gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:11:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 141 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055970 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3375 on: May 29, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »

Brian writes a song about the concept of "Shelter" -- and that's not weird?
...no?

I'm fine without the "weird".  I think that word has a slight negative connotation anyway. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: May 30, 2012, 12:22:22 AM »

Brian writes a song about the concept of "Shelter" -- and that's not weird?

I'm with you.  The one I always point at is "Fun Fun Fun".  We all grew up with it... so it's part of our pop consciousness... but if you think about the sheer brilliance of writing a song called... oh... "Love Love Love" .... or "Happy Happy Happy".... or "Women Women Women".... or "Weed Weed Weed".... or "Money Money Money"....   or "Peace Peace Peace" or whatever else you want to write a song about.... Brian was really thinking outside of the box, EARLY.  

Another one was "Don't Worry Baby"... he wrote it for a girl group so he could fantasize they were singing it to him... then when they wouldn't, he just swapped the point of view around!  "When She Says...." and then sings what he'd have her sing to him.  completely brilliant, but long forgotten because we've all heard it since we were children. 

... and I know Brian didn't write all those lyrics, but still the concept likely originated with him, like "Saturday Morning in the City", and "That's why God Made the Radio", or "Rio Grande", or whatever else weird he's done. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:25:13 AM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: May 30, 2012, 12:29:14 AM »

I thought it was amusing that Mike was a little unsure on the release date for the album at last night's show.  Hopefully he'll be on top of it a bit more soon!  LOL

I thought it was kind of relieving when I watched the video. Showed to me at least that he wasn't simply thinking of $$$ and selling albums.

Once they get something like this rolling, it's on cruise control.  Mike has people wake him up and tell him what he's doing that day....   He doesn't have to worry about the money, he has people taking care of that for him Smiley 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: May 30, 2012, 12:31:29 AM »

What's that ? a challenger ?

I cannot believe that Mike, who portrays himself as this macho asshole "I'll kick your ass" persona... .has such a flamboyant wardrobe not so many years ago.  I love it, believe me, I do, I wish he'd pull out that sh*t now... but it's just SO STRANGE that the two Mikes are the same. 

BTW, has anybody ever tried to get an 8X10 of a picture like that autographed by Mike, and saw his reaction to it?
atroxi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:48 AM »

5 track album sampler up @ The Guardian's website, for those who want to partake:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may/30/album-stream-beach-boys-god-radio?CMP=twt_gu

...and by sampler, I mean five complete tracks.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: May 30, 2012, 07:54:02 AM »

ugh god no..WHY GUARDIAN WHYYYYYY
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3381 on: May 30, 2012, 07:58:19 AM »

As predicted, From There to Back Again is full of - unpredictable - changes. Very, very good tune. Isn't It Time definitely is one of the highlights of the album for me. The other three songs are very good as well but less remarkable.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: May 30, 2012, 08:21:53 AM »

I can't not listen to these, dammit.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: May 30, 2012, 08:26:42 AM »

Wow...the full "From There To Back Again" blew my mind. I wasn't impressed with the Amazon sample when I heard it. The iTunes sample made me like it a little more, and I liked the beginning that was heard on the WalMart sample. Hearing the full thing, it's incredible. That's a masterpiece of epic proportions. Brian Wilson is still a  genius, he still has it. Wonderful.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: May 30, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »

5 track album sampler up @ The Guardian's website, for those who want to partake:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may/30/album-stream-beach-boys-god-radio?CMP=twt_gu

"Isn't It Time" - awesome tune, horrendous production. Voices are way too thinly mixed, ugly instrumental tracks way too prominent.  Undecided

"Spring Vacation" - similar case. I would have preferred a more natural-sounding production style, without the obvious autotuning and "tin-canning" of the voices. But I fear this could become the catchy tune of the summer 2012.  Grin

"Bill & Sue" - sounds like a true Brian original, but again, the soulless production destroys a lot here, I fear. A moore minimalistic approach would have been the way to go. Pretty much forgettable.

"Shelter" - *sigh*, same here. The voices are buried under too much sh*t. I can imagine this would be a decent enough tune if Brian would have been allowed to produce this the way he wants to. But the way it is it's streamlined, radio-friendly and unoffensive to the degree of me not really giving a f*ck. Maybe it'll grow on me, I don't know..

"From There To Back Again" - Why is the lead vocal processed like this? Sounds ugly. I don't get it.. the BBs voices are fine enough to record a good album without any overly obvious processing or pitch correction necessary. Just look at Brian's past few solo LPs: sure there's pitch correction here and there, but the albums still sound pretty awesome, and natural.

I think I will continue to enjoy TLOS and BWRG (etc.) much more than this.. as far as I am concerned, there's not much of a difference in how bad the new LP sounds production-wise compared to their 80's output. What I like about their 60's and 70's stuff is the naturalness and authenticity of the recordings, that's why Pet Sounds for instance still sounds so damn fresh today. I fear that TWGMTR will sound dated in less than a decade, just like their 80's output. It's a shame because there are some really good tunes buried in these ugly tin cans, I think.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: May 30, 2012, 09:01:51 AM »

How do you know this isn't how Brian wanted to produce the record? 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »

I can imagine this would be a decent enough tune if Brian would have been allowed to produce this the way he wants to.

The production on this record was Brian's decision. People will differ on its quality, but please let's not do the "Brian didn't want to do it this way" schtick. He made the call to involve Joe Thomas, and he knew what the finished product would likely sound like in that case.  What's more, the players are mostly Brian's band, so it's even less likely that Joe pulled anything underhanded production wise.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: May 30, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »

Embarrassed

WHAT TO DO!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: May 30, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »

I can't stop listening to From There to Back Again, somebody halp me plz.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: May 30, 2012, 09:08:34 AM »

Embarrassed

WHAT TO DO!

Stay strong mate!  Spring Vacation is the only one I've let myself listen to since it was on the radio. 
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: May 30, 2012, 09:09:19 AM »

Agreed, i doubt brian and the boys are much in connection with the changing trends of snobbery from ultra pop |\/|usic fans (me included, god i hate the auto tune!).

I do disagree with Lowbacca about the production of Isn't It Time, though! That strikes me as a standout, with its moog baseline and odd percussion vibe it's probably  the only track that sounds like it has a genuine BW production on it!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:16:20 AM by Sea Devil » Logged

Still Lurkin'
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: May 30, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »

Agreed, i doubt brian and the boys are much in connection with the changing trends of snobbery from ultra poDo I really wanna get banned?usic fans (me included, god i hate the auto tune!). [Edit: why won't it let me say the word pop?!]!

Theres two letters that can't be posted in succession on this board.  One ends pop,the other begins music
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: May 30, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »

@Runaways & Wirestone: Brian didn't produce this, somebody else did. You know that right?  Wink Whatever the reason for this, I don't like it. I wouldn't like it even if it was actually produced by Brian. Or anybody, for that matter.

Quote from: Wirestone
...but please let's not do the "Brian didn't want to do it this way" schtick.
Far from it. I guess it's much more possible that he didn't really care. What I meant was: in a scenario where Brian was truly interested in the project and given 100% control (which hasn't happenend for ages, obviously) we would have gotten something else entirely. That's all I'm saying.

Point is.. I don't like how TWGMTR sounds. And I'm kind of suprised I'm in the minority with this among BBs fanatics.

As soon as I have a copy I will play Keepin' The Summer Alive and That's Why God Made The Radio in a row, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's basically the same experience. KTSA might still sound more authentic.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: May 30, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »

Isn't It Time : cool, i'm glad there's not the claps intro they did live in it
From There To Back Again : boom! that's my tish
Shelter : catchycatchycatchycatchy
Private Life Of Bill And Sure : feels something is missin', but it's nice
Spring Vacation : KILL IT WITH FIRE
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: May 30, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »

"Breathe in..breathe out...just six more days...stay centered...stay calm...don't listen to the five complete songs on the guardian website....."

(Justin putting on "All I Wanna Do")

Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: May 30, 2012, 09:29:24 AM »

@Runaways & Wirestone: Brian didn't produce this, somebody else did. You know that right?  Wink Whatever the reason for this, I don't like it. I wouldn't like it even if it was actually produced by Brian. Or anybody, for that matter.

Quote from: Wirestone
...but please let's not do the "Brian didn't want to do it this way" schtick.
Far from it. I guess it's much more possible that he didn't really care. What I meant was: in a scenario where Brian was truly interested in the project and given 100% control (which hasn't happenend for ages, obviously) we would have gotten something else entirely. That's all I'm saying.

Point is.. I don't like how TWGMTR sounds. And I'm kind of suprised I'm in the minority with this among BBs fanatics.

As soon as I have a copy I will play Keepin' The Summer Alive and That's Why God Made The Radio in a row, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's basically the same experience. KTSA might still sound more authentic.
Indeed, i don't think anyone is disputing that we all prefer a vintage production sound, but this is what we have! I've struggled with the production of Brian Wilson's first solo album, but after working at it was able to look past it and enjoy the songs which i guess is what the majority of people here are prepared to do!

Still Lurkin'
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: May 30, 2012, 09:33:46 AM »

I haven't really enjoyed the production on any beach boys album post 1975 (cept Dennis) and the production here, while not as organic as I'd like, seems like something Ill be able to overlook easily
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: May 30, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »

What I meant was: in a scenario where Brian was truly interested in the project and given 100% control (which hasn't happenend for ages, obviously) we would have gotten something else entirely. That's all I'm saying.

From all reports, he was truly interested, and was indeed the prime driver behind the project. Given that he specifically sought out Joe Thomas to make this record -- and several years ago, to boot -- this is clearly what he wanted to do. Make this record with these people for the Beach Boys.

(It also, incidentally, doesn't sound much like Imagination. It sounds like a more vocally processed TLOS or BWRG. Which makes sense, given that Brian's band plays on it, his arranger is doing the strings and horns, and he's producing the darn thing.)
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: May 30, 2012, 09:42:54 AM »

Sorry if this has been covered. Has anyone found the best way of ordering a vinyl copy in the UK?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3399 on: May 30, 2012, 09:43:22 AM »

I feel like I'm the only one who likes the production , especially on Isn't it Time. -_-

(It also, incidentally, doesn't sound much like Imagination. It sounds like a more vocally processed TLOS or BWRG. Which makes sense, given that Brian's band plays on it, his arranger is doing the strings and horns, and he's producing the darn thing.)

You're right...it doesn't. Imagination sounded plastic in comparison.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 141 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx