gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:55:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055817 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: May 30, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »

FTTBA is my second favorite so far, behind the single. Maybe Summer's Gone will take that spot when I hear the whole thing. Shelter just jumped ahead of Isn't It Time for me. I'm disappointed that Isn't It Time has a repetitive final minute that ultimately causes the chorus to wear out it's welcome. I can't say that I actively dislike any of the tracks though. It strikes me that this album doesn't have the best sequencing, e.g. Shelter following Private Life, but we can change that for ourselves if we like.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:03:35 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: May 30, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »

I've just done a little piano-and-vocal cover of 'Spring Vacation'..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8mO6vhN3Jc&feature=youtu.be   Grin

You made it sound like "Bad Day"! (I have no clue who that song is by, but you know the one).
Very cool.
 Grin
The one by Daniel Powter? Yeah, I see what you mean.^^

Yes!

maybe if they'd produced it that way it would have been a worldwide hit like 'bad day' was Tongue

Still Lurkin'
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: May 30, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »

Well, the sequencing is very intentional ...

A capella (ish) opener, then the three or four single possibilities.

Then you have the mellow middle.

And then you finish off with the mini-suite.

Makes sense conceptually, but I think in reality that yeah, you probably do bog down with those tunes in the middle. Might have been better to move one of them earlier in the record.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:12:45 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3428 on: May 30, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

I almost wouldn't feel embarrassed listening to From There to Back Again in public!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: May 30, 2012, 11:14:46 AM »

Sorry if it has been posted already but the Guardian is streaming 5 tracks of the album:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may/30/album-stream-beach-boys-god-radio?CMP=twt_gu

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: May 30, 2012, 11:17:17 AM »

Well, That's Why God Made The Radio arrived at work quite a bit earlier that expected.  I have it in hand, and will be enjoying it straightaway.  Just a head's up to those with indie / mom and pop's in their area.  Maybe I'm not the only one.  Happy hunting!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:19:06 AM by Generation42 » Logged
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: May 30, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »

Anyone else feeling that Al's pristine (compared to the state of the others') vocals are going to be a highlight on this thing?

Still Lurkin'
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: May 30, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »

Anyone else feeling that Al's pristine (compared to the state of the others') vocals are going to be a highlight on this thing?

I think his vocals are what make FTTBA the stand-out track that it is. His vocal turn on Isn't It Time- the"E-ver-y-time I think of you" lines- really stand out. He gives the whole project the shot of youthfulness it required to sound like a real Beach Boys album.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3433 on: May 30, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »

@Runaways & Wirestone: Brian didn't produce this, somebody else did. You know that right?  Wink Whatever the reason for this, I don't like it. I wouldn't like it even if it was actually produced by Brian. Or anybody, for that matter.

Quote from: Wirestone
...but please let's not do the "Brian didn't want to do it this way" schtick.
Far from it. I guess it's much more possible that he didn't really care. What I meant was: in a scenario where Brian was truly interested in the project and given 100% control (which hasn't happenend for ages, obviously) we would have gotten something else entirely. That's all I'm saying.

Point is.. I don't like how TWGMTR sounds. And I'm kind of suprised I'm in the minority with this among BBs fanatics.

As soon as I have a copy I will play Keepin' The Summer Alive and That's Why God Made The Radio in a row, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's basically the same experience. KTSA might still sound more authentic.

Just to chime in so you don't feel so alone ...

Sorry to say I agree for the most part.

The only thing I will add is the part about it sounding dated in 10 years. It sounds 'dated' in a bad way right outta the gate.

I miss Dennis & Carl. Looking forward to the box set.

Clearly Brian simply approved this album and maybe did some vocal arranging and gave suggestions here and there. This is a Joe Thomas prodution.

There is a difference between selecting a producer and actually producing something.

Keepin' the Summer Alive kills compared to this stuff. BB '85 and Still Cruisin sound better in fact. And those are two albums I no longer own.

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: May 30, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »

I know there was some question as to which musicians laid down the tracks during these sessions.  I'm not sure if it's been sussed out already, but upon first glance I noted that along with complete lyrics, the liner notes give a detailed accounting of instrumentation for each track.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:48:02 AM by Generation42 » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: May 30, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »

I know there was some question as to which musicians laid down the tracks during these sessions.  I'm not sure if it's been sussed out already, but upon first glanceI noted that the liner notes give a detailed accounting for each track.
Let us have 'em, then.  Smiley
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: May 30, 2012, 11:52:17 AM »

Isn't it great how some people know things they have absolutely no way of knowing? Looks like select members of the human species truly have evolved to the next level of consciousness.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:58:26 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: May 30, 2012, 11:54:21 AM »

I know there was some question as to which musicians laid down the tracks during these sessions.  I'm not sure if it's been sussed out already, but upon first glanceI noted that the liner notes give a detailed accounting for each track.
Let us have 'em, then.  Smiley

Ok, well, it's a long list and my scanner is broken, but I'm happy to help.  Just bear with me for a bit as I type it up.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: May 30, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »

Clearly Brian simply approved this album and maybe did some vocal arranging and gave suggestions here and there. This is a Joe Thomas prodution.

There is a difference between selecting a producer and actually producing something.

I don't think it's clear at all. "some" vocal arranging?  Probyn stated in an interview that he didn't think Thomas was the producer and more of an overseer on the album.  Everything Thomas states in this interview seems to back that up, and I'm fairly certain Probyn is very honest on stuff like that.
http://andrewromano.tumblr.com/joethomasbeachboys

You may not want to believe that Brian had a big hand in this album, but it certainly seems so.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: May 30, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »

01. "Think About The Days"

Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, Jeffrey Foskett - Vocals, Joe Thomas - Piano (I was hoping it was Brian), Probyn Gregory- French Horn, Scott Bennett - Vibes

02. "That's Why God Made The Radio"

Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce - Vocals, David Marks, Tom Bukovich, Nick Walusko, Nick Rowe - Guitar, Foskett - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Chad Cromwell - Drums, Michael Rhodes - Bass, John Hobbs - Piano, Scott Bennett - Organ, Darian Sahanaja - Vibes
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3440 on: May 30, 2012, 12:05:58 PM »

I don't think it's clear at all. "some" vocal arranging?  Probyn stated in an interview that he didn't think Thomas was the producer and more of an overseer on the album.  Everything Thomas states in this interview seems to back that up, and I'm fairly certain Probyn is very honest on stuff like that.
http://andrewromano.tumblr.com/joethomasbeachboys

You may not want to believe that Brian had a big hand in this album, but it certainly seems so.

I doubt it.

But, that's cool! I have no problem with everyone enjoying the album and believing it is a BW production. I just don't think it is, that's all. He may very well have done all or most of the vocal arranging. Perhaps he completely produced the album and somehow his production style now sounds like Joe Thomas'. Regardless of who is responsible, it doesn't sound good to me. I'll probably buy it on vinyl when it comes out, play it once or twice and put it back on the shelf.

Hope all of my fellow fans have a great week and I'll see you guys in Berkely on Friday!

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: May 30, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »

03. "Isn't It Time"

Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Foskett - Vocals, David - Guitar, Jim Peternik - Ukelele, Percussion, Larry Millas - Bass

04. "Spring Vacation"

Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce - Vocals, David, Tom Bukovic, Nick Walusko, Jim Riley - Guitar, Foskett - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Chad Cromwell - Drums, Michael Rhodes - Bass, Scott Bennett - Clavinet, Organ, Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter - Electric Guitar
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: May 30, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »

I'm enjoying "Isn't It Time", but I agree that the chorus was a little overused.
FTTBA is the standout for me, but that's no surprise. It actually lived up to my expectations, though.

Sure, the production of this album is a downer, but that was something I knew going in. I don't even like the production of most of BW's solo albums. I know we'll never get another pet sounds, but I can only imagine how good some of this could've sounded if they had approached someone like Jonathan Wilson or someone that has worked with Neko Case, Fleet Foxes, etc -- Polished (and possibly even a little pitch correction in the case of Neko's latest album), but still organic enough.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: May 30, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »

I have no problem with everyone enjoying the album and believing it is a BW production. I just don't think it is, that's all.

Because, of course, your beliefs trump repeated and regularly stated facts to the contrary.

As I've stated before, the production on the album sounds little like Imagination (which did have a Joe Thomas co-production and co-arranging credit) and much like TLOS or the Gershwin and Disney albums (which do not). Joe does say he oversaw the recording aspects of the new respect, which certainly explains some of the vocal processing or mixing decisions.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:20:38 PM by Wirestone » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: May 30, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »

Listening to all BUT FTTBA, I want the suite to be complete.

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: May 30, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »

05. "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue"

Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce - Vocals, David - Guitar, Foskett - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Snaps, John Cowsill - Drums, Snaps, Brett Simons - Bass, John Hobbs - Piano, Nelson Bragg - Timpani, Percussion, Probyn Gregory - Banjo, Acoustic Guitar, Scott Bennett, Darian Sahanaja - Vibes, Tom Bukovich - Acoustic Guitar, Paul Mertens - Bari Saxophone, Skip Masters - Radio Voiceover, Jessica Bish, Joe Thomas - Snaps

06. "Shelter"

Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce - Vocals, David - Guitar, Foskett - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Probyn Gregory - Trombone, French Horn, John Hobbs - Tack Piano, Joe Thomas - Harpsichord, Tom Bukovich - Electric Guitar, Nelson Bragg - Percussion
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: May 30, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »

I have no problem with everyone enjoying the album and believing it is a BW production. I just don't think it is, that's all.

Because, of course, your beliefs trump repeated and regularly stated facts to the contrary.

As I've stated before, the production on the album sounds little like Imagination (which did have a Joe Thomas co-production and co-arranging credit) and much like TLOS or the Gershwin and Disney albums (which do not). Joe does say he oversaw the recording aspects of the new respect, which certainly explains some of the vocal processing or mixing decisions.

Eh it's fine if he wants to stick to that.  
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: May 30, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »

05. "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue"

Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce - Vocals, David - Guitar, Foskett - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Snaps, John Cowsill - Drums, Snaps, Brett Simons - Bass, John Hobbs - Piano, Nelson Bragg - Timpani, Percussion, Probyn Gregory - Banjo, Acoustic Guitar, Scott Bennett, Darian Sahanaja - Vibes, Tom Bukovich - Acoustic Guitar, Paul Mertens - Bari Saxophone, SkiDo I really wanna get banned?asters - Radio Voiceover, Jessica Bish, Joe Thomas - Snaps

06. "Shelter"

Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce - Vocals, David - Guitar, Foskett - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Probyn Gregory - Trombone, French Horn, John Hobbs - Tack Piano, Joe Thomas - Harpsichord, Tom Bukovich - Electric Guitar, Nelson Bragg - Percussion

Thanks for all of these.

David sure isn't doing much singing on the album, is he?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:26:11 PM by Wirestone » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: May 30, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »

I like the cleanness of the recordings.
I don't LOVE the production, but it's not bad.

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: May 30, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »

07. "Daybreak Over The Ocean"

Mike, Christian Love, Hayleigh Love, Adrian Baker - Vocals, Brian, Al, Bruce, Foskett - Additional Vocals, Scott Totten - Acoustic and Electric Guitar, Cliff Hugo - Bass, Curt Bisquera - Drums

08. "Beaches In Mind"

Brian, Mike Al, Bruce, Foskett - Vocals, David, Jim Riley, Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter - Guitar, John Cowsill - Drums, Brett Simons - Bass, Joe Thomas - Organ, Scott Bennett - Clavinet, Organ, Probyn Gregory - Acoustic Guitar
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx