

There goes that retirement plan.  Sad

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »

More than $2.99.  Grin
Not as much now but I used to see these all the time in the late eighties going for peanuts. I saw so many of them it would  be more than 5000 I would guess.

Funny that it costs more for shipping then for the record!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 08:55:44 PM »

Only heard the hilariously awful "Gettin' Hungry" version. I have to wonder what possessed Mike to dig that, of all songs, back out for disco/reggae re-interpretation.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 11:21:15 PM »

What were the Beach Boys related songs on those albums?

Almost Summer
Sad, Sad Summer
Cruisin'
Gettin' Hungry
Starbaby
She's Just Out to Get You
Country Pie
I Don't Wanna Know

Maybe one or two more that I'm forgetting.

Not a bad bunch of songs though and better than quite a bit of the stuff that the BBs put out.
Just curious, what do you mean by 'Beach Boys-related' songs? Obvious "Gettin' Hungry" is a remake of a BB song, but were the others all written with the intention of being recorded by the Boys?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 11:29:01 PM »

Brian wrote Almost Summer, the band played Country Pie live during the 70's...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 11:34:16 PM »

Cool, thanks. What about the others?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Nicko1234
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 03:13:37 AM »

Cool, thanks. What about the others?

I meant as opposed to the many songs that have nothing to do with Mike or any of the other Beach Boys.

How's About a Little Bit was recorded by The Beach Boys though in a near identical version.

And I seem to remember that in AGD's liner notes for KTSA he stated that a couple of songs were considered but ultimately rejected.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 06:48:55 AM »

AGD, could you please remind the audience the story of the first time you heard "Almost Summer" on the radio? angel

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 07:33:56 AM »

I meant as opposed to the many songs that have nothing to do with Mike or any of the other Beach Boys.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Mike was a full member of Celebration, I don't think any of the songs have "nothing to do" with him.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 12:51:14 PM »

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Mike was a full member of Celebration, I don't think any of the songs have "nothing to do" with him.

Much of the "Almost Summer" Soundtrack consisted of instrumentals, so unless Mike was chicken dancing in the control room as they were being cut.....

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 01:03:51 PM »

As another posted said, there's no way that Mike appeared on all of the Celebration songs by a long way.

There are only 3 or 4 songs on that first album that will be of any interest to BB fans.

On the second album it's possible that Mike sang backing vocals on the songs that he doesn't feature on I guess.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »

ah, this is where the confusion came in. way back when, I decided only four songs on "Almost Summer" interested me and over the years forget that the other tracks on the album were even Celebration tracks. but at this point I'd be interested in hearing all of them. of course, I also have a Chris Farmer solo album and have purchased six Jeffrey Foskett songs from iTunes, so perhaps I am not the most reliable opinion.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »

AGD, could you please remind the audience the story of the first time you heard "Almost Summer" on the radio? angel

OK - back in 1978, my then-gf and I were sharing some quality time when on the radio I hear "Sum-sum-summer/And it's/Almost summer..." and I, er, paused and said "that sounds like The Beach Boys". Glare. "I'm sure that's The Beach Boys". GLARE. "No, really, that's definitely The Beach Boys", which earned me a slap, the reply "I don't believe this is happening" and the feeling that I was suddenly alone in the room.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 05:11:38 AM »

...Man, I'm glad my wife's a fan too.  If I did that, we'd probably both end up equally distracted.  :-)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 05:59:48 AM »

OK - back in 1978, my then-gf and I were sharing some quality time when on the radio I hear "Sum-sum-summer/And it's/Almost summer..." and I, er, paused and said "that sounds like The Beach Boys". Glare. "I'm sure that's The Beach Boys". GLARE. "No, really, that's definitely The Beach Boys", which earned me a slap, the reply "I don't believe this is happening" and the feeling that I was suddenly alone in the room.

You owe me a new keyboard-maybe one that's tea resistant
*pretends this has never happened to me*
 Grin
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2012, 07:11:09 AM »

I remember bringing my cassette recorder to the Beach Boys concert in Milwaukee 1978 and Mike spending a lot of time teaching the crowd Country Pie in a sing along. I'm pretty sure that the sax player from Celebration was there and also played a long instrumental. When I would play the tape back I usually hit the ff to get to the Beach Boys stuff. Thinking back the best thing about that show was Denny was there and in good form too.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2012, 09:55:09 AM »

It's official; The Beach Boys mean more to some of us than sex.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2012, 12:11:52 PM »

Hahaha, this is great. that would probably happen to me.

Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2012, 07:45:52 PM »

Haven't listened to the Almost Summer album for ages. I recall that two of the instrumentals sounded similar to the tune of Shes' Got Rythm Azn

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2012, 11:19:19 PM »

Haven't listened to the Almost Summer album for ages. I recall that two of the instrumentals sounded similar to the tune of Shes' Got Rythm Azn

Surely do.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mickey
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 10:26:19 PM »

I saw a version of Celebration in 1977. I can't remember if Al was there too but he might have been.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »

'any on, some confusion being sowed... Aren't we talking Disco Celebration (1979, ADC Records LS-4052) as being the valuable rarity, not the original synonymous Celebration LP?
There's some question as to whether Disco Celebration was actually released, but that's much rarer then Celebration. It's also considerably worse than any LP you've ever heard.

Ahh you're all full of bunk. Of course it was released. I've got it. Took seemingly forever to find!  It was on a small label, nobody wanted it and most of them  that didn't get recycled are sitting in a warehouse somewhere( I think in Paraguay with the Honeys Box Set )  waiting for the REAL Disco resurgence. But I don't want everyone here to have to take AGD's word for the sound, so open your hearts to Mike Love: 

Here's the back cover: 

And you can get side 1 here:            http://www.sendspace.com/file/vy721v   

And Side 2 here:        http://www.sendspace.com/file/btmz0x

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »

Thanks for things, bgas. I your signature.  Wink

No mas, por favor.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 08:09:13 PM »

And here I was, never thinking I'd ever listen to a 'Disco Symphony' by Mike Love. Thank you, bgas, for making my strangest dreams reality  LOL

Oh my lord, this is awful. I love it, if I wasn't so tired I would drunkenly review the hell of out this. California Girls has to be heard to be believed.....  Grin
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:26:26 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx