gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:57:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's VDP's problem?  (Read 41405 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »

Consistantly mad enough to bitch about it any opportunity he's given.  When was the last time you heard Mike have a negative word about VDP?

Mike moved on.  He has a c*ck.  Van Dyke has lady parts.  He holds a grudge like a woman scorned.

Sorry.  It's the truth.  You can argue it all you want, but anybody still pissed 50 years later has much bigger issues than Mike Love in his life.  I've known assholes in my life, many of you probably think I'M an asshole.

Does ANYTHING I say, or anybody has said to you, still upset you 50 years later?  Of course not, that's ridiculous.  I've been fired.  I've been in fistfights.  I've lost women.  I've been robbed.  I've been insulted, embarassed....

NONE OF THAT made me hate anybody.  If somebody *ROBBED* me, two years later I wouldn't even care or recognize them.

His incredibly tedious way or writing is getting old as well.  Me thinks he's a little too smart by half. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 05:19:11 PM »

BTW, am I the only one seeing the Jealousy going on here first from Mike 45 years ago, now from Van Dyke 45 years later?  WHAT THE f***?

Guys, Brian has enough sweet love to go around.  Van Dyke, you can still call him if you'd like.  He'll probably even send you a Christmas card like he does Mikey.  You and Mike kiss and play fair now, Cousin Brian doesn't play favorites. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »

Consistantly mad enough to bitch about it any opportunity he's given.  When was the last time you heard Mike have a negative word about VDP?

Except here's the thing - Mike Love is in no position to have a negative word about VDP, so if his negative comments about VDP amount to anything other than zero, then it would be shameful.

Mike moved on.  He has a clock.  Van Dyke has lady parts.  He holds a grudge like a woman scorned.

I don't particularly take serious what you think makes someone a man or a woman. I ignored it the first time but since you have stuck with this infantile line of reasoning, I figure I would mention it now.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »

And I don't particularly give a sh*t what you're saying either, since it's wrong.

VAn Dyke still Bitches about Mike.  He's not a man, he's a little boy. 

Mike - "You suck as a songwriter"

VAn Dyke "Wahhh Wahhhh I'm going to cry for 45 years"

Mike - "I'm going to make money off your music for 45 years"

I mean who's the man, and who's the child here? 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 05:23:06 PM »

And I don't particularly give a sh*t what you're saying either, since it's wrong.

LOL

VAn Dyke still Bitches about Mike.  He's not a man, he's a little boy. 

Mike - "You suck as a songwriter"

VAn Dyke "Wahhh Wahhhh I'm going to cry for 45 years"

Mike - "I'm going to make money off your music for 45 years"

I mean who's the man, and who's the child here? 

A staunch Mike Love supporter, folks.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »

I think it's pretty reasonable to me.  And I don't think he was being that mean either.  I have read interviews where Mike accuses Van Dyke of pushing Brian towards drugs and acid and that's just not fair.  There are many things that led to Brian's downfall but Van Dyke Parks has always been a positive presence in Brian's life.  If they did drugs together, it's because that was the thing to do at the time.  It's not Van Dyke's fault that Brian became addicted.

Also, while the reunion is exciting, it's most definitely all about money and I don't believe one bit that there's not still a pinch of animosity between Brian, Al, and Mike.  It's all a show.  It might be a good show, but when it all comes down to it, it's probably not as thrilling to them as it is to the audience.  But I digress, I'm excited for the reunion and I'm excited to hear new material, no matter what the motivations might be.
You nailed it and then some. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »

I come on here and, ever so often, see people bitching about Van Dyke Parks bitching about Mike Love. I've read this sh*t for years; I get tired of it but we all have a right to our opinion as long as it's on par with the rules.

Likewise, VDPs has a right to bitch about Mike Love.

And, Ron: losing a possibly menial job 50 years ago is somewhat different than being harassed* out of a project which could have produced the most famous finished album in music history.

*according to VDPs. I, and no one here, knows the true story.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:26:53 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
jardine (no relation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »

well. there goes ANOTHER thread! "lady parts" and VDP is childish?? fu!k
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »

In the Smile Sessions box set. You know, in November.

Mike moved on.  He has a clock.  Van Dyke has lady parts.  He holds a grudge like a woman scorned.

Homophobic bullshit. Shut up, please.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 06:14:26 PM »

And why does Mike not have a right to an opinion regarding VDP?

Can someone explain this to me?

This reeks of the same old "Let's hate Mike Love and blame him for everything no matter what logic or our basic understanding of human emotions tells us"

I mean, anyone saying Mike had no right to have an opinion about something his very own band was doing or anyone associated with his own band for 50 years, is really not thinking straight.

Have any of you ever been unjustly fired? Cheated on by a partner/spouse? Had a disagreement with a family member, band member, co-worker? Did you vigorously defend your position(s) or did you just take your punches and hold resentment for the rest of your life?

We make choices during our lives. Plain and simple. We can't often control what happens to ourselves and others, but what we can control is how we react and what we do emotionally with what we're dealt.

I love it how so many of us sit here and pontificate about Mike's choices like angels sent from heaven pretending we couldn't relate in a million years. It's nauseating.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:17:54 PM by Erik H » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »

Consistantly mad enough to bitch about it any opportunity he's given.  When was the last time you heard Mike have a negative word about VDP?

Except here's the thing - Mike Love is in no position to have a negative word about VDP, so if his negative comments about VDP amount to anything other than zero, then it would be shameful.

This really needs to be explained.

You say this like you're saying the sun will come up tomorrow morning. Like it's an absolute!

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »

Can you explain where anyone said that?

This reeks of the same old "Let's hate Mike Love and blame him for everything no matter what logic or our basic understanding of human emotions tells us"

What does? That thing you just made up?

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 06:25:33 PM »

And yes, this was a sentence I composed all by myself to sum up what seems to be happening with people who consistently hurl insults at Mike and act like he has no right to his feelings like all the rest of us have:

Let's hate Mike Love and blame him for everything no matter what logic or our basic understanding of human emotions tells us"

This statement is what I was asking about:

"Except here's the thing - Mike Love is in no position to have a negative word about VDP, so if his negative comments about VDP amount to anything other than zero, then it would be shameful."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:27:19 PM by Erik H » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 06:27:57 PM »

This statement is what I was asking about:

"Except here's the thing - Mike Love is in no position to have a negative word about VDP, so if his negative comments about VDP amount to anything other than zero, then it would be shameful."

Well, I wasn't talking about rights. Mike Love has the right to say whatever he wants about anything.

Are you so defensive about this that you've turned my comment into a human rights violation?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »

No, but you bring up a good point considering Mike's right as a human to have his own opinions and feelings about his family and family business is constantly attacked.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 06:30:13 PM »

I just asked you to explain how Mike has no right to have any negative feelings about VDP.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 06:30:43 PM »

I just asked you to explain how Mike is in no position to have any negative feelings about VDP.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »

Mike Love and Van Dyke Parks - Why must they be referred to as Heroes and Villains (see what I did there) in Brian's story?  Ron, your comments are over the top, rude but more importantly off base.  Mike and Van have a long history of not getting along.  Have you seen Billy Hinsche's movie with Dennis playing up the situation?  It is not just about Late 66 / early 67 (though that certainly got the ball rolling).   Ask Van about flying with Mike.  Ask Van about how he feels re: character assassination on prime time tv.  

Van dyke hasn't bitched about Mike every chance he has had, he has more often than not been a gentleman and tried to steer clear of mudslinging and name calling.  In fact we moaned for months wishing he would weigh in.  He has been hounded many times to give his thoughts on the Smile box and recent events so he finally relented.  

I respect BOTH men and value their contribution to Brian's (and The Beach Boys' work).  Neither are perfect, both have flaws but without either one, Brian's work wouldn't have been quite as spectacular.  I'm hoping the reunion brings some peace between Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and David.  That will mean more to all of them than the inevitable payday, I think.  Van dyke is a very nice man and his situation regarding the Beach Boys has been a tough one.  To say he is upset merely about the actions of a few months in the 1960s is not seeing the whole picture.  It would be foolish not to appreciate the challenge there.  Anyhow I'm looking forward to seeing the reunited boys at the Bowl soon.  It will no doubt remind me of the last time I was on the left coast and had a very nice chat with the very amiable Mr. Parks. Peace to all!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »

No, but you bring up a good point considering Mike's right as a human to have his own opinions and feelings about his family and family business is constantly attacked.

Where? As far as I'm concerned the only attack on Mike Love's human rights have only come directly from your own imagination. Christ, you just invented it here out of my own post which had nothing to do with that. When you can make things up that easily, something that never happens can seem like it happens "constantly."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:34:10 PM by rockandroll » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 06:33:08 PM »

How many times has Mike said that he loved the music Brian was making, but hated the lyrics, all the drugs, and the hanger-ons? That's essentially Mike giving VDP the finger over and over again in interviews, just discreetly.  And Mike did that time and time again during the promotion of the release of Smile, while Brian ignored it and talked about how the boys sang like angels, instead.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 06:33:35 PM »

I just asked you to explain how Mike is in no position to have any negative feelings about VDP.

I never said that either.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »

rockandroll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Re: What's VDP's problem?
« Reply #27 on: Today at 04:19:26 PM »
Quote from: Ron on Today at 04:15:33 PM

I don't particularly take serious what you think makes someone a man or a woman. I ignored it the first time but since you have stuck with this infantile line of reasoning, I figure I would mention it now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:39:00 PM by Erik H » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »

You said it right here: rockandroll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Re: What's VDP's problem?
« Reply #27 on: Today at 04:19:26 PM »
Quote from: Ron on Today at 04:15:33 PM

Thanks for that. Now tell me what fantasy world you live in where "feelings" and "words" are the same thing.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 06:39:36 PM »

words are an expression of feelings

or can be used to express feelings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »

what fantasy world are you in where words and feelings have nothing to do with each other?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx