gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:24:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055780 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: May 27, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »

Nothing important.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:03:19 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: May 27, 2012, 02:59:21 PM »

slim, i'd wager that is not something that needs to be discussed out here. 
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: May 27, 2012, 03:01:12 PM »

As I said earlier, its all stuff that doesn't involve any of us, so let's get along.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:03:45 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: May 27, 2012, 03:05:57 PM »

That is (kinda) the truth.

Let's just set this out for all to see. I apologize if I get anything wrong.

Jon and John ended The Smile Shop. I'm pretty sure they were gonna maybe bring it back in another form, but I suppose that never happened.

Chuck L. and others were sad to see The Smile Shop forum die, so he basically took it over and renamed it Smiley Smile (thus what we have today).

So naturally, John, Jon, Ian, blah blah blah, were upset cuz they felt Chuck co-opted The Smile Shop. But they still stuck around somewhat.

Then there was the Professor (apparently not the same Van Dyke Parksian "professor" who graces us today. And the professor did some things that would be considered inappropriate to a lady on the board. I will leave her name out. And Chuck apparently took dudes side or something, and then apparently the same chick said Chuck was being inappropriate to her. Was he? Well that's up to you to decide folks.

So that led the quote "final" blowout, and some really decent posters left for TRR. I honestly think those involved wanted any excuse to leave this place anyways, and this definitely gave them room to. But whatever, just my opinion.  But I recall Ian around here because I think he secretly loves the place, despite his protestations.

So along the way, some other decent folks would always have a hearty laugh over at TRR because they think we here at SS are stupid BB obsessed assholes. But whatever. There's still some good convo over there, so I occasionally post there now too. And let's be honest, if anybody is posting at either "the rocking beach boys room" or "smiley smile" and could tell you the name of track 7 on KTSA, chances are they are obsessed. Most of the people on both boards are generally nice people (even you Ian), and we should just all get along.

Any questions??

A bit jumbled. The Professor incident (which I, of course, hastened) ended the original BB-centered Smile Shop. The site was closed then for reopening at a later date, with a non-BB centered focus, which it did. In the meantime, Chuck started this place, against the wishes of Jon and John. A lion's share of the major posters stayed away until the Jo(h)ns gave their blessing. Then Smiley and Smile Shop coexisted until the Chuck photoshop/PM reading incident, which hastened a large walkout from this board (hastened by me). Smile Shop ended after a big incident between the proprietors and a certain poster (guess who?). Then the Record Room was started.
But generally, you got it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: May 27, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »

But I recall Ian around here because I think he secretly loves the place, despite his protestations.

How'd you guess?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: May 27, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »

But I recall Ian around here because I think he secretly loves the place, despite his protestations.

How'd you guess?

Ha.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:19:24 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: May 27, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »

A bit jumbled. The Professor incident (which I, of course, hastened) ended the original BB-centered Smile Shop. The site was closed then for reopening at a later date, with a non-BB centered focus, which it did. In the meantime, Chuck started this place, against the wishes of Jon and John. A lion's share of the major posters stayed away until the Jo(h)ns gave their blessing. Then Smiley and Smile Shop coexisted until the Chuck photoshop/PM reading incident, which hastened a large walkout from this board (hastened by me). Smile Shop ended after a big incident between the proprietors and a certain poster (guess who?). Then the Record Room was started.
But generally, you got it.

I figured I messed it up somewhat. But yeah. There you go. And now I have 3 (?) posts in a row. Pathetic.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: May 27, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »

ah now i see why the first thing spaceman ever said to me was "noob".  so much i don't know
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3283 on: May 27, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »

Whatever happened to the guy who used to post "What you talkin' bout Willis?" on one of the old-old Smile boards and had Gary Coleman as his avatar? This was even before there was a private message function and posting your email address was the option. I think he got banned - maybe someone has a list somewhere. My memory is hazy before 2002 because before that I only used work computers and they monitored online use... Grin

Speaking of Chucks, whatever happened to that photo of the Chuck Taylor sneakers with the Smile imagery on them that used to be on one of those older boards? That would be a neat pair of kicks to wear to the BBs concerts, with a paisley shirt of course.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: May 27, 2012, 03:29:17 PM »

Still no leak, not a trace..

For those getting impatient  Razz

If you've listened to everything available through legitimate perfectly legal channels (samples. radio, youtube), then you have already heard about 83% of the album. I don't know how much suspense could be left after that.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3285 on: May 27, 2012, 03:34:11 PM »

Still no leak, not a trace..

For those getting impatient  Razz

If you've listened to everything available through legitimate perfectly legal channels (samples. radio, youtube), then you have already heard about 83% of the album. I don't know how much suspense could be left after that.

There is the part I don't understand - why bother with an "official" release date if so much of the music is available for preview, and hundreds of various music journalists from the Podunk Gazette up to Spin magazine have it...where is the suspense?

I still can't wait to go to the store and buy a new Beach Boys album featuring Brian in my lifetime...that will be as awesome as actually buying two "official" Smile releases over the counter. Things once thought impossible.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3286 on: May 27, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »

so much i don't know

But there is always someone out there who remembers, though...and there are usually two sides to every story, or two stories to every side, or every picture tells a story, etc... Cheesy

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: May 27, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »

Enough of the 83% BS... You haven't heard an album until you have liner notes at hand and can play it from A to B with no interruptions.

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: May 27, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »

Enough of the 83% BS... You haven't heard an album until you have liner notes at hand and can play it from A to B with no interruptions.

i actually don't like reading lyrics when i listen to an album the first time.  I think it distracts, same with music videos
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: May 27, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »

true speak.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: May 27, 2012, 05:08:09 PM »

It's not BS. You've heard 83% of the album. No one here has said "I've heard 83% of the album in clip form, thus I've heard the album," or anything ridiculous like that.

Liner notes, cover artwork etc. also imposes strongly upon your initial impression of the album too. Sometimes it's nicer to let your brain decide what color this song is or what that song makes you think of instead of an artist giving detailed imagery, lyrics, music videos, and sh*t like, "This song is about..." Those things have their place, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it's nice to enjoy those things after the songs have become your own.

No need to fault people for their listening preferences. If they want to listen to clips, cool. If they want to wait (what if you die while waiting? :O ), cool .
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:12:46 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: May 27, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »

There's a very detailed thread in the Sandbox (use search function key word: exodus to find it) that will eliminate any further discussion regarding the "incident".

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: May 27, 2012, 05:24:50 PM »

meh, it got boring after spaceman was banned
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: May 27, 2012, 07:13:31 PM »

true speak.

Yeah man, liner notes is totally my fav song, best post SMiLE if you ask me.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: May 27, 2012, 09:06:45 PM »

Let me put it this way. There have been lots of times when I knew what I was getting for Christmas well beforehand, but I still eagerly awaited the day when I could wake up early, tear off the Santa Claus gift wrap and start enjoying my presents. That's pretty much  how I feel about the new Beach Boys album. I don't expect a lot of surprises and I feel like I pretty much know what to expect because of what's already out there on the internet. However, I still VERY much look forward to June 5, when I can bask in the glory of holding a new Beach Boys CD in my hands, and to be able to listen in superior sound quality with no rough edits. For those of you with the willpower to have resisted listening to all the preview clips, you will be delighted come Christmas morning.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: May 27, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »

Eh? I was never banned.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3296 on: May 27, 2012, 10:31:55 PM »

Eh? I was never banned.

I'll definitely give every chance to say maybe you have forgotten over time as it was 6-7 years ago, but this statement isn't true.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: May 27, 2012, 11:56:07 PM »

Eh? I was never banned.

I'll definitely give every chance to say maybe you have forgotten over time as it was 6-7 years ago, but this statement isn't true.

Maybe I was timed out for one or two days, but not banned. I mean, geez, I was a moderator on this board for a while even.

ReggieDunbarJr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: May 28, 2012, 12:38:43 AM »

Interesting thing in old interview!

Don't know if its been mentioned here before but in 2009, late august, Brian said that the week before he wrote a new song called
"The Private Life of Bill and Sue" !

http://www.bt.se/noje/brian-wilson-i-bt-intervjubr-(1491972).gm

//RDjr
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: May 28, 2012, 05:16:57 AM »

Eh? I was never banned.

Maybe I was timed out for one or two days, but not banned. I mean, geez, I was a moderator on this board for a while even.

Ian, if you go back onto what is left of the board meltdown on this board, Jon makes reference to you getting banned.  Might have only been for a day as a timeout, but that's what they are talking about.  Someone went back and read the accounts and is saying that the part after you were banned is boring.

And for everyone else, I think Ian means that "banning" is more permanent than a day or two.  Like how Sebastian got banned from the Record Room.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 05:20:22 AM by Jeff Mason » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx