gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:52:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 27: Bonnaroo Festival - Manchester, TN 6/10/12  (Read 72915 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »

The Bonnaroo website has been live streaming select acts the last several years (multiple cameras and a soundboard feed). Who knows, maybe the beach boys will do it, I think it would be great exposure to a younger crowd.

I was talking with a friend today about something similar. We were wondering if any shows would get streamed (like Brian's Stockholm (?) show a few years ago) or made public in some way. Their first performance is at a jazz festival and those things get filmed for TV from time to time. I would love to have some material of the boys at the end of the year

I didnt even think about Jazz Fest. WWOZ broadcasts sets from the festival on their website.

I emailed them and asked if they will broadcast the Beach Boys' set. This is the answer:

We currently have not begun working on contract agreements for JF, however we tend to focus on the WWOZ Jazz Tent and the Blues Tent. Thanks for listening!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 03:32:07 PM »

The Beach Boys Facebook page still lists 6/9 and 6/10 as Bonnaroo performance dates, but the Bonnaroo website only shows the Boys performing on the 10th (3:00 - 4:30 PM). Is Sunday the only day they'll be there?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 03:34:57 PM »

Most likely yes.

Bands usually make one appearance during a festival weekend.  There are a lot of other bands there to perform.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/02/bonnaroo-2012-the-right-and-wrong-of-this-years-lineup/

Bonnaroo 2012: The Right and Wrong of This Year’s Lineup

The Wrong:

The Beach Boys: Sure, we understand that The Beach Boys are (mostly) living legends, but in 2012 there’s just not a lot of liveliness coming from the pride of Hawthorne California. After a disappointing performance at the Grammy Awards one wonders what long-dusty favors were called in for them to claim solid stage time at the Roo. With all due respect to John Stamos’ side gig, we’d have much rather seen this spot filled by Prince, who was heavily rumored to take part in this years’ affair.

I'd like to know what the author thinks after the boys' performance

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »

If they continue the tour in the manner that audiences experienced them these past few weeks - they will be a highlight of Bonnaroo. And they'll be hip.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 04:05:19 PM »

Wait...so they will be playing all three days? So, what about the 8th June show in the Woodlands?!

edit

Dammit...bumping the old post caused me to think this was a NEW post and that my show was cancelled.  Undecided

LOL
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:07:01 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »

Great time slot for the boys

Sun will be out on the main stage, no clashes with other bands so expect a huge crowd

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 07:25:05 PM »

I sure hope they don't mess this up, come on Boys! Show these hipster what you're mad of!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/02/bonnaroo-2012-the-right-and-wrong-of-this-years-lineup/

Bonnaroo 2012: The Right and Wrong of This Year’s Lineup

The Wrong:

The Beach Boys: Sure, we understand that The Beach Boys are (mostly) living legends, but in 2012 there’s just not a lot of liveliness coming from the pride of Hawthorne California. After a disappointing performance at the Grammy Awards one wonders what long-dusty favors were called in for them to claim solid stage time at the Roo. With all due respect to John Stamos’ side gig, we’d have much rather seen this spot filled by Prince, who was heavily rumored to take part in this years’ affair.

I'd like to know what the author thinks after the boys' performance

That person will be in for a huge surprise.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 03:13:47 AM »

I think they should change their set list for this Festival. The crowd is young, many hipsters, many hipsters like PS and afterwards, so the setlists should be mostly PS, Smile, Sunflower, Holland and Love You. Ofc there should be a good 10 song selection of earlier songs, but this crowd does not want to hear 6 car songs in a row.

Fingers crossed for a progressive setlist which is more like that of the early-mid 70's!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 04:24:34 AM »

I think they should change their set list for this Festival. The crowd is young, many hipsters, many hipsters like PS and afterwards, so the setlists should be mostly PS, Smile, Sunflower, Holland and Love You. Ofc there should be a good 10 song selection of earlier songs, but this crowd does not want to hear 6 car songs in a row.

Fingers crossed for a progressive setlist which is more like that of the early-mid 70's!
I guess they haven't rehearsed enough material to produce a significantly more 'artsy' set list for just one festival. They might shorten the set list and drop a few of the surf/car songs, that's the possibility I see. Then there's a high enough density of material which is considered valuable by hipster websites and magazines and they will be successful. Besides, the band rocks anything they play.  Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 04:37:57 AM »

If they just played their second set, that would go down fine - has a bunch of Pet Sounds songs, All This Is That, etc.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 05:12:58 AM »

Endless Summer playlist. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this booking. I highly doubt the hip festival crowd wants to hear "409" or "Little Honda," or "Surfin' USA." Hell, I'm a big Beach Boys fan (why else would I be here?) and even I don't listen to those songs on my own volition. It'd suck if they went out there and proved to be the stereotype of what so many people think they are: a bunch of old fart has-beens who never got beyond the musical candyfloss of their earliest work.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »

Mike has always said that he gets his pop culture education from his daughter these days--hopefully she tells him how different the Bonaroo crowd can be.  I can't imagine they'll change their set way too much considering all the songs we'd want them to play for this gig aren't in their current set. 
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 02:19:45 PM »

Mike has always said that he gets his pop culture education from his daughter these days--hopefully she tells him how different the Bonaroo crowd can be.  I can't imagine they'll change their set way too much considering all the songs we'd want them to play for this gig aren't in their current set. 

Have you heard the stuff he says his daughter listens to? Nothing that the Bonaroo hipsters enjoy, that's for sure.  I can't exactly remember what he said, though he mentioned she likes some various pop artists at the Grammys.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 02:21:14 PM »

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this booking. I highly doubt the hip festival crowd wants to hear "409" or "Little Honda," or "Surfin' USA." Hell, I'm a big Beach Boys fan (why else would I be here?) and even I don't listen to those songs on my own volition. It'd suck if they went out there and proved to be the stereotype of what so many people think they are: a bunch of old fart has-beens who never got beyond the musical candyfloss of their earliest work.

I can't believe things like this are said on a supposed Beach Boys fan board.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »

Yeah, Mike's daughter ain't hip in that sense. She's way too mainstream.  Cool Guy At least that's what I gather. But no worries, the reunion has been managed splendidly so far, that's why I think they will rock Bonnaroo, FSHO3D

And I think that a good live rendition of "Surfin' U.S.A." would go down well with any crowd.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »

Yeah, someone pointed me to a video of Brian performing at Glastonbury when I said something along the lines of hipsters not enjoying Surfin USA and Fun, Fun, Fun.  Yeah, I was really wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yMR53VcUSk

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »

Have you heard the stuff he says his daughter listens to? Nothing that the Bonaroo hipsters enjoy, that's for sure.  I can't exactly remember what he said, though he mentioned she likes some various pop artists at the Grammys.

Well Foster The People isn't exactly mainstream pop and she had dad listening to them a year before they performed together on the Grammys.  Plus they are also playing at Bonnaroo.  The line separating the Grammys crowd and the music festival crowd isn't too far off.  Separated yes, but these days these music festivals are slowly becoming a place to "be seen at", so let's not assume it's overrun by snobby music hipsters that know better.
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »

Can you read? You bolded the least important part of that phrase. Let me correct it for you. I said, "the stereotype of what so many people think they are: a bunch of old fart has-beens who never got beyond the musical candyfloss of their earliest work."

Where does that imply that I, a Beach Boys fan, believe they made jejune music in the early days? It only states what many people, fans and non-fans, know: that a lot of people write the Beach Boys' music off as immature pop songs about surfing, cars, and girls. Do you, in your Beach Boys myopic fandom, really believe that lots of people--especially young people--don't think that way? Especially the hip festival-going types?

Once again, you either accidentally misread that or can't read very well at all.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »

I guess it'll be something like this, maybe with "Marcella" and "All summer long" added:

Do It Again
Catch a Wave
Don't back Down
Surfin safari
Surfer Girl
Then I Kissed Her
You're So Good To Me
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I grow up to be a man
Cottonfields
Be True to Your School
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I get around
Sloop John B
Wouldnt It Be Nice
Sail On Sailor
Heroes and Villains
God Only Knows
That's Why God Made the Radio
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Kokomo
Good Vibrations
Fun Fun Fun

(setlist from the Jazz Fest)

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »

Can you read? 

Can you choke? You said earlier in that worthless screed that "even I don't listen to those songs on my own volition" (should be "OF my own volition", Poindexter), which leads one to think that indeed, you are comparatively dismissive of their early work, which is totally fine, but it is also fine for me to disagree and find that viewpoint surprising. I also don't know what book you took "jejune" from, but that was a laughable attempt at impressing yourself. People who are "hip", I mean truly hip, are highly aware of the greatness of the early Beach Boys hits. At that particular festival, most of the crowd, as with any other mainstream music festival, want to hear music they already know. Same with Coachella, Glastonbury, any of them. They'll love Surfin' USA.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »

The early hits are great, but barbara ann isn't (never was supposed to) and its a song that "hipsters" like to pick on.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »

I guess it'll be something like this, maybe with "Marcella" and "All summer long" added:

Do It Again
Catch a Wave
Don't back Down
Surfin safari
Surfer Girl
Then I Kissed Her
You're So Good To Me
Cottonfields
Be True to Your School
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I get around
Sloop John B
Wouldnt It Be Nice
Sail On Sailor
Heroes and Villains
God Only Knows
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Kokomo
Good Vibrations
Fun Fun Fun

(setlist from the Jazz Fest)

This is my greatest fear. They must never drop Add Some Music, I Just Wasnt Made For These Times and All This Is That, it would be utter disaster.
The way I see them pleasing the crowd with not too far a deviation from current set:

Do It Again
Catch a Wave
Don't back Down
Surfer Girl
All Summer Long
Then I Kissed Her
You're So Good To Me
Cottonfields
Don't Worry Baby
Please Let Me Wonder
I get around
Add Some Music To Your Day
Marcella
Sloop John B
All This Is That
Wouldnt It Be Nice
I Just Wasnt Made For These Times
Sail On Sailor
Heroes and Villains
God Only Knows
Surf's Up
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Surfin' USA
Kokomo
Good Vibrations
Fun Fun Fun

(They could also add something nice like "On My Way To Sunny California" or "Cool Cool Water" or "Darlin"(darian on lead) or another cut from PS or even Wild Honey/Friends/Love You). Dream scenario is "All You Wanna Do".

They should ONLY do Barbara Ann if the crowd is loving the earlier work and if Mike does his Papa Oom Mow Mow part (the songs redeeming line!).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:27:48 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx