gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681099 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 02:16:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1067886 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 30, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »

More seriously, am glad they appear to be featuring Carl on lead vocals on at least one track, hope the song is a good one too.

Not sure where you got this info. Waves of Love (which had some Carl vox recorded in the 90s) has been mentioned offhand as a possible track, but if the just-released version from Al is anything to go by, Carl isn't singing lead.

From what I've heard, Carl is on the lead for some portin of the song, I believe one article mentioned it was a bridge of the song. The Amazon clip doesn't have this section, but I think Carl does some lead lines on it, not just backing vocals.

According to the Waves of Love thread, this is not the case. Carl does not seem to sing any lead lines on the song.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1026 on: March 30, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »

More seriously, am glad they appear to be featuring Carl on lead vocals on at least one track, hope the song is a good one too.

Not sure where you got this info. Waves of Love (which had some Carl vox recorded in the 90s) has been mentioned offhand as a possible track, but if the just-released version from Al is anything to go by, Carl isn't singing lead.

From what I've heard, Carl is on the lead for some portin of the song, I believe one article mentioned it was a bridge of the song. The Amazon clip doesn't have this section, but I think Carl does some lead lines on it, not just backing vocals.

According to the Waves of Love thread, this is not the case. Carl does not seem to sing any lead lines on the song.

That's what it's looking like based on that the description in that thread. Of course, prior to that person hearing it, I don't think anybody knew if Carl was singing lead on it. I suppose if we look back, maybe nobody ever said Carl was singing lead, but simply that he sang on it. I somehow, rather justifiably or not, had the impression for the last couple of years that Carl did at least a bit of the lead.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:09:05 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 30, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »

That's what it's looking like based on that the description in that thread. Of course, prior to that person hearing it, I don't think anybody knew if Carl was singing lead on it. I suppose if we look back, maybe nobody ever said Carl was singing lead, but simply that he sang on it. I somehow, rather justifiably or not, had the impression for the last couple of years that Carl did at least a bit of the lead.

I actually thought you were probably right ... I had just never seen it confirmed one way or the other. It would be odd to have Al talk about Carl being a song if he's buried in the harmony stack, no? And yet that seems what the strange Mr. Jardine has done ...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 30, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »

Heads up from BW.com.

New Rolling Stone magazine article about upcoming new Beach Boys album

(posted by Tom Tobben on March 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm)

The new April 12 issue of Rolling Stone has a capsule article about the upcoming Beach Boys album, due for release in June. I couldn't find a link to the article, so here it is the full text of the article:

Spring Music Preview section of RS Issue #1154

The Beach Boys
Title TBD -- June

"It's a sentimental thing for me," Brian Wilson says of the Beach Boys' first all-new studio LP in decades. "We've been together 50 years -- that's a long time." Since reuniting last year, the surviving members have recorded more than a dozen new tunes at L.A.'s Ocean Way studios -- where they cut "Good Vibrations" and much of Pet Sounds in the Sixties. Expect lots of big harmonies and familiar subjects on songs like the mellow rocker "Beaches in Mind" and the nonstalgic ballad "That's Why God Made the Radio."

"Conceptually, the album is not going to be anything outlandish or silly like Smiley Smile -- it will be like the Beach Boys circa '65," adds Mike Love. "I'm trying to write lyrics that fit the music without making it sound like you're writing from a hospice."

-- Patrick Doyle

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 30, 2012, 08:53:14 PM »

well now we know TWGMTR is a ballad!!  WEEEEE. and mellow rocker?  what's a mellow rocker lol.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 30, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »

the surviving members have recorded more than a dozen new tunes at L.A.'s Ocean Way studios -- where they cut "Good Vibrations" and much of Pet Sounds in the Sixties.

As I've written before, this is not true. Rolling Stone should know better. The current Ocean Way studios in LA is the former United Studios. Brian recorded Pet Sounds at Western Studios, which was sold off in the 90s and briefly renamed Cello Studios before being purchased again and renamed EastWest Studios.

Both studios were originally owned by Bill Putnam and known collectively as United Western, which is the source of all this confusion. But they are in fact two different buildings.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1031 on: March 31, 2012, 03:08:11 AM »

WEEEEE. and mellow rocker?  what's a mellow rocker lol.

Do It Again is a mellow rocker. I heard/read Brian describing it as such. "Beaches in mind" might be a DIA part 2. Even the title sounds like that imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 31, 2012, 05:51:55 AM »

I rather like the 'hospice' remark...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1033 on: March 31, 2012, 11:46:14 AM »

the surviving members have recorded more than a dozen new tunes at L.A.'s Ocean Way studios -- where they cut "Good Vibrations" and much of Pet Sounds in the Sixties.

As I've written before, this is not true. Rolling Stone should know better. The current Ocean Way studios in LA is the former United Studios. Brian recorded Pet Sounds at Western Studios, which was sold off in the 90s and briefly renamed Cello Studios before being purchased again and renamed EastWest Studios.

Both studios were originally owned by Bill Putnam and known collectively as United Western, which is the source of all this confusion. But they are in fact two different buildings.

Yeah, that bugs me too.  At least Brian did use United Studio A a few times in the '60s..."The Surfer Moon" track, the late '65 orchestral session ("Three Blind Mice", "How Deep Is The Ocean", "Stella By Starlight"), one SMiLE-era session (for "Vegetables"/"With Me Tonight"), and the late '68 Honeys session ("Goodnight My Love" and "Tonight You Belong To Me").  Then in the 2000s he used Studio B there for "Desert Drive", and I'm not sure which studio but he did record his 2005 Christmas album and I think both Disney albums at Ocean Way.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 31, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »

Yeah, that bugs me too.  At least Brian did use United Studio A a few times in the '60s..."The Surfer Moon" track, the late '65 orchestral session ("Three Blind Mice", "How Deep Is The Ocean", "Stella By Starlight"), one SMiLE-era session (for "Vegetables"/"With Me Tonight"), and the late '68 Honeys session ("Goodnight My Love" and "Tonight You Belong To Me").  Then in the 2000s he used Studio B there for "Desert Drive", and I'm not sure which studio but he did record his 2005 Christmas album and I think both Disney albums at Ocean Way.

Thanks for the specifics. I figured he must have recorded at United at some point in the 60s, but it certainly wasn't for the legendary sessions. (And a lot of his recent studio work has been there, too, as you point out.)

It's my understanding that the two buildings -- United and Western -- are basically identical in terms of the studios within. Is that right?
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1035 on: March 31, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »

I knew Joe Thomas would ruin this record. I'm probably speaking a little too soon but it's not looking good..

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: March 31, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »

sorry, wrong thread
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:00:30 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1037 on: March 31, 2012, 02:01:58 PM »

Thanks for the specifics. I figured he must have recorded at United at some point in the 60s, but it certainly wasn't for the legendary sessions. (And a lot of his recent studio work has been there, too, as you point out.)

It's my understanding that the two buildings -- United and Western -- are basically identical in terms of the studios within. Is that right?

No - the studios at United were much bigger, as the big bands tended to record there. Sinatra recorded at United. Western was the rock department, so to speak.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: March 31, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »

I knew Joe Thomas would ruin this record. I'm probably speaking a little too soon but it's not looking good..

Beach Boys fans: album is not out yet. But we know it sucks.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 31, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »

No - the studios at United were much bigger, as the big bands tended to record there. Sinatra recorded at United. Western was the rock department, so to speak.

Not sure that this is true ... at least looking at the room dimensions for the studios listed at their websites.

http://www.oceanwayrecording.com/studios-hollywood.php
http://www.eastwest-studios.com/home
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 31, 2012, 02:13:03 PM »

At least we won't be disappointed if it's good.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 31, 2012, 02:41:03 PM »

Thanks Phil!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: March 31, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »

C'mon man that is one ridiculous statement, I've feared many an album only to be very fuckin' surprised. Case in point BW Presents SMiLE.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: March 31, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »

C'mon man that is one ridiculous statement, I've feared many an album only to be very f*ckin' surprised. Case in point BW Presents SMiLE.

I think that record surprised everyone, dude  LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1044 on: March 31, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »

Not sure that this is true ... at least looking at the room dimensions for the studios listed at their websites.

http://www.oceanwayrecording.com/studios-hollywood.php
http://www.eastwest-studios.com/home

It's true in terms of Studio Three at Western, where most of Brian's work in the '60s with the BBs was done.  It's signifcantly smaller than Studios One and Two.  It could be considered their "rock room".
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 01, 2012, 12:49:39 AM »

The Beach Boys haven't released a good album in 35 years. Aside from the SMiLE album, Brian's solo work has been hit & miss.

I have a feeling it's gonna be all adult contemporary with sugar coated production. I hope they toned down the autotune because in my book Do It Again really suffers from that. Needs more feel, less gloss. We'll see.

No mas, por favor.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 01, 2012, 02:26:44 AM »

To what extent does Brian produce his records these days anyway? I hear pretty mixed reports on this, but I've generally gotten the impression that he's more of an honorary producer at this point than anything else. Before Love You there's a clear line running through Brian's work, you can hear him evolving towards 15 Big Ones and Love You on some of his Sunflower era songs and on Funky Pretty. After Love You it's hard to discern any definite thread in his songs in terms of production, and it always sounds to me like other people started taking over for him. He just doesn't really seem to have a 'voice' as a producer anymore like he used to.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 01, 2012, 07:47:15 AM »

To what extent does Brian produce his records these days anyway? I hear pretty mixed reports on this, but I've generally gotten the impression that he's more of an honorary producer at this point than anything else. Before Love You there's a clear line running through Brian's work, you can hear him evolving towards 15 Big Ones and Love You on some of his Sunflower era songs and on Funky Pretty. After Love You it's hard to discern any definite thread in his songs in terms of production, and it always sounds to me like other people started taking over for him. He just doesn't really seem to have a 'voice' as a producer anymore like he used to.

Agree. From M.I.U. onwards (bad production, as is KTSA), he's not really in charge IMHO. L.A. Album is so smoothed over (Boettcher, Johnston), then there is the 1986 album with Stewart Levine, and so on and so forth. Love You is totally Brian in some adventurous minimalist 'punk' mood... and there it stops.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 01, 2012, 07:47:57 AM »

He definitely produced "On Christmas Day"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuptvX3xYlg

Hard to guess outside of that, but I'd imagine on certain songs, he probably still does something like this.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 01, 2012, 07:53:57 AM »

Agree. From M.I.U. onwards (bad production, as is KTSA), he's not really in charge IMHO. L.A. Album is so smoothed over (Boettcher, Johnston), then there is the 1986 album with Stewart Levine, and so on and so forth. Love You is totally Brian in some adventurous minimalist 'punk' mood... and there it stops.

Steve Levine, 1985

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx