gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:26:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055827 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4050 on: June 18, 2012, 08:35:19 AM »

I heard my 10 year old singing "Shelter" while he was playing yesterday.  Grin
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: June 18, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »

I am loving LOVING that bass-and-ukulele groove on Isn't It Time.  Love the falsetto vocals.  Boy, that is one outstanding song, brilliantly arranged.  Major ear worm!  Love it!

A fun song in every way!

Ukulele!  YAY!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:47:49 AM by heysaboda » Logged

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: June 18, 2012, 11:12:47 AM »

I am loving LOVING that bass-and-ukulele groove on Isn't It Time.  Love the falsetto vocals.  Boy, that is one outstanding song, brilliantly arranged.  Major ear worm!  Love it!

A fun song in every way!

Ukulele!  YAY!

Finally got the disc for Father's Day yesterday (don't worry, I found a site streaming it since ten days prior to release). The instrumentation and arrangement on this one are actually COOL! Who woulda thunk?
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4053 on: June 18, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »

Yeah, that song is shaping up to be one of my favorites
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: June 18, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »

My 5-year-old was singing "That's Why God Was the Radio" over the weekend.   LOL
dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: June 18, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »

Both my son and my daughter 8 and 10 years old love the new album! There favorite song is Isn't it Time!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: June 18, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »

You guy's are makin' we want kids now.
Stop it!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: June 18, 2012, 10:07:22 PM »

Having children is the most wonderful part of life. And if you raise them well, the rewards cannot be calculated. I know children aren't for everybody, but for for the general masses who purposely avoid that possibility, well, you're missing out on a major part of the meaning of life. This theme can be found in many Beach Boy songs. They all had children and know what I mean.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: June 19, 2012, 04:32:30 AM »

A slight over-reaction, perhaps?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: June 19, 2012, 05:24:48 AM »

A fun song in every way!

Ukulele!  YAY!

Outstanding song and recording. I hear a lot of Love You influence on this one. The whole album is ridiculously catchy. I have not yet played any other music since the album was released. I've got to get to the new Neil Young/Crazy Horse album this week. Break the cycle!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4060 on: June 19, 2012, 12:17:49 PM »

A fun song in every way!

Ukulele!  YAY!

Outstanding song and recording. I hear a lot of Love You influence on this one.

I agree ! It just sounds more polished than a imaginative Love You version probably would've

Vote for the Beach Boys:
http://www.billboard.com/features/poll-billboard-com-s-2012-mid-year-music-1007363352.story#/features/poll-billboard-com-s-2012-mid-year-music-1007363352.story

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: June 20, 2012, 09:46:30 PM »

Woke up this morning with 'Beaches in Mind' playing in my head. So I shuffled down the hall to my office and put it on at once Smiley

"...man it's been too much time" :D

Lol. It's so cheezy/goofy that it's awesome if you ask me. 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4062 on: June 21, 2012, 02:58:07 AM »

A fun song in every way!

Ukulele!  YAY!

I agree ! It just sounds more polished than a imaginative Love You version probably would've

Isn't it rhythmically and in terms of percussion too complex to be on Love You? Personally, I like Isn't It Time more than any recording on Love You, but that's subjective of course.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: June 21, 2012, 07:02:04 AM »

So what are the chances for a GRAMMY Award for best album?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4064 on: June 21, 2012, 07:11:09 AM »

So what are the chances for a GRAMMY Award for best album?

Next to none I'd imagine. But I want The Smile Sessions to get one !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: June 21, 2012, 08:32:54 AM »

A fun song in every way!

Ukulele!  YAY!

Isn't it rhythmically and in terms of percussion too complex to be on Love You? Personally, I like Isn't It Time more than any recording on Love You, but that's subjective of course.
Yeh, it is a more accomplished recording and a more complex arrangement than Love You but they seem to be related, probably the prominent bass and the ultra catchy repetitive melody. I can hear it this one done with farty synths and rough voices.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4066 on: June 21, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »

Just curious, when looking back on this thread as it unfolded before the official release, if folks think the numerous advance reviews were accurate, semi-accurate, or missed the mark. Or, if some may have set up an image in your mind about the sounds of the album that may or may not be how you hear it now, or whether those opinions shaped the actual listening experience. Just out of curiosity.

I'm thinking of discussions about Jimmy Buffett, the sound of Brian's "Imagination" album, etc. that were mentioned in reviews. I was expecting to hear more of that stuff, but it really wasn't as prominent as others may have heard it. I guess it's all in what the individual hears and perceives.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: June 21, 2012, 03:29:41 PM »

I'd say most reviews were pretty on-target.

That said, I'd say the album--despite whatever little flaws--has become way much more enjoyable than I thought it would be from any review.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: June 21, 2012, 06:42:44 PM »

I think that initial reviews tended to underrate the album--it's kind of a grower, and I think that reviewers who have spent more time with it have picked up on that. 

As for the things about kids singing along--my 2.5 year old daughter, who understands English but speaks mostly Japanese, does a lot of singing along with it, especially to the title track.  The album has its faults, but in terms of melodies and harmonies, it's great throughout, and I think that kids pick up on that. 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4069 on: June 22, 2012, 04:32:18 AM »

A fun song in every way!

Ukulele!  YAY!

Yeh, it is a more accomplished recording and a more complex arrangement than Love You but they seem to be related, probably the prominent bass and the ultra catchy repetitive melody. I can hear it this one done with farty synths and rough voices.

Isn't It Time reminds me way more of the so-called "Landlocked" tape than of Love You. One track of that tape however was included in Love You.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4070 on: June 22, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »

On another note, why wasn't Mark Linett involved with this album ? He's done such good work before

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4071 on: June 22, 2012, 10:42:54 AM »

I'd say most reviews were pretty on-target.

That said, I'd say the album--despite whatever little flaws--has become way much more enjoyable than I thought it would be from any review.

The first part I disagree with, I think certain elements were amplified way too much among certain reviewers and it gave an impression of a sound or texture that I don't think is there on the album.

The second part, I agree 110%. It was far better than I had thought it would be, and I mean that expectation I had in my head for what the album would be and not what reviews suggested it was.

It is a very enjoyable album, and even though some disagree I think the sound quality of the individual instruments on the tracks is sparkling. The detail is really, really good to these ears, and the guitars especially sounded better and more separated than I had expected.

And I'm glad there were far less traces of "Jimmy Buffett" sounds or vibes on this album...because I really can't stand most of his sh*t. Cheesy His beer is decent on a really hot day, though.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4072 on: June 22, 2012, 11:53:45 AM »

Everyone was saying that the last three songs were so much better than the rest of the album. I disagree, I think the album is consistently good. Sure, the last three are more "serious" but that doesn't make them better.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: June 22, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »

Just curious, when looking back on this thread as it unfolded before the official release, if folks think the numerous advance reviews were accurate, semi-accurate, or missed the mark. Or, if some may have set up an image in your mind about the sounds of the album that may or may not be how you hear it now, or whether those opinions shaped the actual listening experience. Just out of curiosity.

I'm thinking of discussions about Jimmy Buffett, the sound of Brian's "Imagination" album, etc. that were mentioned in reviews. I was expecting to hear more of that stuff, but it really wasn't as prominent as others may have heard it. I guess it's all in what the individual hears and perceives.

For me, the Rolling Stone review describing the album as "sugary" or whatever really ingrained that image in my mind.  I was afraid of a "sugary" album, though I was pleasantly and extraordinarily surprised.  The album is not sugary at all, it's thoughtful, nostalgic (in the most tasteful and delightful way), and introspective.  It's beautiful, fun, and all together more than I could have ever hoped. A fantastic album in lieu of the previous studio albums the band has given us, and incredible by its own independent merit.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: June 22, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »

Everyone was saying that the last three songs were so much better than the rest of the album. I disagree, I think the album is consistently good. Sure, the last three are more "serious" but that doesn't make them better.

It would be interesing to take a poll about this subject - I would say the last three tracks are head and shoulders above the rest of the album. (Not that the rest of the album is poor by any means).

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx