-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:01:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Isaac Hayes quits South Park
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Isaac Hayes quits South Park  (Read 6108 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2006, 09:07:36 PM »

Veteran soul singer Isaac Hayes, voice of the libidinous character "Chef" on the satiric cable TV cartoon "South Park," said on Monday he was quitting the show, citing its "inappropriate ridicule" of religion.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry toward religious beliefs ... begins," Hayes said in a statement.

Hayes, 63, a devoted follower of the Church of Scientology, did not mention a "South Park" episode that aired last fall poking fun at Scientology and some of its celebrity adherents, including actor Tom Cruise.

ADVERTISEMENT
Rather, Hayes said the show's parody of religion is part of what he saw as a "growing insensitivity toward personal spiritual beliefs" in the media generally, including the recent controversy over cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammad.

The singer, who became the first black composer to win an Oscar for best song with his theme to the film "Shaft," said he formally asked to be released from his contract with "South Park," on the Comedy Central cable channel.

A spokesman for the Viacom Inc.-owned network said producers of the show and its creators, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, had agreed not to "enforce" Hayes' contract.

"Obviously, Matt and Trey are disappointed that he's not going to be part of the show, but they're not going to make him do something he doesn't want to do," the spokesman, Tony Fox, told Reuters.

However, he said Stone and Parker "feel that it's a bit disingenuous (for Hayes) to cite religious intolerance as a reason for him pulling out of the show" because the series has lampooned religion since its start, taking shots at Catholics, Jews, Muslims and Mormons, among others.

The series grew out of two short films by Parker and Stone, "Jesus vs. Frosty" and "The Spirit of Christmas," the latter featuring a martial-arts duel between Jesus and Santa Claus over the true meaning of Christmas.

"Their premise is as long as you can make fun of everybody, then everybody is a potential target," Fox said. "The minute you start pulling punches, then the show's reason for being sort of gets compromised."

The crudely animated cartoon, heading into its 10th season next week as one of Comedy Central's biggest hits, centers on the antics of four foul-mouthed fourth graders in the town of South Park, Colorado.

Hayes joined the show in 1997, supplying the baritone voice of Jerome "Chef" McElroy, the rotund school cafeteria cook whom the boys often seek out for advice.

In an episode last fall, one of the gang, Stan, scores so high on a Scientology test that church followers think he is the next L. Ron Hubbard, the late science-fiction writer who founded the religion. Hayes did not take part in that episode.

In an interview with Reuters late last year, Hayes talked about a foundation he formed to bring Scientology-based study techniques to disadvantaged inner-city schools, in partnership with fellow devotee Lisa Marie Presley.

"But it's not religious," he said then. "It's just something that people need."

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 05:31:36 AM »

That can't be good for the show.

Watch out for snakes!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 06:26:13 AM »

In an interview with Reuters late last year, Hayes talked about a foundation he formed to bring Scientology-based study techniques to disadvantaged inner-city schools, in partnership with fellow devotee Lisa Marie Presley.

What a hypocrite!  The above bit bothers me more.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 07:34:17 AM »

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 05:55:54 PM »

Whatever, I haven't watched the show in years; his voice is still in the good episodes so this doesn't affect me.

He is being a bit of a hypocrite, though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 06:28:36 PM »

I don't watch the new ones. Like all cartoon sitcoms, something has been missing for a while. The old ones were great though.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 12:40:52 PM »

I think Geddy Lee should be the voice of Chef Vader now to contrast the voices.  Imagine Geddy singing, "I wunna make luv to ya wah-mun!"

Be a nice break from his Neil Peart penned intricate, yet some of the best I've ever heard, lyrical landscapes.

Shouldn't be too tough to get ol' Ged to do it.  Alex Lifeson's a huge South Park fan and Rush's close buddy Les Claypool does the them song. 

Feh.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 05:56:58 AM »

Didn't he do O Canada for the movie soundtrack?

Watch out for snakes!
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 03:13:17 PM »

Yeah, I think he and Alex Lifeson did.  Peart kind of had his "hands full" with other stuff.  Tragic stuff.

Feh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: