gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:15:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055751 times)
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: March 08, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »

I'm glad someone else mentioned the Christian Love thing. As far as vocals on the CD, it would be great it Matt Jardine did the falsetto and Christian Love came in the mix. Matt has the closest sound IMO to Brian, and he did his time all in the 90s and currently with Al in perfecting that sound. His Hushabye is incredible and very close to Brian. And Christian Love has a very close sound to Carl's voice. I know it's not a replacement, but with a timbre so similar to Carl's, adding it to the album mix will give them something close to having an original sound. I know with all of them old it'll never reach 60s early 70s quality, but still close. For a great Christian Love reference, find the youtube video of him singing God Only Knows with the orchestra. It's a damn good tribute to the style of Carl. And finally, it would keep all the vocals with family members, which is one of their trademarks. Being America's Family band. Thoughts?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2012, 08:07:44 PM »

You'd think they're missing an opportunity to sell the album at the shows... Maybe Brian's pulling a 1967 on us.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #602 on: March 08, 2012, 08:43:13 PM »

Seems a little dark to me. But not bad, if that's what they're going with.

I would definitely put it down for a plausible song title, at the very least.
It is a bit dark, yet summery, and as such it has the potential to intrigue the "All Summer Long" crowd and the "Til I Die" crowd. As someone who tends towards the latter style, I have to say that it is probably the only summer or beach-related title that would not make me slightly worried about the album. "Summer's End" could be another personal statement from Brian, just as Pet Sounds communicated where he was at in his early 20s, and Love You chronicled his time wandering in the desert.

- B00ts
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 09, 2012, 06:04:02 AM »

Well, with the PBS special featuring new material and archive footage called "Summer's Gone," I am wondering if that is going to be the album title for what is likely their final album, and at the very least their "autumn years" album.

Thoughts?

wait what?? What  PBS special?? Have I missed something?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 09, 2012, 06:11:18 AM »

Well, with the PBS special featuring new material and archive footage called "Summer's Gone," I am wondering if that is going to be the album title for what is likely their final album, and at the very least their "autumn years" album.

Thoughts?

wait what?? What  PBS special?? Have I missed something?

Check the "Big News" thread…

“We live in divisive times.”
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 09, 2012, 07:57:09 AM »

Summer's Gone, is one heck of a neat song title, if that's what it is.

For me it conjures up a lot of melodic images in a minor key, melancholy
beachy, hey this is it, kind of like the Beatles saying goodbye on the
Abbey Road medley with "The End"

Of course there may be no such song! It could be in a major key, and it could
be an upbeat throwaway number!

Tantalizing though isn't it!

You say there is a PBS special? when does it air? The advertisement says there will be new material?
Is that true?

After a dryspell of a week or so, it looks like we may be getting some new information, I need to read
that link, one thing, we could expect the album or single by the date of the show, I presume, if  the show
features new material, do they really wanna debut the new songs on PBS when they could get a larger
audience on mainstream television or a national radio show with a big audience

Can someone with some info chime in, can we find out if Summer's Gone is an actual song title, that's
tantalizing as hell, good title, doesn't say a lot, but it implies a lot, conjures lots of images.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 09, 2012, 08:12:26 AM »

beachy,

Tell me about it. I wrote it last year.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 09, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »

beachy,

Don't joke about stuff like that, that has happened to me for real, and you can't do a thing, titles
are not copywritable

Now did you have anything to do with this television special, or send a tape of it to Joe Thomas or
the Beach Boys, even if you could prove that, you can;t touch a title, and they are pretty generic
words it's plausible two human beings could come up with a title like that, independent of one another.

Now if you wrote a song title that was out there, say, Muggle 77 on Hapworth Road, well then maybe
you could make a case of sorts, but "summer's Gone" not a chance.

Can we confirm, that this is actually a song title on the new Beach Boy album, it sure is a good one
if it's true.

By the way, was your song, in a minor key with kind of a ballad nature, just curious.

I have been kind of worried, when I kept hearing the song title "That's Why God Made The Radio"
I had visions of Snuff Garrett producing a Cher or John Denver session or something, I know that unfair
it could be a great song, but the images from the title, were well that's what I thought of, Snuff garrett in
a denim jacket talking to Sonny Bono on the phone while Kenny Rogers sings between bites of chicken.

But then I hear "Summer's Gone" and I picture that painting from the Surf's Up album cover and I say
I need to hear this new album!
SBonilla
« Reply #608 on: March 09, 2012, 08:31:25 AM »

...one thing, we could expect the album or single by the date of the show, I presume, if  the show
features new material, do they really wanna debut the new songs on PBS when they could get a larger
audience on mainstream television or a national radio show with a big audience

I really like SUMMER'S GONE. TV Special, song title, album title... We'll see.

PBS programs attract boomers. Wouldn't you think that a generation that grew up with the band and has disposable cash  would be the likely group to target in the marketing campaign for this The Beach Boys project? . It's a good move.  They can spread out from there to other major media. And throw a few bones to secondary outlets. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 09, 2012, 08:35:47 AM »

beachy,

Don't joke about stuff like that, that has happened to me for real, and you can't do a thing, titles
are not copywritable

Now did you have anything to do with this television special, or send a tape of it to Joe Thomas or
the Beach Boys, even if you could prove that, you can;t touch a title, and they are pretty generic
words it's plausible two human beings could come up with a title like that, independent of one another.

Now if you wrote a song title that was out there, say, Muggle 77 on Hapworth Road, well then maybe
you could make a case of sorts, but "summer's Gone" not a chance.

Can we confirm, that this is actually a song title on the new Beach Boy album, it sure is a good one
if it's true.

By the way, was your song, in a minor key with kind of a ballad nature, just curious.

I have been kind of worried, when I kept hearing the song title "That's Why God Made The Radio"
I had visions of Snuff Garrett producing a Cher or John Denver session or something, I know that unfair
it could be a great song, but the images from the title, were well that's what I thought of, Snuff garrett in
a denim jacket talking to Sonny Bono on the phone while Kenny Rogers sings between bites of chicken.

But then I hear "Summer's Gone" and I picture that painting from the Surf's Up album cover and I say
I need to hear this new album!

Well, I'm not suggesting that they stole it from me! I'm merely saying that my Beach Boys-y song called "Summer's Gone" will seem a lot less interesting (if it indeed ever was!) if it actually becomes the title of a Beach Boys song and that saddens me a bit.

But yes, it is in a minor key and a bit of a ballad, using the season change as a metaphor for a relationship. I have a video of it of me practicing it on a cheap keyboard on youtube to prove all of this but I am hesitant to put a video up where I am so visible.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 09, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »

I think Summer's Gone would be an exceptional title.  Matt Jardine is great, would love to see him in the mix.  I think Christian Love would be fine in there as well, but I have never thought he sounds remotely close to Carl.  I know that he tries to achieve that sound on things like Cool Head, Warm Heart, but he just doesn't come close.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 09, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »

I think Summer's Gone would be an exceptional title.  Matt Jardine is great, would love to see him in the mix.  I think Christian Love would be fine in there as well, but I have never thought he sounds remotely close to Carl.  I know that he tries to achieve that sound on things like Cool Head, Warm Heart, but he just doesn't come close.
"Remotely"? Come on! His voice is not as strong as Carl's was, but he has the timbre like Carl. Carl was the first person I thought of when I first heard him sing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 09, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »

Cautionary note: We have no confirmation from any source that "Summer's Gone" is the title of anything except the PBS doc.

It well could be -- indeed, it seems strange for such a title to come from nowhere -- but we do not know for sure.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: March 09, 2012, 11:02:37 AM »

Cautionary note: We have no confirmation from any source that "Summer's Gone" is the title of anything except the PBS doc.

It well could be -- indeed, it seems strange for such a title to come from nowhere -- but we do not know for sure.
Yes, I was just suggesting that it is a possibility - but it could be the title of a track on the album, it could be a phrase used on the album, or it could just be the title of the PBS special and nothing else. Time will tell. This is all speculation, aside from the title of the PBS special.

- B00ts
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 09, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »

"Summer's Gone" would/could be a great title (I know it's not official) but wouldn't something like "Almost Summer" be more, uh, optimistic?

P.S.

I'll vote again for Ocean Way, with the cover showing all the Beach Boys walking in the crosswalk..........

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 09, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »

"Summer's Gone" sounds just a bit too melancholy for an album title....it would turn a few heads, yes..but it's a bit heavy handed.  Perfect for just a song title, though. 

"Ocean Way" would be really fitting--mainly because it's just a great title---but I don't want the Beach Boys taking a page out of The Beatles handbook with the whole "Abbey Road" connection at this stage of the game. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: March 09, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »

Summer's Gone is what I tried to say when I meant that Almost Summer sounded melancholy to me. Neat title. Hope it delivers what it promises imo -» melancholy tunes in a way Pet Sounds sounds melancholy, so upbeat numbers can very well be a part of it and lots of beautiful harmonies and not nostalgic retrospection a la Still Surfin'

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: March 09, 2012, 12:02:14 PM »

"Summer's Gone" would/could be a great title (I know it's not official) but wouldn't something like "Almost Summer" be more, uh, optimistic?

P.S.

I'll vote again for Ocean Way, with the cover showing all the Beach Boys walking in the crosswalk..........

Bit tricky - no crosswalk outside Oceanway.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 09, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »

Yeah I'm alright with melancholy...nothing wrong with that but as a title to their probably last album on this, their 50th Anniversary seems a little forced.

But I'm on the fence if this will be the title of the album as well.  Considering the PBS special will consist of mostly archival footage and a bonus of a few new songs--I don't think they'd lend the album title to this project.  If it were a documentary about the making of the new album or perhaps the actual live DVD document of the new tour, sure, the product can share the name with the album, but an off to the side project?  Dunno about that...
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 09, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »

Yeah I'm alright with melancholy...nothing wrong with that but as a title to their probably last album on this, their 50th Anniversary seems a little forced.

But I'm on the fence if this will be the title of the album as well.  Considering the PBS special will consist of mostly archival footage and a bonus of a few new songs--I don't think they'd lend the album title to this project.  If it were a documentary about the making of the new album or perhaps the actual live DVD document of the new tour, sure, the product can share the name with the album, but an off to the side project?  Dunno about that...

Just a thought , maybe 'Summers Gone' is the name of a song from the new album ( and maybe a single ) hence the 1976 TV Special 'Its Ok'   ie They didn't call that TV Special '15 Big Ones' ( thankfully )
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 09, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »

Could very well be, Rob.  I'd be very interested to hear a song with that title. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 09, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »

1968: Summer's Almost Gone

2012: Summer's Gone. For Real.

Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 09, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »

I've got the perfect "reunion" song for them. Subtle, no hackneyed references to the past but could be interpreted as a healing, bittersweet homage to many years of knowing someone through good and bad times and reconciling to the impermanance of life situations.
In a similar vein as "Please Let Me Wonder" , very "1965".
Too bad I can't get it to them.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 09, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »

Let's hear it.
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 09, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »

Let's hear it.
That would be a little tough, I just wrote it today!
It's called "Glad I'm With You".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx