gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:17:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1062478 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: May 14, 2012, 03:19:28 PM »

"Think About The Days" seems to be an adequate album opener, yes.

"Spring Vacation", I think, is pretty bad. The tune itself might be okay-ish, despite the dumb lyrics and general boringness of the melody, but the production sinks it. Sounds like a generic production of some soulless 90s summer dance group: flat, sterile, witlessly overproduced. Their voices sound unnatural. I will never get that kind of production decision.. the Boys still got fine enough voices, you could do all kinds of authentic and exciting stuff with them. "Spring Vacation" is utterly unexciting. Best case scenario: it grows to become a guilty pleasure song like "Kokomo" or "Smart Girls". (Actually, "Kokomo" is a far better song.)

Smart Girls?  Really, Smart Girls?!?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: May 14, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »

My ratings so far (The ratings may see high but  I wasn't expecting Pet Sounds or Sunflower, the bar was very low)

Think About The Days - 9

Spring Vacation - 7

That's Why God Made the Radio - 8
Out of 10? What would be a 10..?

Quote from: southbay
Smart Girls?  Really, Smart Girls?!?
"Guilty pleasure", that' what I said.  Wink Or maybe exchange that for anything on "Summer in Paradise". Yeah, "Spring Vacation" could easily have been on "Summer in Paradise".

I'm still stoked (and optimistic) about the album, just for the record.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:23:37 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: May 14, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »

"Think About The Days" seems to be an adequate album opener, yes.

"Spring Vacation", I think, is pretty bad. The tune itself might be okay-ish, despite the dumb lyrics and general boringness of the melody, but the production sinks it. Sounds like a generic production of some soulless 90s summer dance group: flat, sterile, witlessly overproduced. Their voices sound unnatural. I will never get that kind of production decision.. the Boys still got fine enough voices, you could do all kinds of authentic and exciting stuff with them. "Spring Vacation" is utterly unexciting. Best case scenario: it grows to become a guilty pleasure song like "Kokomo" or "Smart Girls". (Actually, "Kokomo" is a far better song.)
After playing it a number of times, the background vocals sound more natural than they do on TWGMTR. The chorus is very catchy. I've been singing it all afternoon. Love how Brian is into the organ lately. It's 3 for 3 for me. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: May 14, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »

Think about the days is great. That will be a beautiful intro to the album.

My god that autotuned hallelujah from Brian is hilarious. Christ I hope they're more sparing with it on the other tracks. SV is pretty bad but has a certain charm lacking in some of the weaker tracks from tlos (eg. Mexican girl). Please let it be one of the worse tracks though.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: May 14, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »

Think About the Days is pretty dang incredible.

Spring Vacation is fun... not as bad as I thought it's going to be.  The auto-tune doesn't bother me.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: May 14, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »

Spring Vacation felt like a record I could play by the pool this summer with my friends and it would just fit right in. I felt that right away, especially during that solo.

So, to me, that makes the song great. I dig it, no where near as bad as I projected it would be.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: May 14, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »

My god that autotuned hallelujah from Brian is hilarious. Christ I hope they're more sparing with it on the other tracks. SV is pretty bad but has a certain charm lacking in some of the weaker tracks from tlos (eg. Mexican girl). Please let it be one of the worse tracks though.
I've enjoyed "Mexican Girl" since the 1st time I heard it - it's silly, but openly so. It's real catchy and has good overall production: it's clear and features a natural lead vocal by Brian and good, clear and full-frontal back-up vocals in the mix. I think it's a better song than "Spring Break", maybe not by a mile, but even so.

P.S. I must say I generally dug the production and sound on TLOS, and I was a bit disappointed when it became clear that the new BBs album wouldn't sound like TLOS.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 14, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »

I couldn't put my finger on what TATD reminded me of but it just clicked - Cry from Imagination!

So are the songs with a Joe Thomas co-write, ones that were written shortly after Imagination, and not newly written ones? TATD certainly doesn't sound like a new Brian song to me.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 14, 2012, 03:48:29 PM »

I knew something had to be up when the page count on the thread jumped so much since yesterday...

Anyways, "Think About the Days" really knocked me out.  Amazing harmonies, the whole thing just sets the mood perfectly.  Even without lyrics, the melancholy feeling was fantastic.

"Spring Vacation" was pretty abysmal, but then again I wasn't expecting much.  As great as the vocals are (Brian and Mike both sound fantastic), it's just another retread of the lazy songwriting that has plagued the band's studio output over the last 30 years.  

All in all though, the three tracks we've heard have got me itching to get that CD in my hands even more than I was before.  All the Joe Thomas writing credits in the world can't scare me at this point!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 14, 2012, 03:49:45 PM »

I have to admit I am a bit disappointed that we aren't getting songs written by a post BWPS/TLS Brian Wilson.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: May 14, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »

I've enjoyed "Mexican Girl" since the 1st time I heard it - it's silly, but openly so. It's real catchy and has good overall production: it's clear and features a natural lead vocal by Brian and good, clear and full-frontal back-up vocals in the mix. I think it's a better song than "Spring Break", maybe not by a mile, but even so.

P.S. I must say I generally dug the production and sound on TLOS, and I was a bit disappointed when it became clear that the new BBs album wouldn't sound like TLOS.

I also liked the overall production of TLOS and loved about half the songs. Some, such as Mexican Girl, I just found melodically a bit flat.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: May 14, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »

My view.

Think About the Days - 8 (a very pleasant short wordless hymn. I expect it will be one of the better tracks after hearing it followed by the horrific 'Spring Vacation')

Spring Vacation - 3
(dreadful, pointless, bad production, bad lyrics with disgusting references to old classics - just worse than 'Brian's Back' because unlike that song this one isn't catchy, it isn't deep, there is no redeeming vocal part by Carl. I almost vomited when I heard this because I was expecting another TWGMTR.  My bad I guess. Also the title reminds me of a very bad shark film which shares the title. It starts promising then dies horribly.)

That's Why God Made The Radio - 8
(this is a very good song. It is not cheesy enough to call it a cheese slice and although the production is NOT very Brian Wilson nor PS or Sunflower in any regards it is well done.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:56:02 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: May 14, 2012, 03:53:32 PM »

I also liked the overall production of TLOS and loved about half the songs. Some, such as Mexican Girl, I just found melodically a bit flat.
Love the ending of Mexican Girl, very Pet Sounds (the track).

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: May 14, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »

My view.

Think About the Days - 6 (a very pleasant short wordless hymn. I expect it will be one of the better tracks after hearing it followed by the horrific 'Spring Vacation'

Spring Vacation - 3
(dreadful, pointless, bad production, bad lyrics with disgusting references to old classics - just worse than 'Brian's Back' because unlike that song this one isn't catchy, it isn't deep, there is no redeeming vocal part by Carl. I almost vomited when I heard this because I was expecting another TWGMTR. Also the title reminds me of a very bad shark film which shares the title. My bad I guess.)  Cry

That's Why God Made The Radio - 8
(this is a very good song. It is not cheesy enough to call it a cheese slice and although the production is NOT very Brian Wilson nor PS or Sunflower in any regards it is well done.)
I don't get you on Spring Vacation. We spend the last 6 months or more discussing the reunion, yet the main players of that reunion can't sing about it? Maybe because I am older that kind of song is more appealing to me.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: May 14, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »

So are the songs with a Joe Thomas co-write, ones that were written shortly after Imagination, and not newly written ones? TATD certainly doesn't sound like a new Brian song to me.

I believe that it is, actually. Do some reading over at the Record Room -- there's an interview with Brian there. Joe and Brian were writing and recording throughout last year.

I have to admit I am a bit disappointed that we aren't getting songs written by a post BWPS/TLS Brian Wilson.

We are. We're getting at least three, and possibly more.

People are very quick to jump to conclusions. Yes, some of the material comes from Brian's work with Joe back in 98. But not all. There are newly written songs.

What's more, there's no reason to think that many of these songs aren't newly completed or revised. Ask yourself why they didn't appear on anything Brian has done over the last 14 years -- could it have been because they were just fragments or bits of demos?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2365 on: May 14, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »

I think "Shelter" and "The Private Life of Bill and Sue" are more recent.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 14, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »

What's more, there's no reason to think that many of these songs aren't newly completed or revised. Ask yourself why they didn't appear on anything Brian has done over the last 14 years -- could it have been because they were just fragments or bits of demos?

It could likely have been because of Joe Thomas's exile from the BW scene and the fact that the songs could not have been used until this point.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 14, 2012, 04:03:05 PM »

Thanks Aegir and Wirestone. That's good to know.
pets0unds
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 14, 2012, 04:10:17 PM »

Chorus to Summer Vacation sounds like the verse of Elton John - Tiny Dancer.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: May 14, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »

The first song is OK, but I really don't like the production on these tracks at all. It's just way too slick... like we're hearing from cartoon versions of the Beach Boys rather than the real people. I'll certainly buy the album and give it a fair listen, but this sounds to me like it will date the same way Beach Boys 85 did.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: May 14, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »

It could likely have been because of Joe Thomas's exile from the BW scene and the fact that the songs could not have been used until this point.

I'm not sure it works that way, actually. Gettin' in Over My Head featured "How Could We Still Be Dancin," which was a post-Imagination co-write by Brian and Joe. And the version of the title track on that record is a Joe Thomas co-production featuring his studio musicians.

In other words, BriMel seems to have had access to both Joe and Brian's unreleased compositions and unreleased studio work. Doesn't sound -- to me -- like a situation in which Joe was holding anything hostage.

I suspect a likelier scenario is that the group was looking for someone to coordinate the reunion tour and associated products, and that Joe (whose main expertise these days is staging concerts for TV) came up as a good candidate to direct the special / DVD. And then that led to new studio work between Joe and Brian, and then a new BBs album. Just my guess.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:38:50 PM by Wirestone » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: May 14, 2012, 04:25:33 PM »

Spring Vacation is fun... not as bad as I thought it's going to be.  The auto-tune doesn't bother me.

Agree! I enjoyed "Spring Vacation", ignored the lyrics.  If that's the worst, we are in for a pretty good album.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: May 14, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »

Spring Vacation is fun... not as bad as I thought it's going to be.  The auto-tune doesn't bother me.

Agree! I enjoyed "Spring Vacation", ignored the lyrics.  If that's the worst, we are in for a pretty good album.

Same mindset here, we have 2 really really good tracks and one okay track, majority rules.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: May 14, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »

The first song is OK, but I really don't like the production on these tracks at all. It's just way too slick... like we're hearing from cartoon versions of the Beach Boys rather than the real people. I'll certainly buy the album and give it a fair listen, but this sounds to me like it will date the same way Beach Boys 85 did.

Well, really, what was expected?  The guys singing around a campfire recorded on an 8-track? Some people really set themselves up for disapointment, I guess.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: May 14, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »

Well, really, what was expected?  The guys singing around a campfire recorded on an 8-track? Some people really set themselves up for disapointment, I guess.

Thank you. There is no way you're going to get an album produced by a 23-year-old Brian Wilson. We already have one of those anyway. You're going to get an album with a co-writer and a co-producer, and with autotune and slick production. And you know what? It's all right.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx