gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:24:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055764 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »

I've got the perfect album title and cover concept Cheesy:

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »

How about something that has nothing to do with the ocean? that would be something. but I doubt it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »

They are such an iconic group they could probably get away without their name on the front cover. We here are not keen on the 'Beach' aspect and 'Boys'?  Wink

Last week group shots were done according to David himself. I hope these are for inside or maybe the back rather than the cover.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2012, 06:29:19 PM »

They are such an iconic group they could probably get away without their name on the front cover. We here are not keen on the 'Beach' aspect and 'Boys'?  Wink

Last week group shots were done according to David himself. I hope these are for inside or maybe the back rather than the cover.

Let's see here. We are fans of this band, yet it sounds like we are ashamed of their name (no name on the cover), their age (no picture of the band), and maybe don't try to sound like The Beach Boys, because from since 1978 The Beach Boys tried too hard to sound like The Beach Boys (from another thread, here). sh*t, these guys don't stand a chance of pleasing us, their die-hard fans. Yikes! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »

The Five-O suggestion isn't bad.  Unless it's really clever, it's probably better to stay away fron ocean and beach references, and please no titles like reunion or celebration.  My favorite title that's been tossed around is The Fading Rock Group Revival.   
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »

Please close this thread, Phil say's it is not coming out.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2012, 10:16:44 PM »

Huh?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2012, 12:14:12 AM »

Huh?

haha, that's just a joke

The albums on

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2012, 12:54:59 AM »

They are such an iconic group they could probably get away without their name on the front cover. We here are not keen on the 'Beach' aspect and 'Boys'?  Wink

Let's see here. We are fans of this band, yet it sounds like we are ashamed of their name (no name on the cover), their age (no picture of the band), and maybe don't try to sound like The Beach Boys, because from since 1978 The Beach Boys tried too hard to sound like The Beach Boys (from another thread, here). sh*t, these guys don't stand a chance of pleasing us, their die-hard fans. Yikes! Wink

Not at all. Its just that group cover ohoto's seem so dated and old fashioned. Shall we haul a Woody up to Paradise Cove for ya? LOL

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:58:30 AM by Undesirable Element » Logged
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2012, 04:21:47 AM »

Given Brian's run of albums since BWPS I think a great album is well within their grasp. Really at the moment we know zip about the new material. I'll not bother speculating on what might be from the info given so far in interviews. My personal preference would be that it's all new Brian Wilson compositions in collaboration with whoever he chooses and if other band member material is included it is because it merits inclusion. No remakes or finishing tracks by Dennis or Carl . All new stuff please boys.

Brian has had a good run of albums since BWPS...let us not forget the Christmas record too...in addition to the aforementioned TLOS, Gershwin and Disney. A run of albums which are all coherent, fairly consistent in quality and each of which has at least one standout track.

Given that we know Mike has some unreleased songs he's been working on for a while, there is no reason why the guys together cannot produce a high quality album. As for Mike referencing one Brian song that is supposedly great....Take a look at the better work on TLOS and you will possibly agree with me that Brian still has it within him to come up with stunning melodies and harmonies.

Mike is being pretty magnanimous these days, opening 'his' band to bring in half of Brian's...talking openly about playing SMiLE tracks on the tour....this could just be a perfect storm brewing for one last really good (if not great) BB record.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2012, 04:55:42 AM »

The mystery remains, however, why Scott would say that he had flown in Bob's bassline from a live show. I mean, why not from a demo, then? Or if there were "personnel issues," why even bring it up at all?

Sorry, I missed the "live" part of the aforementioned quote.  Alright, you make good points.  A few other points worth mentioning: he also said there was a click track present...it would've been easy enough for the players in the live band to have been given an in-ear monitor feed with the click track for live performances, hence it would make sense to start a partial (mostly) studio re-recording with the same click track (and bass part, as it were).  As to why Bob's bass wasn't used on the track "Southern California":  the studio version was longer than the live version, with the added bridge, so it had to be redone by Scott (or Scott had a longer studio demo in the can from which his bass was flown in). 

As to why there was no mentiion of the location of the live performance recording: well, if you look at the studio credits in the liner notes, they only appear after the assistant engineers' names (i.e. "Aaron Walk and Paul Smith at Capitol and Kevin Mills at Henson);  Mark Linett is credited as the "over all" engineer, which implies there could've been other recording locations for which Mark was the sole engineer, but there was no need to mention them since there were no other engineers involved (even though it's likely that he would have an assistant or two for all sessions and including the live recordings, and it still doesn't explain why Scott wasn't given a credit along the lines of "Additional engineering" or "Demo engineering").  But a better reason might simply be due to oversight (in the course of my research, I've discovered there were a few times in the BB's career where a studio or two was left out of the liner notes, such as on the "L.A. Light Album" for instance). 

As to why the drums had to be re-recorded for the album:  during the recording of the live performance, the drums were mic'd (had to be, since they were real acoustic drums, not the electronic kind), so naturaully there would be a fair amount of leakage from other sources (the audience, the rest of the band), particularly in the overhead mics.  Eliminating that problem required the tracking of new drum performances in the studio.  The live bass, on the other hand, would have been recorded directly from a line out rather than with a microphone in front of the amp, hence no leakage.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2012, 06:07:04 AM »

I've got the perfect album title and cover concept Cheesy:

Cracked me up! 

Very clever...

The "Five-0" might be protected...

But, not the wave!   Wink
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2012, 12:09:30 PM »

I have no inside knowledge, but I have a gut feeling the new album will be called 'Celebration', for good or ill. It seems to be an appropriate Beach Boys brand name for the whole 50th anniversary tour/ album package. At least the title doesn't have 'Summer' in it.

I also hope they manage to find and include at least one quality 'new' Carl lead vocal (not Soul Searchin, already released), as it seems wierd to me to have the Beach Boys without Carl (and Dennis for that matter) represented. But then, Summer in Paradise had no Brian input at all, so I guess for me, you can have the Beach Boys as long as you have at least one Wilson brother involved. Otherwise, it's a 'BB related' project.  Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2012, 12:10:22 PM »

I have no inside knowledge, but I have a gut feeling the new album will be called 'Celebration', for good or ill. It seems to be an appropriate Beach Boys brand name for the whole 50th anniversary tour/ album package. At least the title doesn't have 'Summer' in it.

Summer Celebration
How's about that ?  LOL

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »

I also hope they manage to find and include at least one quality 'new' Carl lead vocal (not Soul Searchin, already released), as it seems wierd to me to have the Beach Boys without Carl (and Dennis for that matter) represented. But then, Summer in Paradise had no Brian input at all, so I guess for me, you can have the Beach Boys as long as you have at least one Wilson brother involved. Otherwise, it's a 'BB related' project.  Smiley

Bassist Brett Simons' personal website lists the title as being "Celebration."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »

Celebration was also the name of Mike's almost-fogotten band way back when, which did a few tracks for the Almost Summer soundtrack.

“We live in divisive times.”
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »

Couldn't help but notice that Brett is rather busy on Tour with Melissa Etheridge and has a number of dates which conflicts with not only the preperation for the BB's Tour but also some BB's gig dates therefore;
1) Is there going to be a rotation of Bass Players on the tour ??
2) Who is playing Bass on the new album ?
or 3) Have the backing tracks already been laid down ??

Interesting 
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2012, 01:24:11 PM »

I also hope they manage to find and include at least one quality 'new' Carl lead vocal (not Soul Searchin, already released), as it seems wierd to me to have the Beach Boys without Carl (and Dennis for that matter) represented. But then, Summer in Paradise had no Brian input at all, so I guess for me, you can have the Beach Boys as long as you have at least one Wilson brother involved. Otherwise, it's a 'BB related' project.  Smiley

And a rather enjoyable follow up album simply named 'Celebration' , always liked 'Starbaby' and the Cover of 'Gettin' Hungry'

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:26:00 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »

This 50th anniversary album is a sham: This is Brian's way of getting the guys to sing on his Pleasure Island album Wink

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2012, 07:08:50 PM »

I also hope they manage to find and include at least one quality 'new' Carl lead vocal (not Soul Searchin, already released), as it seems weird to me to have the Beach Boys without Carl (and Dennis for that matter) represented. But then, Summer in Paradise had no Brian input at all, so I guess for me, you can have the Beach Boys as long as you have at least one Wilson brother involved. Otherwise, it's a 'BB related' project.  Smiley

On a scale of one to ten, ten being best. I would give the title "Celebration" about a four possibly five.
Just the way it grabs you, it's meaning, It certainly isn't a good title like Pet Sounds or Smile or Abbey Road or Band on the Run
Layla and other assorted love songs, it's not that good. It's kind of sterile sounding, not a lot of imagination.
At least it's not a terrible title. it's acceptable but not very good. IMO
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2012, 07:16:52 PM »

I really hope and pray that the boys don't use any kind of excessive pitch correction on the vocals for the new album, after listening however to Do it Again-Particularly Mikes main vocal- it's looking quite possible that may be the case.
I hope I'm wrong!

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2012, 08:34:01 PM »

If Brett is going to be on the road with Melissa Etheridge,  it would be the perfect oppurtuity to get Eddie Carter back into the BBs band.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »

If Brett is going to be on the road with Melissa Etheridge,  it would be the perfect oppurtuity to get Eddie Carter back into the BBs band.

His website explicitly says he will be with her for February and March dates. The BBs start in April.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2012, 09:36:47 PM »

I actually think Celebration is a good title too.  need a good cover though.  I wish the guy who did TLOS would do it
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2012, 12:30:18 AM »

1) Is there going to be a rotation of Bass Players on the tour ??
2) Who is playing Bass on the new album ?
or 3) Have the backing tracks already been laid down ??

1) yeah - Carol Kaye/James Jamerson/Carol Kaye/Bob Lizik/Carol Kaye. Carol will also be playing drums, guitar, keys, tannerin and mallets
2) see above.
3) Some have.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx