gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:01:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055843 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2012, 01:03:19 PM »

As to the admission by Mike Love, that, YES, the new album will feature some old material. Can we clarify, old material,
which has never been heard in public, or reworkings of old B Boys hits like Do It Again, or reworkings of hits by other 60's
artists or what ?

The way I phrased the question would make it seems that he's referring to previously unreleased material being given a second look. Hopefully we see songs like "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" and "Still A Mystery". At least, those are the two I'm hoping for the most.

WIBNTLA just wouldn't fit, if you ask me. Too much of a different era. It should appear on an archival release, not a reunion record produced by Joe Thomas. I would really prefer that any use of earlier material be re-recorded, so the album would have a cohesive sound.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »

I don't get the Indian on horseback logo and the Beach Boys.  Is that the original Brother Records logo?   I think they can do better than that today.
Wall Angry Thud Thud Thud

Right!?

My father, a great artist, made me a collage for Christmas: he assembled tiny pieces of cut up $ bills to form the Brother logo. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw it. If I could figure out how to post pictures to the board I'd definitely show you all...it's pretty incredible. I love that logo so much.

So do I.. dont we all.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »

WIBNTLA just wouldn't fit, if you ask me. Too much of a different era. It should appear on an archival release, not a reunion record produced by Joe Thomas. I would really prefer that any use of earlier material be re-recorded, so the album would have a cohesive sound.
We have absolutely no idea what this new album will sound like, though. Who knows? Maybe with the reunion roster performing the song and someone other than Dennis singing lead, it might fit in just fine.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2012, 12:20:04 AM »

Well as a few people have noted already. There is certainly some speculation in this particular thread.
But so what. My guess is, the general consensus that's building. will turn out to be correct or nearly so.

7-9 new songs. Perhaps one or two archival tracks, spruced up with new overdubs, featuring Carl Wilson
on vocals. Maybe a similar archival track featuring Dennis Wilson in some way. Probably the DIA remake.
Although Wilson we are expecting to write or cowrite the bulk of the material, there will most certainly be
a couple of Mike Love co-writes, and perhaps one each from Jardine, Johnston and Marks.. at least one cowrite
each. Probably

We have heard that the songs, flow into one another, in a way that reminds one of Smile or Pet Sounds or
TLOS. that there is if not a full blown medley, some sort of musical suite that is intended to end the album,
At least according to Love, at this early, intermediate stage of making the album.

We know they need to write at least two or three more songs, perhaps more. But that several new songs
are both written and recorded. Two songs were about done, and several more are partially done...

Wilson and Love didn't shoot down the New York Times reporter, when the reporter suggested, Pet Sounds or
SMile had some commonality with the new stuff. or new album.

Love said there is one song already recorded as good as anything they have ever done is his opinion. Bruce Johnston
raved about one new song, he kept playing over and over. Love admitted yesterday? that there would be some archival
or old material included on the album. We know there are sessions coming up shortly, where they expect to work on through
to the finish, or at least close, at least to the mixing stage.

People are speculating on the Wouldn't it Be nice to Live again tune, ( I have no idea what that song is) and the Mystery song
which apparently is a  well known bootleg, with a Carl Wilson vocal. I've heard a boot of that, what I heard wasn't so great, but
I also heard a boot of "Soul Searchin" on the same tape, so maybe there is a cleaner version I never heard.

So that part is a little speculative, but it's based on deep beach boy fans, and their knowledge of the archival material.

We even know, that the album title could well be "celebration" so some of the stuff is speculation, but mostly it's fact or
educated guessing. More than just wild fantasy.

I mean the Beach Boys are making an album, they are using a few old songs, from the archives, the songs are recorded and
arranged in a way that they dovetail into one another, there is a suite on the end.

What's the difference between a medley and a suite ?? Anybody?

To me suite means, something written and designed from the get go to be heard as one piece, and medley is more like
an arrangement of pre existing songs,

So have we learned anything today? I know realistically, it's time to take a chill pill, its gonna be a few months, and plans
change in the middle of albums all the time. A songs gets written at the last minute displacing something else, or upon review
a different idea comes to the fore, but I think we are starting to get a sketch of it. But with music, until you hear something it's
all just so much blather isn't it.

RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2012, 12:30:52 AM »

Anyone unfamiliar with WIBNTLA needs to buy Adam's CD - in fact  anyone who hasn't needs to anyway!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NJWTH0/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1329985913&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:33:03 AM by RickD » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2012, 01:11:27 AM »

I've never heard Adam's version. I'm actually purposely preventing myself from listening to it. I remember reading Adam saying they changed the key and played a different guitar solo to replace the apparently extremely simplistic placeholder solo on the track. I want to hear the BBs version fresh before I hear a cover.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »

Well it's not on youtube and there are no samples on the link to buy the album. If its never been booted
how, did he get it to do a cover?

Alan Boyd from the SMile sessions is in a Beach Boys cover band, do I understand that correctly?
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2012, 03:15:30 AM »

Sometimes I wonder if the Beach Boys is a five piece rock band, or a trough, where hundreds of
ancillary people feed.

Did anybody message Mike Love today, call him in the booth, let us hear 30 seconds off his cell phone
on the playback.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2012, 03:29:10 AM »

Well it's not on youtube and there are no samples on the link to buy the album. If its never been booted

Alan Boyd from the SMile sessions is in a Beach Boys cover band, do I understand that correctly?

Adam and Alan are friends, so I guess that's how.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2012, 03:39:52 AM »

Have a poke around on his webpage - http://www.adammarsland.com/bio.html -  you'll find the good stuff like this:

"(Adam Marsland's Chaos Band) mounted an ambitious tribute to Beach Boys Carl and Dennis Wilson with Beach Boys archivist (and co-producer of THE SMILE SESSIONS) Alan Boyd. This drew the attention of Beach Boy Al Jardine, who appeared with the band at a few shows that year."

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2012, 04:50:56 AM »

Hmmm suites and medleys. While the above definition is very useful I would say that a medley usually uses partial songs rather than daisy-chaining complete songs.

So you might, for example, get the intro and verse of Song A merging into the chorus of Song B, a verse from Song C and then an instrumental fadeout courtesy of Song D.

A suite is certainly designed to go together, but you can have existing songs adapted for a suite. However the crucial difference with a medley would be that you'd be using the complete songs rather than fragments.

An example might be the opening of the 3rd side of BWPS (I'm In Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop) which plays like a medley...some partial song ideas melded into one track. Whereas TLOS is songs brought together to make a suite.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 23, 2012, 06:06:59 AM »

I don't think the whole album will have songs flowing into one another.  I know Brian said that, but I think he was talking about the ending bit that Mike was talking about.  I wouldn't get too excited about the differences between a medley and a suite...these guys aren't trained musicians.  Medley and suite and songs flowing into one another likely mean the same thing to Mike and Brian.  Remember, Brian called BWPS a rock opera, when it is certainly not.  The ending sounds really interesting, whatever it is, but I don't think the whole album is going to be that way...just the end 'little bit of a suite' thing (until there's no more album).

And in the end
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love...you make.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:11:28 AM by LostArt » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2012, 06:22:34 AM »

I don't think the whole album will have songs flowing into one another.  I know Brian said that, but I think he was talking about the ending bit that Mike was talking about.  I wouldn't get too excited about the differences between a medley and a suite...these guys aren't trained musicians.  Medley and suite and songs flowing into one another likely mean the same thing to Mike and Brian.  Remember, Brian called BWPS a rock opera, when it is certainly not.  The ending sounds really interesting, whatever it is, but I don't think the whole album is going to be that way...just the end 'little bit of a suite' thing (until there's no more album).

And in the end
The Love you take

The modular approach, stimulated by Lenny Waronker, worked nicely on BW 1988, not so nicely on Imagination. The idea of continuum worked fine in BWPS and TLOS. However, there is no obligation or need to release a product in that form. I'm sure someone over BW camp thinks that this helps portray Brian as a serious musician and that's why they keep doing it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2012, 06:33:59 AM »

Or maybe, Brian is just into that approach, right now. Musically, he does think on his own too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 23, 2012, 07:21:27 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Brian saw the new album as the Beach Boys' ABBEY ROAD (as in the last album) and figured he'd end it with all the little snippets/feels he has laying around. As long as the "suite" isn't a Beach Boys greatest hits medley!
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 23, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »

And in the end
The Love you take

The modular approach, stimulated by Lenny Waronker, worked nicely on BW 1988, not so nicely on Imagination. The idea of continuum worked fine in BWPS and TLOS. However, there is no obligation or need to release a product in that form. I'm sure someone over BW camp thinks that this helps portray Brian as a serious musician and that's why they keep doing it.

That's fascinating. We all have our own view. The Warner staff producers were good. I Miss the way Warnner used to have it together.
I don't know if Brian Wilson is a musical genius in today's world, or some sort of product or puppet, manipulated by the solo band
or various advisors, He said the songs all flow into one another, and we have a caveat, from one poster, who thinks they mean just
the end of the album, not the whole thing. I'm not being disrespectful, I really don't know what the truth is, Did Brian Wilson compose
TLOS and put it together like that? or did Scott Bennett do it, Heck I don't know.

Something I do notice, is Brian Wilson seems more engaged in these recent interviews, he seems less maudlin,  more articulate,
he seems happy about the Beach Boy thing, maybe just having the Beach Boys, being back at Capitol, having the support of the label
The wives seem happy in the DIA video,  this seems to be an enjoyable project, several people are claiming  Wilson has written some
classic material. I don't know. Maybe we can all go down to the studio and we can watch them work for a few hours! (HA!)

He said the songs all flow into each other until you run out of album! HAH!

I don't really want to hear a record they made at 84, 70 is cool, with modern medicine, 70 is the new 58, Love and Jardine look
pretty healthy, DIA sounds good, but I am sure this will be the last album, maybe if this is a big hit, the label will insist on a follow up
but I doubt it, I think everybody see's this as the final Beach Boys album. Can somebody give us a report on what they are hearing
at the studio, there must be 200 people hanging around in there, from the look of the video, can somebody tell us what it
sounds like.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 23, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »

The wives looked happy in the "Do It Again" video?   I didn't think Melinda Wilson looked so happy....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 23, 2012, 11:58:31 AM »

The wives looked happy in the "Do It Again" video?   I didn't think Melinda Wilson looked so happy....
Wondering if ex-wives like Marylin were allowed to visit?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 23, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »

Well she appeared, happier, than I had seen her in other previous video's. Perhaps she is not
a particularly happy woman in general I don't know. Perhaps she is the Yoko of Surf rock, I don't know.

But you know, a sesssion, where the wives are in the video, and all the backslapping, and smiling and
it just seems to be a happy time. I realize the footage was manipulated with editing, but you still get a sense
that everyone is pleased.

I have trouble imagining a session with so many people, it reminds of long long ago in the golden age of rock
when things like that used to happen more. Mike Love and the Beatles with Donovan and the Maharishi comes
to mind. Three Dog Night sessions used to be like that, with seven hundred people coming in and out all day.
The studio certainly seems spacious,   I thought that was the big room downstairs at Capitol, with all those large
baffles, thats the only room I've ever seen thats enormous like that, but apparently that was Ocean Way, which
I have never seen that I remember.
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2012, 04:56:32 AM »

http://beachboysnews.blogspot.com/2012/02/424-brian-wilson-and-beach-boys-reunion.html

And Love likes what he's hearing.

"It's sounding really good in the studio," he says. "The tracks are pretty much done. We're still working on finishing up all the vocals, but it's sounding fantastic so far."

To Wilson's ears, "The word for this new album is mellow. It's the '60s revisited, kind of a dip back into the past, but it retains a little bit of the 2000s, too. So all in all, it's a very good album."

My guess for the album title: The Beach Boys - In A Mellow Tone
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2012, 05:10:48 AM »

[He said the songs all flow into one another, and we have a caveat, from one poster, who thinks they mean just
the end of the album, not the whole thing. I'm not being disrespectful, I really don't know what the truth is,

I don't know what the truth is either.  But why would Mike make a point to say that there is a "little bit of a suite that's meant to end the album", if the whole album was going to be that way?  I'm looking forward to whatever they decide to release.

my favorite part of the interview
Q: Any theremin on there?
Wilson: That I can't answer. Mike, what do you think?
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2012, 05:25:58 AM »

http://beachboysnews.blogspot.com/2012/02/424-brian-wilson-and-beach-boys-reunion.html

"It's sounding really good in the studio," he says. "The tracks are pretty much done. We're still working on finishing up all the vocals, but it's sounding fantastic so far."

To Wilson's ears, "The word for this new album is mellow. It's the '60s revisited, kind of a dip back into the past, but it retains a little bit of the 2000s, too. So all in all, it's a very good album."

Thanks for posting!  Sounds good.

My guess is...probably not. Wink
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2012, 05:36:21 AM »

No. I won't enter Kenny G. hell. Not me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:42:31 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2012, 06:05:38 AM »

I don't think anyone here mentioned entering Kenny G, Don. I know it's a Friday and all, but some things are best left unsaid  Grin
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:06:48 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2012, 06:34:01 AM »

I don't get the Indian on horseback logo and the Beach Boys.  Is that the original Brother Records logo?   I think they can do better than that today.
Wall Angry Thud Thud Thud

Right!?

My father, a great artist, made me a collage for Christmas: he assembled tiny pieces of cut up $ bills to form the Brother logo. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw it. If I could figure out how to post pictures to the board I'd definitely show you all...it's pretty incredible. I love that logo so much.

So do I.. dont we all.

Here's that piece of art my father made me for Christmas. It's assembled with incredibly tiny cut up pieces of dollar bills. (thanks Alholio71 for the uploading instructions!)

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx