gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681327 Posts in 27634 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 01:14:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wild Honey album cover..  (Read 12332 times)
Jameswilliam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:35:10 AM »

Every time i put on my Wild Honey LP I always admire the cover haha, I wonder what happened to the stained glass window, i wonder if its still at bellagio rd? i think thats where it was
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:47:04 AM »

It WAS there. The Bellagio Rd. house has since been torn down. Quite a few years before that, Jeff Foskett took possession of the window, which was located above the front door at 10452 Bellagio. I heard recently that Dan Rutherford has possession of it now - not sure if that's a fact.

If you were inside the house and looked at it with the sun shining outside, it was absolutely beautiful.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »

yes, Dan has it now.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:12:18 AM »

yes, Dan has it now.

Dan is a cool guy. Real nice when I met him, and Canadian as well Smiley

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »

yes, Dan has it now.

Dan is a cool guy. Real nice when I met him, and Canadian as well Smiley

Being Canadian might preclude him from being cool and nice, eh ?  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »

Are there any other photos of the window besides the cover?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 06:29:32 AM »

Any chance Dan Rutherford would take a picture of it and upload it for us ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:57 AM »

I was waiting until it was finished before I posted about it, but this seems like an opportune time...

So my grandma is a stained glass wizard, she does all the stained glass for the churches where I'm from and sells stuff on the side. She likes to give us stained glass stuff as presents, so I have a beautiful lamp she made in my living room and all kinds of other stuff. This summer, I asked her to make me the Wild Honey window for Christmas. I was home in August and brought her my LP. She said the pieces were too small, so we blew it up to 3'x3'. I was home at Christmas and it wasn't done yet, but I don't care if it ends up being my present for the next 5 years. It's going to be too big for an actual window probably, so I am likely going to be hanging it on my wall. I am so stoked to get this thing. I'll post lots of pictures when it's done!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 08:59:42 AM »

That's very cool, Amanda! Back in the 70's, I asked a couple of different people (who were in the business) to do a replica stained glass window of the Wild Honey cover, but with all the lead and materials and labor and stuff, it was cost prohibitive at the time. I would definitely like to re-visit it now though, and ask around to see if someone could do it.

When your Grandma finishes the window, please post a picture of it here, OK?  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »

I've got a photo of Brian sitting in front of the window...but having trouble getting it to post
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:13:19 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 09:26:56 AM »

Jon, I just saw it - that link you provided earlier worked!  That's the first time I ever saw that picture! Looks like it was a much larger version of the one I saw above Brian's front door at Bellagio. Couldn't be the same one, could it? Looks like the one you just posted was a living or family room window at the Laurel Way house circa 1966, but maybe it was Bellagio post April '67? That's something.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 09:29:11 AM »

where's that link?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:43 AM »

Try this...
"http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p614/Jonstebbins/BrianHoney.jpg"

Sorry, I don't know anything about this picture...I can't even remember where I found it. I'm really digging that lamp!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:42:59 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:42:45 AM »

The first one was much better - it was already large, sharp, and detailed.  I can't enlarge the last one for some reason and it's blurry after saving it to my desktop and blowing it up.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »

Check above to see if its better now
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:53 AM »

How about that! Great photo - never saw that before. Did it come from a magazine article, I wonder?

Makes you think how many candid personal photos are tucked away in boxes and albums from various family members, and how so many fans would really enjoy seeing them.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 09:49:03 AM »

Perfect. Just like the picture in the original link that you posted, Jon.

Guitarfool, another photo that needs to be investigated. Or maybe not. Need to get an approximate date on this - is this Laurel Way or Bellagio? Maybe he had this window about a year (1966) before Wild Honey came out? Or was this at the Bellagio house in '67? Also, this window looks MUCH larger than the one above his door at Bellagio. This one wouldn't fit above the door! Were there two Wild Honey stained glass windows? Is the one in this photo just a picture and not a window? That would settle everything.

Edit: Nah, I think it's 1967 - same clothes he wore to LAX for the famous photo when he came back from Michigan.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:19:18 AM by Mikie » Logged

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »

Try this...
"http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p614/Jonstebbins/BrianHoney.jpg"

Sorry, I don't know anything about this picture...I can't even remember where I found it. I'm really digging that lamp!

Thanks for posting. I never realised it was so big. When was that window put in there?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 10:25:10 AM »

Better than the last one, but still not as good as the first one, which was larger and sharper. Damn, wish I'd saved the first one!  Thanks for trying, man.

Guitarfool, I knew you'd be here like flies on poop! Right up your ally, man. Another photo that needs to be investigated. Or maybe not. Need to get an approximate date on this - is this Laurel Way or Bellagio? Maybe he had this window about a year (1966) before Wild Honey came out? Or was this at the Bellagio house in '67? Also, this window looks MUCH larger than the one above his door at Bellagio. This one wouldn't fit above the door! Were there two Wild Honey stained glass windows? Is the one in this photo just a picture and not a window? That would settle everything.

Edit: Nah, I think it's 1967 - same clothes he wore to LAX for the famous photo when he came back from Michigan.

Wish there were more to go on in that photo, it's a tough call. It would seem they cropped the cover photo quite a bit, if the design on the window in the B&W photo is any indication...that window is *huge*!

The question of whether he had that window somewhere at Laurel Way is a great one, Mikie - I just assumed it was always at Bellagio.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 10:53:14 AM »

Two photos found on a quick search, credit to the original uploaders and hosts:

For comparison, notice the gold colored sofa/couch, the carpet, and the single chair Brian is sitting in between all three photos. Obviously the stained glass shot has that chair in front of a window and the shot of Brian with the plates of food has no window. It seems to be the same chair and the same sofa, but what do I know? Grin

I'm hoping someone who knows those interiors can chime in!

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »

Hanging down are his Windchimes. Cool.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »

My God, who did the color coordination for the carpets and upholstery in the house(s)?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 11:49:40 AM »

Thanks for the picture Jon ! Never saw that before.

Does this work ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »

Thanks for the picture Jon ! Never saw that before.

Does this work ?

That works. You're welcome. As far as the Wild Honey image shown in the picture...if it was a photo mock-up or painting or something then that would explain why its so much bigger than what people are remembering about the WH stained glass, however doesn't it look like light is coming through the image in the picture? It looks like stained glass right?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »

Compared to the window to the right of Brian it doesn't seem like that much light is coming out. I would be really surprised if Brian had a giant painting of the Wild Honey cover in his house, though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx