gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681337 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 07:46:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1072159 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: May 13, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »

I guess I just don't get it, but I don't understand all the love for "Midnight's Another Day" or TLOS as a whole. Especially "Midnight's..."

Because the album and that song in particular are very well done. And the song affects a lot of folks on a very deep level -- including Brian.

...To be fair, the other boys have said the record label got to choose which songs would make the album.

I think this should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt. Over at the Record Room, a poster who interviewed Mike, Bruce and Brian has said the other guys actually know very little about the album or its creation, besides adding their voices.

I suspect that all of the Brian Wilson-written songs available were used, and I suspect that was part of the deal made between Brian's team and Mike to make this whole situation happen. Brian gets to run the record, and Mike gets to run the tour. Everyone's happy.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:41:42 PM by Wirestone » Logged
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: May 13, 2012, 09:57:49 PM »

I guess I just don't get it, but I don't understand all the love for "Midnight's Another Day" or TLOS as a whole. Especially "Midnight's..."

I also don't get it. I can't even listen to MAD, i find it insipid and unbearably corny. I think it's an ugly melody and chord progression, and leaves a lot to be desired. The whole arrangement bores me, and the backing vocals sound so cheap. Though i do like the short section with glockenspiel and sleigh bells, i think that's pretty. But not enough to listen to the whole song.  Sad

I wonder if the people who are drawing comparisons to MAD are referring more to a general tone rather than anything concretely musical?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: May 13, 2012, 10:09:45 PM »

MAD is the best brian tune since the 70s easy.  It's the one song on TLOS that you can tell Brian pushed him on.  That song and live let die are by far the highlights.  calling it "insipid" and "corny", is laughable to me, especially with all the music that's come out that IS like that (see every other brian wilson solo album. especially imagination *groan*)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: May 13, 2012, 10:16:28 PM »

MAD is the best brian tune since the 70s easy.  It's the one song on TLOS that you can tell Brian pushed him on.  That song and live let die are by far the highlights.  calling it "insipid" and "corny", is laughable to me, especially with all the music that's come out that IS like that (see every other brian wilson solo album. especially imagination *groan*)
I sometimes wonder why the beautiful and poignant "Southern California" off the same album doesn't receive as much praise as the aforementioned "MAD".

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: May 13, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »

Do you think MAD is better than Melt Away?

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: May 13, 2012, 10:35:52 PM »

MAD is the best brian tune since the 70s easy.  It's the one song on TLOS that you can tell Brian pushed him on.  That song and live let die are by far the highlights.  calling it "insipid" and "corny", is laughable to me, especially with all the music that's come out that IS like that (see every other brian wilson solo album. especially imagination *groan*)
I sometimes wonder why the beautiful and poignant "Southern California" off the same album doesn't receive as much praise as the aforementioned "MAD".

"Southern California" is too much of a "Love and Mercy" rewrite for me.

MAD is the best brian tune since the 70s easy.  It's the one song on TLOS that you can tell Brian pushed him on.  That song and live let die are by far the highlights.  calling it "insipid" and "corny", is laughable to me, especially with all the music that's come out that IS like that (see every other brian wilson solo album. especially imagination *groan*)

I've always found Melt Away insipid and unbearably corny. I think it's an ugly melody and chord progression, and leaves a lot to be desired. The whole arrangement bores me, and the backing vocals sound so cheap. Though i do like the tag section, i think that's pretty. But not enough to listen to the whole song.  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:40:44 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: May 13, 2012, 10:55:07 PM »

ooooo that's a tough one.  You've picked the one tune from the other solos I really like  Grin. *chomps crow* but, i think MAD is more genuine if that makes sense.  Well I guess it won't since we're on opposite ends of the song.  I prefer the melody and structure of MAD, and there's a lot of production aspects that hold Melt Away back for me.  If the Brian of today rearranged it (and re-recorded vocals), I may have a different answer, but I doubt it. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:57:34 PM by Runaways » Logged
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: May 13, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »

ooooo that's a tough one.  You've picked the one tune from the other solos I really like  Grin. *chomps crow* but, i think MAD is more genuine if that makes sense.  Well I guess it won't since we're on opposite ends of the song.  I prefer the melody and structure of MAD, and there's a lot of production aspects that hold Melt Away back for me.  If the Brian of today rearranged it (and re-recorded vocals), I may have a different answer, but I doubt it. 

So how do you feel about the version of Melt Away on IJWMFTT? See, that one does nothing for me.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: May 13, 2012, 11:13:04 PM »

I also don't get it. I can't even listen to MAD, i find it insipid and unbearably corny. I think it's an ugly melody and chord progression, and leaves a lot to be desired. The whole arrangement bores me, and the backing vocals sound so cheap. Though i do like the short section with glockenspiel and sleigh bells, i think that's pretty. But not enough to listen to the whole song.  Sad

I wonder if the people who are drawing comparisons to MAD are referring more to a general tone rather than anything concretely musical?

I quite like MAD musically; lyrically though it wore off early - too many, far too many metaphors... I mean, are you a flag without a wind that took a dive but couldn't swim (a swimming flag?) but with a diamond for a soul? Hmm...

“We live in divisive times.”
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2159 on: May 14, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »

I'm also in the camp that thinks Midnight's Another Day is extremely overrated. the version of Live Let Live on the Arctic Tale soundtrack is probably Brian's best recent song. the TLOS version just plods slowly though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: May 14, 2012, 01:42:38 AM »

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #2161 on: May 14, 2012, 01:44:11 AM »

Goodbye Beach Boys, Hello Rent Boys
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: May 14, 2012, 03:12:44 AM »

I quite like MAD musically; lyrically though it wore off early - too many, far too many metaphors... I mean, are you a flag without a wind that took a dive but couldn't swim (a swimming flag?) but with a diamond for a soul? Hmm...

Yeah the lyrics are pretty terrible but this is true of so many of my favourite BB/BW tunes that I can easily excuse them.

The melody though and the way it soars on the chorus is uplifting in the way that only a BW classic can be. I don't care for much of TLOS, but this song in particular (and Message Man) proved to me that he still had a lot of the skills in tact.

I'm really excited to see the best song from this upcoming album compared to MAD, but with BB vocals, and that AGD is claiming the album to be the best since Holland. I don't believe for a minute that I'll agree, but it has certainly raised my expectations!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: May 14, 2012, 03:49:30 AM »

Song writing wise, MAD is the best BW song since "Melt Away" and with no doubt is the most effort he's put into a song in a LONG time.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: May 14, 2012, 03:51:45 AM »

"Less desolation, more resignation. And a poppy tag. :-)"

Oh Andrew... He's watching you all complain about MAD Wink

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: May 14, 2012, 03:58:13 AM »

Because the album and that song in particular are very well done. And the song affects a lot of folks on a very deep level -- including Brian.

...To be fair, the other boys have said the record label got to choose which songs would make the album.

I think this should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt. Over at the Record Room, a poster who interviewed Mike, Bruce and Brian has said the other guys actually know very little about the album or its creation, besides adding their voices.

I suspect that all of the Brian Wilson-written songs available were used, and I suspect that was part of the deal made between Brian's team and Mike to make this whole situation happen. Brian gets to run the record, and Mike gets to run the tour. Everyone's happy.

I find it odd that the guys would go around letting people see they don't know much about the songs. Not even Mike has plugged Daybreak so far. Dontcha think they know they have just finished a great one? My guess is that they will hype this album like crazy in due time.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: May 14, 2012, 06:19:17 AM »

Yeah, I think most of you guys nailed it. It's really the lyrics that bother me. To me, its a second-rate "'Til I Die" lyrically. Scott's lyrics on TLOS generally just suck. Musically, maybe I should re-listen.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: May 14, 2012, 06:54:14 AM »

I think think the lyrics on TLOS are far and away the best of Brian's solo career.  There's some dud's on it, but nothing on it was distractingly bad (well maybe mexican girl) like on a lot of Brian's music.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: May 14, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »

Mr. Carlin chimed in

Peter Ames Carlin ‏ @peteramescarlin
Still thinking about that new Beach Boys album. It's really a fascinating work, in a lot of ways. Unexpected. To me. More soon.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: May 14, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »

I think think the lyrics on TLOS are far and away the best of Brian's solo career.  There's some dud's on it, but nothing on it was distractingly bad (well maybe mexican girl) like on a lot of Brian's music.

I know it's not the right thread, but (imo) too many people dislike Mexican Girl. I love everything about that track!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2170 on: May 14, 2012, 07:23:26 AM »

"Less desolation, more resignation. And a poppy tag. :-)"

Oh Andrew... He's watching you all complain about MAD Wink

Not complaining - to these ears "MAD" is one of the best things Brian's done since "Sail On, Sailor", but it's very dark and desolate. "From There To Back Again" is more reflective, mellow, wistful and resigned. And yes, it is up there with "MAD". Well, I think so, anyway.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2171 on: May 14, 2012, 07:27:11 AM »

Chance to hear a couple of previews:

http://avro.nl/audioplayer/?p=schiffersfm&d=2012/05/13&h=1

In the 13-5-2012 box click on "11.00 - 12.00" and they're after about 5.30
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:37:33 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: May 14, 2012, 07:33:42 AM »

Holy sh*t!

From There To Back Again Think About The Days kicks ass.

I think I like Spring Vacation. This is a pleasant surprise. Terrible lyrics in places, mind.

Are there any more?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:19:45 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: May 14, 2012, 07:34:10 AM »

heard 2 seconds and decided to wait. GAAAH.   thanks though Sir AGD.  so everyone else start talking about it so i can read lol
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2174 on: May 14, 2012, 07:39:16 AM »

Holy sh*t!

From There To Back Again kicks ass.

I think I like Spring Vacation. This is a pleasant surprise. Terrible lyrics in places, mind.

Are there any more?

Eloquently stated, sir. Er... except the first one is "Think About The Days".

And yes, there are 10 more. On the album.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:40:22 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx