gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:54:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055797 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: March 06, 2012, 03:49:28 PM »

I would rather have a wall of sound production ala: andy paley sessions/today/pet sounds/summer days etc in stereo of course,maybe a mono counterpart that us fans could buy..
It is really hard to do the Wall of Sound in stereo. Stereo just splits that wall apart, ala Pet Sounds.
aren't some of the Andy paley stuff in stereo? they sound pretty good if so..
They are stereo, just not Wall of Sound. The Wall of Sound is basically many instruments making one sound and is best accomplished in mono.
ok..well if it sounds like the Andy Paley stuff then I think that would be cool..or maybe a limited edition mono release from best buy or target or something like with a wall of sound mix that would be cool as well..
If you have the U.S. Singles Collection, play disc 13 and play the 2 Do You Wanna Dance tracks and you will hear the difference between the mono wall of sound and the stereo track.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:47:15 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 06, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »

Fosketts' falsetto does not cut it. I wish they could find someone who could.

I always feel bad when I read this because I have never noticed anything wrong with Jeff's falsetto.

Can you please elaborate on (and feel free to go into excruciatingly tedious detail) why you think Jeff's fallsetto doesn't cut it?  Would love to read your and everyone else's thoughts on that...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:07:49 PM by Justin » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 06, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »

Well over 90 percent of the Foskett hate is because --

1.) He's Brian's "minder" on the road.

2.) He's an evangelical Christian.

3.) He doesn't like Love You.

In other words, people don't think he's cool enough to have the job he has.

It's bullshit, and it has nothing to do with how he sounds. If you told people some random live track was Matt Jardine, but it was actually Foskett, I doubt most people here could tell. And really, it's about the same half-dozen guys who won't shut up about it.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 06, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »

I always feel bad when I read this because I have never noticed anything wrong with Jeff's falsetto.

Can you please elaborate on (and feel free to go into excruciatingly tedious detail into) why you think Jeff's fallsetto doesn't cut it?  Would love to read your and everyone else's thoughts on that...
If you like his falsetto then don't listen to Wilson Love. Enjoy it! There is lots of music that sounds terrific to my ears, yet to read the Hoffman board it is the worst listening one can endure. Just go with what sounds good to you.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 06, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »

Interesting...thanks Wirestone.  I suspected there was some BS invovled here but considering there were more and more comments ragging on his singing, it made me wonder what was really going on there.  
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 06, 2012, 04:07:06 PM »

Can you please elaborate on (and feel free to go into excruciatingly tedious detail into) why you think Jeff's fallsetto doesn't cut it?  Would love to read your and everyone else's thoughts on that...
If you like his falsetto then don't listen to Wilson Love. Enjoy it! There is lots of music that sounds terrific to my ears, yet to read the Hoffman board it is the worst listening one can endure. Just go with what sounds good to you.

Will do...I thought I was going crazy or something because everyone kept putting Jeff's falsetto down and I was thinking, "Damn, is there something wrong with me??  Why can't I hear it??"

I see you there on the Hoffman board, Dr!  We posted in the same BB thread earlier today!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 06, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »

I would rather have a wall of sound production ala: andy paley sessions/today/pet sounds/summer days etc in stereo of course,maybe a mono counterpart that us fans could buy..
It is really hard to do the Wall of Sound in stereo. Stereo just splits that wall apart, ala Pet Sounds.
aren't some of the Andy paley stuff in stereo? they sound pretty good if so..
They are stereo, just not Wall of Sound. The Wall of Sound is basically many instruments making one sound and is best accomplished in mono.

Actually, the Paley tracks are in mono. However, arrangement wise they aren't really wallo'sound.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 06, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »

I need to relisten to those tracks again. I probably haven't listened to them for 8 years or so.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SBonilla
« Reply #458 on: March 06, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »

I need to relisten to those tracks again. I probably haven't listened to them for 8 years or so.

I started to, once, and lost interest after a few intros.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 06, 2012, 05:12:22 PM »

Yep, most were just so-so, but a few were terrific. Soul Searchin', You're A Mystery and It's Not Easy Being Me are really catchy and would have been a great back bone for the new Beach Boys album back then.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 06, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »

Yep, most were just so-so, but a few were terrific. Soul Searchin', You're A Mystery and It's Not Easy Being Me are really catchy and would have been a great back bone for the new Beach Boys album back then.

You're Still A Mystery is the winner for me. I hope when they're talking about revisiting older songs for this album, that's one of the ones I hope they consider. It's Not Easy Being Me would be a good choice too, but You're Still A Mystery had a good vocal arrangement in the incarnation I heard and wouldn't take much work to finish for this album.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: March 06, 2012, 05:28:12 PM »

I would still like to see a proper release of these songs, maybe they could be included on the potential box set?  And was it always the group's intention for the Paley tracks to be in mono, or were these just demo mixes that were leaked out?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: March 06, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »

Can you please elaborate on (and feel free to go into excruciatingly tedious detail) why you think Jeff's fallsetto doesn't cut it?  Would love to read your and everyone else's thoughts on that...

For me personally, his voice is too sterile, too clean.  Even when Brian's voice was pristine it still had some bite to it. It's like comparing Rod Stewart in the 70s to his (mostly) 70s covers album he did several years ago. One is the real deal, the other sounds like one of those K-Tel knockoffs. I'm not saying Foskett is a bad singer (far from it), just that I'm not that big of a fan as much as I could be.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 06, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »

Can you please elaborate on (and feel free to go into excruciatingly tedious detail) why you think Jeff's fallsetto doesn't cut it?  Would love to read your and everyone else's thoughts on that...

For me personally, his voice is too sterile, too clean.  Even when Brian's voice was pristine it still had some bite to it. It's like comparing Rod Stewart in the 70s to his (mostly) 70s covers album he did several years ago. One is the real deal, the other sounds like one of those K-Tel knockoffs. I'm not saying Foskett is a bad singer (far from it), just that I'm not that big of a fan as much as I could be.

Agreed. The biggest difference between smile 67 and smile 2004 were the background vocals. The ones on BWPS are very good, but there's just something missing from them compared to the montage on the box.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 06, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »

Deleted

See below
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:03:15 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 06, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »

I will give you that the Monkees *tried* to pass as a legitimate band, but you simply can't erase the fact that they came together as a manufactured group for a TV series.  Their greatest successes came during the time their TV show was popular.  But once the show ended nobody (maybe unfairly) wanted to take them seriously.  That doesn't mean they didn't have any talent or don't deserve any credit.  They have their place in music history.  But because of their manufactured roots, it is unfair to draw certain comparisons between them and groups that formed on their own terms and earned their own success organically.  Which is why it's a rather moot point saying the members of the Monkees (who were all actors on a popular TV show) might be more recognizable than members of the Beach Boys.  

John Lennon formed the Quarrymen.  They played a few gigs and after a while some kid named Paul showed em his stuff backstage.  John liked what he saw and extended an invitation to the group.  Paul (after getting permission from his parents) accepted.  He then told John about George.  Same deal.  Eventually when they got signed, George M. didn't think their drummer was good enough to use on the recordings and fearing the worst, the guys had Brian sack him and asked Ringo to join.

Bob Rafelson and Bert Schneider liked what they saw in each of the prospective Monkees and essentially told Nesmith, Dolenz, Jones, and Tork, "Congratulations, you guys are now a group.  Here are the songs you're going to record."

Now is that second scenario REALLLLLLY that much different than what Brian did to his brothers, cousin, and neighbor?  Tongue Grin
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:01:28 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: March 06, 2012, 11:24:59 PM »

You do talk some tosh, don't you ?

Firstly, did Brian place an advert and then audition some 200 odd people who replied ? And I think you'll find The Monkees were actually told "These are the instrumental tracks for the songs going on your albums and singles, all you have to do is sing on them".

Speaking of The Monkees, over the weekend, I sat down and listened to the entire Monkees' output during their classic period, just to see what all the fuss was about and to find out what their deep catalog was like, given that their fans were forever going on about how they were valid musicians and not just the Pre-Fab Four. The hits remain, of course, excellent, sometimes outstanding pop, but the album tracks ? Filler, and sometimes really thin filler in both composition and execution. There is no deep catalog, as we understand it in the BB/Beatles sense.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 06, 2012, 11:40:02 PM »

I happen not to like Foskett's voice, but not because of any prejudice/jealousy etc. fundamentally I think he sings in a range that is not natural to him. He has a great mid range which is where he should sing.  But he's obviously a massive Brian Wilson fan so loves doing the falsetto. To me his falsetto is strained and a bit "thick", not crisp or natural. Matt J has got s crisp falsetto. In addition, he lacks subtlety, his oohs and aahs are somehow over the top.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 06, 2012, 11:46:03 PM »

I would never argue that Brian's band at all equals the classic BB vocals. And Jeff doesn't sound exactly like a twentysomething Brian Wilson. But that falsetto role is very hard to fill, and given Foskett's bona fides, he's probably the best we could hope for in Brian's records and solo touring.

I think a lot of the appreciation for Matt Jardine has to do 1.) with the family connection and 2.) the time when he toured with the BBs, he was precisely the right age -- late 20s, early 30s -- to have a really great youthful sound in his voice.
Nicko1234
« Reply #469 on: March 06, 2012, 11:53:43 PM »

Firstly, did Brian place an advert and then audition some 200 odd people who replied ? And I think you'll find The Monkees were actually told "These are the instrumental tracks for the songs going on your albums and singles, all you have to do is sing on them".

Speaking of The Monkees, over the weekend, I sat down and listened to the entire Monkees' output during their classic period, just to see what all the fuss was about and to find out what their deep catalog was like, given that their fans were forever going on about how they were valid musicians and not just the Pre-Fab Four. The hits remain, of course, excellent, sometimes outstanding pop, but the album tracks ? Filler, and sometimes really thin filler in both composition and execution. There is no deep catalog, as we understand it in the BB/Beatles sense.

Headquarters is better than most Beach Boys albums of that decade.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 07, 2012, 12:01:52 AM »

Headquarters is better than most Beach Boys albums of that decade.

Bought it today, actually. Sounds pretty strong to these ears. The outside writers do allow them to eat their cake and have it too, however.
Nicko1234
« Reply #471 on: March 07, 2012, 12:15:48 AM »

Bought it today, actually. Sounds pretty strong to these ears. The outside writers do allow them to eat their cake and have it too, however.

Absolutely. Mike Nesmith was the only member of the band who was a really gifted songwriter as his successful solo career attests to. Peter Tork and Mickey Dolenz wrote one or two good songs here and there. Davy Jones wasn't a songwriter.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: March 07, 2012, 12:22:56 AM »

I would never argue that Brian's band at all equals the classic BB vocals. And Jeff doesn't sound exactly like a twentysomething Brian Wilson. But that falsetto role is very hard to fill, and given Foskett's bona fides, he's probably the best we could hope for in Brian's records and solo touring.

I think a lot of the appreciation for Matt Jardine has to do 1.) with the family connection and 2.) the time when he toured with the BBs, he was precisely the right age -- late 20s, early 30s -- to have a really great youthful sound in his voice.

A more recent video of Matt's falsetto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_yoEEN0tBQ

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Nicko1234
« Reply #473 on: March 07, 2012, 12:32:11 AM »

A more recent video of Matt's falsetto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_yoEEN0tBQ

Not a good vocal performance but I don't think that is reflective of his singing as a whole. When Jeff Foskett sang this song acoustic with David Marks a few years ago he also sounded substandard.

Both Matt and Jeff are good singers. With Matt, generally speaking, having a slight edge.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 07, 2012, 12:34:08 AM »

Here's Jeff in a very clear audience video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7o2noJlPs8
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx