gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:59:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055704 times)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: May 14, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »

Anyone else curious about the so-called "eclectic" mix of greatest hits on the QVC bonus disc?  I'm wondering if it will be the same disc as the Zinepak.

Sorry if this has been posted already, but here is the track listing for the QVC bonus CD; there is some overlap with the ZinePak CD.  (Don't know if "Do It Again" is the 2012 version, but I'm guessing it is).  And the website says the ship date is June 5; the earliest delivery date given to my address in Texas is June 6.  So apparently no early delivery of the new album.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.F09766.desc.Shp65-The-Beach-Boys-Thats-Why-God-Made-the-Radio-CD

50 Years Of Hits (Bonus CD)

"Catch a Wave"
    "Surfin' Safari"
    "409"
    "God Only Knows"
    "California Girls"
    "Heroes and Villains"
    "Surfer Girl"
    "Wouldn't It Be Nice"
    "Little Honda"
    "Dance, Dance, Dance"
    "Do It Again"

Thanks for the info. Without complaining too much, not much of an incentive for domestic customers to purchase if one already grabbed the Zine -- assuming that DIA is indeed the 2012 version. I'm wondering if the band struck deals with any of the other major retailers for any type of bonus (track or otherwise) versions?

Still looking forward to the TV performance though. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:31:50 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: May 14, 2012, 11:32:19 PM »

for some reason "spring" reminds me of Jan and dean...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2427 on: May 14, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »

Anyone else curious about the so-called "eclectic" mix of greatest hits on the QVC bonus disc?  I'm wondering if it will be the same disc as the Zinepak.

Sorry if this has been posted already, but here is the track listing for the QVC bonus CD; there is some overlap with the ZinePak CD.  (Don't know if "Do It Again" is the 2012 version, but I'm guessing it is).  And the website says the ship date is June 5; the earliest delivery date given to my address in Texas is June 6.  So apparently no early delivery of the new album.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.F09766.desc.Shp65-The-Beach-Boys-Thats-Why-God-Made-the-Radio-CD

"Catch a Wave"
    "Surfin' Safari"
    "409"
    "God Only Knows"
    "California Girls"
    "Heroes and Villains"
    "Surfer Girl"
    "Wouldn't It Be Nice"
    "Little Honda"
    "Dance, Dance, Dance"
    "Do It Again"

Somewhat bizarre selection there.  Undecided

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: May 15, 2012, 12:05:41 AM »

Anyone else curious about the so-called "eclectic" mix of greatest hits on the QVC bonus disc?  I'm wondering if it will be the same disc as the Zinepak.

Sorry if this has been posted already, but here is the track listing for the QVC bonus CD; there is some overlap with the ZinePak CD.  (Don't know if "Do It Again" is the 2012 version, but I'm guessing it is).  And the website says the ship date is June 5; the earliest delivery date given to my address in Texas is June 6.  So apparently no early delivery of the new album.

"Catch a Wave"
    "Surfin' Safari"
    "409"
    "God Only Knows"
    "California Girls"
    "Heroes and Villains"
    "Surfer Girl"
    "Wouldn't It Be Nice"
    "Little Honda"
    "Dance, Dance, Dance"
    "Do It Again"

Somewhat bizarre selection there.  Undecided

My thoughts exactly.  It includes none of their number one singles, and very few of their biggest "signature" songs , like "Sufin' USA", "Barbara Ann", or "Fun, Fun, Fun".  Strange indeed.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: May 15, 2012, 12:07:39 AM »

Not their "greatest" hits, but the ones being played at the current shows.... I think that might explain that.

No mas, por favor.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: May 15, 2012, 12:14:38 AM »

The audio player's not working for me anymore... Is it down for anyone else? I only got to listen once.  Sad

EDIT: Nevermind, worked in Firefox!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:23:32 AM by NatureShowInStereo » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: May 15, 2012, 12:52:57 AM »

When the album was announced I was hoping for a cross between TLOS and Imagination with M.I.U.-like quality of songwriting. After listening to these three new ones, however, I have a feeling we're in for a cross between Imagination and Summer in Paradise instead. Really enjoyed "Think About the Days", mind you, but "Spring Vacation" strikes me as incredibly bland even in a post-Light Album context. "TWGMTR" I think is pleasant but nothing to write home about really. Still looking forward to hearing the "deeper" Brian cuts on the album. Too bad they didn't include at least one song by David Marks.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: May 15, 2012, 01:16:26 AM »

I don't get it...your list is a catalog of perfectly legitimate complaints.

His point isn't about the complaints, but the complaining, if you get my drift.  The issues may well be reasonable matters of taste, but that doesn't mean the over-the-top freak-outs about them are justified!

Think about it.  With a little bit of perspective, doesn't ranting about synth harpsichords when you've just been handed a completed version of "Smile" after nearly forty years seem a little bit silly?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2433 on: May 15, 2012, 01:19:16 AM »

don't go to a message board if you don't want to read people complaining.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: May 15, 2012, 01:30:24 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/article/that-s-why-god-made-the-radio

Don´t know if this has been up already but.. Smiley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: May 15, 2012, 01:32:32 AM »

Be honest.

When you think of the guys working on the new album, who do you picture behind the knobs?

Is it...

This guy?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:34:38 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: May 15, 2012, 01:35:05 AM »

No, it's this guy:

No mas, por favor.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: May 15, 2012, 01:36:35 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/article/that-s-why-god-made-the-radio

Don´t know if this has been up already but.. Smiley

I'm puzzled as to why Jeff's voice is a "welcome presence", but Christian Love (who has Beach Boys blood in him) and Adrian Baker are thought of as strange. Well, I can see why someone would find Adrian Baker's voice strange, but why is it "strange" for them to be on this album?

Also, am I the only one who's pretty sure I hear Christian on "Spring Vacation", too?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: May 15, 2012, 01:37:52 AM »

Adrian Baker's voice isn't "strange," it's "terrible." If a cat was a person and also dying he is what it would sound like.

No mas, por favor.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2439 on: May 15, 2012, 01:38:29 AM »

I think the review was just saying that because they're only on that one track it's weird.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: May 15, 2012, 01:38:42 AM »

This is slightly off topic but I was just watching this video and It really made me feel even more happy about this new album and having the beach boys back on tour..

Their music means so much to people young and old. Best band of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVmhw7X7kzs
This is great...  Smiley

"I know, Brian's with them."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: May 15, 2012, 01:40:18 AM »

Adrian Baker's voice isn't "strange," it's "terrible." If a cat was a person and also dying he is what it would sound like.

Only if the cat was also attempting, and failing, to do an American accent when it came from Essex.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: May 15, 2012, 02:15:10 AM »

People just want to have something to complain about. Because this wouldn't be a fan board if people here didn't hate Brian and the rest of the band with the white-hot hatred that only true fans can feel.

Some 14 years ago, everyone freaked out about the pitch correction on "Imagination."

When BWPS came out, people complained about the synthesized keyboard sound and that Brian was doubled too many times and tuned.

When TLOS came out, people said it was too slick. They preferred the demos. There were too many lyrics from Scott.

When the Gershwin album came out, people vociferously criticized the autotune on "The Like in I Love You."

Several posters complained about ITKOD sounding "like Imagination." Too slick.

And on every single one of these releases, and more, posters have complained about it "not sounding like Brian," that the songs were written by other people, etc., etc., etc.

I don't get it...your list is a catalog of perfectly legitimate complaints.   It's not as though everyone subsequently recanted and now agrees that every single one of those releases is flawless.   The fact that criticisms invariably arise does not mean that those criticisms are all uniform, or all invalid...the things you listed are actually true of those albums.  And if those things are true, it seems like this would be the place to talk about them.

Hear hear! Please let's not have a culture of 'like it or shut up' on this board, especially when spear-headed by Wirestone of recent uber-negative thread frame (sorry Wirestone - I enjoy many of your posts but you're being a little hypocritical here, don't you think?)

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: May 15, 2012, 02:21:04 AM »

I think the review was just saying that because they're only on that one track it's weird.

Ah, gotcher. I guess that is kind of strange.

Also, I must have missed the part where you folks talked about Jon Bon Jovi having a writing credit on the album? I can't imagine how that went down or came about.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: May 15, 2012, 03:43:49 AM »

"Easy money
Ain't life funny
Hey what's it to you,
Hallelujah"

this is actually one of the most amazingly terrible lyrics in the history of music.

As someone who criticised the lyrics to TWGMTR and SV, I actually like the above lines. It's great pop music lyrics. Smiley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2445 on: May 15, 2012, 03:51:50 AM »

I like them but I also think they're really dumb, if that makes any sense.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: May 15, 2012, 03:53:16 AM »

I like them but I also think they're really dumb, if that makes any sense.

That's pretty much the entire history of post-war pop music! A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2447 on: May 15, 2012, 04:15:03 AM »

I've only heard 3 songs of the new album, and now I'm seeing a pattern, something like the 'Joe Thomas production method', it borrows sounds and styles from various popular artists:

during the recording of one song on Stars And Stripes, he asked the Boys to sing like Sade (!)

the random nylon guitar strings on various tunes of Imagination: like Sting, f.e. Fragile (also on Everything I need)

on Happy Days Are Here Again: the keyboard sounds like Supertramp

That's Why God Made The Radio - that one guitar note before the bridge: like Toto - Hold The Line

the opening track of the new album, Think About The Days: sounds like Enya

Spring Vacation: guitar sounds like f.e. Robert Cray Band

- just an observation -
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: May 15, 2012, 04:47:45 AM »

Every night a special occasion
Huh? Don't take much persuasion

For the first couple of listens I didn't care, but now I'm really wondering what's going on. Did they block out the 2nd line of the bridge for the promo version? I'm interested in hearing what other people think.

Btw, I think both of the songs sound GREAT. I don't mind some controlled autotune on a pop record. At least you don't hear it glitching all over the place.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:50:18 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: May 15, 2012, 05:12:08 AM »

"Catch a Wave"
    "Surfin' Safari"
    "409"
    "God Only Knows"
    "California Girls"
    "Heroes and Villains"
    "Surfer Girl"
    "Wouldn't It Be Nice"
    "Little Honda"
    "Dance, Dance, Dance"
    "Do It Again"