gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:33:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055784 times)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »

What do we actually know about WIBNTLA? I hear the title thrown around a lot but I really don't know anything about the song. Has anyone heard it?

A cover of the song appears on this album: http://www.amazon.com/Long-Promised-Road-Dennis-Wilson/product-reviews/B000NJWTH0. To my knowledge, only a few people have actually heard Dennis' original recording.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »

Well I hope it's a better tune than, uh, Don't Fight The Sea, which although I love hearing the Beach Boys
sing, it does sound, kind of like a dorky Terry Jacks song. Maybe it's just me, and whenever I hear the words
Terry Jacks, I think of Seasons in the Sun, and hide in my room for two days until the sickness goes away! LOL

Don't Fight the Sea is a Terry Jacks song. Al wrote the lyrics to an additional verse.

Waves of Love is an Al Jardine song, which he co-wrote with a friend named Larry Dvoskin.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2012, 10:38:03 PM »

I don't get Al's quote about not being able to have Dennis' voice on the record. I seriously don't understand why they wouldn't consider re-recording "WIBNTLA".

I think some things are more suited for archival release. Especially when you get to things like this song, which go back so far. (And which may well show up the rest of the more recent material on the record.) You have to draw the line somewhere, right?
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2012, 11:09:04 PM »

I think some things are more suited for archival release. Especially when you get to things like this song, which go back so far. (And which may well show up the rest of the more recent material on the record.) You have to draw the line somewhere, right?

Perhaps, but judging the song solely on Adam Marsland's cover, I would conclude that "WIBNTLA" was a very good, but not earth-shattering song.

Even if including "WIBNTLA" is out of the question, I find it ridiculous that Dennis would have no presence on this new record. He was no less of a Beach Boy than either of his two brothers.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:10:50 PM by coco1997 » Logged

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2012, 11:09:40 PM »

EDIT: Double post

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2012, 11:39:31 PM »

Perhaps, but judging the song solely on Adam Marsland's cover, I would conclude that "WIBNTLA" was a very good, but not earth-shattering song.

Even if including "WIBNTLA" is out of the question, I find it ridiculous that Dennis would have no presence on this new record. He was no less of a Beach Boy than either of his two brothers.

Frankly, I would prefer that neither be on there. It would be interesting to hear what the band can do today. Old recordings just make the whole thing seem weird to me.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2012, 12:35:32 AM »

Frankly, I would prefer that neither be on there. It would be interesting to hear what the band can do today. Old recordings just make the whole thing seem weird to me.
I'm with you, leave the old stuff for an archival release. Lets have the band as they are now.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: February 25, 2012, 12:48:06 AM »

Agreed. New album = new material (as much as possible).

- B00ts
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2012, 01:18:20 AM »

Hey all opinions are valid, but let me please state the following.

So far as we can tell, the bulk of the material is new, with a few archival songs. and those are going to be heavily
reworked with new overdubs etc. Also Wilson and the Beach Boys, have a career long habit, of, dipping into the song
bag for a percentage of the material. Look at TLOS for example. The title track is from a  1949 record by Frankie Lane
and it sounds nothing like Frankie Lane, it sounds like Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys, and that gorgeous little edit piece
near the end, from 1968? whats that called, can't wait too long? gorgeous, Honestly, those were my favorite bits on the album.
Also these cats are all 70 years old, and the fact that they are even doing this at all, modern medicine increased lifespan, its
remarkable man. This is a methodology that they have always used, writing some new material, and using certain choice archival stuff
because either they were a couple songs short on material, or the material just filled a gap in the album. Sloop John B, is not an original
song, it's an old folk standard or whatever. But when I hear Sloop John B, I'm not thinking anything except wow that sounds good.

If there are  hypothetically, a dozen tunes on the album, and eight or nine are new, and three or four are old, this is just the common way of
assembling an album the Beach Boys or Wilson has always employed.

Harrison, Lennon and McCartney do this, Crosby Stills and Nash do this, Lindsey Buckingham does this, I think, especially for older guys
this is a typical thing to do. I agree with your sentiment however, Lets hear a fresh new Beach Boys album! and we will, but a few of the
tunes are gonna be reworked.

As far as Carl and Dennis Wilson, being included, I think it's great. Dennis is included, as a musician his drums or percussion being sampled
on DIA, and maybe he will be sampled elsewhere, as far as his being included as a songwriter, I only know  of two solo albums, and a few
Beach Boys songs, he died young, maybe nothing that would sound good is available. Carl Wilson they have more tracks available, he lived
much longer, and they have fairly modern recordings of his voice that can be adapted, for use on the new album.

Look This album will represent the three surviving Beach Boys, along with Johnston, who has been with them 46 years? and Marks
who is kind of an original member. And Foskett had to be brought in for the vocals because Brian Wilson can't hit the high falsetto
anymore. Carl Wilson was a very important Beach Boy, its very cool, they will have one or two songs, with him, I understand what
you're saying, new material, the bulk of songs will be new, and the old songs will be freshly reworked and overdubbed, or cut from
scratch with the old vocals flown on top. Most of the album will be reflecting the surviving Beach Boys as they are today,

If they cut several of their old hits, I'll be sick to my stomach, but that doesn't seem to be whats happening.
We are very lucky this is happening, Most of the old masters from the sixties can't do this because too many
band members have died, or they just refuse to do it. Simon and Garfunkel wont do it, The Beatles can't with both
Harrison and Lennon dead, and George Martin is like 86 years old. The WHO could but they wont. The Kinks could but
they wont. This is one of the last opportunities of our lives, to hear one of the great original bands cut something fresh.
Maybe the last time. The Stones or Pink Floyd or someone might do it one day, maybe. This is possibly the last fresh album
we will ever hear from the great bands of the sixties.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2012, 02:35:02 AM »

Hey all opinions are valid, but let me please state the following.

So far as we can tell, the bulk of the material is new, with a few archival songs. and those are going to be heavily
reworked with new overdubs etc. Also Wilson and the Beach Boys, have a career long habit, of, dipping into the song
bag for a percentage of the material. Look at TLOS for example. The title track is from a  1949 record by Frankie Lane
and it sounds nothing like Frankie Lane, it sounds like Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys, and that gorgeous little edit piece
near the end, from 1968? whats that called, can't wait too long? gorgeous, Honestly, those were my favorite bits on the album.
Also these cats are all 70 years old, and the fact that they are even doing this at all, modern medicine increased lifespan, its
remarkable man. This is a methodology that they have always used, writing some new material, and using certain choice archival stuff
because either they were a couple songs short on material, or the material just filled a gap in the album. Sloop John B, is not an original
song, it's an old folk standard or whatever. But when I hear Sloop John B, I'm not thinking anything except wow that sounds good.

If there are  hypothetically, a dozen tunes on the album, and eight or nine are new, and three or four are old, this is just the common way of
assembling an album the Beach Boys or Wilson has always employed.

Harrison, Lennon and McCartney do this, Crosby Stills and Nash do this, Lindsey Buckingham does this, I think, especially for older guys
this is a typical thing to do. I agree with your sentiment however, Lets hear a fresh new Beach Boys album! and we will, but a few of the
tunes are gonna be reworked.

As far as Carl and Dennis Wilson, being included, I think it's great. Dennis is included, as a musician his drums or percussion being sampled
on DIA, and maybe he will be sampled elsewhere, as far as his being included as a songwriter, I only know  of two solo albums, and a few
Beach Boys songs, he died young, maybe nothing that would sound good is available. Carl Wilson they have more tracks available, he lived
much longer, and they have fairly modern recordings of his voice that can be adapted, for use on the new album.

Look This album will represent the three surviving Beach Boys, along with Johnston, who has been with them 46 years? and Marks
who is kind of an original member. And Foskett had to be brought in for the vocals because Brian Wilson can't hit the high falsetto
anymore. Carl Wilson was a very important Beach Boy, its very cool, they will have one or two songs, with him, I understand what
you're saying, new material, the bulk of songs will be new, and the old songs will be freshly reworked and overdubbed, or cut from
scratch with the old vocals flown on top. Most of the album will be reflecting the surviving Beach Boys as they are today,

If they cut several of their old hits, I'll be sick to my stomach, but that doesn't seem to be whats happening.
We are very lucky this is happening, Most of the old masters from the sixties can't do this because too many
band members have died, or they just refuse to do it. Simon and Garfunkel wont do it, The Beatles can't with both
Harrison and Lennon dead, and George Martin is like 86 years old. The WHO could but they wont. The Kinks could but
they wont. This is one of the last opportunities of our lives, to hear one of the great original bands cut something fresh.
Maybe the last time. The Stones or Pink Floyd or someone might do it one day, maybe. This is possibly the last fresh album
we will ever hear from the great bands of the sixties.

That is a fine realistic observation.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2012, 02:55:41 AM »

I don't get Al's quote about not being able to have Dennis' voice on the record. I seriously don't understand why they wouldn't consider re-recording "WIBNTLA".

Because the original is just awesome - reworking anything on it would be a complete f*cking disaster. Far, far, far worse than what happened with "Soul Searchin'".

Plus, you may have noted that two of the song's vocalists are now dead.

"Waves Of Love" was - was - scheduled to be on the physical reissue of Alan's solo album: there's more info on it in a recent issue of ESQ, as related by the co-composer. Carl's vocal is not a finished one, nor recorded in a studio environment.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:57:21 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2012, 03:05:57 AM »

I am slightly worried, about " A Mellow" album. Generally speaking for a whole album to flow, you still need a couple
upbeat things, even if its mostly ballads.

Don't worry about that. "Mellow" in Brian's world doesn't necessarily mean just ballads. IIRC he once described "Do it again" as a mellow rock song (which it is). Though I hope DIA won't be on the new album, I wouldn't be surprised if something like it would appear

I'm excited to hear Carl on "Waves of love". Hopefully it's a good tune. I don't know what people would have against it. It is practically new material. And it's certainly not a finished song they just put on the album. It will probably be re-recorded from scratch plus Carl's vocal. If they use "You're still a mystery" I hope they would re-work that one too.

I mentioned more than once that I'd like to hear them finish Dennis' "California slide" because I love that song. But I don't think they will do it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:05:20 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2012, 06:29:18 AM »

I am slightly worried, about " A Mellow" album. Generally speaking for a whole album to flow, you still need a couple
upbeat things, even if its mostly ballads.

Don't worry about that. "Mellow" in Brian's world doesn't necessarily mean just ballads. IIRC he once described "Do it again" as a mellow rock song (which it is). Though I hope DIA won't be on the new album, I wouldn't be surprised if something like it would appear

I'm excited to hear Carl on "Waves of love". Hopefully it's a good tune. I don't know what people would have against it. It is practically new material. And it's certainly not a finished song they just put on the album. It will probably be re-recorded from scratch plus Carl's vocal. If they use "You're still a mystery" I hope they would re-work that one too.

I mentioned more than once that I'd like to hear them finish Dennis' "California slide" because I love that song. But I don't think they will do it.

I am not that hip to the world of unreleased Beach Boy songs, but I have heard some of them.

Sometimes with big groups like this, fans assume, that the surviving Beach Boys, know all about all the Dennis Wilson or Carl Wilson
tracks in the archives. That may not be true. If there is some great unreleased track by Carl or Dennis Wilson, Somebody should get
a mix of it, and go through Channels, to make sure the surviving Beach Boys know whats available, if they are or were looking for
an archival track.

Case in point, just to illustrate by example. In the case of the Beatles reunion tracks, subpar, mono cassette
demos were given to the surviving Beatles by Yoko Ono. Actually there were additional songs, and the songs Yoko
gave them, existed in a cleaner form with less generations. None of the surviving Beatles were aware of that, at the time.
Years later cleaner versions of the reunion songs surfaced on the internet, and they were much better, they could have had
a lot more to work with. But the other Beatles weren't familiar with John Lennon bootlegs and demos.

So if there is some cool Carl Wilson track, or something or Dennis Wilson, don't assume , go through channels and  get a copy
to the right person, a manager or one of the engineers or band members. In the case of the Beach Boy tribe, there are so many
sharp people, Scott Bennet, Darian Sanja, the managers, Mark Linnett,maybe they do know, but maybe they don't. The Beatles didn't.

I have some friends in old hit groups, and I will say when did you do this song, or that song, and sometimes they have no idea
or recollection about stuff like that. I think the new Pink Floyd archive set, somebody found some song, no one was aware of until
the last minute. 

I keep hearing about this song,  She is a Mystery an unreleased Carl Wilson vocal, and that Dennis Wilson song
Wouldn't it be nice to live again. Are you sure the Beach Boys even know about those songs? It's probably too late now
but six weeks ago, or three months ago, somebody should have told them.They probably know, but maybe the song only
exists on a cassette or reel to reel with the vocal locked into the backing track, maybe the multis to some of these old
tracks don't exist anymore. There are a whole bunch of bands that were signed to ABC Dunhill/MCA and somehow all
the multitracks got lost or thrown away, and those bands like Steppenwolf and Three Dog Night, can't even do remixes of their
albums because the multis are long gone, even some of the first generation mixes. So maybe they cant use a Carl or Dennis
Wilson vocal because it only exists mixed into a copy tape. Maybe they are doing the Jardine song with Carl Wilson, because
it's the only one where they have the multis. I found a bunch of multitracks in a trash can in the garage by Nils Lofgren once.
I called MCA and returned them. They should have given me a reward or something.

Well I hope Brian Wilson likes Mike Love's lyrics, and stays enthused, would he really argue much with Love if he didn't like them?
or would he just get passive and wrap it up quickly. Love knows whats at stake here, he'll do a good job on this album, this is probably
the last time he and cousin Brian will do an album.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2012, 07:36:23 AM »

Alan Boyd has been compiling an inventory of the Brother archives for close on a decade. I think that answers your "do they even know ?" question.

PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2012, 08:08:42 AM »

Carl will be on the new album:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-beach-boys-20120225,0,3559719.story

(---sorry, I should have read the most recent posts first - this news is redundant. Which begs the obvious question: how does one remove one's post?)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:16:23 AM by PS » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2012, 08:41:36 AM »

I feel for all you people who are setting themselves up for a disappointment. Just about every album released from Pet Sounds on has a song that was from an earlier period. You Still Believe In Me, Smile songs on various albums, When Girls Get Together, Good Timin', Good Time, Susie Cincinnati, etc. are older songs used for their current album of the time. Why would you expect anything different with the new album? Come on folks, be realistic here. I know, we know more than the band, itself. I get it! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2012, 09:03:39 AM »

Congratulations on telling us what we all knew anyway. Your point is ?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 25, 2012, 09:14:07 AM »

Read the thread and you'll see exactly what my point is. People pissing and moaning that every song should be brand spanking new. That ain't gonna happen in Beach Boys world. Why argue this stuff. If you know your Beach Boys history, you know that there is always a good chance of old songs being used on new albums.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2012, 09:47:49 AM »

Maybe I'm just having a bad day or something, but some days are just worse than others when reading this board. I find it frustrating with the history of this band that we argue about this kind of stuff. These guys are "The Beach Boys", but we argue over seeing surfboards associated with them, or a beach or the sun on a cover of an album. We argue over song names like "Waves Of Love" being cliche, etc.. Apparently, the band is embracing this image. Geez, they were signing and selling surfboards with The Smile Sessions Box Set. It has been this way since 1976, over 35 years, now. We keep trying to make them into something that they are not. All I'm hoping for is that they give their best efforts for the new album and the tour.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »

Read the thread and you'll see exactly what my point is. People pissing and moaning that every song should be brand spanking new. That ain't gonna happen in Beach Boys world. Why argue this stuff. If you know your Beach Boys history, you know that there is always a good chance of old songs being used on new albums.

That wasn't the point I was making at all. I think everyone knows the album will feature some material familiar to "collectors." My point was simply that I would prefer the album be an all-new recording, with only the current lineup performing. No ghostly, edited in vocals, please.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 25, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »

Carl was a very big part of their sound and a well respected band member. I suppose it is their way to honor him and include his countenance in the reunion. Just speculating here. Bedsides, he was quite alive when those vocals were performed. Nothing ghostly about it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #271 on: February 25, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »

No moaning here!

I think the whole 50th is going great. Who'd have believed it. SMiLE. The boys back togerher. A tour. A new album, which sounds very interesting judging by the info we have so far.

Never thought we'd have even one of those things.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 25, 2012, 01:47:41 PM »

That wasn't the point I was making at all. I think everyone knows the album will feature some material familiar to "collectors." My point was simply that I would prefer the album be an all-new recording, with only the current lineup performing. No ghostly, edited in vocals, please.
My point entirely, I'm not moaning I welcome any new album, exactly as they want it, Just my personal preference for a new song cycle.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 25, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »

Alan Boyd has been compiling an inventory of the Brother archives for close on a decade. I think that answers your "do they even know ?" question.

Yeah I saw him in the long SmiLe documentary, did that come with the box set? I only have the two disc which I love.
He seemed like a sharp and dedicated guy, I guess he would have access to get ahold of the band? He and those
other guys all seemed like good archivists, They really have good people around them. The Darian Sanja, Scott Bennett
crowd, Mark Linnett, Alan Boyd, the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson are  looked after, like an American Icon or treasure now.

I am quite pleased how while still preserving some privacy, all these people, seem to help get info to the fans about
recordings and projects. You too Andrew, thanks for maintaining the groups privacy and dignity, but getting us some
good info.

We are starting to get info every 24-48 hours, When is the kick off date in New Orleans 3 months? I bet we get the single
in advance of the show, I'm just talking out my ass, but I have a feeling they are all inspired and want the single out
at least by the kickoff date, They have to be a little further along than they tell us in the press, I can't stop blabbing the
whole thing is so great!

Andrew please explain one thing, Soul Searchin was a debacle why ? it sounded good on GIOMH, are you saying
Wilson and company scrubbed some BBoys vocals to make it just a duet for the solo album, is that why you think its
blasphemy? The Soul Searchin and She's a Mystery boots I heard, sounded rough, if Wilson wanted to include a song
with his brother, why couldn't he leave on the other vocals also? or is it they scrubbed a good backing track?

If Mystery is that good, maybe they are doing that one also, and Jardine neglected to mention it, because it's not his song.

I'm blabbing too much, always better to listen rather than talk, especially me not being an expert, but the whole thing
is so damn exciting, a new Beach Boys album in 2012 who would have thought that!

When you type Darian Sanja, and do your spell check before posting, it comes up Sanka, astronaut coffee!!!!!
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: February 25, 2012, 02:57:01 PM »

My point entirely, I'm not moaning I welcome any new album, exactly as they want it, Just my personal preference for a new song cycle.
Same here. I will be happy with anything the boys put out, and I am well aware of their pedigree, often finishing older songs for a new album.

The only thing that has me worried is the choice of "Do it Again" as a lead-off promo (hoping it will be on the album only as a bonus track). There is also a history here - Postcard from California is riddled with remakes and Al seems to still be in that mindset; the last album we got from the Boys was Stars and Stripes, which was all remakes.

If the group wants to use a Carl vocal, that's a-OK with me, especially since it is a previously unheard song. I am actually a big fan of "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love." I just hope they don't go back to the well of old songs and old ideas too often for the new record.

They already led off an album with "Do it Again," and that album was 20/20. See my point?

- B00ts
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx