gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:59:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055819 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 02, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »

It's not even half-finished at this point, so I doubt anyone from the press has heard anything. So... what, then?

Your source on that would be?

Isn't that basically what Mike said a week or two ago?

He might have been talking about vocals. Given the mechanics of everything going on, it seems plausible that the vast majority of the album is already written and instrumental tracks cut. We do know Brian was recording tracks last summer with Joe and Jeff, and writing with them too. It also seems like a lot of that material is being used for this record.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:40:28 PM by Wirestone » Logged
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 02, 2012, 07:58:26 PM »

It's not even half-finished at this point, so I doubt anyone from the press has heard anything. So... what, then?

Your source on that would be?

Isn't that basically what Mike said a week or two ago?

A Lot can happen in a week or two. Presuming that the news leaks aren't already
a couple weeks or months behind, what is actually happening.

In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if when they say something to the press,
its a little out of date already, that they are really somewhat further advanced than
they let on. I base that on reports there were sessions happening nearly a year or
9 months ago.

As to DIA being a good commercial, I agree, I don't think that means it won't be on the
album though. I think that depends on how much material is in the can, and how it sounds
next to the other songs. If it doesn't fit, I would expect it to be some sort of bonus track
if on the other hand, it seems to flow with the album, I would expect it to be on there, unless
they have several extra songs in the can.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: March 03, 2012, 12:31:25 AM »

who's saying the album is good besides the people working on it?

Well, who else would know at this point?

Roll Eyes

OK, just messin' wit yo heads...  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:41 AM »

Roll Eyes

MoFo  LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 03, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »

Sure would love to hear a clip of song Mike and Al have been raving about.
C'mon throw us a bone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: March 03, 2012, 06:41:25 PM »

Roll Eyes

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 03, 2012, 08:40:55 PM »

The "half-finished" comment really had next to nothing to do with the rest of my post, guys Cry no need to over-analyze or anythang.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 03, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »

The "half-finished" comment really had next to nothing to do with the rest of my post, guys Cry no need to over-analyze or anythang.

But we don't have anything else to do!!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 04, 2012, 01:53:05 AM »

I'm rather surprised by just how many copies some posters think this is going to shift. 50,000 units worldwide is optimistic.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 04, 2012, 03:15:23 AM »

I'm rather surprised by just how many copies some posters think this is going to shift. 50,000 units worldwide is optimistic.

That's crazy. Certainly you just say that to get a rise out of people.

Music sales are way way down, and the Beach Boys have been declining for decades.
However, this is a monumental occasion. The 50Th anniversary and the swan song or
final album, from one of the five or ten most significant acts in the history of the rock era.

All the surviving original members singing together, a huge tour. a live DVD to follow.
The label seems to be fully behind the project, with whatever muscle they can still project
in a pinch. For historic Capitol records, this is a prestige project, and it should make some
much needed money as well. It should also shine a light on the back catalogue for increased
sales there as well.

We don't yet know how many versions of the new album will be available, just the standard version
or will there be a deluxe version, or signed limited editions. Bonus tracks for Itunes or Best buy
or a double album version at double the price.

If they deliver with a good album, say something as good as That Lucky Old Sun, but with the Beach Boy
blend   instead of that well meaning but saccharine sounding solo group. (no offense to them)

This is the real undiluted deal man, this is the Owsley bomb, the Occam's razor, the Mt Everest of living classic
rock bands... These are the very same people who did, Good Vibrations, Pet Sounds, SmiLe, Today, and Summer Days.

This is them, they even have Carl Wilson in the can to make a vocal appearance on one or two songs.  This is the four
way window pane of your musical soul.

Cream won't do it. The Beatles can't. The WHO can't and Won't. Hendrix is dead, so is Jim Morrison, so is Janis Joplin
Pink Floyd, could possibly do it, but they have refused. The Stones seemed to have uttered their last.As a group.

This album soon to be before you is the last of an extinct breed, one of the great iconic, hallowed bands of the sixties man.
The last album from survivors of the Happy revolution. Vietnam, Nixon, Woodstock a man on the moon, and who really killed
Kennedy...

This is it. If the album delivers, the sky is the limit, even with on line piracy, changing musical tastes, ageing vocal chords
Brian Wilson's fried brain and resorting to archival material to get Carl Wilson on the album.

This is not just another album. This is the last of its kind, and it is getting the full Monty treatment
from the record label, the faithful, a world tour. and supposedly some songs that will bring a tear
to our eyes and remember when.

Wouldn't you have liked to seen Sandy Koufax throw that last game, or Babe Ruth hit those
three homers when he was nearly through.. They still revere Abbey Road the last Beatles album
I think it sold two or three million downloads and remasters that one, 45 years after it came out.

Because of all things considered, the piracy, the changing types of music, their age, I say one to two
million world wide, in its initial run, unless they get lucky and catch a tailwind

If the album can fairly be described as Pet Sounds 2, or even just a great album, then the sky
is the limit, if they get lucky they could sell five million, depends on the single, how hard the label pushes
how many ads they buy on TV, radio and print, and on line,

They are getting tons of free advertising from the largest news and music publications on the planet.

A lot of people thought Mike Tyson was gonna knock out Buster Douglas too, but they weren't paying attention
to the fights before that one.

This album should do very very well, unless it stinks or the promotion people are bad at their jobs,
this  should go through the roof with hard work, experience, and the sentimental vote

1-2 million first year . more if they get lucky, much less if the album is a disappointment.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: March 04, 2012, 03:26:34 AM »

These are the very same people who did, Good Vibrations, Pet Sounds, SmiLe, Today, and Summer Days.

I beg to differ.  Roll Eyes

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 04, 2012, 04:02:58 AM »

These are the very same people who did, Good Vibrations, Pet Sounds, SmiLe, Today, and Summer Days.

[bWhat do you Mean Andrew? Because some of them have died?

Hal Blaine is 83, Carl Wilson is dead, Brian Wilson took lots of drugs, nothing can be done
about those things.

What do you mean? it can't be the same because its 40 odd years later?

It's as much the same as is possible, with  deaths, old age, and the passage of half a century.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: March 04, 2012, 04:12:08 AM »

Hal Blaine is 83, Carl Wilson is dead, Brian Wilson took lots of drugs, nothing can be done
about those things.

It's as much the same as is possible, with  deaths, old age, and the passage of half a century.

Being picky - Bruce wasn't on Today !, David wasn't on any of them.

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 04, 2012, 04:23:07 AM »

about those things.

Being picky - Bruce wasn't on Today !, David wasn't on any of them.

Oh I see
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 04, 2012, 05:13:21 AM »

Neil Diamond's previous (?) album (the one produced by Rick Rubin) went to number one in both the US and UK.  I don't think it is unreasonable to hope for a similar outcome for our guys.  But does anyone have any idea of what sales were like for the Neil Diamond album?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 04, 2012, 05:29:42 AM »

Music sales are way way down, and the Beach Boys have been declining for decades.
However, this is a monumental occasion. The 50Th anniversary and the swan song or
final album, from one of the five or ten most significant acts in the history of the rock era.

All the surviving original members singing together, a huge tour. a live DVD to follow.
The label seems to be fully behind the project, with whatever muscle they can still project
in a pinch. For historic Capitol records, this is a prestige project, and it should make some
much needed money as well. It should also shine a light on the back catalogue for increased
sales there as well.

We don't yet know how many versions of the new album will be available, just the standard version
or will there be a deluxe version, or signed limited editions. Bonus tracks for Itunes or Best buy

If they deliver with a good album, say something as good as That Lucky Old Sun, but with the Beach Boy
blend   instead of that well meaning but saccharine sounding solo group. (no offense to them)

This is the real undiluted deal man, this is the Owsley bomb, the Occam's razor, the Mt Everest of living classic
rock bands... These are the very same people who did, Good Vibrations, Pet Sounds, SmiLe, Today, and Summer Days.

This is them, they even have Carl Wilson in the can to make a vocal appearance on one or two songs.  This is the four

Cream won't do it. The Beatles can't. The WHO can't and Won't. Hendrix is dead, so is Jim Morrison, so is Janis Joplin
Pink Floyd, could possibly do it, but they have refused. The Stones seemed to have uttered their last.As a group.

This album soon to be before you is the last of an extinct breed, one of the great iconic, hallowed bands of the sixties man.
The last album from survivors of the Happy revolution. Vietnam, Nixon, Woodstock a man on the moon, and who really killed
Kennedy...

This is it. If the album delivers, the sky is the limit, even with on line piracy, changing musical tastes, ageing vocal chords
Brian Wilson's fried brain and resorting to archival material to get Carl Wilson on the album.

This is not just another album. This is the last of its kind, and it is getting the full Monty treatment
from the record label, the faithful, a world tour. and supposedly some songs that will bring a tear

Wouldn't you have liked to seen Sandy Koufax throw that last game, or Babe Ruth hit those
three homers when he was nearly through.. They still revere Abbey Road the last Beatles album
I think it sold two or three million downloads and remasters that one, 45 years after it came out.

Because of all things considered, the piracy, the changing types of music, their age, I say one to two
million world wide, in its initial run, unless they get lucky and catch a tailwind

If the album can fairly be described as Pet Sounds 2, or even just a great album, then the sky
is the limit, if they get lucky they could sell five million, depends on the single, how hard the label pushes

They are getting tons of free advertising from the largest news and music publications on the planet.

A lot of people thought Mike Tyson was gonna knock out Buster Douglas too, but they weren't paying attention

This album should do very very well, unless it stinks or the promotion people are bad at their jobs,
this  should go through the roof with hard work, experience, and the sentimental vote

1-2 million first year . more if they get lucky, much less if the album is a disappointment.

vintagemusic is the anti-PhilCohen!  Wink

SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 04, 2012, 06:51:25 AM »

sales there as well.

Kennedy...

Not that there's anything wrong with that!    Smiley
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 04, 2012, 07:03:17 AM »

Not that there's anything wrong with that!    Smiley

Didn't say there was.   Cheesy

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 04, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »

Neil Diamond's previous (?) album (the one produced by Rick Rubin) went to number one in both the US and UK.  I don't think it is unreasonable to hope for a similar outcome for our guys.  But does anyone have any idea of what sales were like for the Neil Diamond album?

Hmm… anyone know the sales figures for the last Joe Thomas-produced project?

“We live in divisive times.”
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 04, 2012, 09:31:41 AM »

vintagemusic, no disrespect meant but if you really think the reunion album is going to sell between 1-5 million copies then you have no grip on the music industry in this day and age. 50,000 copies on initial release is much more likely. Check how much The Smile Sessions sold.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 04, 2012, 03:38:07 PM »

Screw the number of sales.

Any album of songs with a 'Lucky', 'Postcard' etc theme with even a hint of 'Pet Sounds' could be a better 'final' work  than the country album that holds that (cough) honor at present.

Respectable numbers moved will be an added bonus but not the most important for this fan.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 04, 2012, 04:55:52 PM »

vintagemusic, no disrespect meant but if you really think the reunion album is going to sell between 1-5 million copies then you have no grip on the music industry in this day and age. 50,000 copies on initial release is much more likely. Check how much The Smile Sessions sold.

While it's tough to predict sales, I would be wary of using TSS as any sort of benchmark. It was a seven disc archival release aimed at a specific group of fans -- and even then it outperformed expectations.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 05, 2012, 01:57:53 AM »

Hmm… anyone know the sales figures for the last Joe Thomas-produced project?

Anyone know what the last album Joe Thomas produced was?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: March 05, 2012, 04:21:28 AM »

Stevie Nicks' The Soundstage Sessions in 2009, I think. #47 on Billboard.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 05, 2012, 04:35:16 AM »

Many thanks Andrew.

Guradian review:

When a performer needs an album more than the listener, you know you're in for trouble. As Fleetwood Mac embark on the latest of their reincarnations with a 43-date tour across America and Canada and with plans to return to the studio later this year, Nicks pops her own money spinner on the merch stall. These 10 tracks recorded alongside her 2007 solo tour cover career highlights such as "Stand Back", "Sara" and "Landslide", but remain bewilderingly unchanged decades on. Even a cover of "Crash Into You" receives little interpretation from the Dave Matthews Band original. Only for diehard fans.

I hate trying to second guess how the BBs will be treated…

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx