gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:21:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1061977 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: May 04, 2012, 04:50:07 PM »

It seems like we may have a new album from the boys that is around the same overall level of quality as M.I.U., but with more direct Brian involvement.  If that is the case, it is a nice enough denouement for the Beach Boys' recording career.

I'd hope for better production quality and slightly better hooks, let's put it that way.

I think this record will be ten times better than MIU. Seriously. I'm very confident in that, especially after hearing TWGMTR

I think it'll have better leads, more lush harmonies and probably a few more very good songs. And as ironical as it may be -in 2012 with the technology that's available and with two of the guys no longer with us- this will probably sound as a more cohesive group album than its predecessors since possibly Holland.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1876 on: May 04, 2012, 05:22:07 PM »

It seems like we may have a new album from the boys that is around the same overall level of quality as M.I.U., but with more direct Brian involvement.  If that is the case, it is a nice enough denouement for the Beach Boys' recording career.

I'd hope for better production quality and slightly better hooks, let's put it that way.

I think this record will be ten times better than MIU. Seriously. I'm very confident in that, especially after hearing TWGMTR

I think it'll have better leads, more lush harmonies and probably a few more very good songs. And as ironical as it may be -in 2012 with the technology that's available and with two of the guys no longer with us- this will probably sound as a more cohesive group album than its predecessors since possibly Holland.
I like the way you, Zach95, and Wirestone think. Perhaps this album will be better than M.I.U. I will not be surprised if the overall production and songwriting surpass their late '70s work.

Incidentally, the production and engineering on TWGMTR is fantastic. The rhythm section is insanely well-recorded and mixed, with rich, buttery bass guitar and well-defined but still Wilsonesque drums.

Some on this board have said that the single has a "Joe Thomas/Imagination sound,' but that record sounded dated in 1998, swamped with nylon-string guitars a faint digital hiss audible at the beginning of the first track and many others. In contrast, TWGMTR sounds current in the best possible way. Here's hoping the rest of the album follows suit.

- B00ts
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: May 04, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »

I like the way you, Zach95, and Wirestone think. Perhaps this album will be better than M.I.U. I will not be surprised if the overall production and songwriting surpass their late '70s work.

Incidentally, the production and engineering on TWGMTR is fantastic. The rhythm section is insanely well-recorded and mixed, with rich, buttery bass guitar and well-defined but still Wilsonesque drums.

Some on this board have said that the single has a "Joe Thomas/Imagination sound,' but that record sounded dated in 1998, swamped with nylon-string guitars a faint digital hiss audible at the beginning of the first track and many others. In contrast, TWGMTR sounds current in the best possible way. Here's hoping the rest of the album follows suit.

Is there any chance we can get a like button on this board? I know others have mentioned it in passing, but I'm serious! I would totally use it, i.e. right now. 

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: May 04, 2012, 07:29:48 PM »

Isn't it better just to comment?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: May 04, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »

Of course we don't know the extent of Joe's involvement here. It's true that he's been mentioned as execuive producer, but the amount of work he's putting into this we don't know for sure. To be honest, I think there's still a mild lack of trust from us fans in Brian's current producing skills; and I think that making Thomas responsible for the sound of the new music has a little to do with that... the idea flies over Brian's output since who knows when ("perhaps he's not producing" we whisper into our minds). Threads have been saturated with posts on this. I'm willing to argue that Brian is in fact producing a large part if not all his stuff, and has been doing it all the time. But that is not my point now. My point is this:

When he recorded Imagination he had no band. He was in whatever state of mind he was at the time and so he had his one collaborator fill in his blanks --to an extent that's what all his collaborators have done in the past. So Thomas, perhaps not too sensitive and knowledgeable on Brian's music, brings in his stuff, his sounds, his instruments and his musicians and fills all the gaps that Brian leaves uncovered. The  situation today is different: Brian's had a band he toured with and recorded with extensively for the past decade; they can read his mind and do as it pleases him without asking. And he has the Beach Boys with him; they'll go to war for Brian if they have to. So, in the end, the blank filling that Thomas played in 1998 is being played -much more adequately and to Brian's taste- by his current bandmates and supporting group. So there's no danger of Imagination's weakest production featured appearing in this new album.

BTW, I wish somebody could enlighten us on the ups and downs of Brian's relationship with Joe. How did it fall appart and how did it get a second round.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »

BTW, I wish somebody could enlighten us on the ups and downs of Brian's relationship with Joe. How did it fall appart and how did it get a second round.

I have an old post from the late, great Coach Bob Hanes on this subject. I'll look it up when I get home. Suffice to say that things came to a head when Joe (who was afraid of flying) refused to go to Japan with the band in 1999. Brian quickly decided he liked things better without Joe (who was trying to be music director and clashing with Darian) and seems to have decided to fire him. Things got a little messy after that.

As for coming back together, no one knows. It seems like he answered some pressing needs -- material for a Beach Boys reunion record (since several songs for this project come from 98) and someone to film and produce the accompanying reunion special (Joe has specialized in live concert production over the past decade). He also worked with the band before, too, so perhaps they had a role in bringing him back.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: May 04, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »

Not just to say something like I agree!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: May 04, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »

I dunno, I think making an effort to even type just that shows much more active participation in a human conversation than clicking a button. The shorthand of modern communication (which amounts to non-communication) is a real drag. But that's just my opinion, never mind. At least you didn't type +1!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1883 on: May 04, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »

I have an old post from the late, great Coach Bob Hanes on this subject. I'll look it up when I get home. Suffice to say that things came to a head when Joe (who was afraid of flying) refused to go to Japan with the band in 1999. Brian quickly decided he liked things better without Joe (who was trying to be music director and clashing with Darian) and seems to have decided to fire him. Things got a little messy after that.

As for coming back together, no one knows. It seems like he answered some pressing needs -- material for a Beach Boys reunion record (since several songs for this project come from 98) and someone to film and produce the accompanying reunion special (Joe has specialized in live concert production over the past decade). He also worked with the band before, too, so perhaps they had a role in bringing him back.

You neglected to mention the most obvious pressing need. $

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »

You neglected to mention the most obvious pressing need. $

Really? For the album? Tour? Special? Hard to imagine the band would be cash-strapped.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1885 on: May 05, 2012, 05:07:26 AM »

I dunno, I think making an effort to even type just that shows much more active participation in a human conversation than clicking a button. The shorthand of modern communication (which amounts to non-communication) is a real drag. But that's just my opinion, never mind. At least you didn't type +1!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: May 05, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »

HAHA!

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1887 on: May 05, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »

That is to say, I agree.

This board is the antithesis of that sort of facebookery
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: May 05, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »

1. Andrew...why are you sharing your (albeit unfortunately limited) thoughts on the album with the Hoffman crowd and not us? Aren't we really your favorites?  So, you DON"T think Shelter and Isn't it Time are classics? Are they "semi" or "almost" classics, then???

2. Per Amazon, vinyl release pushed to July 3 ?!?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:55:57 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: May 05, 2012, 11:12:32 AM »

where does Sir. AGD say that?

i saw that he said from there and back will make our jaws drop
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: May 05, 2012, 11:22:34 AM »

That is to say, I agree.

This board is the antithesis of that sort of facebookery

Oh please. Not everyone uses Facebook for asinine purposes.  Sheesh.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: May 05, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »

where does Sir. AGD say that?

i saw that he said from there and back will make our jaws drop

In that same thread.  In response to the twitter review that called each of those three tunes "Instant BB claassics" , AGD posted a word word response..."Disagree". In a later post he states that, indeed, FTTBA will make our jaws drop. I want to know what his thoughts indeed are about Shelter and Isn't it Time.  It is certainly possible I am misunderstanding his post...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:24:56 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: May 05, 2012, 11:26:28 AM »

oh great and powerful AGD, please tease us with your heralded knowledge
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1893 on: May 05, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »

Maybe AGD doesn't post it here because of the powers that read this board. They might not like that so I guess we should just wait and hear it when it's released (or read those other boards)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: May 05, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »

I personally think its elitist and plain stupid to taunt an entire group of fanatics with an OPINION of an album no one else has heard.  Just my two cents. It's not like AGD's opinion changes anything about the album, except our distorted perceptions.

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: May 05, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »

AGD is the great teaser, but i want my perception distorted ._.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: May 05, 2012, 11:54:14 AM »

I ALWAYS appreciate AGD's insight and information. I guess I just don't like it when people say, "I have a secret! But I really can't tell you what it is".  That's all.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: May 05, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »

I personally think its elitist and plain stupid to taunt an entire group of fanatics with an OPINION of an album no one else has heard.  Just my two cents. It's not like AGD's opinion changes anything about the album, except our distorted perceptions.

But this is how the guy thrives and feeds his bloated self-importance. It seems to work, too, because many venerate the guy for simply knowing Beach Boys minutiae and being petty and condescending about it. It reminds me somewhat of a sado-masochistic relationship.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: May 05, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »

I ALWAYS appreciate AGD's insight and information. I guess I just don't like it when people say, "I have a secret! But I really can't tell you what it is".  That's all.
When you tell secrets, you soon have no secrets to tell. All I can say is, when Andrew does respond, read it very carefully. Usually, subtle hints are everywhere.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: May 05, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »

But this is how the guy thrives and feeds his bloated self-importance. It seems to work, too, because many venerate the guy for simply knowing Beach Boys minutiae and being petty and condescending about it. It reminds me somewhat of a sado-masochistic relationship.

Stop being a jerk.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx