gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:49:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055676 times)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: May 15, 2012, 06:32:37 AM »

Adrian Baker's voice isn't "strange," it's "terrible." If a cat was a person and also dying he is what it would sound like.

A little harsh but you're right.  He isn't in the same league as anyone else who's every filled the flsetto role for the Boys.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: May 15, 2012, 06:32:59 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Thats-Why-God-Made-Radio/dp/B007U1FEJE

clips up
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: May 15, 2012, 06:33:38 AM »

I don't get it...your list is a catalog of perfectly legitimate complaints.

His point isn't about the complaints, but the complaining, if you get my drift.  The issues may well be reasonable matters of taste, but that doesn't mean the over-the-top freak-outs about them are justified!

Think about it.  With a little bit of perspective, doesn't ranting about synth harpsichords when you've just been handed a completed version of "Smile" after nearly forty years seem a little bit silly?

This is precisely right. Jonathan makes my point better than I did. Of course you get complaining on a message board. But when you get a situation where every album is blasted -- and then many folks recant in a couple of years (which, regardless of what Anazgnos says, happens a lot) -- it gets a little exhausting. Isn't it easier to be more measured in the first place?

Goodness knows I'm not above criticism in this regard. I've been on BW/BB message boards for 15 years, and I've no doubt been guilty of every single thing that I criticize in others. I had a major reunion-based freakout here just a month or so ago. We all get passionate, and that's one of the reasons I spend time here -- people here care. And that is ultimately far more important to me than if I agree with you.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:02:51 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: May 15, 2012, 06:37:31 AM »

Wow!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: May 15, 2012, 06:41:14 AM »

sigh. i'm not gonna listen.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: May 15, 2012, 06:44:47 AM »

Thanks!

It sounds like a truly solid album!! (Spring Vacation sounds great!). I hope the mixing is a bit better for the CD as I can barely make out the lyrics in half the songs Undecided

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: May 15, 2012, 06:48:50 AM »

Oh man. Think I'm gonna stick to my guns and not check out the 30-second samples.

I don't mind listening to one or two full songs, but I don't wanna hear the SOUND of any of the other songs yet.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: May 15, 2012, 06:58:57 AM »

I'm waiting until I can hear the whole thing, too.  I made it with TSS, and I can make it with this release.  In three weeks I'll turn on my sound system, put the disc in my CD player, sit down on my couch, and listen to the whole thing in one sitting.  Start to finish...no interruptions.  I'm really looking forward to that.

Actually, my local indie CD/record store sold me the two-disc TSS on the Saturday before the official release date, so maybe I'll get lucky again.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: May 15, 2012, 07:05:57 AM »

I still don't like the overall production style, on almost all of the 30s snippets they sound as if they're singing out of a tin can and being autotuned on top of that (especially Brian). I didn't hear one natural-sounding vocal on all of the snippets. (Al still sounds the best.)
But apart from that... they seem to be good songs. And many a-Brian  to be heard.  Smiley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #2459 on: May 15, 2012, 07:08:37 AM »

I still don't like the overall production style, on almost all of the 30s snippets they sound as if they're singing out of a tin can and being autotuned on top of that (especially Brian). I didn't hear one natural-sounding vocal on all of the snippets. (Al still sounds the best.)
But apart from that... they seem to be good songs. And many a-Brian  to be heard.  Smiley

I'm so sad to say this, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get past the pitch correction. To me it's like fingers scraping down a blackboard.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: May 15, 2012, 07:10:39 AM »

True, they could've scaled the autotune back a little bit. But I don't think it's any worse than BW's vocals on Imagination. And to me, that's the best he's ever sounded in his solo career. Then again, I like that sort of thing.  Smokin
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: May 15, 2012, 07:10:47 AM »

does every song (autotune wise) sound like Spring Vacation (autuned a lot) or TWGMTR (fine autotune)?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: May 15, 2012, 07:12:39 AM »

does every song (autotune wise) sound like Spring Vacation (autuned a lot) or TWGMTR (fine autotune)?

Your mileage will vary. I personally think it (thankfully) leans to the latter, but all of it is audibly processed.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: May 15, 2012, 07:17:49 AM »

I just listened to the samples at amazon, (they are always very short, unlike itunes) so it does not spoil it IMO. From the short samples I would say it's a winner. Indeed the tracks echo different era's in the BB's history. Al's voice and the music on one clip in particular did sound like it was '65. Griping is fine with me, I do more than my share, however I'm done with it as far as this album is concerned.

Brian, Mike, Alan, Bruce and David are alive and have created some brand new tracks that sound great in 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes miracles are right in front of our faces........................
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: May 15, 2012, 07:19:45 AM »

I wasn't going to listen to the clips, but I wanted to look on Amazon to see if the vinyl release was also coming with a digital download (nothing to indicate it will, and it says the vinyl won't be available until July 3 Sad ) and I couldn't not listen with them right in my face like that.

I say up front my expectations were not high, I knew it would be slick and probably on the bland side. Listening to those 30 second clips, my expectations have been slightly exceeded. Think About The Days and Isn't It Time sound really promising, as do some of the songs toward the end of the album. Even in the short clips, the parts where you can hear the Boys singing together is wonderful. Even if the songs themselves are nothing to write home about in the end and the production isn't great, it is still really exciting to get to hear them all together.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: May 15, 2012, 07:35:05 AM »

Your mileage will vary. I personally think it (thankfully) leans to the latter, but all of it is audibly processed.

well that's good.  That's the only other clip i've heard, glad to hear that autotune isn't all over the place.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: May 15, 2012, 07:39:23 AM »

i listened to the TWGMTR clip since i've heard the song, these clips are like super low quality.  glad everyone still likes them
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: May 15, 2012, 07:41:19 AM »

Isn't it time... Love it. The slower songs in the end sound haunting, although it's hard to have a clear idea from these clips. No spoiler, really.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #2468 on: May 15, 2012, 07:46:10 AM »

well that's good.  That's the only other clip i've heard, glad to hear that autotune isn't all over the place.

It sounded very autotuned to me, sorry. Every single vocal. Some people can accept with that, I can't. After hearing those clips, I probably won't be buying this album. My loss.

But I can live with that, this band have given me so much. I'll just give Love You another spin instead.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: May 15, 2012, 07:47:57 AM »

It sounded very autotuned to me, sorry. Every single vocal. Some people can accept with that, I can't. After hearing those clips, I probably won't be buying this album. My loss.

But I can live with that, this band have given me so much. I'll just give Love You another spin instead.

._.

i don't think i could have a comment for this line of thinking, whatever
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #2470 on: May 15, 2012, 07:49:52 AM »

well that's good.  That's the only other clip i've heard, glad to hear that autotune isn't all over the place.

._.

i don't think i could have a comment for this line of thinking, whatever

Oh well, each to their own. I'm genuinely happy you like it Smiley You don't need to feel threatened because I don't.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:51:41 AM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: May 15, 2012, 07:51:06 AM »

That, or M.I.U.  3D

I'll buy the LP, just because it's the Beach Boys. I'm still positive that it's going to be a good album: the songs ain't bad, some sounding to be real good songs under all that ACR production and processing. Maybe I'll get used to it. Maybe it doesn't sound as bad as the low-fi amazon snippets on the actual album. Que sera, sera.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2472 on: May 15, 2012, 07:52:50 AM »

Say, where are the credits written? Seems I missed those.

Doesn't seem too bad an album, does it? Well, to make me enjoy TWGMTR more I think I'll listen to the Summer In Paradise album right before the new one. It's time to make it once all the way through SIP after all! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: May 15, 2012, 07:58:05 AM »

Oh well, each to their own. I'm genuinely happy you like it Smiley You don't need to feel threatened because I don't.

No, but we do need to read about it over and over right?

How long after the sound clips were posted did the first complaints come in?

I feel so strange to be enjoying this while surrounded by Beach Boys hate.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: May 15, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »

I'm so sad to say this, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get past the pitch correction. To me it's like fingers scraping down a blackboard.

I know what you mean - it's like the current trend of overt autotune has given these guys the green light to go mental with it. Brian I can accept may benefit from a bit of judicious pitch correcting but does Al really need the same treatment (track 10)? Autotune is being used here stylistically rather than as a subtle enhancement to the odd bum note and for a band famed for their beautiful harmonies this strikes me as a gross misjudgement, plus it will date the album faster than if they'd all decided to black up for the cover shoot. This reminds me of when someone discovers the filters in Photoshop and just goes ballistic with them resulting in a smeary, digital, soulless mess.

Anyway, rant over. The use of autotune is unforgiveable, but hopefully some of that BW songwriting magic will still manage to shine through. Difficult to tell from the samples.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx