gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:31:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055721 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 07, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »

I'd rank O&O higher than the ever-overrated Sgt. Pepper any day of the week.

Ahhhh, c'mon. Now you're reachin'. Next you're gonna say it's better than the White and Abbey Rd. "Odessey & Oracle" is a damn fine album for sure, but..................I dunnnnnno.
Those are all very different pieces of music.. Regarding the Beatles catalogue I never really got the hype about Sgt. Pepper - in my book it's by far not their best LP. That's why I would rank O&O higher, any time. Okay, you can't really compare O&O musically with Abbey Road or The Beatles, but I'd say: it's on par with Abbey Road and also the white album. Both have superfluous tracks and songs I just don't care about sprinkled among the stand-out tracks. O&O on the other hand is consistent and maintains a damn fine quality of songs throughout.

But that's just taste, obviously..
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 07, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »

The gatehouse at Bellagio Manor:

... and the manor itself:

It's not much, but I call it home.

HEY EVERYBODY!

PARTY AT ANDREW'S!!!!!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: March 07, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »

that's EXACTLY the kind of house I pictured AGD would live in for some reason.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 07, 2012, 11:47:07 AM »

HEY EVERYBODY!

PARTY AT ANDREW'S!!!!!!

w00t!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 07, 2012, 11:47:40 AM »

But you have to dress as your favorite Jane Austin character.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 07, 2012, 11:48:35 AM »

Those are all very different pieces of music.. Regarding the Beatles catalogue I never really got the hype about Sgt. Pepper - in my book it's by far not their best LP. That's why I would rank O&O higher, any time. Okay, you can't really compare O&O musically with Abbey Road or The Beatles, but I'd say: it's on par with Abbey Road and also the white album. Both have superfluous tracks and songs I just don't care about sprinkled among the stand-out tracks. O&O on the other hand is consistent and maintains a damn fine quality of songs throughout. But that's just taste, obviously..

Good argument. Yeah, there's a lot of great albums you could put up against those and be in the ballpark. The best Stones, Kinks, and Who albums come immediately to mind....and of course it's a matter of opinion and taste.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 07, 2012, 12:32:53 PM »

Well over 90 percent of the Foskett hate is because --

1.) He's Brian's "minder" on the road.

2.) He's an evangelical Christian.

3.) He doesn't like Love You.

In other words, people don't think he's cool enough to have the job he has.

It's bullsh*t, and it has nothing to do with how he sounds. If you told people some random live track was Matt Jardine, but it was actually Foskett, I doubt most people here could tell. And really, it's about the same half-dozen guys who won't shut up about it.

I've never posted before concerning Fosketts' voice.
The only reason I don't like it is because I simply don't like the quality of his falsetto.
I know it's tough to match Brians' in his peak years.  Jeffs' sounds too "thin" and he doesn't emote with his voice , it just sounds like him trying to approximate Brians. And he falls far too short of the mark.
I can't believe how many people think it's satisfactory.
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 07, 2012, 12:37:23 PM »

Can you please elaborate on (and feel free to go into excruciatingly tedious detail) why you think Jeff's fallsetto doesn't cut it?  Would love to read your and everyone else's thoughts on that...

For me personally, his voice is too sterile, too clean.  Even when Brian's voice was pristine it still had some bite to it. It's like comparing Rod Stewart in the 70s to his (mostly) 70s covers album he did several years ago. One is the real deal, the other sounds like one of those K-Tel knockoffs. I'm not saying Foskett is a bad singer (far from it), just that I'm not that big of a fan as much as I could be.
Thanks, that's definitely part of it. I think  of what you call "bite" is sort of a "for lack of a better word" phlemy whininess" to Brians' great falsetto. And again, I don't hear foskett emoting. Brians' falsetto conveys  so much feeling, like unwritten words.
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 07, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »

Well over 90 percent of the Foskett hate is because --

1.) He's Brian's "minder" on the road.

2.) He's an evangelical Christian.

3.) He doesn't like Love You.

In other words, people don't think he's cool enough to have the job he has.

It's bullsh*t, and it has nothing to do with how he sounds. If you told people some random live track was Matt Jardine, but it was actually Foskett, I doubt most people here could tell. And really, it's about the same half-dozen guys who won't shut up about it.

I had no idea of Jeff's religious convictions and frankly could give a sh#t, dislike a chunk of Love You myself and admire anyone who's willing to take on the task of keeping an eye out for Brian. It still doesn't mean I can't find his falsetto annoying as hell.
Yep. And I don't think it's the mix or equipment, either. He just doesn't have the vocal chops for a satisfactory falsetto, imo. Not for Beach Boys music anyway.
Nicko1234
« Reply #534 on: March 07, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »

Indeed. Not sure why you were so surprised that anyone should consider the album better than 8 (or 13) Beach Boys albums from that era though. A fairly widely held viewpoint.

Is it really? I mean, I know that the album is well-regarded, but the BBs have sustained a fairly high critical (and popular!) reputation for their '60s work, too.

Sure they do. But Headquarters does have a much better reputation that SS, SU, LDC, SDV2, Concert and Party. That's 6 for a start.

Now as I said, Headquarters is regularly listed as one of the top 100 albums of the 60s. Are all of the other BB albums from the era such as Smiley Smile and SDASN all considered in the same way?

The Monkees albums did indeed generally contain filler but almost all of The Beach Boys albums did as well.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »

RE: Jeff o'the Foskett

Of course you can have problems with his falsetto, I'm not THAT much of a Brianista, but it's the 'Jeff Foskett is a proponent of Satan' talk that goes round from here that grates.

Someone posted a very valid point that a problem with Jeff doubling Brian is that their voices don't blend together well at all - I can dig that, especially in Brian's more shaky moments. But he doesn't deserve all the hate.

Besides, nobody can do Brian's 60's falsetto. Because it wasn't a falsetto  Wink

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »

Jeffs falsetto sticks out like a sore thumb

He seems like a nice guy though

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: March 07, 2012, 01:23:01 PM »

But Headquarters does have a much better reputation that SS, SU, LDC, SDV2, Concert and Party. That's 6 for a start.

5, actually - Surf's Up was released in 1971.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 07, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »

RE: Jeff o'the Foskett

Besides, nobody can do Brian's 60's falsetto. Because it wasn't a falsetto  Wink
Geez, let us not get back on that topic, PLEASE!!!!! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 07, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »

Sure they do. But Headquarters does have a much better reputation that SS, SU, LDC, SDV2, Concert and Party. That's 6 for a start.

BFD. I gotcher effing reputation right here.  I'll take all those Beach Boys albums over 'Headquarters' all day and all night.

Headquarters.  From a group who can't even show up to Davy Jones' funeral!  Mike Nesmith didn't even want to join their reunions because of his huge ego! And when the 3 of them did reunite on the road, they couldn't do it for longer than a few months, if that!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Nicko1234
« Reply #540 on: March 07, 2012, 01:56:45 PM »

But Headquarters does have a much better reputation that SS, SU, LDC, SDV2, Concert and Party. That's 6 for a start.

5, actually - Surf's Up was released in 1971.

Surfin USA
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 07, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »

I look at it this way: The Monkees were, after all, a damn fine band, even though they started out as a TV show.  A great writer and some great songs.  Not bad at all.

But the Beach Boys, well, the "peer group" of the Beach Boys is The Beatles.  That's it.  The end.
The Beach Boys AND The Beatles are the top o' the heap.  Everyone else is under them!

(I say this as a lifetime Beatles fan.)

Seriously, no one else is in the same "class" (i.e. musical level) as the Beach Boys and The Beatles.

Now, what the HECK was this thread about anyway?!?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Nicko1234
« Reply #542 on: March 07, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »

BFD. I gotcher effing reputation right here.  I'll take all those Beach Boys albums over 'Headquarters' all day and all night.

Headquarters.  From a group who can't even show up to Davy Jones' funeral!  Mike Nesmith didn't even want to join their reunions because of his huge ego! And when the 3 of them did reunite on the road, they couldn't do it for longer than a few months, if that!

Diddums.

If you think that Surfin' Safari is a better album then Headquarters then all power to you.

Not sure what Davy Jones's funeral being a private affair has to do with anything.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 07, 2012, 02:04:31 PM »

BFD. I gotcher effing reputation right here.  I'll take all those Beach Boys albums over 'Headquarters' all day and all night.

Headquarters.  From a group who can't even show up to Davy Jones' funeral!  Mike Nesmith didn't even want to join their reunions because of his huge ego! And when the 3 of them did reunite on the road, they couldn't do it for longer than a few months, if that!

That just seems irrelevant.

Regarding Foskett -- who can do better? The YT clip posted earlier suggests that Matt Jardine's voice has thinned out quite a bit. Adrian Baker is terrible. My take on it is that the falsetto slot is very hard to fill, period. Foskett isn't perfect, but to my ears he comes the closest, and is the most faithful to the music, of those available.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:05:39 PM by Wirestone » Logged
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 07, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »

Haha, thats rich, a Beach Boys fan making fun of a band member refusing to do reunion tours.
Nicko1234
« Reply #545 on: March 07, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »

Haha, thats rich, a Beach Boys fan making fun of a band member refusing to do reunion tours.

Indeed and there is a similarity, up to a point, between Mike's and Brian's situations.

Both going off to do successful (critically at least) solo careers which caused resentment among their bandmates. And occasionally tempted into reunions which never lasted too long.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 07, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »

That just seems irrelevant.

Seems that way, huh Clayton?  I just threw that stuff out there for conjecture..........because I can.  Did you know that Mike Nesmith's Mom has been losing money on "White-out" since PC's and Mac's started coming out in the late 70's/early 80's? Hope she saved up her millions before then.

Don't harass me, now, Wirestone, or we'll have to take it to the Sandbox!!  Cheesy

gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 07, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »

I don't want to be a stick in the mud, because I find the Monkee debate fascinating, but maybe that conversation should get moved to the Music Forum; my heart leaps everytime I see the "new" icon next to this thread and I think it's actual news about the new Beach Boys album.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 07, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »

Hey Mods, here is a thought. Can this whole "discussion" be moved somewhere else? This wasonce intended to be a thread for the new Beach Boys album. I logged on today and saw thee news pages and actually thought I missed something.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 07, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »

Great minds, huh?  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx