gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:58:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Do It Again" - The Official COMPLETE Reunion Video  (Read 17992 times)
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 04:05:03 AM »

Hope they release a dvd of this footage uncut! You got Brian singing with the boys at the piano - Al and Brian rehearsing the song together - David doing guitar solos - BRIAN AND MIKE IN THE SAME ROOM TALKING TO EACH OTHER
I guess I'm weird, but I like the banter they share back and fourth.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:07:31 AM by over and over » Logged

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »

I'd bet both testicles that Al could still pull off a good falsetto vocal. Dude's still got the chops he's had since the 70s, if maybe with the slightest bit of reduced range and maybe not quite as much stamina. Why he isn't at the very least doing it on the new Beach Boys recordings (maybe not the tour, as I'm sure that'd be strain enough) is waaaay beyond me.

In all honesty, I never thought Al could pull off a good falsetto voice.  His voice was never meant to sing that high and it shows when he would painfully handle the leads on "Don't Worry Baby" and other songs.  I do agree there is some pitch correction going on here.  And dare I say it--all the harmonies sound a little too over-produced and manufactured.  Carl's voice is sorely missed.  :-(

Still this is not a bad little re-recording.  I actually like them flying in the original drum track at the beginning of the song. 

Al used to have a great falsetto (Be Here in the Morning) but even at the knebworth show 32 years ago he was having trouble with Barbara Ann. I'm sure if anyone tried they could pull off a weak falsetto in the studio but definitely not live.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 11:48:32 AM »

Al used to have a great falsetto (Be Here in the Morning)

He did have in the studio. But it was weak in live performances even in the 60s. That is, he did a fine job considering how much stronger and fuller the guy's falsetto was that he had to replace

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »

I noticed the different guitar solo...I believe there might be a little more on the end of Dave's than Scott's. I'm really happy with this...and I believe it's a little better than the one we had before.

I hear no difference, I only see difference.

Neither do I.  Plus, the footage of Dave playing doesn't even come close to portraying what is actually being played.  I'm thinking Scott played the lead on this song before David became involved.  Either that or David did play it and they didn't bothering matching the visual up with what's being played for the video.  Even still, why would Scott be playing lead on the original leaked video?

I also notice the extra snare hit on the 3 and it's quite annoying.  I'm hoping that doesn't make the record.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »

I noticed the different guitar solo...I believe there might be a little more on the end of Dave's than Scott's. I'm really happy with this...and I believe it's a little better than the one we had before.

I hear no difference, I only see difference.

Even still, why would Scott be playing lead on the original leaked video?

Because David was not involved in the project to begin with.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »

I tell you, the only problem is that hungry fans get just one song and it is overanalyzed. Suddenly there are legions of autotune experts. People start hearing things that don't even exist.

Except autotune IS used here. Not to T-Pain like extents, but it's still not really necessary. Again I'll say that a touch of manual pitch correction does the trick - f*cking with the entire vocal by just throwing an autotune filter on it is lazy and unnecessary.

And as much as some folks have said it and as much as I hate sounding so cruel, damn: I'm so tired of Jeff's voice absolutely dominating every recording and performance that Brian Wilson is associated with, and now on what will be the final Beach Boys album. It's not right. Meanwhile much more capable vocalists like Matt Jardine or Christian Love have nothing to do with this, and Jeff gets a free pass for being one of Brian's minders.

I'd bet both testicles that Al could still pull off a good falsetto vocal. Dude's still got the chops he's had since the 70s, if maybe with the slightest bit of reduced range and maybe not quite as much stamina. Why he isn't at the very least doing it on the new Beach Boys recordings (maybe not the tour, as I'm sure that'd be strain enough) is waaaay beyond me.

Alan's falsetto was poor, even in his youth. Not suited for the songs he was supposed to sing. And the harmony blend i destroyed if any of the guys sing a part other than their own. Alan must sing his part. Jeff must sing Brian's original parts.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 01:38:13 PM »

Dave definitely recorded multiple lead and rhythm parts for the Do It Again track, I doubt the video shows the actual takes that were used, as I doubt the video of the guys singing is the actual take in most instances. Its Hollywood dude.
SBonilla
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »

I've been seeing people say 'flying in' parts with regard to digital audio editing. I view that term as a misnomer.

One aspect of flying in audio parts had to do with making overdubs using a mechanical/fixed sound source, such as another tape machine; this process was done manually and took time,  patience and skill (and luck) to successfully accomplish the task. I once sat in on a fly in session. There was lots of , "OK, now," and "OK, one more time," and, "close...once more." 

Tacking on the original Do It Again drum sample to the new Do It Again track was a basic audio editing function, with some EQ matching and beat matching where needed. No out of the ordinary skill is required to do that.

Isn't there a better term to use?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »

Oh! I see.  You downloaded a bootleg version of Pro Tools and now you can tell the rest of us what words to use.

Why don't you just let people call it what they want, you know what the hell they're talking about!

Isn't their an open schoolmarm position somewhere you can apply for?

Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 06:21:02 PM »

Wish list for 'Do It Again'. How about an extended guitar workout by Scott and David plus the band during the live gigs?

Harks back to the "Leaving This Town" instrumental section of the 'In Concert' days.

Now that would so ROCK!  Cool
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:21:57 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
SBonilla
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 08:01:31 PM »

Oh! I see.  You downloaded a bootleg version of Pro Tools and now you can tell the rest of us what words to use.

Why don't you just let people call it what they want, you know what the hell they're talking about!

Isn't their an open schoolmarm position somewhere you can apply for?

Grin

Schoolmarm? Yes, you can call things what you want.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 08:25:44 PM »

I tell you, the only problem is that hungry fans get just one song and it is overanalyzed. Suddenly there are legions of autotune experts. People start hearing things that don't even exist.

Except autotune IS used here. Not to T-Pain like extents, but it's still not really necessary. Again I'll say that a touch of manual pitch correction does the trick - f*cking with the entire vocal by just throwing an autotune filter on it is lazy and unnecessary.

And as much as some folks have said it and as much as I hate sounding so cruel, damn: I'm so tired of Jeff's voice absolutely dominating every recording and performance that Brian Wilson is associated with, and now on what will be the final Beach Boys album. It's not right. Meanwhile much more capable vocalists like Matt Jardine or Christian Love have nothing to do with this, and Jeff gets a free pass for being one of Brian's minders.

Alan's falsetto was poor, even in his youth. Not suited for the songs he was supposed to sing. And the harmony blend i destroyed if any of the guys sing a part other than their own. Alan must sing his part. Jeff must sing Brian's original parts.

I wouldn't call it poor...if it was that bad they wouldn't have had him sing so many falsetto parts for over 15 years... Not as strong as Brian's sure, but Al's strong voice at least was strong and could be heard. Better on some songs than others for sure, it was great on God Only Knows and Surfer Girl. Bruce's falsetto on the other hand is almost impossible to hear on a lot of concert recordings.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »

Alan"s falsetto.? Well it may not be falsetto{Alto?] but In concert  lp 1973 Al sings DWB + YSBIM..Wonderfully.!. There is a live recording 79-80 on a boot {Philly ?} Where at the end of Good Timin as the song hits the ending + band fades out Bruce goes so high its like total nosebleed seats. And its great.! Ive heard him do that on Disney Girls + IWTS also.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 09:52:04 PM »

I've been seeing people say 'flying in' parts with regard to digital audio editing. I view that term as a misnomer.

One aspect of flying in audio parts had to do with making overdubs using a mechanical/fixed sound source, such as another tape machine; this process was done manually and took time,  patience and skill (and luck) to successfully accomplish the task. I once sat in on a fly in session. There was lots of , "OK, now," and "OK, one more time," and, "close...once more." 

Tacking on the original Do It Again drum sample to the new Do It Again track was a basic audio editing function, with some EQ matching and beat matching where needed. No out of the ordinary skill is required to do that.

Isn't there a better term to use?

...um, if it's ok with you I'm going to stick with the term "flying in".  Thanks.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 09:59:36 PM »

Alan"s falsetto.? Well it may not be falsetto{Alto?] but In concert  lp 1973 Al sings DWB + YSBIM..Wonderfully.!. There is a live recording 79-80 on a boot {Philly ?} Where at the end of Good Timin as the song hits the ending + band fades out Bruce goes so high its like total nosebleed seats. And its great.! Ive heard him do that on Disney Girls + IWTS also.

To each his own but you *really* thought Al's take on "Don't Worry Baby" was wonderful?  I just listened to it again; it's a pretty wobbly performance at best and he is definitely struggling there.  Thankfully Carl rescues the chorus.  I will give you that Al made up for this with his lead vocals on "You Still Believe In Me" and "Heroes And Villains".  Also while we're on the subject of Al handling Brian's parts, I also never got much out of his lead vocals on "Wouldn't It Be Nice".  Glad Carl took this over in the 80's and 90's. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »

honestly i think part of the reason i like Al"s take on DWB is i hear the slight struggle and fight to do the song justice. To me it sounds soulful.. Does that make any sense.? Not sure. but then again its not the same struggle like BW in 81+82. Those were just off key to make a comparison.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2012, 12:55:47 AM »

Schoolmarm? Yes, you can call things what you want.

That brings to mind a song that was stuck in my head the whole day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1prhCWO_518&ob=av2e
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2012, 04:07:10 AM »

honestly i think part of the reason i like Al"s take on DWB is i hear the slight struggle and fight to do the song justice. To me it sounds soulful.. Does that make any sense.? Not sure. but then again its not the same struggle like BW in 81+82. Those were just off key to make a comparison.

Couldn't agree more, Al's take on DWB is in fact one of my very favorite moments on the In Concert album. In the end he does the song justice by giving it his best and adding something sad or even mournful to the beautiful naivete of the original song.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2012, 05:43:17 AM »

Dave definitely recorded multiple lead and rhythm parts for the Do It Again track, I doubt the video shows the actual takes that were used, as I doubt the video of the guys singing is the actual take in most instances. Its Hollywood dude.

I totally understand that.  I'm not naive enough to think that they actually use footage of the solo as is.  It just seemed weird that in the early version of the vid, Scott Bennet is shown playing the exact same lead part.  That being said, I certainly trust your word that it's Dave playing. 

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2012, 06:03:41 AM »

what a great, great solo from David, spot on!

Well, let's keep realistic. It's good and he played it well. Very close to Carl's original. Not more, not less. He's certainly capable of better stuff

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »

I totally understand that.  I'm not naive enough to think that they actually use footage of the solo as is.  It just seemed weird that in the early version of the vid, Scott Bennet is shown playing the exact same lead part.  That being said, I certainly trust your word that it's Dave playing. 
My word would not know that unless I mixed the final version of the track. All I know is what I posted above. Dave was brought in to replace or add parts...I have no idea what they actually used in the mix. Odds are he's in there because Brian made it clear that he wanted Dave on the track.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2012, 11:22:33 AM »

First off, it's Scott Tottten shown playing the solo.

Second, the reason Scott was shown in the early cut of the video is that Dave had not yet joined the reunion.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »

First off, it's Scott Tottten shown playing the solo.

Second, the reason Scott was shown in the early cut of the video is that Dave had not yet joined the reunion.

My bad on my Scott era.  I got the wrong one. 

So if Dave wasn't involved yet when the first cut of the video was done and the guitar solo on both cuts of the video are the same, then I'd assume that in the official video, Dave is miming to Scott Totten's guitar solo, correct?  Or did he just replay it note for note?  I'm not at home to watch the old video, but to these ears, they sound identical.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything, I'm just curious.  It doesn't matter to me in the least who it is and I certainly trust Mr. Stebbins word that Dave did play something on the track considering the fact that he mixed it.

anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »

I certainly trust Mr. Stebbins word that Dave did play something on the track considering the fact that he mixed it.

Uh, Jon said he wouldn't know what exactly was on the final track unless he mixed it...which he didn't.  He's saying he knows Dave tracked guitar parts for the song, but he doesn't know what was used of those tracks in the final mix, thought it's a good bet that you are hearing some of his parts in there.  It's also possible that it's still some or all of Scott Totten's solo.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »

I think the "leaked" early version of the video had placeholder shots in it (Getty Images etc...) because it was a rough cut that was still being sorted. Same with the track, which was definitely worked on beyond what was on the rough cut video. The Beach Boys/Capitol/EMI were really bummed that the video leaked in an incomplete form. As far as Dave not being a part of the "reunion" early on, I think that's semantics. When the Beach Boys announced an official reunion Dave was part of it. When they released an official Do It Again video Dave was part of it. When they made their first public appearance at the Grammys...Dave was there. So, Wirestone, when you say he wasn't part of the reunion originally, then you assume the in progress Do It Again session/video was the initiation of said reunion. I was told, as it was happening, that the Do It Again vocal session with Mike, Brian, Bruce and Al was a trial balloon. Just to see if it could still work. I also heard there was some tension at that session (not between Brian and Mike)...but that the vocals turned out good, and the thing went forward. As that was happening Dave was being told he was going to be brought into this process once things solidified. They did, he was, Brian and Mike asked him to add some lead and rhythm to Do It Again, that session was filmed. And not until AFTER all of that happened was the official reunion announcement made.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx