gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:09:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ANNOUNCING! SMiLE 1967 Mix by soniclovenoize  (Read 24039 times)
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:26:42 AM »

Hey folks.   After getting burnt out on my own stereo SMiLE reconstruction after listening to it for months on end, I decided I wanted to try something that has been bouncing around in my mind for some time...  To make a SMiLE mix that actually tried to stay as close to what could have presumably been released in 1967.  While my stereo mix used that mindset as a guideline, it often strayed from that because of things I liked (all in stereo; inclusion of H&V2, Cantina intro to IIGS, Workshop->Vege-Tables, etc.).  So ignoring all that, I tried my hand at this, as some others have before. 

And here is the result for your downloading pleasure!

The Beach Boys - SMiLE (soniclovenoize 1967 Mix)

http://www.mediafire.com/?74heaw3y7aalstg
*artwork and track notes included

Some things of interest:
- all in mono, bitches!
- Similar running order to my stereo reconstruction, but to even out the two sides of the LP, I swapped Vege-Tables for Wonderful, and now we have a tracklist reminiscent of what happened on Smiley Smile. Also, both sides are approx 18 minutes, which was a flaw of my presumed authentic tracklist stated elsewhere on the board (a shorter A side and longer B side). 
- For I'm In Great Shape, I tried to recreate Brian's 4-part Country suite.  The answer to what it could consist of, as well as what could be the intro to the IIGS fragment itself was simple: Barnyard is the intro!  It's even in the same key as IIGS!  The song then continues to Friday Night and Workshop as the the third and fourth suites, something I've always maintained was a part of IIGS in the first place. 
- It's the 45 version of Good Vibrations (better mastering than on TSS, sorry Mark and Alan Sad )
- mono remixes of my own unique edits of Worms, OMP, Veges, IIGS and Elements (if you've heard my stereo construction, you might recognize them)
- No weird pitch-correct/time-corrected fly-ins.  That's not my bag, sorry.  Other people do it, that's great.  But you won't find that here. 
- For specific rational of how this tracklist was compiled, see my mini essay written elsewhere on the board (about creating a "SMiLE Sandwich")
- More often than not, I emulated BW's 66/67 test mixes where applicable (unless it was clear that he didn't know where the song was going)

SIDE A
(Our Prayer)
1. Heroes and Villains
2. Vege-Tables
3. Do You Like Worms?
4. Child is Father of The Man
5. The Old Master Painter
6. Cabin Essence

SIDE B
7. Good Vibrations
8. Wonderful
9. I'm In Great Shape
10. Wind Chimes
11. The Elements
12. Surf's Up

Enjoy!  (FLACS available upon request)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:05:54 AM by soniclovenoize » Logged

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »

Just finished. Excellent work. It follows all the rules well and provides a nice even representation of the material. Me likey.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »

(FLACS available upon request)

Yes, please. Make the FLAC files available!
Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »

Thanks a lot for this, sonic. I've been following your fan-mixes since your post on what and you're what got me into it originally. Any chance of a stereo version? And FLACs would be awesome.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »

Hey thanks guys!  That really means a lot to me!  Smiley

I'll work on uploading the FLACs, they'll be up tomorrow hopefully...

Thanks a lot for this, sonic. I've been following your fan-mixes since your post on what and you're what got me into it originally. Any chance of a stereo version? And FLACs would be awesome.

Hey thanks man!  Smiley 

Actually, that was a stray thought that passed--I should have ALSO put a stereo mix of this, to make it a two-fer, or like that mono/stereo Pet Sounds re-issue haha.

I suppose if more people want that, I can certainly upgrade this with the stereo version, although I was trying to be histrically as accurate as possible, you know?  But it can be done, for sure. 

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 08:44:15 PM »

Only interested in inauthentic reconstructions.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:49:21 PM »

Only interested in inauthentic reconstructions.

Shocked

Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »

Thanks a lot for posting! Authentic reconstructions are my favourite Smile mixes.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »

Hey, thanks Paul!  Smiley

OK guys, here's the FLAC version of my 1967 Mix...

http://www.mediafire.com/?z13mcxzm5pmlz5x

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 07:11:24 PM »

Listened to this again a few times today and it presents a cleaner and feels like a more concise version of SMiLE. Sticking to the 36 minute vinyl rule really keeps it trim and it isn't that hard to imagine Wild Honey as the logical follow album.

Bravo.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »

Hey, thanks Paul!  Smiley

OK guys, here's the FLAC version of my 1967 Mix...

http://www.mediafire.com/?z13mcxzm5pmlz5x

Thanks for the flac version! I'm still planning to do my own authentic remix and post it here, and maybe include a bonus disc with it with stereo and other mixes.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »

Hey thanks guys!  Smiley

I actually (ironically) made a stereo mix of this one here, because it was requested and I could do it, since most of there were mono remixes of the stereo ones I made a few months ago.  Except I had to rebuld the stereo single version of GV (which was actually really easy)...

Let me know, and I'll post it.  You could easily fit both the mono and stereo mixes on one CD actually, kinda a two-fer.  Wink

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 07:16:40 PM »

I wouldn't complain.  3D
Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 08:14:56 PM »

Hey thanks guys!  Smiley

I actually (ironically) made a stereo mix of this one here, because it was requested and I could do it, since most of there were mono remixes of the stereo ones I made a few months ago.  Except I had to rebuld the stereo single version of GV (which was actually really easy)...

Let me know, and I'll post it.  You could easily fit both the mono and stereo mixes on one CD actually, kinda a two-fer.  Wink
It'd be awesome.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 08:28:38 AM »

The Beach Boys - SMiLE (soniclovenoize 1967 Mix - stereo)
http://www.mediafire.com/?nljsenz5ab7ltx5

- Our Prayer, Heroes and Villains, Vege-Tables, Child, OMP, Cabin and Surf's Up all the same mixes as on my soniclovenoize stereo 2.0 mix from a month or two ago
- Do You Like Worms is a new stereo mix, sometime I wish I'd thought of before.  If you listen through headphones, you will notice the Bicycle Rider piano theme is slowly being panned from right to left--representing the Pioneers traveling from the East to West (which was what the Bicycle Rider was anyways). 
- Good Vibrations is the 45 mix, but with the longer fad-out (never liked that quick fade!).  It synched up much better somehow than my 2.0 mix with the orignal lyric, no phasing at all.  I was also able to get rid of the tape-warble in the first verse!
- Wonderful was always tricky to get a true stereo mix, because the best existing versions were all in mono, and there's nothing really to build a good stereo mix without extracting elements, which is line I will not cross.  So I tried to do the forbidden trick of making I suppose what we'd call a "fake stereo" or "duphonic" mix...  It's the TSS version, with slight roomy reverb, with the reverb top the left having a high-pass filter and the reverb to the right having a low-pass filter, which gives us the impression that the bass is panned to the left, and the harpsichord is panned to the right.  Then, of course the isolated backing vocals are synched up to the song, which are in stereo.  Listen to it and let me know if it's terrible or not.  :/ 
- I'm In Great Shape features a better stereo synch of Barnyard than what I sis on the soniclovenoize 2004 mix from a number of months ago.  It is the TSS Linett mix 55% to the left and the instrumental TSS mix 95% to the right, giving the illusion of a nice room performance, sounding very nice and clean in my opinion.
- Wind Chimes is the same as the soniclovenoize stereo 2.0 version, but minus the reprises at the end. 
- The Elements is the same as the soniclovenoize stereo 2.0 version, but minus the Water Chant in the middle. 

I'll upload flacs in a bit if you guys are interested.

Let me know what you thin of that Wonderful, if that sounds terrible or an improvement... 

The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »

I dig it. Very nice, clear headed Smile mix. Like like how you use Da Da day-2 version as the air element. What is your earth element?
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 11:29:09 AM »

I dig it. Very nice, clear headed Smile mix. Like like how you use Da Da day-2 version as the air element. What is your earth element?

Earth = I'm In Great Shape
Wind = Wind Chimes
Fire = Mrs O'Leary's Cow
Water = I Love to Say Blah Blah

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »

I'm really enjoying this. Thank you for sharing.  Grin

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »

The Beach Boys - SMiLE (soniclovenoize 1967 Mix - stereo)
http://www.mediafire.com/?nljsenz5ab7ltx5

I'll upload flacs in a bit if you guys are interested.

yes please!
TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 02:54:22 AM »

Count me in for the FLAC files too, please.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 07:54:41 AM »

OK, here you go guys!  Smiley

http://www.mediafire.com/?xcgh0n25lz6ggp3
http://www.mediafire.com/?puf1mrd4arq18p1

TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »

Thanks, sln. Much appreciated!
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »

Hey folks my mediafire account has been destroyed, so if someone wanted a copy of this you can get both the stereo and mono here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gk5whvhw23l7w5o

Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »

thanks for this one too!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 04:14:25 PM »

I have these cataloged in iTunes as the official 1967 Beach Boys release (in my own personal Beach Boys canon).  LOL
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx