gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:47:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1062398 times)
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: May 31, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »

So far, love the second half. First half sounds fresh, classic, but a little hackneyed (the lyrical callbacks in particular). All of it however, sounds like and represents many of  the various sounds, eras and moods of The Beach Boys - that in itself is an achievement. Looking forward to living with it a while.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: May 31, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »

The guy who leaked the album took this picture, the CD looks nice

Why do people set their CDs down like this? CDs go in CDs players or CD cases, not thrown on top of a wooden table ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: May 31, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »

I wish Mike went in a more introspective direction with his lyrics..

The man's been through so much just like the rest of the BB's in the last 20 years, would've been interesting to hear his thoughts on life etc

Was going to start a separate thread about the lyrics for this album, they really do seem godawful! I'm much more interested in harmony and melody anyway so it doesn't bother me that much, but jeez. I laughed when in the Joe Thomas interview he talks about how amazing it was that Mike Love wrote the lyric 'Spring Vacation, Good Vibrations/Summer weather, we're back together!' in 5 minutes - really?

Maybe when they realized they were going to go with the melancholy, reflective albeit beautiful ending, they decided that they needed Mike's happy, Beach Boyish lyrics to balance things out. Just a thought...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: May 31, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »

Can anyone work out who sings the high part in the main melody of TPLOBAS?
I know Brian is singing the majority but is Foskett taking over at that point?

That's what it sounds like to me. Sounds like Foskett does a line solo, then the next line is a BW / JF hybrid.

Jeff and Brian trade lines in the chorus. Jeff sings the "x to y" bits and Brian sings the answer lines.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: May 31, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »

So brief thoughts after one listen to the album -- it's not very good. But "not very good" is still another way of saying "better than anything released under the Beach Boys' name since 1979". It's about on a level with something like MIU, I suppose -- perfectly competent, but without a single track that sounds like someone had something to say, as opposed to just wanting to put out some product. Some nice tunes, abysmal lyrics throughout, but decent enough I suppose.

Think About The Days sounds like something Bruce would write, but in a good way.
That's Why God Made The Radio sounds much better than the single mix, but is still an underwhelming song.
Isn't It Time is great -- could have come from the Paley sessions from its sound.
Spring Vacation -- sounds like the theme for a poor mid-90s American sitcom. I can't hear it without seeing images in my head of Greg Evigan or Joey Lawrence in an improbably large apartment with a wacky neighbour and an executive production credit for Linwood Boomer.
The Private Life Of Bill And Sue -- one of the best things on the album, but sounds *exactly* like a Boney M record (can't remember the name), apart from the first two seconds, which sound *exactly* like a track by Carolyn Edwards (an LA pop musician who's worked with some of Brian's band).
Shelter -- "but don't forget who's taking you home, and in whose arms you're gonna be...". Worryingly, all the best stuff so far is very, *very* derivative. But this *is* one of the better tracks.
Daybreak -- That's definitely four minutes and twenty seconds of music-like sound.
Beaches In Mind -- Utter, irredeemable sh*t. Along with Spring Vacation the worst thing on the album.
Strange World -- a really interesting track, seems to be equal parts Disney, Beethoven, Phil Spector and bad 80s AOR. Combining different types of bombast is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it comes off.
From There To Back Again -- Nice. Sounds just like Paul Williams. That's a good thing, mostly.
Pacific Coast Highway -- Nice enough, but pointless to judge as a separate track rather than as a link between the two songs on either side of it.
Summer's Gone -- I don't get the fuss that some people have made about this one. It's pleasant enough, in a nursery rhyme way, but doesn't really do anything for me. That said, it took two months for me to really get why Midnight's Another Day was actually a good song after I dismissed it utterly on first listen. Maybe this will grow on me in the same way.

But the thing is, in a couple of months I could have totally changed my opinion. I have with many other Beach Boys albums. Right now, I think this is like A Postcard From California -- something I'll listen to a couple of dozen times in the first month or so, then never again -- but I could be wrong.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: May 31, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »

Can anyone work out who sings the high part in the main melody of TPLOBAS?
I know Brian is singing the majority but is Foskett taking over at that point?

That's what it sounds like to me. Sounds like Foskett does a line solo, then the next line is a BW / JF hybrid.

Jeff and Brian trade lines in the chorus. Jeff sings the "x to y" bits and Brian sings the answer lines.

Nice, you're probably right. Just going off of what I remember from one listen.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: May 31, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »

Also, the musician credits are definitely not correct. There's a distinct bari sax line on the title track, but no credit for Mertens. Possibly a late overdub?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: May 31, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »

wow, AndrewHickey really expected Sunflower 2

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: May 31, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »

wow, AndrewHickey really expected Sunflower 2

No, I didn't. I expected pretty much exactly what we got.
I *hoped* for better, because as recently as 2008 Brian was putting out music that is as good as anything the band ever released, but any expectation I had for anything other than bland competence went away once I heard the title track.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3734 on: May 31, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet (I've tried reading through this entire thread as time has gone by, but my word, it's long). Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "What Love Can Do" the most recent BW track before the stuff on this album? If so, I'm not sure if it's coincidence that there was some kind of pitch correction slathered all over his vocals on that song as well. Now, on the one hand, that was produced by Phil Ramone, IIRC, who I haven't known to use modern tools like that in most of the music of his that I've heard over the years. But it's definitely there. So couldn't it be that Brian requested its use there and continued to do so on the new stuff because he liked the outcome there? To my ears, it sounds no better or worse than it does on the new album.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: May 31, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »

Now, on the one hand, that was produced by Phil Ramone, IIRC, who I haven't known to use modern tools like that in most of the music of his that I've heard over the years. But it's definitely there.

Just like Brian is said to have produced this material and yet the idear of autotune feels pretty foreign to this kind of material. Even at the height of his perfectionism in the 60s, I can't see Brian resorting to something like this, although I'm sure some people could give me some kind of valid points about why he would.

Regardless, I'm sure there are outside influences in stuff like this. It could be some folks from Capitol, it could be Joe Thomas, it could be Melinda (who is known to have wanted Brian to double his lead vocals when redoing them for a live DVD until it was explained to her why this was a terrible idea), etc. etc. etc.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: May 31, 2012, 07:09:57 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "What Love Can Do" the most recent BW track before the stuff on this album?

He's released three solo albums since then.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3737 on: May 31, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "What Love Can Do" the most recent BW track before the stuff on this album?

Oh, wow, the song's that old?! I thought it was maybe 18 months ago or something, recorded contemporaneously with Disney. My bad.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: May 31, 2012, 07:20:22 PM »

People like to point out how "Brian's production style" has to have all these certain things that have to be there for it to be an official Brian production. However, there's people like Quincy Jones, George Martin, Paul McCartney, Dr. Dre, etc. And guess what? A Quincy Jones production from the '80s sounds way different from one in the '90s. McCartney productions from the early '70s sound much different from '80s, which sound different from the '90s. Even say, Dr. Dre, who is from the hip-hop side of the things, he had an album in 1992 which sounded a lot different from the album he released in 1999. People change and so do their styles.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: May 31, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »

Question: can anyone make out the lyrics of the backing vocals on the last verse of shelter - I didn't even notice them until my fourth or fifth listen, but they're really cool.  It's in the last two choruses.  It sounds like their saying "moonlight" to me, but it might just be nonsense syllables even. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: May 31, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »

On "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue", every time they sing "California to Mexico..." I expect the next line to be "everybody's goin' to Kokomo..." Cheesy
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3741 on: May 31, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »

People like to point out how "Brian's production style" has to have all these certain things that have to be there for it to be an official Brian production. However, there's people like Quincy Jones, George Martin, Paul McCartney, Dr. Dre, etc. And guess what? A Quincy Jones production from the '80s sounds way different from one in the '90s. McCartney productions from the early '70s sound much different from '80s, which sound different from the '90s. Even say, Dr. Dre, who is from the hip-hop side of the things, he had an album in 1992 which sounded a lot different from the album he released in 1999. People change and so do their styles.

Amen.

Another thing... the production sounds similar  on the BW christmas album, and TLOS, and Gershwin, and (especially) the Disney album...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: May 31, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »

Question: can anyone make out the lyrics of the backing vocals on the last verse of shelter - I didn't even notice them until my fourth or fifth listen, but they're really cool.  It's in the last two choruses.  It sounds like their saying "moonlight" to me, but it might just be nonsense syllables even. 

I noticed this as well. They are really cool.  They give that last chorus a really cool vibe, I was really into the song when I heard this.  But I have no idea what they're saying.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: May 31, 2012, 07:45:25 PM »

I noticed this as well. They are really cool.  They give that last chorus a really cool vibe, I was really into the song when I heard this.  But I have no idea what they're saying.

Isn't that Spanish (as per Joe Thomas)?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: May 31, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »

2- unfamiliar and trendy production techniques are being used as exhibit A for proving that BW was overruled by Thomas.

2b - footnote: this is a definition of "trendy" which includes sounding like an album that's 30 years old this year.  ('80s power chords are retro now, folks!)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: May 31, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »

Isn't that Spanish (as per Joe Thomas)?

That's on the bridge to Strange World, I believe.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: May 31, 2012, 07:58:51 PM »

Amen.

Another thing... the production sounds similar  on the BW christmas album, and TLOS, and Gershwin, and (especially) the Disney album...

100% agree I was going through saying Style wise.. Smile, Disney, TLOS ,Gershwin etc

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: May 31, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »

I love the album. But I loved Disney so did the kids, I also loved Gershwin so did my Dad, I also love TLOS so did my kids and wife.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: May 31, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »

Oh, wow, the song's that old?! I thought it was maybe 18 months ago or something, recorded contemporaneously with Disney. My bad.

They've put it out on a couple of different compilations since then, so it's tough to track. But I believe the original CD (which also includes a remake of GOK) was issued in 2007. It was appreciated, too, because we hadn't had a studio album from BW for a couple of years at that point.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: May 31, 2012, 08:06:57 PM »

So, of course Mike had to include "Fun, Fun, Fun" in the lyrics to Beaches In Mind.

Jesus christ, what is WRONG with this guy??
didn't he wrote GREAT lyrics, such as All This Is That ?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx