gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:21:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's VDP's problem?  (Read 41611 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »

http://bananastan.com/notes_1.html

Why does he feel the need to keep bashing/blaming Mike, and in turn bashing Brian as well?

Can't he see that The Beach Boys are a family and have other concerns aside from Smile or that they have an entire history before/after Smile to respect and honor?

Can't he just keep out of it?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:22:24 PM by Erik H » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:09:20 PM »

Terribly written nonsense.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »

A new tirade of bitterness from VDP. The human brain is a mystery. Here's an extremely talented and original musician and lyricist who does not need the whole Smile/Beach Boy event to assert himself. Yet, he keeps on spitting poison, whenever he gets the chance, over what happened during a 6-month period 45 years ago. I wish he finds peace of mine regarding that episode in his life.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »

"I am astonished that Brian has been led into a 'The 50th Reunion Album/Tour'."

Mama needs a new pair of shoes. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »

I think it's pretty reasonable to me.  And I don't think he was being that mean either.  I have read interviews where Mike accuses Van Dyke of pushing Brian towards drugs and acid and that's just not fair.  There are many things that led to Brian's downfall but Van Dyke Parks has always been a positive presence in Brian's life.  If they did drugs together, it's because that was the thing to do at the time.  It's not Van Dyke's fault that Brian became addicted.

Also, while the reunion is exciting, it's most definitely all about money and I don't believe one bit that there's not still a pinch of animosity between Brian, Al, and Mike.  It's all a show.  It might be a good show, but when it all comes down to it, it's probably not as thrilling to them as it is to the audience.  But I digress, I'm excited for the reunion and I'm excited to hear new material, no matter what the motivations might be.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 02:48:10 PM »

But what's wrong with making a few bucks while they're at it?

These guys are 70 year old millionaires. They don't need the money.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 02:52:57 PM »

Maybe they are doing it for Dave then! :)By the way, someone should RE-Release his terrific book!Now is the time!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:00:38 PM by jimmy1949 » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »

If so, we should do nothing but applaud them.
jardine (no relation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 03:02:38 PM »

It really reveals how deeply hurt v.d.p. still is, it seems, and how wronged he still feels, and how large this six months still looms. Part may be a continuing lament over what could have been?

However, "It's an anecdotal height of personal neutrality in an ethical dilemma"?  Huh? And wouldn't it be cool if part of it was for d.m.
SBonilla
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 03:16:55 PM »

It really reveals how deeply hurt v.d.p. still is, it seems, and how wronged he still feels, and how large this six months still looms. Part may be a continuing lament over what could have been?

However, "It's an anecdotal height of personal neutrality in an ethical dilemma"?  Huh? And wouldn't it be cool if part of it was for d.m.
I wonder if he ever felt bullied or wronged by having to give away 50% of his potential income (his publishing rights) from his collaborations with Brian to Sea Of Tunes?  Or, did he see it as a the price to be paid in order to play in Hollywood?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:17:48 PM by SBonilla » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 03:18:50 PM »

Why does he feel the need to keep bashing/blaming Mike, and in turn bashing Brian as well?

Can't he see that The Beach Boys are a family and have other concerns aside from Smile or that they have an entire history before/after Smile to respect and honor?

He was asked repeatedly about his feelings on the release of Smile by many on this board and in the media. He was requested to weigh in. There's no mystery there. The fact that you don't like his answers simply speaks to your own agenda.

It's most certainly not. It's VDP attempting to explain -- as best he can -- his feelings on a complex situation.

A new tirade of bitterness from VDP. The human brain is a mystery. Here's an extremely talented and original musician and lyricist who does not need the whole Smile/Beach Boy event to assert himself. Yet, he keeps on spitting poison, whenever he gets the chance, over what happened during a 6-month period 45 years ago. I wish he finds peace of mine regarding that episode in his life.

None of it seems particularly poisonous to me. He's attempting to assert his place in a still-contested historical event. He is the co-creator, by any measure, of Smile. Surely he deserves the space to say whatever he darn well pleases. We certainly give Brian and Mike the space to assert their feelings.

It is astonishing to me that a figure who has had such an important influence in the life of BW -- and in the music we all love -- should be criticized for speaking his piece. Especially when Mike took the space and opportunity to attack his work -- still -- in the Smile box. Who actually has the thin skin here?
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 03:21:36 PM »

Perhaps VDP is learning you don't post on the internet after consuming a few wines ...  Wink
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 03:30:34 PM »

I thought it would be all about the reunion. but it was all about smile. and not even the smile sessions. the 45 year old unfinished album. he should get over it i think. i mean sure mike love might have chased him away from the project. but he is ultimately the one who chose to leave. plus that was 45 freakin years ago. i mean jeez.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »

He was asked repeatedly about his feelings on the release of Smile by many on this board and in the media. He was requested to weigh in. There's no mystery there. The fact that you don't like his answers simply speaks to your own agenda.

It's most certainly not. It's VDP attempting to explain -- as best he can -- his feelings on a complex situation.

None of it seems particularly poisonous to me. He's attempting to assert his place in a still-contested historical event. He is the co-creator, by any measure, of Smile. Surely he deserves the space to say whatever he darn well pleases. We certainly give Brian and Mike the space to assert their feelings.

It is astonishing to me that a figure who has had such an important influence in the life of BW -- and in the music we all love -- should be criticized for speaking his piece. Especially when Mike took the space and opportunity to attack his work -- still -- in the Smile box. Who actually has the thin skin here?

I concur

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »

Mike and van dyke should have a sitdown over this subject

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 03:42:47 PM »

I thought it would be all about the reunion. but it was all about smile. and not even the smile sessions. the 45 year old unfinished album. he should get over it i think. i mean sure mike love might have chased him away from the project. but he is ultimately the one who chose to leave. plus that was 45 freakin years ago. i mean jeez.

I'm sure that if people had left him alone about the subject he would not have felt compelled to comment. The problem is that he has been hounded consistently since the set's release about his opinions. Every interview he conducted for his solo tour featured questions about it. Every audience q and a brings it up. Mike doesn't feel the need to shut up about it, so why should Van Dyke?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »

Whoa! Slow your roll, man!

This is a message board and I have a right to my opinion and this is indeed a place to speak one's opinions. There is no agenda beyond that.

I am frequently enlightened on my own opinions here by those who disagree with me. I frequently come to see things differently and constantly gain a deeper knowledge here. It's a good agenda.
jardine (no relation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 03:55:23 PM »

I expect it is tiresome (or worse) to have it be almost always the first question asked, overshadowing so much else he has done.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »

This wasn't even a question: It was a statement released by VDP!

No one forced him to weigh in in such a manner.

However, I can certainly understand his feelings. I just wish the same consideration could be given to Mike. His behavior has been based on MANY similar feelings as VDP's.
SG7
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »

I find it sort of ironic no one ever attacked Ginger for her feelings about how Brian isn't the same person anymore (A&E bio). Yet we are condemning VDP for his feelings? For one I think it has always highly annoyed him this is all people remember him for. A record that never was propperly finished! He has done so much great work since then (his work with Inara George anyone?). We act like it should be easy to get over this, but again we weren't there when crap hit the fan.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »

I find it sort of ironic no one ever attacked Ginger for her feelings about how Brian isn't the same person anymore (A&E bio). Yet we are condemning VDP for his feelings?

Well, this thread isn't really about condemning VDP. It's about justifying a lot of the shitty things that Mike Love has said over the years.
jardine (no relation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 04:30:45 PM »

and, i think, trying to figure out something about how unresolved this is for vdp. seems that mike eder et al had a "general inquisition" (already telling way to put it!)

it really doesn't every seem to GET anywhere--just raised and re-raised unreconstructed, it seems, for years and years. the questions and the answers seem as enlightening/unenlightening as ever
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:31:46 PM by jardine (no relation » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 05:02:43 PM »

I am astonished that Brian has been led into a 'The 50th Reunion Album/Tour'.
Me too.

Love should study writers he professes to admire: Dickens; Poe; Conan-Doyle; then cite Beaudelaire; Satchmo; Freud, and a legion of similar creative authors whose civility brought beauty to their times, through deftly talented, although drugged doses.
Mike Love reads E.A. Poe?

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »

Anybody still mad about something that happened 50 years ago has by definition wasted their life away. 

Mike misunderstood VDP.  We get it.

So the end result, to Van Dyke Parks, is that Mike is somebody to be discareded and ignored for 50 years.  If anybody ever sees ANY good in Mike (like, for instance, enough to stand on stage and sing songs they wrote with him) then he doesn't understand it.

What a jerk Van Dyke Parks is.  Mike Love never hated anybody for 50 years.

VDP was a p*ssy 50 years ago for letting a grown man hurt his feelings, and he's a p*ssy today for still being mad about it. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 05:10:57 PM »

Anybody still mad about something that happened 50 years ago has by definition wasted their life away. 

If he has been consistently mad about for 50 years, which doesn't seem to be the case. Certainly hasn't prevented Parks from being crazy productive.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx