gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:18:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1051373 times)
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: May 23, 2012, 03:28:00 AM »

Its a subscribers only review.

Could someone copy and paste it here?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: May 23, 2012, 03:35:48 AM »

Hm. I see a hissing Jann S. Wenner, phoning his lawyers. He once was a hippie, I hear. Not so any more. He turned into what he once utterly despised.

Which happens very often, by the way.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3052 on: May 23, 2012, 04:59:33 AM »

I'm generally liking what I hear so far, even the songs I thought were duffers at first are growing on me. That could be just a symptom of being starved of new Beach Boys product for most of my life though...

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: May 23, 2012, 05:36:20 AM »

The Paley tracks to my mind would have been the best BW solo album he's done, period .

...because it's unreleased.  If TLOS was unreleased, you'd be saying IT'S the best album he ever did.

quote]
......or maybe I just prefer the Paley sessions, personal taste n'all that. I love TLOS it's a damned fine album.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: May 23, 2012, 05:39:27 AM »

The Paley tracks to my mind would have been the best BW solo album he's done, period . I'd prefer an official archive release as is though rather than further recording and a release as a new BB's album.

The difficult truth is that Brian had less involvement with many Paley sessions tracks -- as songwriter and producer -- than he did with his solo work before or after that time. People simply prefee Paley's impression of BW than BW's actual creations.
To me it's not a question of assessing how much Brians involved, just how good or rather how much I like the album.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: May 23, 2012, 05:46:31 AM »

The Paley tracks to my mind would have been the best BW solo album he's done, period .

...because it's unreleased.  If TLOS was unreleased, you'd be saying IT'S the best album he ever did.

quote]
......or maybe I just prefer the Paley sessions, personal taste n'all that. I love TLOS it's a damned fine album.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: May 23, 2012, 06:36:48 AM »

Here's the review I did of "That's Why God Made The Radio" for a Minneapolis arts rag I write for called L'Etoile.

http://www.letoilemagazine.com/2012/05/23/we-will-rock-you-the-square-sounds-of-the-beach-boys/

Lemme know what y'all think, whether or not you agree and all that.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: May 23, 2012, 06:55:28 AM »

Here's the review I did of "That's Why God Made The Radio" for a Minneapolis arts rag I write for called L'Etoile.

http://www.letoilemagazine.com/2012/05/23/we-will-rock-you-the-square-sounds-of-the-beach-boys/

good stuff, my one problem is when you imply that the sophistication of pet sounds/smile was something brian did "totally accidently".  Isn't it established that Brian was going for sophistication?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: May 23, 2012, 06:57:15 AM »

Great review Jon. Things like this, from a fan like yourself, is what really excites me about this album. I know that the final three songs on the album are a great "career capper" supposedly, but I hope they keep going on. If only from the iTunes clips, this does not sound like a band who sound tired and ready to hang it up. They seem to have a new lease on life, and I think they should ride this wave as far as it takes them.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: May 23, 2012, 07:01:21 AM »

Here's a fairly positive review from a Seattle newspaper.

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/blogcritics/article/Music-Review-The-Beach-Boys-That-s-Why-God-3578675.php
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: May 23, 2012, 07:03:20 AM »

good stuff, my one problem is when you imply that the sophistication of pet sounds/smile was something brian did "totally accidently".  Isn't it established that Brian was going for sophistication?

No no -- I said it *happened* accidentally. I even say as much re: brian shooting for hip, but the accident was that those albums arrived (or, in the case of Smile, didn't arrive!) in a world that totally welcomed sophisto chamber pop. Right time, right place, kind of.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: May 23, 2012, 07:25:40 AM »

That sure is a lot of simple sentences.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3062 on: May 23, 2012, 07:48:30 AM »

Hm. I see a hissing Jann S. Wenner, phoning his lawyers. He once was a hippie, I hear. Not so any more. He turned into what he once utterly despised.

Of course it does: Image sells more than reality, and once that image makes enough money, that person can transition back to reality and have enough money in the bank to cover it or simply not care. When those youngsters in the record business back in the 60's labeled the "kids", the idealists, and the hippies in some cases took over the record companies into the 70's and 80's, look what happened across the board.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3063 on: May 23, 2012, 08:12:07 AM »

One particular statement or theme in this review (http://www.letoilemagazine.com/2012/05/23/we-will-rock-you-the-square-sounds-of-the-beach-boys/), how Brian Wilson has always been a colossal cornball, doesn't hold up when you put his music and his productions from 1963-67 into that equation. At that time, he was one of the few producers who had the ears of most in the pop music business, had more clout than I'd bet 98% of people his age and background in the business at that time, and that point continues to be driven home every time another of his peers says in an interview how influential his records at that time were on other artists and producers making pop music. The driving force behind that clout and respect was mostly the way his records sounded and the way they were received by the public and the record biz types alike.

Cornball sells in very large quantities but it doesn't garner the same level of respect and the same aura as innovation.

It's not about hip, it's not about pop-culture iconoclastic imagery, it's about putting out songs that people heard on the radio and on record and considered to be at the forefront of pop recording at that time. Brian *was* competitive at that time and has admitted it, he *was* trying to outdo Spector and the Beatles and others, and he was making records that were cutting-edge for pop or teen music of that era. I'd suggest there was a different kind of drive behind those records and that music, a different kind of mindset that went into creating them which did not go into nearly everything the man released from the 70's onward with a few but very significant exceptions, and even those exceptions had a foot in the past rather than a start-from-scratch mentality. There was that competitive edge in that process which the man himself admits he discarded soon after the Smile era, and making that kind of music no longer appealed to him as much as making records which pleased him.

The statement about cornball would ring more true if the years from, say, 1963-67 were taken out of the equation.

I also think comparing anything from this album to something from the 60's classic era is a mistake, as shown by Brian's reaction when Al attempted to link it somehow to Pet Sounds during the PBS interview. The mindset going into this latest album was not 1965, even though some of the resulting sounds may have come out sounding like 1965.

The new album may be cornball, but to apply that overall to Brian's music from the 60's didn't feel right - not completely wrong, but not right.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: May 23, 2012, 08:28:08 AM »

Yeah, but Craig, Brian Wilson, even during the hitmakin' years was always way more about the Four Freshmen and Rosemary Clooney -- the epitome of pure corn, though of course awesome! -- than Chuck Berry. His roots have always been in music other people would consider corny/cheesy. The point is that he was able to transform his influences into great songs. But the corn was there -- always. It came out in his songs, too!

And yeah -- there's no point in comparing this record to stuff from the 60s, even though in terms of quality the last few songs are on a par with, say, a Pet Sounds or a Til I Die.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: May 23, 2012, 08:28:41 AM »

One particular statement or theme in this review (http://www.letoilemagazine.com/2012/05/23/we-will-rock-you-the-square-sounds-of-the-beach-boys/), how Brian Wilson has always been a colossal cornball, doesn't hold up when you put his music and his productions from 1963-67 into that equation. At that time, he was one of the few producers who had the ears of most in the pop music business, had more clout than I'd bet 98% of people his age and background in the business at that time, and that point continues to be driven home every time another of his peers says in an interview how influential his records at that time were on other artists and producers making pop music. The driving force behind that clout and respect was mostly the way his records sounded and the way they were received by the public and the record biz types alike.

Cornball sells in very large quantities but it doesn't garner the same level of respect and the same aura as innovation.

It's not about hip, it's not about pop-culture iconoclastic imagery, it's about putting out songs that people heard on the radio and on record and considered to be at the forefront of pop recording at that time. Brian *was* competitive at that time and has admitted it, he *was* trying to outdo Spector and the Beatles and others, and he was making records that were cutting-edge for pop or teen music of that era. I'd suggest there was a different kind of drive behind those records and that music, a different kind of mindset that went into creating them which did not go into nearly everything the man released from the 70's onward with a few but very significant exceptions, and even those exceptions had a foot in the past rather than a start-from-scratch mentality. There was that competitive edge in that process which the man himself admits he discarded soon after the Smile era, and making that kind of music no longer appealed to him as much as making records which pleased him.

The statement about cornball would ring more true if the years from, say, 1963-67 were taken out of the equation.

I also think comparing anything from this album to something from the 60's classic era is a mistake, as shown by Brian's reaction when Al attempted to link it somehow to Pet Sounds during the PBS interview. The mindset going into this latest album was not 1965, even though some of the resulting sounds may have come out sounding like 1965.

The new album may be cornball, but to apply that overall to Brian's music from the 60's didn't feel right - not completely wrong, but not right.

Brilliant
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: May 23, 2012, 08:30:01 AM »

Just heard the itunes clips,sounds more promising than i first thought.. kinda like it!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: May 23, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »

so i wonder if a "review embargo" has officially come off in the past couple days.  We've had a couple reviews come out today
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: May 23, 2012, 08:52:52 AM »

Their Pet Sounds review would have probably been something like : "God Only Knows, a song on which Carl Wilson sings about the fact that, it's only God who knows."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: May 23, 2012, 08:53:17 AM »

I got a funny feeling most of the reviews will be pretty negative
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:32:29 AM by Slim Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: May 23, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »

I gotta a funny feeling most of the reviews will be pretty negative

I think you're probably wrong.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: May 23, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »

Is there not a website that compiles reviews (similar to what rottentomatoes.com does for movies)?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: May 23, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »

Is there not a website that compiles reviews (similar to what rottentomatoes.com does for movies)?

metacritic, but on a muuch smaller scale and only the big review sites get on it.  A rottentomatoes for music would be sweet.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3073 on: May 23, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »

The Paley tracks to my mind would have been the best BW solo album he's done, period . I'd prefer an official archive release as is though rather than further recording and a release as a new BB's album.

The difficult truth is that Brian had less involvement with many Paley sessions tracks -- as songwriter and producer -- than he did with his solo work before or after that time. People simply prefee Paley's impression of BW than BW's actual creations.
To me it's not a question of assessing how much Brians involved, just how good or rather how much I like the album.

See, this is where my opinion differs.  I want to hear what Brian is up to and where he's at.  There's a historical importance there.  I'm not sure we're hearing real Beach Boys music, as nice as it might be.

And for the record, I'm not down on the new album. I just hope they do another one, for the ages.

Additionally, my opinion here is nothing new -- I just this article I wrote in 1999 from my old website online!:

http://troun.tripod.com/essentialrarities.html

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:08:34 AM by DonnyL » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: May 23, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »

I think that happened to all the hippies.......  apart from the ones that O'D or are now living on the street shouting crazy things at the people walking by.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx