gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:07:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055775 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2012, 06:37:23 AM »

Dude, that is SO COOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2012, 06:43:57 AM »

Right!? It looks much better in person....I'm still in awe when I see it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 24, 2012, 07:10:24 AM »

I don't get the Indian on horseback logo and the Beach Boys.  Is that the original Brother Records logo?   I think they can do better than that today.
Wall Angry Thud Thud Thud

Right!?

My father, a great artist, made me a collage for Christmas: he assembled tiny pieces of cut up $ bills to form the Brother logo. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw it. If I could figure out how to post pictures to the board I'd definitely show you all...it's pretty incredible. I love that logo so much.

So do I.. dont we all.

Here's that piece of art my father made me for Christmas. It's assembled with incredibly tiny cut up pieces of dollar bills. (thanks Alholio71 for the uploading instructions!)

Gorgeous , I now want one made out of old £1 notes
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:11:28 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 24, 2012, 07:29:54 AM »

I don't get the Indian on horseback logo and the Beach Boys.  Is that the original Brother Records logo?   I think they can do better than that today.
Wall Angry Thud Thud Thud

Right!?

My father, a great artist, made me a collage for Christmas: he assembled tiny pieces of cut up $ bills to form the Brother logo. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw it. If I could figure out how to post pictures to the board I'd definitely show you all...it's pretty incredible. I love that logo so much.

So do I.. dont we all.

Here's that piece of art my father made me for Christmas. It's assembled with incredibly tiny cut up pieces of dollar bills. (thanks Alholio71 for the uploading instructions!)

Gorgeous , I now want one made out of old £1 notes

I want one made out of new £1 coins!

Seriously, that is tremendous. Worth its weight in, well, dollar bills at least.

“We live in divisive times.”
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 24, 2012, 08:37:10 AM »

That is seriously the coolest thing I have ever seen. Your father should be very proud.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2012, 08:41:51 AM »

rab,

Can I use that for my avatar? That is super-freaking cool! Well-done Dad! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 24, 2012, 08:51:36 AM »

rab,

Can I use that for my avatar? That is super-freaking cool! Well-done Dad! Smiley

most definitely!

@Amanda: He was really happy with it! I can't even imagine the amount of hours it took to make it....but it was well worth it I think!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2012, 09:13:50 AM »

This piece of art is amazing! Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »

rab,

most definitely!

@Amanda: He was really happy with it! I can't even imagine the amount of hours it took to make it....but it was well worth it I think!
Thank you, muchly!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2012, 05:33:50 PM »

Beautiful, I would buy one in a second

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-beach-boys-20120225,0,3559719.story

New album information. And some silliness.

"Waves of Love" seems to be another title we can add to the list -- and an already recorded Carl vocal.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2012, 06:43:45 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-beach-boys-20120225,0,3559719.story

"Waves of Love" seems to be another title we can add to the list -- and an already recorded Carl vocal.

And then a stunned, angry silence filled the message board...
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2012, 06:57:12 PM »

"I'd like to reach back into the catalog a ways and go back to 'Lonely Sea' and 'Farmer's Daughter' and esoteric things that people haven't heard in a long time or ever," Jardine said. "That would be lovely. "
Good

Jardine said with a sad smile. "I wish there was a way to get Dennis on there too."
Not so good - btw Al, there is.

It's going to be included on the new album in a song called "Waves of Love."
now he's just taking the ....

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »

OK now I am getting excited, OK we have confirmation Carl Wilson is included on the one song, I think
that's nice. Anybody ever heard the tune?

Now yes that artwork, is great with the dollar bills, kudo's to your dad for being cool enough to do that,
and to you for being cool enough to share a photo of it.

Now back to the album there is another quote yesterday, where Love said all the tracks are done, but
this conflicts with Wilson's statement the other day that , they still need to write a few more tunes. So
Love was in te studio today or (whenever the article was written) writing lyrics, that's probably what Wilson
meant, that the tracks were down, but they need to write lyrics to few songs. So we also know, that There
will be a couple or three new Wilson/Love cowrites, but did anybody ever doubt that?

Now we are    hearing how mellow the new album sounds, and that's cool, but putting on my objective hat
I have to believe DIA and one other song will rock a bit, you can have say, a dozen songs, and ten of them
can be mellow, but you still need say two that rock or are uptempo, I mean there is no rule, but there is,
to maintain interest objectively, I just assume they have already considered that issue.

So I think AGD can step in pretty soon, and tell us more. We know a lot, Jardine confirmed Carl will be singing!

someone should do a synopsis of everything we know, but by the time its done, it will probably be out of date!

my blood smells the first single in about six or eight weeks! As soon as Wilson signs off on these new Love lyrics
they can bang out all the vocals to half a dozen songs in two weeks don't you think? Apparently, they have already
laid down vocals for at least a few.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the final new Beach Boys studio album, is almost upon us.

This is such a great thing, for them, for us, for the label, for the tour people, the audience at the shows,

Has anybody heard clips of the album or heard playback in the studio?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »

Vintage, I would calm down. I doubt AGD -- or anyone outside of the principals -- has heard much from the new record. I'm sure we'll know more in a couple of months. Waves of Love is an old Al tune (aren't they all) that he wanted to put on Postcard from California.

Speaking of which, why the weird vibes about the song? Is Al not supposed to get a tune on the record?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:45:11 PM by Wirestone » Logged
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2012, 09:21:19 PM »

Speaking of which, why the weird vibes about the song?

just the title - could you fit any more BB cliches in 3 words! - I'm surprised Mike never used it for an album!  Grin
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2012, 09:33:53 PM »

Speaking of which, why the weird vibes about the song?

just the title - could you fit any more BB cliches in 3 words! - I'm surprised Mike never used it for an album!  Grin

Heh. True enough. Matt Jardine posted about it last summer:

Just got back from Jeff Peters' studio where we did overdubs on Al Jardine's original song "Waves of Love". A rough demo version from '95 is currently on his Postcards CD but this new recording is KILLER!! Mike Kowalski on skins, Ed Carter on bass, Mike Meros on B3, Richie Cannata on baritone sax, Jeff Peters & Randy Mitchel on guitars, Al & Matt Jardine & Carl Wilson on vocals. I'm really excited about this "new" song.

Sounds like it was written during preparations for the 95 reunion album and that Carl did some work on it then. Who knows if this new instrumental track survives -- I'd love to have those guys on BB reunion record, even if it's for only one track.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Jardine-Music/138373012847174
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 24, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »

Has this been picked up from the LA times story above?

"Their Grammy appearance did put the band back in front of the public but it's hard to tell if anyone was put off by the obvious lip-synching."

WTF! First article on the grammies to claim that isn't it?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2012, 09:37:47 PM »

That's what I referred to as the silliness.

To the Times' credit, their author didn't say that. It was a person they were quoting, and the Beach Boys were allowed to forcefully deny it.

FWIW, though, I'm sure the guy was talking about Jeff singing for Brian, which did look a lot like lip syncing if you don't know how the BW stage setup works.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2012, 09:41:42 PM »

Vintage, I would calm down. I doubt AGD -- or anyone outside of the principals -- has heard much from the new record. I'm sure we'll know more in a couple of months. Waves of Love is an old Al tune (aren't they all) that he wanted to put on Postcard from California.

Speaking of which, why the weird vibes about the song? Is Al not supposed to get a tune on the record?

Well I hope it's a better tune than, uh, Don't Fight The Sea, which although I love hearing the Beach Boys
sing, it does sound, kind of like a dorky Terry Jacks song. Maybe it's just me, and whenever I hear the words
Terry Jacks, I think of Seasons in the Sun, and hide in my room for two days until the sickness goes away! LOL

I gather, the reason people diss that, is because there is strong sentiment here, to include the Carl Wilson vocal
from the song "She is a Mystery" instead.

The finished "soul searchin on GIOMH sounded great to me, much better, than the lo fi demos I heard of it, I don't
know if that is a spruced up Paley session or what, but I like Soul Searchin and Desert Drive, and the song co written
with Van Dyke Parks,

Anyway, yeah great, Jardine gets one song, on there, Just a thought, Bear in mind, if, if, they do kind of a medley
suite thing on the end of the album, maybe they will do some editing Ala Abbey Road, and  there will be several short
pieces all edited together, Long Story short, you would get maybe 16-17 songs, because several were just snippets.
pieced together, maybe one verse only, or just several pieces that are only less than two minutes, each, and maybe the
Carl Wilson bridge is the piece they really want.

But what does the original Jardine song sound like, how would it compare to say, Don't Fight The Sea. There is just something
about that song, I Like the harmonies, the sentiment is OK, I like the sound effects, I think the track really sounds dated
maybe that's it. I just worked on a thing, with old backing tracks, and by the time we got through with the overdubs it
sounded new. Don;t Fight the Sea sounds like a 1980 track.

I should calm down I know. But this place is a repository and message board for Beach Boy fanatics, and if we can't talk about
the album here, where do I go!!!!

Somehow the cards are right, this album is just happening with good vibes, Pet Sounds maybe not, but they are so positive
and Carl Wilson is included.

I am slightly worried, about " A Mellow" album. Generally speaking for a whole album to flow, you still need a couple
upbeat things, even if its mostly ballads. I think these guys are aware of that kind of stuff, and have about 700 paid
and unpaid advisers, record producers, engineers, session men, the record label, wives, roadies, friends, managers.

My gut tells me this album will be the best thing they have done since their heyday, circa 64-75 or 77 whatever.

My observation, working together, is inspiring Brian Wilson, more than at any point, in many years, and his illnesses
have been treated, and are largely in remission or controlled with medication.

Seeing as how Danny Hutton is still a drinker, I wonder if people like that are allowed down to the studio.

I'm a much bigger fan of lyrics by Van Dyke Parks and others versus Mike Love, but at this late date, I think Mike
Love will do fine, Love is competent, if not superb. and I should calm down, or maybe you guys should get more excited.

The album is gonna be good, all the signs and vibes point to it. I wish it was five years earlier when their voices were
a bit younger, but they still sound good, Johnston is the only one I haven't heard sing in recent years, I cant pick him
out that much on DIA or the Grammy performance, what I could hear he seemed OK, and its gonna rock, I sincerely hope
they get the cotton out of their ears, and give us at least one upbeat song besides DIA remake.  

I was only a moderate Beach Boys fan, I admired them, and their sixties work, and Some of Wilson's solo work, but I am
recognizing, that they were one of the top five bands of alltime and to have one more album is just so cool, Smile and a new album!

I think it's telling they are with Capitol and working at an old studio where they worked in the sixties, even with the death of
most studios, due to protools,, there are still tons of studios in LA and the fact they are revisiting an old studio, they want that
"sound" I bet they achieve a great album in Spades, I hope so, for their sake and ours, this last album will go a long way to
reminding people and restoring their historical legacy as one of the great bands.

warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2012, 10:20:18 PM »

I think the Beach Boys should avoid using old material like "waves of love" and "do it again" as much as humanly possible. I'm up for some new music.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »

I think the Beach Boys should avoid using old material like "waves of love" and "do it again" as much as humanly possible. I'm up for some new music.

Well, "Waves of Love" has never been released or heard, has it?

Big difference between that and something like "Do It Again," which has not only been released before, but recorded multiple times!

Realistically, too, we're looking at a pretty quick turnaround for this album. Maybe five or six months total. I think we have to expect a certain portion of the tracks to be previously written (but hopefully not officially released) material.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 24, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »

I don't get Al's quote about not being able to have Dennis' voice on the record. I seriously don't understand why they wouldn't consider re-recording "WIBNTLA".

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »

I don't get Al's quote about not being able to have Dennis' voice on the record. I seriously don't understand why they wouldn't consider re-recording "WIBNTLA".
What do we actually know about WIBNTLA? I hear the title thrown around a lot but I really don't know anything about the song. Has anyone heard it?
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2012, 10:33:45 PM »

I'm hoping for a Rio Grande style suite on the new record!! Tongue Tongue
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx