gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:38:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 27: Bonnaroo Festival - Manchester, TN 6/10/12  (Read 72896 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2012, 11:16:49 AM »

Review:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-phish-fun-bring-good-vibes-to-bonnaroo-20120611

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »

Be true to your school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veck1kKc0tE

OMG they really are using that damn sound effect....

Why do fools...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iy4b478Ko0&feature=channel&list=UL

Don't worry baby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iY8yOTTm9c&feature=channel&list=UL

I get around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ-jFk_ipnQ&feature=channel&list=UL
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:35:11 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 11, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »

It truly was an amazing show. Every single person in the crowd that I saw, young and old, sober and wasted, thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Easily the highlight of my Bonnaroo experience. 

I'm not surprised that "Sail on Sailor" went over so well, Brian seemed to really get into the vocal on that one.  I sure as hell loved it!

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 11, 2012, 01:42:33 PM »

Mike was pumped haha! Good for him. Great performance.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 11, 2012, 02:11:03 PM »

Great backstage shot of Love at Bonaroo...

http://www.wireimage.com/celebrity-pictures/Mike-Love-of-The-Beach-Boys-poses-backstage-during-the-2012-Bonnaroo/146158992

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 11, 2012, 02:14:21 PM »

Heroes and Villians
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FPUVNRLnFo&feature=relmfu
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 11, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »

Mike was pumped haha! Good for him. Great performance.
He did the "when" chan! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »

Pitchforks write-up from it's festival coverage.

It was another reclusive-genius type who provided the weekend with its biggest surprise. The Beach Boys' Sunday afternoon set had all the trappings of sad-making state fair fodder: there's another band serving as a safety net behind the remaining five Boys, and villain/hero Mike Love still has the slight scent of used car salesman on him. The tempos have slowed some, the harmonies certainly don't pop like they used to, and 20 seconds into "Do It Again", it wasn't clear if everybody knew they'd gotten started. A few songs in, though, things got good, and kept getting better.
The cars-and-surfboards songs are all but etched into America's DNA at this point, but no amount of boomer-ish mistiness for some imagined past can dull those melodies. And Mike Love pays just enough lip service to Brian Wilson that you almost forgive him for all those lousy years when John Stamos had him convinced he was Jimmy Buffett. Al Jardine's voice is spot-on, David Marks got off a couple truly ripping solos, and Bruce Johnston's clearly having a ball. Wilson, behind the piano through most of the set, isn't singing much, and when he does, it's a little shaky; he's got both a teleprompter and a guy to help finish his lines when he can't hit the notes. But when he takes the baton-- on "Heroes and Villains", a mini Pet Sounds-suite, and a knockout performance of "Sail On, Sailor"-- that cheaply nostalgic "'member when" feeling all but melts away. The songs from the new That's Why God Made the Radio are awfully schlocky and over-arranged, and nobody really needs to hear "Surfin' USA" and "Surfin' Safari" in a half-hour span. But they sounded better than any band who survived both Uncle Jesse and "Kokomo" ought to, and they absolutely nailed "Wouldn't It Be Nice". That's a good one to nail.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »

Pitchforks write-up from it's festival coverage.

It was another reclusive-genius type who provided the weekend with its biggest surprise. The Beach Boys' Sunday afternoon set had all the trappings of sad-making state fair fodder: there's another band serving as a safety net behind the remaining five Boys, and villain/hero Mike Love still has the slight scent of used car salesman on him. The tempos have slowed some, the harmonies certainly don't pop like they used to, and 20 seconds into "Do It Again", it wasn't clear if everybody knew they'd gotten started. A few songs in, though, things got good, and kept getting better.
The cars-and-surfboards songs are all but etched into America's DNA at this point, but no amount of boomer-ish mistiness for some imagined past can dull those melodies. And Mike Love pays just enough lip service to Brian Wilson that you almost forgive him for all those lousy years when John Stamos had him convinced he was Jimmy Buffett. Al Jardine's voice is spot-on, David Marks got off a couple truly ripping solos, and Bruce Johnston's clearly having a ball. Wilson, behind the piano through most of the set, isn't singing much, and when he does, it's a little shaky; he's got both a teleprompter and a guy to help finish his lines when he can't hit the notes. But when he takes the baton-- on "Heroes and Villains", a mini Pet Sounds-suite, and a knockout performance of "Sail On, Sailor"-- that cheaply nostalgic "'member when" feeling all but melts away. The songs from the new That's Why God Made the Radio are awfully schlocky and over-arranged, and nobody really needs to hear "Surfin' USA" and "Surfin' Safari" in a half-hour span. But they sounded better than any band who survived both Uncle Jesse and "Kokomo" ought to, and they absolutely nailed "Wouldn't It Be Nice". That's a good one to nail.

Darn. Was just about to post this.  A really great review from them, if you ask me.  I was pumped when I saw this.

Here's the link for anyone who cares: http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/8864-bonnaroo-2012/

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »

Absolutely enormous. After the Boys were done, most people stayed put for Bon Iver, who played at 5:30. It took me at least 25 minutes to get way over to the side so I could find a spot to sit in the grass...it was very stressful, haha! People really pack together at these shows.

Sounds like a nightmare

This is my favorite pic of Mike Love ever, from Bonnaroo

Yeah uh I like that picture  Brow

I'm sure Mike liked that picture too.  "I must add you to my collection!"

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2012, 06:06:52 PM »

Wife #6!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »

I saw a pic of just Al and Bruce at a press thing after the show.  Where were Mike and Brian?  Too busy with all those young ladies throwing themselves at them?  Between that gal with Mike and those girls on the bus with Brian, you know their egos were getting really inflated.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »

I saw a pic of just Al and Bruce at a press thing after the show.  Where were Mike and Brian?  Too busy with all those young ladies throwing themselves at them?  Between that gal with Mike and those girls on the bus with Brian, you know their egos were getting really inflated.

"Brian likes pretty things"  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2012, 10:27:41 PM »

This person has uploaded a whole bunch of stuff..full songs..mostly from the second half of the set...great quality, it's like you're there.  Check it out!

Honestly, this is like some of Mike's most inspired performances I've seen in a while.  A few scenes reminded me of Knebworth 1980--I'm not sur if that's good but Mike shed like 30 years in this performance.  Very cool to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7sObzLfrwQ&feature=channel&list=UL
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:38:22 PM by Justin » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 12, 2012, 01:37:12 AM »

I'm really disappointed with that set... thought they would show their mettle instead of the car culture that few festival goers can relate to.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: June 12, 2012, 01:59:19 AM »

I wonder why there were so many positive reviews of Sail On Sailor. Brian certainly did better jobs on that song during this tour.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2012, 02:54:33 AM »

I wonder why there were so many positive reviews of Sail On Sailor. Brian certainly did better jobs on that song during this tour.

He's also done a lot worse. And not everyone has been following this tour, natch. The Beach Boys dropping that song in a major festival set is still a big deal to the casual fan.

Also, in this video of Good Vibrations, Brian clearly isn't feeling it - Jeff keeps pointing to him to sing the second verse, and Brian just, well, ain't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXVNsTr9QPY&feature=relmfu (before 'Jeff is Satan', I'm sure he's very much aware no-one wants to hear him sing GV - they want Brian)

Kinda worried about Wembley in this event - the bigger the crowd, the more Brian gets freaked out and so things like this are more likely. Whilst Wembley is going to kick my ass into next week, kinda wish they did the RFH or something instead.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 03:12:19 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2012, 03:19:09 AM »

Also, in this video of Good Vibrations, Brian clearly isn't feeling it - Jeff keeps pointing to him to sing the second verse, and Brian just, well, ain't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXVNsTr9QPY&feature=relmfu (before 'Jeff is Satan', I'm sure he's very much aware no-one wants to hear him sing GV - they want Brian)

Kinda worried about Wembley in this event - the bigger the crowd, the more Brian gets freaked out and so things like this are more likely. Whilst Wembley is going to kick my ass into next week, kinda wish they did the RFH or something instead.

Did you catch that Foskett is singing Mike's original lyrics to GV ? "to a blossom room we find" Mike mentioned those in the Smile webisodes I believe

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2012, 03:19:43 AM »

Did you catch that Foskett is singing Mike's original lyrics to GV ? "to a blossom room we find" Mike mentioned those in the Smile webisodes I believe

I did. Which kicks ass  Grin

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2012, 03:32:52 AM »

I did. Which kicks ass  Grin

Yeah, came here to post that, really cool Jeff did that, Mike Love looked quite surprised.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2012, 03:52:58 AM »

Mike was great there! What showmanship! Smiley
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2012, 04:20:33 AM »

Dunno if anyone has posted this, from Billboard, Mike is on fiyaaa! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRk-JOAPB2I  Smokin
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 12, 2012, 05:42:20 AM »

I'm really disappointed with that set... thought they would show their mettle instead of the car culture that few festival goers can relate to.

Sounds like the festival-goers related perfectly well to an iconic band's greatest hits.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2012, 06:15:27 AM »

Sounds like the festival-goers related perfectly well to an iconic band's greatest hits.

Exactly! Let us not idealize those festival goers as hardcore, deep-catalogue fans. The set was right on!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2012, 07:20:22 AM »

Exactly! Let us not idealize those festival goers as hardcore, deep-catalogue fans. The set was right on!

Must say from what I have seen and heard , Mike was superb at this gig ( he must have slept well after the show )- How does he do it ?

I wish I had half his energy , and I am 25 years younger than him
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx