gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:26:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 27: Bonnaroo Festival - Manchester, TN 6/10/12  (Read 72905 times)
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »

I think they should change their set list for this Festival. The crowd is young, many hipsters, many hipsters like PS and afterwards, so the setlists should be mostly PS, Smile, Sunflower, Holland and Love You. Ofc there should be a good 10 song selection of earlier songs, but this crowd does not want to hear 6 car songs in a row.

Fingers crossed for a progressive setlist which is more like that of the early-mid 70's!

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this booking. I highly doubt the hip festival crowd wants to hear "409" or "Little Honda," or "Surfin' USA." Hell, I'm a big Beach Boys fan (why else would I be here?) and even I don't listen to those songs on my own volition. It'd suck if they went out there and proved to be the stereotype of what so many people think they are: a bunch of old fart has-beens who never got beyond the musical candyfloss of their earliest work.

I can't believe things like this are said on a supposed Beach Boys fan board.

Can you read? 

Can you choke? You said earlier in that worthless screed that "even I don't listen to those songs on my own volition" (should be "OF my own volition", Poindexter), which leads one to think that indeed, you are comparatively dismissive of their early work, which is totally fine, but it is also fine for me to disagree and find that viewpoint surprising. I also don't know what book you took "jejune" from, but that was a laughable attempt at impressing yourself. People who are "hip", I mean truly hip, are highly aware of the greatness of the early Beach Boys hits. At that particular festival, most of the crowd, as with any other mainstream music festival, want to hear music they already know. Same with Coachella, Glastonbury, any of them. They'll love Surfin' USA.

I don't even know where to begin detangling that clusterf*ck of logorrhea; wait, should I use a simpler word instead? Apparently when I use adult words like "jejune," it gives you a reason to disparage me, as if learning new words through reading is in some way a reason for attack. How do you learn new words, going to thesaurus.com?

As far as me not liking songs like "409," "Barbara Ann," et. al., so what? Does that mean I think they have no merit, or to quote myself, that they are musical candyfloss? No, it means I don't like them, simple as that. I don't think they are devoid of any redeeming qualities, I just don't like them. Just like I respect Schoenberg's "Pierrot Lunaire," but wouldn't listen to it unless there was a real compelling reason to do so. All I said--and I stand by it still--is that I believe that a crowd of young people who consider themselves musically hip would prefer hearing music from "Pet Sounds" and beyond as opposed to the relatively less adventurous earlier works. You can disagree with that position, but don't twist my words into something I didn't write. If you disagree, and believe the hipsters at Bonnaroo would in fact dig Ba-ba-ba-ba-barbara Ann, so be it; but don't accuse me of saying the early Beach Boys music was facile. I did not say that; I only said that it's my belief that the perception that they are exists. If you don't see that, than you've obviously not spent much time outside of the temples of Beach Boys worship.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 07:14:30 PM »

I think they should change their set list for this Festival. The crowd is young, many hipsters, many hipsters like PS and afterwards, so the setlists should be mostly PS, Smile, Sunflower, Holland and Love You. Ofc there should be a good 10 song selection of earlier songs, but this crowd does not want to hear 6 car songs in a row.

Fingers crossed for a progressive setlist which is more like that of the early-mid 70's!

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this booking. I highly doubt the hip festival crowd wants to hear "409" or "Little Honda," or "Surfin' USA." Hell, I'm a big Beach Boys fan (why else would I be here?) and even I don't listen to those songs on my own volition. It'd suck if they went out there and proved to be the stereotype of what so many people think they are: a bunch of old fart has-beens who never got beyond the musical candyfloss of their earliest work.

Can you read? 

Can you choke? You said earlier in that worthless screed that "even I don't listen to those songs on my own volition" (should be "OF my own volition", Poindexter), which leads one to think that indeed, you are comparatively dismissive of their early work, which is totally fine, but it is also fine for me to disagree and find that viewpoint surprising. I also don't know what book you took "jejune" from, but that was a laughable attempt at impressing yourself. People who are "hip", I mean truly hip, are highly aware of the greatness of the early Beach Boys hits. At that particular festival, most of the crowd, as with any other mainstream music festival, want to hear music they already know. Same with Coachella, Glastonbury, any of them. They'll love Surfin' USA.

I don't even know where to begin detangling that clusterf*ck of logorrhea; wait, should I use a simpler word instead? Apparently when I use adult words like "jejune," it gives you a reason to disparage me, as if learning new words through reading is in some way a reason for attack. How do you learn new words, going to thesaurus.com?

As far as me not liking songs like "409," "Barbara Ann," et. al., so what? Does that mean I think they have no merit, or to quote myself, that they are musical candyfloss? No, it means I don't like them, simple as that. I don't think they are devoid of any redeeming qualities, I just don't like them. Just like I respect Schoenberg's "Pierrot Lunaire," but wouldn't listen to it unless there was a real compelling reason to do so. All I said--and I stand by it still--is that I believe that a crowd of young people who consider themselves musically hip would prefer hearing music from "Pet Sounds" and beyond as opposed to the relatively less adventurous earlier works. You can disagree with that position, but don't twist my words into something I didn't write. If you disagree, and believe the hipsters at Bonnaroo would in fact dig Ba-ba-ba-ba-barbara Ann, so be it; but don't accuse me of saying the early Beach Boys music was facile. I did not say that; I only said that it's my belief that the perception that they are exists. If you don't see that, than you've obviously not spent much time outside of the temples of Beach Boys worship.

For a long time, I didn't care for the pre-Pet Sounds material that much. In fact, in 17 years of being a fan, I've only started to appreciate their earlier work a few years ago.  Now, I like pretty much all of it minus the debut album.  It's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Hell, everyone loves Don't Hurt My Little Sister, yet I hate that song with a passion. We're not all going to like the same sh*t. Doesn't make you any more or less of a fan.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »

I love the pre-Pet Sounds material, in fact I think quite a few song such as Please Let Me Wonder, Kiss Me Baby, All Summer Long, Surfer Girl etc are on the same level as Pet Sounds, besides that I never get tired of listening the many albums released in those years. Anyway if the Beach Boys were to perform more of there "hip" material I would love to see a setlist like this. Wink

1. Do It Again
2. Break Away
3. Surfer Girl
4. In My Room
5. She Knows Me Too Well
6. The Warmth Of The Sun
7. Kiss Me Baby
8. Please Let Me Wonder
9. Darlin’
10. Aren’t You Glad
11. Cottonfields
12. Good Timin’
13. Wind Chimes (with extended whispering winds coda)
14. Friends
15. Don't Worry Baby
16. Time To Get Alone
17. Let The Wind Blow
18. Country Air
19. Wonderful
20. Can’t Wait Too Long
21. Vega-Tables (Al singing lead)
22. I Get Around

(Intermission)

23. Add Some Music
24. All This Is That
25. Feel Flows
26. Caroline No
27. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
28. Marcella
29. Cool Cool Water
30. This Whole World
31. All I Wanna Do
32. Sloop John B
33. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
34. Forever
35. Sail On Sailor
36. California Saga/California
37. Heroes and Villains (including cantina section)
38. Surfs Up
39. Til I Die
40. God Only Knows
41. That's Why God Made the Radio
42. California Girls
43. Help Me Rhonda

(Encore)

44. Good Vibrations
45. Surfin’ USA
46. Fun, Fun Fun

I couldn't quite manage to fit in Johnny Carson for all 12 of us who would get it. Grin
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:55:44 PM by MaccaBeatles » Logged
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »

Can you read? 

For a long time, I didn't care for the pre-Pet Sounds material that much. In fact, in 17 years of being a fan, I've only started to appreciate their earlier work a few years ago.  Now, I like pretty much all of it minus the debut album.  It's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Hell, everyone loves Don't Hurt My Little Sister, yet I hate that song with a passion. We're not all going to like the same sh*t. Doesn't make you any more or less of a fan.

Completely agree. It's like a politician who blasts anyone that doesn't blindly support their policies, saying that they aren't patriotic when doing so.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 10:21:48 PM »

I hate it when people talk about "the hipsters".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »

See the thing is they are doing even Barbara Ann properly. It has a sax solo just like The Regents version. Brian plays bass and seems to enjoy it. It's good!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »

Let me quickly add that hearing the current band play the older songs, and my experience at Brian's 23 Oct 2004 solo show, has made me love most of the early stuff. In fact, my current favorite song right now is 'All Summer Long'.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2012, 02:53:24 AM »

The early stuff is boss ! Nothing as great as the early Beach Boys with Brian being in full control of his powers and still evolving. It's some of the most creative popmusic ever. Those harmonies, arrangements, productions and compositions...wow. Added to that the joy they bring to the music. Again, there's nothing like the early stuff starting especially with the Surfer Girl album. imo. not to put the later music down. I love that and think it's fantastic but it all builds on the early years and how they learned to make records then

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2012, 12:10:57 PM »

Both my favorite bands on the same show and on the same day: Beach Boys and Ben Folds Five!!! Smiley Yeeeaaaahhh... But d**n it, I live in Sweden.... Sad

/B
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »

Shame this concert is on the day of Ireland's opening match of the Euro's...

Won't be able to watch Bonnaroo live  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2012, 02:50:58 AM »

Shame this concert is on the day of Ireland's opening match of the Euro's...

Won't be able to watch Bonnaroo live  Undecided
Phew, you're right.. definitely rooting for the Irish there.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »

Deciding that they have had enough publicity and don't need to do any further promtion to sell their new release, the Beach Boys decide to be one of only two bands at the festival that won't have their performance broadcast on YouTube live. 

http://www.examiner.com/article/webcast-schedule-revealed-for-the-2012-bonnaroo-music-festival

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »

Deciding that they have had enough publicity and don't need to do any further promtion to sell their new release, the Beach Boys decide to be one of only two bands at the festival that won't have their performance broadcast on YouTube live. 

http://www.examiner.com/article/webcast-schedule-revealed-for-the-2012-bonnaroo-music-festival
Damn.  Undecided Hoping for a few good YT clips by attendees, then.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2012, 09:47:39 AM »

hahahaah.  That is exactly how I expected this to turn out.    

Womp womp woooooomp
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »

Dale Earnhart Jr?  Seriously, what the freak is he going to do, oil change and tobacco spitting tutorials?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »

WTF ??

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »

Dale Earnhart Jr?  Seriously, what the freak is he going to do, oil change and tobacco spitting tutorials?

Dale Earnhart Jr Jr

indie band from colorado, they are quite decent.
They even did a cover of GOK a few years back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ECnJLbNSw
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »

Dale Earnhart Jr Jr

indie band from colorado, they are quite decent.
They even did a cover of GOK a few years back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ECnJLbNSw

Oh, they named a band after Dale Earnhart Jr.  Awesome.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »

Huge blunder by the Beach Boys here, they really missed an opportunity to be exposed to a whole new audience. History seems to repeat itself doesnt it?
SG7
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »

Huge blunder by the Beach Boys here, they really missed an opportunity to be exposed to a whole new audience. History seems to repeat itself doesnt it?

At the rate they are going sometimes, I wonder how long it will be till they have no audience.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently.....

Some things don't change!  LOL

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »

Folks, let's get a grip.   Most of us are upset just because we were all looking forward to WATCHING it live.  It's not like they backed out of the festival.  They're still playing to an indie crowd at a huge festival.  Not broadcasting it...blunder, yes.  End of the world?  No.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2012, 01:41:57 PM »

Does the band even decide if they're on the broadcast?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2012, 01:49:19 PM »

You're saying you think that out of 50 some bands, the festival organizers decided that the Beach Boys and Skrillex didn't deserve to be broadcast?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »

You're saying you think that out of 50 some bands, the festival organizers decided that the Beach Boys and Skrillex didn't deserve to be broadcast?

I was just wondering. I have no idea.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx