gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:48:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055954 times)
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2012, 12:54:56 AM »

1) Is there going to be a rotation of Bass Players on the tour ??
2) Who is playing Bass on the new album ?
or 3) Have the backing tracks already been laid down ??

1) yeah - Carol Kaye/James Jamerson/Carol Kaye/Bob Lizik/Carol Kaye. Carol will also be playing drums, guitar, keys, tannerin and mallets
2) see above.
3) Some have.

Please Tell us more Andrew, about any backing tracks, songs, overdubs, vocals. anything about the recordings
that doesn't violate or go over the line of any confidences, or bean spilling. Tell us what you can, without upsetting you're friends
Nicko1234
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2012, 01:34:12 AM »

Celebration would be a sensible if uninspired title. All of the promotion for this album should obviously be focused on the 50 year anniversary and the reunion element meaning that the style of music contained within would be less important and they could leave the fun in the sun stuff behind.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2012, 01:49:19 AM »

1) Is there going to be a rotation of Bass Players on the tour ??
2) Who is playing Bass on the new album ?
or 3) Have the backing tracks already been laid down ??

1) yeah - Carol Kaye/James Jamerson/Carol Kaye/Bob Lizik/Carol Kaye. Carol will also be playing drums, guitar, keys, tannerin and mallets
2) see above.
3) Some have.

Please Tell us more Andrew, about any backing tracks, songs, overdubs, vocals. anything about the recordings
that doesn't violate or go over the line of any confidences, or bean spilling. Tell us what you can, without upsetting you're friends

I think AGD's already going to have upset Carol Kaye by breaking her confidence regarding her upcoming work with the Beach Lads.  Bet she never talks to him again!   LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »

I also hope they manage to find and include at least one quality 'new' Carl lead vocal (not Soul Searchin, already released)

But it's not the same "Soul Searchin'" as the BB's one, since Carl's middle-eight was replaced by Brian's lead and there are no BB backing vox. I'd dearly love to see the version with Carl singing the whole song over the BB's backing vocals given a proper release.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »

I wouldn't mind if the cover of the album is a variation of this slick, simple look:

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »

That's by far the better anniversary logo than this other one which bases on Dean Torrence's famous Beach Boys logo. Hope they'll stick with this, but the official tour shirt has the Torrence logo + 50
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:05:17 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2012, 06:28:11 PM »

Hey, guys! Mike just responded to a question I left on his Facebook page regarding whether the new record would be all newly written material or if we'd see some old unreleased material reworked for the album. Here's his response:

There will be a combination of both to look forward to. Really excited about some new stuff we are working on however.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2012, 07:11:16 PM »

I'm surprised whoever is behind Mike's FB page is as responsive as they are.  It's not really Mike is it?
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »

I'm surprised whoever is behind Mike's FB page is as responsive as they are.  It's not really Mike is it?
I think it is him. To be honest, whoever is behind the page is not really that responsive. I see tons of wall posts that aren't replied to. It seems like Mike is a pretty busy guy hence he wouldn't have the time to go through and respond to everything that is written on his page.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2012, 07:26:37 PM »

I don't get the Indian on horseback logo and the Beach Boys.  Is that the original Brother Records logo?   I think they can do better than that today.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »

I don't get the Indian on horseback logo and the Beach Boys.  Is that the original Brother Records logo?   I think they can do better than that today.
Wall Angry Thud Thud Thud

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »

Wall Angry Thud Thud Thud

Right!?

My father, a great artist, made me a collage for Christmas: he assembled tiny pieces of cut up $ bills to form the Brother logo. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw it. If I could figure out how to post pictures to the board I'd definitely show you all...it's pretty incredible. I love that logo so much.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »

I think it is him. To be honest, whoever is behind the page is not really that responsive. I see tons of wall posts that aren't replied to. It seems like Mike is a pretty busy guy hence he wouldn't have the time to go through and respond to everything that is written on his page.

It's definitely not him. No way, no how.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »

It's definitely not him. No way, no how.
Regardless of whether it's him or not, at least we have official confirmation now that they're looking at old material and reworking it for the new record.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:35 PM »

If it's not him, then how is it official?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2012, 11:24:20 PM »

It's Mike's official FB page. You think Brian checks out the Bloo every day ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »

Hey, guys! Mike just responded to a question I left on his Facebook page regarding whether the new record would be all newly written material or if we'd see some old unreleased material reworked for the album. Here's his response:

There will be a combination of both to look forward to. Really excited about some new stuff we are working on however.

Two points, first, classic rock guys responding to email messages, they do. I have had many responses from, people
similar to Mike Love. Similar in stature and time frame. Whether I ever met them in the biz, or never had, I have had
responses from BBoys, Beatle people, various people. But I only ask the type of questions that you asked. Hey is this
unreleased song coming out, are you working on an album. I don't ask personal questions. Other than, hope things are
cool for you, or something simple.

As to the admission by Mike Love, that, YES, the new album will feature some old material. Can we clarify, old material,
which has never been heard in public, or reworkings of old B Boys hits like Do It Again, or reworkings of hits by other 60's
artists or what ?

What I'm trying to say, previously unreleased B Boys songs, would be great, something akin to Soul Searchin or She Says
that she needs me.  But remakes of old Jan and Dean hits or Johnny Rivers or remakes of classic Beach Boys hits, I don't want
that, Do it Again is ok, but the last thing I wanna hear is a 1/3 or half the album is remakes of Good Vibrations or Don't Worry Baby.
Wat the heck for? that will be on the live Celebration DVD anyway.

Andrew you can step in anytime, with a tidbit, about what "old Material" means, in the context of the new BBoy's album.

My personal hunch after reading,Love's comments, it means at least one song featuring Carl Wilson's vocals Will be reworked
maybe two songs. And a couple of cool B Boys tracks that were never officially released in the past. Combined with X number
of newer songs. That's my interpretation of Love's remarks. But that's just what would make sense to me, who knows. Andrew
probably knows, if he spills the beans too soon, he would jeopardize his contacts.

Maybe it's just too soon, and nobody actually has the answers yet. Maybe they have 17 tracks on the drawing board, Old, new,
and eventually a dozen cuts will make the album. If they do two or three extra, they can use them as exclusive bonus tracks, or some
future compilation album, featuring two brand new songs in 2016~!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:45:58 PM by vintagemusic » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2012, 11:44:12 PM »

If it's not him, then how is it official?

It can still be official even when he has his "people" run it for him.  Considering they've uploaded some pictures from the Grammys and recording sessions that only people from the "inside" would have access to--it's clear that it's not a fake page run by some fan.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2012, 04:03:52 AM »

As to the admission by Mike Love, that, YES, the new album will feature some old material. Can we clarify, old material,
which has never been heard in public, or reworkings of old B Boys hits like Do It Again, or reworkings of hits by other 60's
artists or what ?

The way I phrased the question would make it seems that he's referring to previously unreleased material being given a second look. Hopefully we see songs like "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" and "Still A Mystery". At least, those are the two I'm hoping for the most.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2012, 04:32:00 AM »

[edit.. wrong thread]

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2012, 04:34:05 AM »

Maybe the thread title could be changed to New Album Speculation (as it rolls out...)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2012, 05:56:34 AM »

Hopefully he's not talking abouzt re-recording old hits. That would ruin the whole thing for me.
How's about asking him that ? That woud be interesting to know, because as far as I have seen, most, if not all Beach Boys fans would hate re-recordings of already released material
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:59:07 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »

Hopefully he's not talking abouzt re-recording old hits. That would ruin the whole thing for me.
How's about asking him that ? That woud be interesting to know, because as far as I have seen, most, if not all Beach Boys fans would hate re-recordings of already released material

If we get any re-recordings of old songs, I could see them doing one tops, likely "Do It Again". Any more than that would be a waste of CD space.

Say the record is 12 tracks; one remake of a classic tune, two-three remakes of unreleased Dennis/Carl songs and eight or so totally new compositions. I could definitely live with that.

b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »

artists or what ?

The way I phrased the question would make it seems that he's referring to previously unreleased material being given a second look. Hopefully we see songs like "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" and "Still A Mystery". At least, those are the two I'm hoping for the most.
Imagine "WIBNTLA" makes it onto the new album, we are all excited, and it is just the version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" from Pet Sounds, with "to live again" spoken audibly after the "Wouldn't it be nice..." break.

Experts like AGD talk about how brilliant it is, and when we point out that it is just the original WIBN song with three extra words, he acts like we are crazy. That would be funny and a great comedic payoff after all this build-up.

Still though, I am psyched as heck for the tune, and we stand a better chance of getting it this coming year than we ever have before. I would imagine that this one would make it to the new box set or rarities compilation as opposed to the new studio album. Time to listen to the Marsland version...

- B00ts
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2012, 12:57:46 PM »

I wouldn't mind if the cover of the album is a variation of this slick, simple look:

Yes please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx