gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:21:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055671 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #500 on: March 07, 2012, 04:02:44 AM »

Is that really your house Andrew? It looks like Friar park! That's amazing, my house would fit inside that
about five times from the look of it.

I guess you get more for your money living out in a small village. I Like my little house, but I gotta say
that is impressive and colorful. It must get drafty. Do old English houses like that have modern electric heat
or do you have to burn wood or oil.

Smiley
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 07, 2012, 04:04:13 AM »

Is that really your house Andrew? It looks like Friar park! That's amazing, my house would fit inside that
about five times from the look of it.

I guess you get more for your money living out in a small village. I Like my little house, but I gotta say
that is impressive and colorful. It must get drafty. Do old English houses like that have modern electric heat
or do you have to burn wood or oil.

The house comes with it's own cemetary? Thats a neat place congrats, you call that modest? It looks rather
large to me, like a small castle for non billionaires
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 07, 2012, 06:02:25 AM »

You do talk some tosh, don't you ?

Firstly, did Brian place an advert and then audition some 200 odd people who replied ? And I think you'll find The Monkees were actually told "These are the instrumental tracks for the songs going on your albums and singles, all you have to do is sing on them".

Nesmith was writing and producing from the beginning. And while they weren't allowed to play (apart from Tork on a couple of tracks) on the first couple of albums, they took over creative control, including for singles like Pleasant Valley Sunday and Daydream Believer.

Speaking of The Monkees, over the weekend, I sat down and listened to the entire Monkees' output during their classic period, just to see what all the fuss was about and to find out what their deep catalog was like, given that their fans were forever going on about how they were valid musicians and not just the Pre-Fab Four. The hits remain, of course, excellent, sometimes outstanding pop, but the album tracks ? Filler, and sometimes really thin filler in both composition and execution. There is no deep catalog, as we understand it in the BB/Beatles sense.

I'd disagree quite strongly. The only album that works as a coherent whole is Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd, but that's more because of bad choices made during sequencing than because of a lack of good material. As far as good Monkees 'deep cuts' go, I'd suggest the following:
Writing Wrongs
Nine Times Blue
The Girl I Knew Somewhere
Cuddly Toy
Sweet Young Thing
Shorty Blackwell
My Share Of The Sidewalk
Someday Man
Saturday's Child
Papa Gene's Blues
Riu Chiu
Propinquity
Love Is Only Sleeping
The Door Into Summer
What Am I Doing Hangin' Round
Daily Nightly
Don't Call On Me
And a lot more.

Unfortunately, though, quite a lot of their best stuff remained unreleased on the actual albums, and has only seen legitimate release on rarities compilations and bonus tracks, so if you're just listening to the actual 1960s albums only Pisces and (arguably) Head stand up, because of the need to accomodate Davy Jones' fairly awful Broadway-rock.

For those with Spotify though, I've put together a playlist at http://open.spotify.com/user/stealthmunchkin/playlist/0ZbNc89WtrcsHreWrazgGV that should show there was more to the band than just the hits (though it's no coincidence that of the 25 songs in that playlist, 17 have Nesmith as either lead vocalist or songwirter).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 07, 2012, 06:21:40 AM »

Although those being rude to AGD because he doesn't like the music should show him a little slack. There is *plenty* of filler on those albums, and some of the good stuff takes several listens to get into. Partly because of the necessity to incorporate a load of bad Davy Jones tracks, the Monkees never made a classic album like Pet Sounds, Odessey And Oracle or Forever Changes, though I'd argue that Pisces comes close. They had one great singer (Dolenz), one great songwriter (Nesmith), one great instrumentalist (Tork), plus Davy Jones who was great as a live frontman and TV actor but added little of worth to the records. When they split those roles properly (say The Girl I Knew Somewhere, with Dolenz singing a Nesmith song and a great harpsichord solo by Tork) they sounded great. When they didn't, they didn't.

As for Foskett, I get the impression that the people who dislike him mostly dislike him for his perceived artistic conservatism -- from what I can tell his favourite Brian/Beach Boys stuff is the music from roughly All Summer Long through Pet Sounds and he's not that enamoured of the later stuff -- and that affects their perception of his vocals. He does have some flaws as a vocalist - he tends to hit the notes a tiny bit flat then pull himself up to the right note -- but he's perfectly good at what he does. I'd say he's not as good as Matt Jardine or Scott Totten, but better than Randell Kirsch. And anyone complaining about him should just remember -- we could have had Adrian Baker instead. be grateful for small mercies.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 07, 2012, 06:56:03 AM »

Only a monster wouldn't smile at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0emLj0d66DQ
Better than the HN version imo. I've always wanted a coat like the one Michael is wearing in that clip.

Yeah, it's cute and very nice. But rock & roll - or even pop - it ain't. Pure 19th century English music hall.

Written, of course, by one of the finest American songwriters of the period.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 07, 2012, 07:12:09 AM »

Sorry. I didn't fully appreciate that you giving each Monkees album a listen makes you an expert whose opinion can't be questioned.  Smiley

Remember, I came to these albums entirely fresh, albeit primed by both Monkees and general music fans to expect something slightly extraordinary from the non-hits and singles. I don't hear this, despite repeated listenings. I hear poor album fodder thinly produced. To compare, I knew maybe three Zombies singles when I first heard Odessey & Oracle about five years ago, and that album totally blew me away out of the traps.

I listened to O&O by the Zombies having only heard the hits too, absolutely outstanding album that I personally rank higher than any Beatles album.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 07, 2012, 09:06:57 AM »

Indeed. Not sure why you were so surprised that anyone should consider the album better than 8 (or 13) Beach Boys albums from that era though. A fairly widely held viewpoint.

Is it really? I mean, I know that the album is well-regarded, but the BBs have sustained a fairly high critical (and popular!) reputation for their '60s work, too.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 07, 2012, 09:36:49 AM »

You do talk some tosh, don't you ?

Firstly, did Brian place an advert and then audition some 200 odd people who replied ? And I think you'll find The Monkees were actually told "These are the instrumental tracks for the songs going on your albums and singles, all you have to do is sing on them".

Obviously, just poking the bear a bit (I just didn't intend to poke THE bear on this board).  Smiley   But the point I was making is people knock the Monkees formation because they were just "put together" and didn't "pay their dues", playing dives along the way.  And while the Boys worked hard to go from "Surfin'" to "California Girls", they were also, pretty much "put together", albeit by a member of the group.  And by the time the Monkees hit the scene (1966), they were even using a lot of the same session musicians on tracks (some written and produced by a member of the group) that they added vocals and additional instrumentation too.  

Yes, it's a big stretch but it's also not AS big a stretch as their detractors make it out to be.   Undecided

As for post-creative control deep cuts, my very top suggestions include
The Girl I Knew Somewhere
You Told Me
You Just May Be The One
For Pete's Sake
Daily, Nightly
Goin' Down
Auntie's Municpal Court
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:47:10 AM by Phoenix » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 07, 2012, 10:00:04 AM »

I listened to O&O by the Zombies having only heard the hits too, absolutely outstanding album that I personally rank higher than any Beatles album.

Wow.  That's just.............................wrong.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 07, 2012, 10:01:43 AM »

With Headquarters it's worth noting that it was the first album where The Monkees were not just adding vocals to finished backing tracks written, performed and produced by other people, so in many ways it the band's DEBUT album. When you consider it in that light Headquarters is one of the finest debuts of the 1960s. What really did The Monkees in was that once they gained artistic controll they soon realised that they had nothing in common musically and essentially became solo artists, putting out their individual songs under The Monkees brand.

Also they suffered under The Beach Boys/Bob Dylan syndrome of often leaving some of their best works in the can.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 07, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »

Wow.  That's just.............................wrong.

No it's not wrong, note I say "personally" in my post, that means it's my opinion. If you want to believe that it's not as good as the Beatles albums then that's your opinion which I wholeheartedly respect.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 07, 2012, 10:10:32 AM »

Well over 90 percent of the Foskett hate is because --

1.) He's Brian's "minder" on the road.

2.) He's an evangelical Christian.

3.) He doesn't like Love You.

In other words, people don't think he's cool enough to have the job he has.

It's bullsh*t, and it has nothing to do with how he sounds. If you told people some random live track was Matt Jardine, but it was actually Foskett, I doubt most people here could tell. And really, it's about the same half-dozen guys who won't shut up about it.

I had no idea of Jeff's religious convictions and frankly could give a sh#t, dislike a chunk of Love You myself and admire anyone who's willing to take on the task of keeping an eye out for Brian. It still doesn't mean I can't find his falsetto annoying as hell.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »

If you want to believe that it's not as good as the Beatles albums then that's your opinion which I wholeheartedly respect.

Well, thanks for that anyway.  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 07, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »

If you want to believe that it's not as good as the Beatles albums then that's your opinion which I wholeheartedly respect.

Well, thanks for that anyway.  Cheesy

"Let's be friends..."  Razz
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 07, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »

Headquarters is better than most Beach Boys albums of that decade (60's)

That's complete horse poo.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 07, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »

Haha. You're not in a good mood today, are you?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 07, 2012, 10:24:26 AM »

"Let's be friends..."  Razz

Well after that somewhat lame statement saying O&O is better than any Beatle album, it's kinda hard to be friends with you.............but.............I guess it's OK.  Grin

Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 07, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »

Why thank you kind sir!  Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 07, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »

Yeah, I'm fine!   Do you agree with Craig and Nickorama, R&R?   I can't.  I..........I just can't!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:28:51 AM by Mikie » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 07, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »

Headquarters is better than most Beach Boys albums of that decade (60's)

That's complete horse poo.

It's at least better than half of their sixties output IMO.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 07, 2012, 10:32:06 AM »

I'd rank O&O higher than the ever-overrated Sgt. Pepper any day of the week.

By the way, we're getting far off-topic, aren't we?  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:32:58 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 07, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »

Yeah, I'm fine!   Do you agree with Craig and Nickorama, R&R?   I can't.  I..........I just can't!

Well, I would put Odessey in my top 5 favourite albums but it would be behind Revolver and The White Album. It would also be very close to Rubber Soul. So, I guess, in my opinion, it's better than lots of Beatles albums but that in no way reduces the greatness of those Beatles albums and certainly doesn't damage The Beatles position at the top of my favourite bands list.

As for Headquarters -- I do think it's a great album. It's certainly no better than Pet Sounds, Wild Honey or Today! but it may give some of the others a run for their money.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 07, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »

When out and about on my estates, I only listen to the likes of Elgar, Vaughn Williams and Delius.  Grin

No Prokofiev?  Seriously, check out his piano Tocatta!

Wowzers!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 07, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »

Ahhhh, c'mon. Now you're reachin'. Next you're gonna say it's better than the White and Abbey Rd. "Odessey & Oracle" is a damn fine album for sure, but..................I dunnnnnno.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 07, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »

Ahhhh, c'mon. Now you're reachin'. Next you're gonna say it's better than the White and Abbey Rd. "Odessey & Oracle" is a damn fine album for sure, but..................I dunnnnnno.

It depends on personal taste I guess.

Nothing on Sgt. Pepper stands out emotionally for me. Whereas on O&O each song is psychedelic/beautiful/emotional. Just my preference though.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx