gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:20:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055762 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: May 15, 2012, 01:58:35 PM »

100% agreed. At this point, I could give two sh*ts about who started it, just that it gets finished and doesn't end up on the board anymore.

That's good with me, man. I just hope Iron Horse-Apples isn't dissuaded from giving his opinion. I, for one, welcome his insights.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2576 on: May 15, 2012, 02:05:16 PM »

With the Adrian Baker talk, this might be a good opportunity to remember how far we've come: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNV-eve42M0&feature=

Good f*ckin' gravy, that's horrible. I'd rather swallow a gallon of gasoline, get set on fire, and have my ashes snorted by Keith Richards than ever be subjected to that again.

Ugh, what a dire period for the band. Not only is Adrian's voice terrible, but he's also pretty ugly and has a dumb receding hairline. and Tim Bonhomme (the keyboard player) is smoking a cigar! what the hell?

and Mike looks like an asshole with that goatee.

all of that being said, I didn't think his voice stood out to well on Mike's solo recordings. The vocals are probably my favorite part of that album.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:06:16 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: May 15, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »

yet at the same time, i want to see more videos of the band from this period
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: May 15, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »

I disagree with people who say that "Spring Vacation" is very SIP... I actually think it has way more of an "Its OK" from 15 Big Ones vibe. And I LIKE that song.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: May 15, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »

"Spring Vacation" seems to borrow a bit of Elton John's "Tiny Dancer".

Ex-CUSE me ? It resembles "TD", even passingly, about as much as "The Star Spangled Banner" sounds like "4.33".
Good one.
Seconded, that was a hilarious response Andrew. Incidentally I think "The Star Spangled Banner" nicks much more from John Lennon's "Two Minutes Silence" than it ever did from "4:33."

I hope you'll forgive me for pointing out that another poster, who apparently did not read my post, noted the similarity to "Tiny Dancer"! Not trying to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the song; just something I noticed.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: May 15, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »

Wow. Those samples blew me away.  I will say, the vocal processing is very apparent on some of these Amazon clips, but I'm fairly certain the actual product will sound entirely different.  Go listen to the TLOS clips on Amazon.  They certainly sound nothing like the actual record.  In any case, Summer's Gone had on me the same effect as another recent poster. It made me close my eyes and just...listen.  It's beautiful.  In fact, a LOT of this is beautiful.  I really enjoyed Daybreak as well.

I'm beyond excited for this album.  I hope many of us hear enjoy it, this may be the last time we get this folks.

(Just thought I'd mention, the only song that the processing really bothers me is Beaches in Mind, other than that, it really doesn't bother me)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:19:32 PM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2581 on: May 15, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »

That was broadcasted as the Beach Boys' show of the AVO-sessions. I taped it when it aired one time on TV. Have it on VHS, so sorry that I can't upload it. But really, you don't wanna see that ! You don't !! Don't, don't, don't !!! I still can't believe on what a horrible musical level they were. All the negative stuff and hate about the Mike & Bruce show comes from this era. It's unbelievable how good they became after Baker was gone (it started when he was still there). Totten really did/does a great job. I only wonder why Mike and Bruce got along with that trainwreck of a "band" that you've just seen on youtube.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: May 15, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »

What is that bass player's name?  I was watching a Mike/Bruce gig the other night from 2007 and that bass player was still there...probably the most blandest, unexciting performer to ever join them.  I cringed as he sang "Cottonfields"...no emotion...no conviction...it was shameful.  He seemed to be the last of the players left over from the fuller group found in this video.  So glad I never saw that version of The Beach Boys.  No doubt this band probably left a permanent bad taste in everyone's mouth...
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: May 15, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »

What is that bass player's name?  I was watching a Mike/Bruce gig the other night from 2007 and that bass player was still there...probably the most blandest, unexciting performer to ever join them.  I cringed as he sang "Cottonfields"...no emotion...no conviction...it was shameful.  He seemed to be the last of the players left over from the fuller group found in this video.  So glad I never saw that version of The Beach Boys.  No doubt this band probably left a permanent bad taste in everyone's mouth...

Yeah, seeing that I was quite young during this time period, I'm real grateful I didn't have to witness this.  The band has come such a long way, in a very short amount of time they have improved their public image that had been tattered with SIP, the lawsuits, the infighting, and Carl's death.  Since 1998 Brian has lead a successful and critically acclaimed solo career, he released a definitive Smile, we've seen some brilliant Mike and Bruce tours, the groundbreaking Smile Sessions were released, Al released a very solid solo album, and now the Boys are back together, performing an amazing tour and releasing what seems to be a promising album.  Wow. Just wow.  It's hard to realize this, you really have to let it sink in. 

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2584 on: May 15, 2012, 02:41:50 PM »

What is that bass player's name?

The bass player is Chris Farmer. I believe he joined during the last periode with Carl. Iirc he can be seen as part of the band on the concert footage of the Nashville Sounds DVD's intro.

EDIT:

Yeah, seeing that I was quite young during this time period, I'm real grateful I didn't have to witness this.  The band has come such a long way, in a very short amount of time they have improved their public image that had been tattered with SIP, the lawsuits, the infighting, and Carl's death.  Since 1998 Brian has lead a successful and critically acclaimed solo career, he released a definitive Smile, we've seen some brilliant Mike and Bruce tours, the groundbreaking Smile Sessions were released, Al released a very solid solo album, and now the Boys are back together, performing an amazing tour and releasing what seems to be a promising album.  Wow. Just wow.  It's hard to realize this, you really have to let it sink in.

I think Brian's tours and their critical success really were the start to concentrate again on the greatness and quality that the Beach Boys' name deserves. I don't know what would've been had Brian not made his touring carreer
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:45:33 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: May 15, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »

That was broadcasted as the Beach Boys' show of the AVO-sessions. I taped it when it aired one time on TV. Have it on VHS, so sorry that I can't upload it. But really, you don't wanna see that ! You don't !! Don't, don't, don't !!! I still can't believe on what a horrible musical level they were. All the negative stuff and hate about the Mike & Bruce show comes from this era. It's unbelievable how good they became after Baker was gone (it started when he was still there). Totten really did/does a great job. I only wonder why Mike and Bruce got along with that trainwreck of a "band" that you've just seen on youtube.

Presumably because they had some loyalty to them -- the only poor musicians in that band were Baker and Kowalski, both of whom they'd been working with off and on for decades. Swapping in Randell Kirsch for Baker and moving Cowsill to drums from keyboards was all the band really needed to become very good.

And Justin -- Chris Farmer was usually rather good, He did a *great* Sail On Sailor. You probably saw him on a bad night.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: May 15, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »

What is that bass player's name?  I was watching a Mike/Bruce gig the other night from 2007 and that bass player was still there...probably the most blandest, unexciting performer to ever join them.  I cringed as he sang "Cottonfields"...no emotion...no conviction...it was shameful.  He seemed to be the last of the players left over from the fuller group found in this video.  So glad I never saw that version of The Beach Boys.  No doubt this band probably left a permanent bad taste in everyone's mouth...

Chris Farmer.  Replaced the great Ed Carter.  What was with that parrot?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:45:19 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2587 on: May 15, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »

Swapping in Randell Kirsch for Baker and moving Cowsill to drums from keyboards was all the band really needed to become very good.

No, it took much more than that. Their whole approach at playing these songs is different now. There's respect for the songs that was missing too often during that time.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: May 15, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »

The bass player is Chris Farmer. I believe he joined during the last periode with Carl. Iirc he can be seen as part of the band on the concert footage of the Nashville Sounds DVD's intro.

Chris Farmer.  Replaced the great Ed Carter.  What was with that parrot?

Thanks guys, I suppose anyone would've been tough to follow Ed Carter.  

And Justin -- Chris Farmer was usually rather good, He did a *great* Sail On Sailor. You probably saw him on a bad night.

Sweet Moses...he did "Sail On Sailor"??  Wow...would I love to see that.   I was watching a 2007 performance from Branson, Misouri (well circulated).  Although it was pro-shot, the sound wasn't really great at all so I can't really comment on his bass playing but his lead vocals on "Cottonfields" (among others I can't recall which ones) were just so pedestrian--it was a tough watch.  It was the first time I recognized what people may have hated about the Mike/Bruce road show.  I'd be happy to revise my opinion on the dude but going by what I saw in that one performance...he can only go up in my book!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: May 15, 2012, 02:54:05 PM »

Swapping in Randell Kirsch for Baker and moving Cowsill to drums from keyboards was all the band really needed to become very good.

No, it took much more than that. Their whole approach at playing these songs is different now. There's respect for the songs that was missing too often during that time.

And that respect started once Baker was swapped for Kirsch. Even in 2004, when that was the only line-up change and Chris Farmer was still musical director, they sounded infinitely better than they had a year or two earlier. And once they replaced Kowalski with Cowsill, they sounded better still. Scott Totten has done a wonderful job since taking over as the musical director, but the problem was essentially a personnel one, Having a drummer who couldn't keep time and a falsetto vocalist who couldn't sing was dragging the rest of them down.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2590 on: May 15, 2012, 02:54:53 PM »

Yes, Mike and Bruce at that point sounded like the cover band you'd see at your local bar. It is a shame about Kowalski because he was quite good in the 70s, and I love his work with Nick Drake. Was there a falling out with Adrian Baker?

It is weird to compare Darian/Wondermints to Adrian Baker. They are all very influenced by Brian and The Beach Boys, but the Wondermints also made original music that wasn't simply pastiche. Everything I have heard from Baker has been pastiche and medlies, which are fine, and they have their place... but I never saw a unique artistic direction there.

Edit: Back on topic - does anyone else hear the water dripping as a percussive effect in "Summer's Gone?" Very nice, reminds me of "Cool Cool Water."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:58:46 PM by b00ts » Logged

- B00ts
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: May 15, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »

I think Brian's tours and their critical success really were the start to concentrate again on the greatness and quality that the Beach Boys' name deserves. I don't know what would've been had Brian not made his touring carreer

Yes. They really stepped up their game, especially after Brian toured Pet Sounds and Smile. The one-two punch of that era -- roughly 2000-2004 was pretty profound in Beach Boys land. And Mike and Bruce just didn't react for awhile.

But then they did -- and they managed to revamp the band and setlists at about the time that Brian started to tour less and feature less-ambitious setlists, so they ended up looking a lot better than they might have even a year or two before.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: May 15, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »

[
Sweet Moses...he did "Sail On Sailor"??  Wow...would I love to see that.   I was watching a 2007 performance from Branson, Misouri (well circulated).  Although it was pro-shot, the sound wasn't really great at all so I can't really comment on his bass playing but his lead vocals on "Cottonfields" (among others I can't recall which ones) were just so pedestrian--it was a tough watch.  It was the first time I recognized what people may have hated about the Mike/Bruce road show.  I'd be happy to revise my opinion on the dude but going by what I saw in that one performance...he can only go up in my book!

Get hold of the MP3s of one of the 2004 UK shows (Glasgow and Newcastle are circulating very widely). He did Sail On Sailor on those (though he didn't sound as good on it in 2004 as he did in 2001), and also sang stuff like You Still Believe In Me, You're So Good To Me and the low Carl part on All This Is That.

He may not have been as good on the 2007 performance (and that would have been just before he left the band, and probably after Kowalski did, so he may have been unhappy with his job at that point) but in the shows in the early 2000s he and Cowsill (and later Kirsch) were the only reason the band was worth watching (Totten had a far less prominent role in the show then, just playing rhythm guitar and singing backgrounds -- I only realised how exceptionally good he is in 2008).

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: May 15, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »

Thanks for the tip. I suppose the timing of that 2007 gig I was watching had a lot to do with it because I have the 2004 Glasgow gig and never noticed any issues with the songs in that recording.  In fact, I didn't know it was him in those 2004 recordings.  I'm unfamiliar with all the players pre-2008.  He does sound better on those.   The Branson gig may have been one where he and a few other phoned it in because the entire first row was flooded with children. Halfway through the show it looked like the Beach Boys were playing at a middle school.  The whole spectacle was actually quite disturbing to watch right after seeing them at the Beacon the week before.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: May 15, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »

gotta give mike credit for powering through some of that crap then.

That's good with me, man. I just hope Iron Horse-Apples isn't dissuaded from giving his opinion. I, for one, welcome his insights.

nobody else wants that either, which is why i apologized to iron horse if I came off that way. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:40:28 PM by Runaways » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: May 15, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »

Thanks for the tip. I suppose the timing of that 2007 gig I was watching had a lot to do with it because I have the 2004 Glasgow gig and never noticed any issues with the songs in that recording.  In fact, I didn't know it was him in those 2004 recordings.  I'm unfamiliar with all the players pre-2008.  He does sound better on those.   The Branson gig may have been one where he and a few other phoned it in because the entire first row was flooded with children. Halfway through the show it looked like the Beach Boys were playing at a middle school.  The whole spectacle was actually quite disturbing to watch right after seeing them at the Beacon the week before.

Yeah, I could see that making a difference.
The line-up for the 2004 shows was Mike, Bruce, Chris Farmer (bass and musical director), Randell Kirsch (lead guitar, falsetto vocals), Scott Totten (rhythm guitar, backing vocals), Tim Bonhomme (keyboards, backing vocals), John Cowsill (keyboards, vocals) and Mike Kowalski (drums) -- that's the same line-up that had toured since 2001 (when Cowsill and Totten replaced Phil Bardowell and Mike Meros), except that Kirsch had recently replaced Adrian Baker. Since then, Kowalski left, Cowsill moved to drums, and then Farmer left, Christian Love came in on rhythm guitar, Kirsch switched to bass and Scott Totten to lead guitar and musical director.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: May 15, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »

Thanks for the rundown...my first Mike/Bruce show in 2008 was probably just when that group had just shifted players around for the last time (and for the better).  I'm glad they finally got their stuff together!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2597 on: May 15, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »

actually, I much prefer the current lineup.. with Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, and David Marks in the band.

Since then, Kowalski left, Cowsill moved to drums, and then Farmer left, Christian Love came in on rhythm guitar, Kirsch switched to bass and Scott Totten to lead guitar and musical director.

pretty sure Chris Farmer and Christian Love had some overlap.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:31:45 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: May 15, 2012, 05:45:43 PM »

I feel so strange to be enjoying this while surrounded by Beach Boys hate.

Obviously we hate The Beach Boys, we post here!

Of course we do.  Because fandom is about obsession rather than love.  Love keeps no record of wrongs; fandom keeps an umpteen-page autotune thread.

Seriously.  Found out a funny thing over in Doctor Who fandom, when comparing fan polls with the general-audience appreciation surveys:  when asked to score episodes on a 1-to-10 scale, fans consistently scored them lower than the general audience.  Fans are more nitpicky, more intensely critical.  Just because we care more deeply doesn't mean we're actually more positive about the things we care about.

So yeah, you're more likely to find hate for the Beach Boys on a Beach Boys board than anywhere else in the world!

Which is a damn shame, because I'd love to have a place where I could be enthusiastic without someone declaring vociferously how much what I like sucks.  (This doesn't mean I'd want to ban any sign of unhappiness; I just prefer the critical stuff to be more measured rather than full-on wailing and gnashing...)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: May 15, 2012, 06:21:47 PM »

I disagree with people who say that "Spring Vacation" is very SIP... I actually think it has way more of an "Its OK" from 15 Big Ones vibe. And I LIKE that song.

Well said! I am digging Spring Vacation!!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx