gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:44:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1067924 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2700 on: May 16, 2012, 03:20:02 PM »

Basically, the production reminds of High School Musical or something, and Brian sounds responsible for maybe a quarter or a third of the arrangements (if you include the vocals). Songwriting wise, it's hard to say, but probably only a couple songs are completely written by Brian from a chord and melody perspective. Overall, it's a decent album, but the freaks aren't going to like. Nostalgic old people will probably get a kick out of it, though.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: May 16, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »

So, I'm seriously digging Shelter, Strange World, and It Isn't Time more and more.  Strange World is really, REALLY interesting. I'm going to love this album, and I think a lot of critics will too.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: May 16, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »

I think this is the perfect last album, perfectly describes the boys,

A few duds, a few catchy "jinglish" songs, and a few that are the pinnacle of art. This has it all folks, and some AMAZING harmonies.

Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: May 16, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »

It seems like Brian wrote The Private Life of Bill and Sue in 2009. This is a translation from a 2009 swedish interview:

Is it easier for you to write music today?
- No, it's really not. I wrote the album That Lucky Old Sun, but nowadays it's a little harder for me.

Why?
- I don't know... I'm not sure I can do it anymore.

Not sure you can?
- Maybe if I really wanted. I have tried my best. By the way, I wrote a song last week called The Private Life of Bill and Sue. It goes like this: "The private life of Bill and Sue. It does not matter what They do." I havn't finished the lyrics yet, but the melody is done.

Brian Wilson begins to sing:
- "The private life ..." I can't do it by heart, but I have it on tape.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: May 16, 2012, 05:29:52 PM »

. Songwriting wise, it's hard to say, but probably only a couple songs are completely written by Brian from a chord and melody perspective.

And you base this statement based on...??

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: May 16, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »

It seems like Brian wrote The Private Life of Bill and Sue in 2009. This is a translation from a 2009 swedish interview:

- No, it's really not. I wrote the album That Lucky Old Sun, but nowadays it's a little harder for me.

Why?

Not sure you can?
- Maybe if I really wanted. I have tried my best. By the way, I wrote a song last week called The Private Life of Bill and Sue. It goes like this: "The private life of Bill and Sue. It does not matter what They do." I havn't finished the lyrics yet, but the melody is done.

Good catch! So yes, smack in the middle of his "five year dry spell," as he put it in the June '11 CBC interview, Brian just managed to write a song one week. I bet you anything that Brian manages to write songs during his periods of "writer's block." It's probably just not as frequent or fulfilling as the periods when he's inspired every day.

. Songwriting wise, it's hard to say, but probably only a couple songs are completely written by Brian from a chord and melody perspective.

Thank you for the note of skepticism there. From the sound of the record so far, I'd say Brian was much more directly involved in terms of arrangement and production than he was for "Imagination." The songwriting is harder to tell, but all but a couple of the songs sound like his creations to me.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: May 16, 2012, 05:40:50 PM »

Dada, tell us about a 1/4 of the arrangements too? Is this an inference from what you heard, or do you know for sure?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: May 16, 2012, 05:48:44 PM »

Why?

Not sure you can?

Wow. Great stuff. Glad to hear this, makes me appreciate Sue a little more, I'm excited to hear it entirely.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: May 16, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »

Dada, tell us about a 1/4 of the arrangements too? Is this an inference from what you heard, or do you know for sure?

I would seriously doubt anyone except but Brian, Joe and the session musicians know the facts here. And if Joe did that much of it, they certainly wouldn't tell anyone.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: May 16, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »

I would seriously doubt anyone except but Brian, Joe and the session musicians know the facts here. And if Joe did that much of it, they certainly wouldn't tell anyone.

Right. Harsh criticism is fine. But enough with the bold statements based on very limited data (or lack of thereof).

Just one thing regardings Brian's alledged writer's block. It's likely that he's less productive than he was 40 years ago. Or that it takes longer for him to finish a song. But, based on the interviews he gives, it's like he calls "writer's block" whichever period that goes by without him writing a new song. If the interview falls into one of those periods (that may last probably a couple days or a week sometimes) he'll clam to be suffering from a writer's block.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: May 16, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »

Maybe I had very low expectations, but after finally listening to the iTunes previews... this is pretty damn good. I like it more than the BW solo stuff/anything Beach Boys related since at least 1977. Think About the Days, Summer's Gone, Pacific Coast Highway, Strange World, Shelter all sound great so far.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: May 16, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »

WHY NO LOVE FOR THE BEST? FROM THERE TO BACK AGAIN?

I love the lyrics

"Don't you understand the words are singing in the wind? I wish we the could get from here to back again!"

The title and the "Da-Da-Daaa" after the lines "Pacific Coast Getaway" are AMAZING. AND THAT FLUTE MAKES ME CRY.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: May 16, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »

Maybe I had very low expectations, but after finally listening to the iTunes previews... this is pretty damn good. I like it more than the BW solo stuff/anything Beach Boys related since at least 1977. Think About the Days, Summer's Gone, Pacific Coast Highway, Strange World, Shelter all sound great so far.

Yeah man!  Good time to be a fan.  Can't wait for the album, it's going to be excellent.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: May 16, 2012, 06:55:33 PM »

WHY NO LOVE FOR THE BEST? FROM THERE TO BACK AGAIN?

I love the lyrics

"Don't you understand the words are singing in the wind? I wish we the could get from here to back again!"

The title and the "Da-Da-Daaa" after the lines "Pacific Coast Getaway" are AMAZING. AND THAT FLUTE MAKES ME CRY.

I think the cool part of FTTBA is that it has sections -- and the clips we've heard so far has mainly been Al's introductory piece. So it's harder to judge, perhaps, then the rest of the songs. But it does seem very pretty.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: May 16, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »

Why did Joe Thomas had to enter into Brian Wilson's life... why.
Matt Allison
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: May 16, 2012, 07:21:06 PM »

I just listened to the tracks on iTunes. As someone that has used pitch correction software for over 10 years (both Autotune and Melodyne), I have to say that I don't hear any egregious pitch correction on ANY of these songs.

What I do hear is a fair amount of the Eventide harmonizer effect that is commonplace on almost all major label recordings. This is a stereo effect where the left side is pitched down a few cents, say 12, and the right side is pitched up a few cents, say 12. This is then blended with the dry vocal to provide a thickening, chorusy-type effect. It's been used on Mike Love's vocals in the live setting for probably at least 20 years.

I like what I've heard of the album so far. Seems to easily be their best since the L.A. album, and probably surpasses it. That's a rather monumental achievement in my estimation.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: May 16, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »

I just listened to the tracks on iTunes. As someone that has used pitch correction software for over 10 years (both Autotune and Melodyne), I have to say that I don't hear any egregious pitch correction on ANY of these songs.

What I do hear is a fair amount of the Eventide harmonizer effect that is commonplace on almost all major label recordings. This is a stereo effect where the left side is pitched down a few cents, say 12, and the right side is pitched up a few cents, say 12. This is then blended with the dry vocal to provide a thickening, chorusy-type effect. It's been used on Mike Love's vocals in the live setting for probably at least 20 years.

I like what I've heard of the album so far. Seems to easily be their best since the L.A. album, and probably surpasses it. That's a rather monumental achievement in my estimation.

You know, something like this is refreshing.  Thanks for the info Matt, I, and I assume many others, appreciate it.  Many people here claim to be experts, many probably are, and many other simply make broad generalized statements like "this is slathered in autotune!" without really knowing what it is/does. 

So what's worse, an Eventide harmonizer effect or Antares Autotune? The fact is, it simply doesn't matter. Some people might be grateful or relieved to hear that auto-tune hasn't been applied to these vocals.  Others might dismiss the idea. Whatever the case, it just doesn't freakin matter.  I guess if the vocals upset you so much that you refuse to purchase the album or whatever, fine.  But that the Boys are releasing a brand new album, full of what seem to be promising new brilliant tracks, then I could care less what program has been used to enhance their vocals.  Auto-tune has become such a dirty word that people associate with modern pop acts that the mere thought of it on a Beach Boys album turns them off.  What if everyone started saying, "Oh, this has Eventide harmonizer effects on it, I won't listen to this".  People would think they were mad.  But for some reason, "Oh I hate this because of the auto-tune" is a justified argument.  Get what I mean?

I guess I'm sort of rambling here, but I'm trying to make a point and I'm having a hard time formulating words for how I feel.  I don't know.  This is going to be a friggin great album.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: May 16, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »

You know, something like this is refreshing.  Thanks for the info Matt, I, and I assume many others, appreciate it.  Many people here claim to be experts, many probably are, and many other simply make broad generalized statements like "this is slathered in autotune!" without really knowing what it is/does. 

So what's worse, an Eventide harmonizer effect or Antares Autotune? The fact is, it simply doesn't matter. Some people might be grateful or relieved to hear that auto-tune hasn't been applied to these vocals.  Others might dismiss the idea. Whatever the case, it just doesn't freakin matter.  I guess if the vocals upset you so much that you refuse to purchase the album or whatever, fine.  But that the Boys are releasing a brand new album, full of what seem to be promising new brilliant tracks, then I could care less what program has been used to enhance their vocals.  Auto-tune has become such a dirty word that people associate with modern pop acts that the mere thought of it on a Beach Boys album turns them off.  What if everyone started saying, "Oh, this has Eventide harmonizer effects on it, I won't listen to this".  People would think they were mad.  But for some reason, "Oh I hate this because of the auto-tune" is a justified argument.  Get what I mean?

I guess I'm sort of rambling here, but I'm trying to make a point and I'm having a hard time formulating words for how I feel.  I don't know.  This is going to be a friggin great album.

No man, it's a sound. Who cares what the name of the software is?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: May 16, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »

I don't think a lot of people--myself among them--dislike things like Autotune because they are associated with vapid pop acts, but because they seem to be used typically as band-aids. Adding an echo, or some delay, or reverb, whatever, is usually done to add a certain dimension to a sound, not to cover up the fact that the sound was bad in the first place. That's my beef with Autotune, and I imagine the beef of many others. If they are honestly using pitch correction for artistic reasons, just like they'd use distortion on a guitar or reverb on vox, more power to them. But if they are doing it because they don't think the Boys' voices are up to snuff any more, then that's pretty lame. In my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:43:04 PM by Landlocked » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: May 16, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »

No man, it's a sound. Who cares what the name of the software is?

I guarantee numerous people here would be thrilled to hear Autotune is not being used and that would placate them.   

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: May 16, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »

I don't think a lot of people--myself among them--dislike things like Autotune because they are associated with vapid pop acts, but because they seem to be used typically as band-aids. Adding an echo, or some delay, or reverb, whatever, is usually done to add a certain dimension to a sound, not to cover up the fact that the sound was bad in the first place. That's my beef with Autotune, and I imagine the beef of many others. If they are honestly using pitch correction for artistic reasons, just like they'd use distortion on a guitar or reverb on vox, more power to them. But if they are doing it because they don't think the Boys' voices are up to snuff any more, then that's pretty lame. In my opinion.

So, if they "aren't up to snuff" should we have been satisfied with poor vocal performances?

I personally think they ARE up to snuff, and that the vocal enhancement may have been unnecessary.  I don't mind however. If the performances really were that bad you rather have listened to poor performances?

bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: May 16, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »

that Melodyne effect is being used on the high parts of a track like "Isn't It Time" ("isn't it tiiime"), where it's slightly distracting (if you're hoping for more "real" or "raw" sounding vocals). But you don't hear fairly egregious autotune on a track like "Spring Vacation" ("hal-lel-u-jah")? Again, it's a matter of taste and if it doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother you - but it's there...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:57:03 PM by bcdam » Logged
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: May 16, 2012, 08:59:16 PM »

So, if they "aren't up to snuff" should we have been satisfied with poor vocal performances?

I personally think they ARE up to snuff, and that the vocal enhancement may have been unnecessary.  I don't mind however. If the performances really were that bad you rather have listened to poor performances?

Did you see the QVC performance tonight? Those were live songs, and they all sounded pretty good. They would obviously sound better in the studio, without the aid of any things like Autotune.

Plus, just because vocals aren't perfectly polished, doesn't mean they aren't good. Raw can sound good. Could you imagine Bob Dylan's albums if they had that slick studio quality? OK, Dylan isn't the BB--fair enough. How about Pacific Ocean Blue? How about Love You? I personally would rather hear "rougher" vocals than Autotune'd ones. They are more natural, and therefore more emotive.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: May 16, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »

Did you see the QVC performance tonight? Those were live songs, and they all sounded pretty good. They would obviously sound better in the studio, without the aid of any things like Autotune.

Plus, just because vocals aren't perfectly polished, doesn't mean they aren't good. Raw can sound good. Could you imagine Bob Dylan's albums if they had that slick studio quality? OK, Dylan isn't the BB--fair enough. How about Pacific Ocean Blue? How about Love You? I personally would rather hear "rougher" vocals than Autotune'd ones. They are more natural, and therefore more emotive.

No no I agree with you!  I guess I read your post differently than you intended.  I was just saying that I rather have enhanced vocals than poor vocals with bum notes and all.  The Love You argument is tough to make though.  The bum notes and singing in that album add to its charm, but if that was the Beach Boys product released in 2012, I gotta say I would be pretty upset.  Love You is Love You because of its history and charm and uniqueness, but if it was released on June 5 of this year it would have, well, very little of that.  Maybe I feel this way because I wasn't alive when it was released. 

Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: May 16, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »

No no I agree with you!  I guess I read your post differently than you intended.  I was just saying that I rather have enhanced vocals than poor vocals with bum notes and all.  The Love You argument is tough to make though.  The bum notes and singing in that album add to its charm, but if that was the Beach Boys product released in 2012, I gotta say I would be pretty upset.  Love You is Love You because of its history and charm and uniqueness, but if it was released on June 5 of this year it would have, well, very little of that.  Maybe I feel this way because I wasn't alive when it was released. 

Fair enough. Perhaps the "raw" vocals wouldn't work on songs like TWGMTR, but we'll never know I suppose. As far as "Love You," yeah, I agree--it'd be an odd release for 2012.

P.S. I wasn't born when it was released, either  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx