gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:34:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055803 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 07, 2012, 12:46:02 AM »

You do talk some tosh, don't you ?

Firstly, did Brian place an advert and then audition some 200 odd people who replied ? And I think you'll find The Monkees were actually told "These are the instrumental tracks for the songs going on your albums and singles, all you have to do is sing on them".

Speaking of The Monkees, over the weekend, I sat down and listened to the entire Monkees' output during their classic period, just to see what all the fuss was about and to find out what their deep catalog was like, given that their fans were forever going on about how they were valid musicians and not just the Pre-Fab Four. The hits remain, of course, excellent, sometimes outstanding pop, but the album tracks ? Filler, and sometimes really thin filler in both composition and execution. There is no deep catalog, as we understand it in the BB/Beatles sense.

Shut the front door.  If you don't like Sunny Girlfriend you're just soulless. Do we need any further confirmation of what we've all suspected for so long? AGD is some type of automaton...

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: March 07, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »

Headquarters is better than most Beach Boys albums of that decade.

Beach Boys albums of "that decade" i.e. the 60s:

Surfin' Safari
Surfin' USA
Surfer Girl
Shut Down Volume 2
All Summer Long
Christmas Album
Concert
Today
Summer Days...
Party
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20

So you're saying that Headquarters is better than eight of those ? Think you're on the wrong board, pal.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 07, 2012, 12:47:39 AM »

Only a monster wouldn't smile at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0emLj0d66DQ
Better than the HN version imo. I've always wanted a coat like the one Michael is wearing in that clip.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:49:08 AM by Fishmonk » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: March 07, 2012, 12:50:17 AM »

Firstly, did Brian place an advert and then audition some 200 odd people who replied ? And I think you'll find The Monkees were actually told "These are the instrumental tracks for the songs going on your albums and singles, all you have to do is sing on them".

Speaking of The Monkees, over the weekend, I sat down and listened to the entire Monkees' output during their classic period, just to see what all the fuss was about and to find out what their deep catalog was like, given that their fans were forever going on about how they were valid musicians and not just the Pre-Fab Four. The hits remain, of course, excellent, sometimes outstanding pop, but the album tracks ? Filler, and sometimes really thin filler in both composition and execution. There is no deep catalog, as we understand it in the BB/Beatles sense.

Shut the front door.  If you don't like Sunny Girlfriend you're just soulless. Do we need any further confirmation of what we've all suspected for so long? AGD is some type of automaton...

I was prepped by folk here and elsewhere for some amazing musical revelation when I heard the non-hits, and yes, it was amazing - amazing how very poor most of them were. Less surprising was that Davy sang a lot of them, and rather badly. Probably my fave Monkees track is "Porpoise Song", and that sounds like an MMT outtake.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:54:20 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: March 07, 2012, 12:53:09 AM »

Only a monster wouldn't smile at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0emLj0d66DQ
Better than the HN version imo. I've always wanted a coat like the one Michael is wearing in that clip.

Yeah, it's cute and very nice. But rock & roll - or even pop - it ain't. Pure 19th century English music hall.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 07, 2012, 12:54:13 AM »

Shut the front door.  If you don't like Sunny Girlfriend you're just soulless. Do we need any further confirmation of what we've all suspected for so long? AGD is some type of automaton...

I was prepped by folk here and elsewhere for some amazing musical revelation when I heard the non-hits, and yes, it was amazing - amazing how very poor most of them were. Less surprising was that Davy sang a lot of them, and rather badly. Probably my fave Monkees track is "Porpoise Song", and that sounds like an MMT outtake.

I'll agree with you AGD, The Monkees are not as strong of a band as TBB, but then again, few bands are. However I find them overall to be very enjoyable, I can put on PAC&J LTD anytime and enjoy it from start to finish. They're not a radical experimental band, but they're fun and overall very very solid for what they did do. Much better than somewhat similar acts like Harper's Bizarre

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: March 07, 2012, 12:58:18 AM »

For sure, enjoyable, but the party line was that when they got artistic control, they produced some amazing stuff - and to these ears, they fell way short. Your personal mileage will, of course, vary. Which is overall a grand thing.  Cheesy

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 07, 2012, 01:01:06 AM »

The Monkees never did a top tier album like Notorious Byrd Brothers, Forever Changes, or Pet Sounds. They weren't a top tier band. But they are fucking great regardless. Don't think about it so much Andrew, just put Headquarters on a cd and listen to it as you drive around the english countryside.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: March 07, 2012, 01:07:57 AM »

When out and about on my estates, I only listen to the likes of Elgar, Vaughn Williams and Delius.  Grin

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 07, 2012, 01:10:59 AM »

When out and about on my estates, I only listen to the likes of Elgar, Vaughn Williams and Delius.  Grin

And those guys are fucking amazing, too.

Really.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 07, 2012, 01:13:16 AM »

Dr. Primrose usually just gets his beautiful daughters to regal him with ballads whenever the squire stops by

Nicko1234
« Reply #486 on: March 07, 2012, 01:19:15 AM »

Beach Boys albums of "that decade" i.e. the 60s:

Surfin' Safari
Surfin' USA
Surfer Girl
Shut Down Volume 2
All Summer Long
Christmas Album
Concert
Today
Summer Days...
Party
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20

So you're saying that Headquarters is better than eight of those ? Think you're on the wrong board, pal.

Sorry. I didn't fully appreciate that you giving each Monkees album a listen makes you an expert whose opinion can't be questioned.  Smiley

Just because I'm a fan of The Beach Boys doesn't mean that I (or other posters on this board) can't appreciate other bands. It also doesn't mean that I can't try to take a critical look the group's albums.

Now Headquarters is regularly listed as one of the top 100 albums of the sixties and seems to receive almost universal praise.

Pet Sounds is obviously considered to be far superior. Today possibly is as well.

But there are several BBs album from that decade (SS, SU, LDC, SDV2, Concert and Party) which are not generally considered to be in the same stratosphere.

All of the other albums are debatable but I would say that Headquarters has a better reputation than quite a few of them.

Nicko1234
« Reply #487 on: March 07, 2012, 01:22:02 AM »

Yeah, it's cute and very nice. But rock & roll - or even pop - it ain't. Pure 19th century English music hall.

And?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2012, 01:34:16 AM »

Sorry. I didn't fully appreciate that you giving each Monkees album a listen makes you an expert whose opinion can't be questioned.  Smiley

Remember, I came to these albums entirely fresh, albeit primed by both Monkees and general music fans to expect something slightly extraordinary from the non-hits and singles. I don't hear this, despite repeated listenings. I hear poor album fodder thinly produced. To compare, I knew maybe three Zombies singles when I first heard Odessey & Oracle about five years ago, and that album totally blew me away out of the traps.

Nicko1234
« Reply #489 on: March 07, 2012, 01:52:06 AM »

Remember, I came to these albums entirely fresh, albeit primed by both Monkees and general music fans to expect something slightly extraordinary from the non-hits and singles. I don't hear this, despite repeated listenings. I hear poor album fodder thinly produced. To compare, I knew maybe three Zombies singles when I first heard Odessey & Oracle about five years ago, and that album totally blew me away out of the traps.

And? You think that your opinion is of any particular importance why?
MBE
« Reply #490 on: March 07, 2012, 02:36:40 AM »

I heard a lot of Monkees songs as I was in a band with a collector. I like them OK and enjoyed the show as a kid but only bought one 45 of Daydream Believer (which I still think Bruce could have nailed though he kind of mocked the song when I brought it up to him). The flip (it's a reissue 45 is Listen To The Band and that is a good song too.  When you hear something new that gets you (doesn't matter when it was cut-new to an individual is what I mean) you know it. We all have different tastes and none of the next sentence means anything other than my subjective viewpoint. I am glad the Monkees got reconsidered to a point, but there are better bands from the period are a lot more unjustly obscure. The Head period was cool though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: March 07, 2012, 02:40:20 AM »

And? You think that your opinion is of any particular importance why?

As valid as yours: no more, no less.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: March 07, 2012, 02:44:41 AM »

Dr. Primrose usually just gets his beautiful daughters to regal him with ballads whenever the squire stops by

The gatehouse at Bellagio Manor:

... and the manor itself:

It's not much, but I call it home.

Nicko1234
« Reply #493 on: March 07, 2012, 02:51:19 AM »

Indeed. Not sure why you were so surprised that anyone should consider the album better than 8 (or 13) Beach Boys albums from that era though. A fairly widely held viewpoint.
MBE
« Reply #494 on: March 07, 2012, 02:59:57 AM »

Well over 90 percent of the Foskett hate is because --

1.) He's Brian's "minder" on the road.

2.) He's an evangelical Christian.

3.) He doesn't like Love You.

In other words, people don't think he's cool enough to have the job he has.

It's bullsh*t, and it has nothing to do with how he sounds. If you told people some random live track was Matt Jardine, but it was actually Foskett, I doubt most people here could tell. And really, it's about the same half-dozen guys who won't shut up about it.

I didn't know that religous stuff about Jeff until now but I'll weigh in.

Not liking Love You is fine by me as I don't dig it much.  I do think he shouldn't stop Brian from playing it if he in fact does. Religion doesn't matter to me when looking at a person. Everybody has or doesn't have beliefs of their own. If Jeff pushes it on people is one thing, but if he doesn't its nothing that is a concern or even notable. The only thing I ever heard that bothered me along that line of a minder is that I understand (I haven't seen it myself) he has told Brian to change his responces in public sometimes in front of people. If it's true that's kind of sad, but everybody I have talked to that would know has said Brian needs a minder of some sort since the mid seventies. Landy and his team gave that role a bad name, but it seems Brian (to be fair like many other people who are famous or who have emotional issues) needs help staying on track.  

Musically he's OK as he does hit the notes fine. He doesn't have the kind of soul the original Beach Boys had in their prime but nobody does. I never minded his presence at the shows.

I
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:00:55 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
MBE
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2012, 03:02:23 AM »

The gatehouse at Bellagio Manor:

... and the manor itself:

It's not much, but I call it home.
How about having me over for dinner? Great shots!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: March 07, 2012, 03:14:10 AM »

Indeed. Not sure why you were so surprised that anyone should consider the album better than 8 (or 13) Beach Boys albums from that era though. A fairly widely held viewpoint.

Because, to these ears, it isn't. Others disagree: personally, I think it's a case of the pendulum swinging back too far. Again, just my take. I was primed for excellence, and I didn't, and don't, hear it.

Paulos
« Reply #497 on: March 07, 2012, 03:43:40 AM »

I always feel it's a bit wrong to judge albums after one or two listens, in fact it took me about 5-6 listens before Pet Sounds revealed its true beauty. Same with Love You - first few times I remember thinking 'what IS this?', didn't listen to it for awhile then gave it another go and voila, awesomness ensued!
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 07, 2012, 03:52:57 AM »

Chemistry Chemistry Chemistry!

The Beach Boys, or Beatles or whoever it might be, have a sound, something that happens when
they get in a room together, it's intangible, one of my pet theories, is usually, when bands are related
or grow up together in the neighborhood, or both, occasionally you get a chemistry that is hard to define
or explain. It just is..

No session guys can ever beat that. It's like a gift from God.

On Foskett's vocals, I don't care for his falsetto, no matter what it' gonna be wrong, because it isn't that
chemistry of the original group. But it has nothing to do with talent or ability.

I agree with an earlier poster, Foskett is a bit too hot in the mix, (IMO) and equally important, they are
using some modern equipment and techniques on the new recordings, and they just don't sound the same.
The limitations of the early four and eight track equipment, shaded things, certain things weren't as clear, but
in an odd paradox, that limitation helped make the sound, you heard it on the playback and said, Eureka that's it!

I am sure they are using some vintage gear, but the digital recorders just don't sound the same, or the modern consoles
probably they are using vintage mics.

if you turned Foskett down a hard in the mix, and if you actually degraded the fidelity by recording on magnetic tape on an
old multitrack recorder, it would probably sound closer to the Beach Boys.

But when I listened to DIA the remake, I noticed all those things, but it didn't spoil it for me, I would have tried recording
on an old four or eight track machine and then dumping it into pro tools later,but anyway, it's not that Foskett is bad, he
just isn't Brian Wilson circa 1960's, he was slightly loud, and the clarity and sound of the modern equipment changes things.

As the album evolves and gets recorded and mixed, the Beach Boys and engineers, may notice some of those things, and
make adjustments by the time the final album comes out.

Although they want to, and will sound like the Beach Boys, I don't think they are especially thinking about replicating every
move they made in 1966. Also the timber of their voices has changed so much over 40 years and Carl and Dennis have died.
So you could do things, to duplicate the original sound a little more, but I think DIA demonstrated clearly, it still sounds like
the freaking Beach Boys, because it is.

If the songs sound like Beach Boys compositions, I think it will be a real winner, the performance is remarkably good for a bunch
of 70 year old guys, but are they able to write songs that sound similar to old Beach Boy tunes, I think Lucky Old Sun, proves
they probably can, Think of Lucky Old Sun with the Beach Boy Blend and more Mike Love lyrics instead of Scott Bennett lyrics
and you get some idea, Beach Boys 1965  or 1969

I Liked that Van Dyke Parks, between song, interlude dialogue stuff, too bad nothing like that will be happening.
I imagine Van Dyke writing lyrics would have caused the whole project to implode from Mike Love's point of view
so I am expecting California Girls as opposed to Hero's and Villians.......

Can Wilson write some interesting melodies and arrangements, God I hope so.

I think the leaks we get are all deliberate, I hope they give us a deliberate leak pretty soon., I am dying
of curiosity

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 07, 2012, 04:00:41 AM »

Is that really your house Andrew? It looks like Friar park! That's amazing, my house would fit inside that
about five times from the look of it.

I guess you get more for your money living out in a small village. I Like my little house, but I gotta say
that is impressive and colorful. It must get drafty. Do old English houses like that have modern electric heat
or do you have to burn wood or oil.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx