gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:30:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Grammy Discussion Thread  (Read 89325 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 13, 2012, 12:00:15 AM »

That was really cool. I don't usually like the guitar jam session segments at award shows, but that one was really, really cool. It's the Beatles aura, that's the only way I can explain it. Seeing Bruce and Joe Walsh and Grohl up there smiling like kids jamming with Paul touched a nerve. I think anyone who plays music and loves the Beatles in any way pictured themselves in that scenario at one point or another.

It was great, but I cannot for the life of me 'get' Bruce Springsteen.  I've never been a fan.  He always looks like he smells something nasty on his microphone, and I learned tonight, after all these years, during this jam, that Bruce Springsteen cannot play guitar to save his life.  He's completely impotent now.  Paul Macca played lead 10 times better than Bruce, over and over again, and HE'S NOT EVEN A GUITARIST.  
i agree with you 100% :] ..i thought i was the only one that didnt feel his music.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 13, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »

That was really cool. I don't usually like the guitar jam session segments at award shows, but that one was really, really cool. It's the Beatles aura, that's the only way I can explain it. Seeing Bruce and Joe Walsh and Grohl up there smiling like kids jamming with Paul touched a nerve. I think anyone who plays music and loves the Beatles in any way pictured themselves in that scenario at one point or another.

It was great, but I cannot for the life of me 'get' Bruce Springsteen.  I've never been a fan.  He always looks like he smells something nasty on his microphone, and I learned tonight, after all these years, during this jam, that Bruce Springsteen cannot play guitar to save his life.  He's completely impotent now.  Paul Macca played lead 10 times better than Bruce, over and over again, and HE'S NOT EVEN A GUITARIST. 

I have "Taxman" on the line,  and it begs to differ.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 13, 2012, 12:08:49 AM »

Poor Brian, he looks so awkward.  I hope (and I pray, to be honest) that some of those demons that are still kicking around in there are calmed down by this reunion.  He is TRYING, people.  This is a guy who's absolutely staring fear in the face and moving right through it.  God bless him! 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 13, 2012, 12:10:49 AM »

It was great, but I cannot for the life of me 'get' Bruce Springsteen.  I've never been a fan.  He always looks like he smells something nasty on his microphone, and I learned tonight, after all these years, during this jam, that Bruce Springsteen cannot play guitar to save his life.  He's completely impotent now.  Paul Macca played lead 10 times better than Bruce, over and over again, and HE'S NOT EVEN A GUITARIST. 

I have "Taxman" on the line,  and it begs to differ.

I know, I'm saying he can play a mean guitar (10 times better than Springsteen!) but he's primarily a bass player and a pianist.  I know he started as a guitarist, etc. but the point still is a guy known for being one of the greatest Bass players of all time just smoked, over and over again, the 'boss' on guitar. 
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 13, 2012, 12:13:41 AM »

It was great, but I cannot for the life of me 'get' Bruce Springsteen.  I've never been a fan.  He always looks like he smells something nasty on his microphone, and I learned tonight, after all these years, during this jam, that Bruce Springsteen cannot play guitar to save his life.  He's completely impotent now.  Paul Macca played lead 10 times better than Bruce, over and over again, and HE'S NOT EVEN A GUITARIST.  

I'm actually with you on Springsteen.  This is probably blasphemy, but I've always found him, both musically and lyrically, to be very cheesy and phony.  Then again, I've always loathed the whole overblown "working man" schtick, period.  And his voice never did anything for me. 

As for the Beach Boys, I thought they held their own.  Didn't like that they began "Good Vibrations" on the chorus, and Brian looked massively uncomfortable, but the latter is nothing new.  They also had a ton of help from the backing band, but it was dignified, classy, and a nice way to return.  It felt right hearing Mike's voice on the chorus again.  As someone said earlier, it felt all very genuine.  In some sense, it almost feels as cathartic for us fans as it does them. 

A nice way to kick off the reunion.  Should be good. 
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 13, 2012, 12:16:40 AM »

I'm from New Jersey and there's a requirement to like Bruce Springsteen to maintain your citizenship.

(Is there really nothing off of "Born to Run" that you like, though?)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: February 13, 2012, 12:16:55 AM »

I was with you on many observations on these recent pages, but that last statement...here's a short list of McCartney's lead guitar credits:

Blackbird
Another Girl
Taxman
Fixing A Hole
Good Morning Good Morning
Back In The USSR
Maybe I'm Amazed
Drive My Car
Sgt. Pepper/Pepper Reprise
The End (1st solos of the 3)
Ticket To Ride

That's a pretty hefty resume for any guitarist! Grin All of those were McCartney playing lead.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 13, 2012, 12:18:09 AM »

I'm from New Jersey and there's a requirement to like Bruce Springsteen to maintain your citizenship.

(Is there really nothing off of "Born to Run" that you like, though?)

Man, I can listen to two or three of his songs, but they're not essential and they're most certainly not on the caliber he's hyped up to be.  "Born to Run" is a great song, I liked the Streets of Philadelphia, everybody's got to like "Born in the USA"... but it dont' go much deeper than that sadly. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 13, 2012, 12:20:24 AM »

I was with you on many observations on these recent pages, but that last statement...here's a short list of McCartney's lead guitar credits:

Blackbird
Another Girl
Taxman
Fixing A Hole
Back In The USSR
Maybe I'm Amazed
Drive My Car
Ticket To Ride

That's a pretty hefty resume for any guitarist! Grin All of those were McCartney playing lead.

I'm completely aware of what McCartney played guitar on, I learned to play guitar playing many of those songs, but he's not a guitarist by trade, he's a bassist, which is very different.  The guy is better on his THIRD instrument, than Springsteen is on his ONLY instrument.  Just 'sayin. 

BTW you forgot "I've Just Seen a Face", and "yesterday".  And "Band on the Run"... and ... well. 
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2012, 12:21:53 AM »

I just realised how much awful music we have to sit through for 5 minutes of The Beach Boys  LOL

Considering how much crap we're willing to sit through for that much of the Beach Boys just makes me think about what a freakin' geek I am to be staying up so long!  Grin

I'm so glad I can come here and know I'm not alone Grin I've even bought movies I had absolutely no interest in just because it had a BB song in it (& I already had the songs on cd).

I totally cried when Seacrest talked about them Embarrassed I must say I'm eating my words on Maroon 5 though, they seemed to give it their best (nowhere up to par, but I guess nobody will ever be). Foster The People, imo, sucked but I did appreciate the fact that they wore the shirts and looked scared to death.

I don't really know what to say about the main event Undecided Was Brian even miked? Maybe what looked bad to me (focusing on Brian when Foskett was obviously singing) totally went over the average viewers head? Was that really Mike singing bass when they showed him? Something seemed off to me there. It sounded great, just looked super awkward. Mike didn't disappoint on the cheese factor, & Brain looked like he couldn't get out of there fast enough. I am just super happy that they are finally getting some of the credit they so incredibly deserve (especially from the mainstream). Now that this is over, here's hoping they come to all our nearest cities on the tour Listening

And did it bother anyone else that the Beatles were a presence with the McCartney stuff on a night with such a (rare) Beach Boy focus? I was totally thinking the Beatles are trying to steal the Beach Boy's thunder yet again Roll Eyes

Did you even watch. Or read more educated feed back?

Nah, totally didn't watch. I thought I'd watch E! or something instead of watching my favorite band of all time so I could catch (or keep) up with the Kardashians, then I'd come on here and pretend I did anyway Roll Eyes I don't know if I'm offended or amused that after watching 3 1/2 hours of almost total garbage (not the least of which included Taylor Swift pretending she's on Hee Haw) I'm being accused of having not been traumatized by the dj with the mouse head or the whole possessed/exorcism charade. And I appologize if my post is too uneducated for your liking, but if it's not how I personally felt I wouldn't have stated it.
And I think I only read about 2 pages of this thread (I don't believe I was enlightened by any of your posts before now), you see I was too busy watching some award show Grin
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: February 13, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »

As far as Springsteen, I'm from the Philly area so naturally we're surrounded by his music, it's still considered "local". Our CBS affiliate ran a story on Bruce's history after the Grammys.

I like some of his tunes, some of his live shows I've seen/heard have been thrilling, but I have also never bought into all the hype or the praise. He's been put up on a pedestal even more in the past 10 years or so, and I haven't heard too much of the new Bruce (past 10 years) to justify all that hype, praise, and critical fawning. The best tunes at his live shows have been the old warhorses that sounded great in the 70's.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 13, 2012, 12:22:19 AM »

I think it's OK that Brian was hardly audible. If knowing that he was low in the mix was what it took to make him feel more at ease for such an important event, than that's fine. For as far as most people know, Brian sounded great and I'm sure he'll get plenty of "real" leads on the tour.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 13, 2012, 12:24:54 AM »

Macca is amazingly prolific, a la Woody Allen. While Allen's films have improved greatly recently, there was a long run of mediocrity. Similarly (although I haven't heard most of it), Paul's recent material is uneven but solid and occasionally excellent from most reports, though the new song he performed tonight was mediocre. Derivative (reminiscent of Besame Mucho, yes I know he didn't write that, and And I Love Her, to my ears). He has earned the right to indulge himself, however, is in love, and it is almost Valentine's Day, + he more than made up for it with a spot-on vocal and overall performance on the Abbey Road medley (far better than his rough, off-pitch singing on his recent SNL appearance, at which time he was probably hoarse from excessive touring).

It is unfortunate that Brian had to mime the GV verses, although most people watching (even some here) were undoubtedly unaware of it. It would have been folly to risk an out-of-tune performance on such a high-profile appearance, however, and while he is still capable of very solid vocals in the studio, and often live (esp. on newly recorded material from his latest project, while he is still freshly engaged) he was clearly nervous tonight (I did spot an early smile) and would have been unlikely to have nailed his lead. Again, from a hard-core fan's perspective, it was really too bad that Jeff's was the only voice that could be heard while Brian was ostensibly singing, but the only alternative would have been to do another song (could have been interesting). You can't argue with the choice of GV from any other standpoint though.

Although extremely slick and somewhat generic, it was a solid, high-octane delivery which suited the demands of the occasion. A solid launch to what will hopefully be a triumphant year.

I thought Maroon 5 performed quite creditably on SG, lovely really, but the lead singer's vocal flourishes fell flat (as did his pitch) a couple of times during the tag. Liked the tempo & key of WIBN, but the vocals were a bit clipped and sounded forced.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: February 13, 2012, 12:27:27 AM »

I've just read all sixteen pages, and maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I am decidedly disheartened that in all this text, maybe three people have commented on the main event tonight - good or bad, glad or sad, this was The Beach Boys ,reunited in real time, all five on the same stage at the same time and looking happy to be doing exactly that. Yes, Brian was saftey-netted, but I heard him, even on youtube. This is the beginning of the C50 process: I'm expecting major press in the upcoming days concerning the album, archive releases and tour.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 13, 2012, 12:31:27 AM »

Everybody: Try this... I just opened the youtube clip of the Beach Boys performing, and *DIDNT* watch it, just listened. 

SOUNDED GREAT! 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: February 13, 2012, 12:32:47 AM »

Blackbird
Another Girl
Taxman
Fixing A Hole
Back In The USSR
Maybe I'm Amazed
Drive My Car
Ticket To Ride

I'm completely aware of what McCartney played guitar on, I learned to play guitar playing many of those songs, but he's not a guitarist by trade, he's a bassist, which is very different.  The guy is better on his THIRD instrument, than Springsteen is on his ONLY instrument.  Just 'sayin. 

BTW you forgot "I've Just Seen a Face", and "yesterday".  And "Band on the Run"... and ... well. 

Didn't forget them...just didn't list them! And McCartney was a guitarist when he met John and through the early Beatles years, he said he didn't want to play bass even when he took the role. That's what he says, at least. Wink

For the record, I started learning them when vinyl and cassette ruled the racks, and CD's were the "luxury", so I'd have tapes of my vinyl to practice with and several Beatles guitar songbooks which never sounded "right", no tablature just trad notation. I later figured out they were in the wrong keys, no wonder they didn't fit. Cheesy

Well over half of those on my list I thought for years featured George Harrison on lead...me and thousands of others I'm sure. It amazed me to learn how often Paul did play lead guitar, and how some of my then-favorites like Good Morning were actually Paul and not George. Despite the 'net, despite all the "complete scores" books and whatnot, you can learn something new about a Beatles guitar part every time you sit down to play it.

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 13, 2012, 12:33:24 AM »

Well I couldn't stay up to watch it but caught up on the videos whilst eating my breakfast this morning. I'm so happy with how it went as I actually dreamt that people on here were just calling it "rubbish"! Smiley It's so nice to see them all together but it makes it so sad that Carl and Dennis aren't there. It's a real shame as I think they would have loved this.

All I can say is that I am excited about this year on the back of this and I am proud of the Boys and to be a fan!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 13, 2012, 12:35:03 AM »

Paul Plays drums too.  Dave Grohl would hand him his ASS though if they jammed together, I'm just saying, somewhere, in L.A. right now, Bruce Springsteen is ashamed of himself. 

Smiley

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 13, 2012, 12:38:43 AM »

Well I couldn't stay up to watch it but caught up on the videos whilst eating my breakfast this morning. I'm so happy with how it went as I actually dreamt that people on here were just calling it "rubbish"! Smiley It's so nice to see them all together but it makes it so sad that Carl and Dennis aren't there. It's a real shame as I think they would have loved this.

All I can say is that I am excited about this year on the back of this and I am proud of the Boys and to be a fan!

Keep that feeling, then, no matter what any of the rest of the lot tell you.  That the music still touched you and you got something good out of the video proves that the boys still have what was always the greatest thing they gave their music anyways :  heart. 

What excites me is I think the positivity and the warmth they have for each other has the potential to actually increase over the next few months if everything goes good.  If that happens, think how great it'll be for fans in a few months.  What if Mike and Brian actually get comfortable around each other?  What if Al doesn't have to worry about Mike suing him?  What if the fans and Mike accept Jeff?  This might get really positive. 

It's like those videos that float around of Brian and his band rehearsing, and Jeff or somebody says "That's not how you sing it, show 'em Brian!" and Brian, in a good mood, sings something falsetto out of nowhere just for the hell of it. 

I want the Beach Boys to have fun and enjoy each other like they once did, that would be the best 'celebration' they could give us fans, imho. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: February 13, 2012, 12:39:53 AM »

I've just read all sixteen pages, and maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I am decidedly disheartened that in all this text, maybe three people have commented on the main event tonight - good or bad, glad or sad, this was The Beach Boys ,reunited in real time, all five on the same stage at the same time and looking happy to be doing exactly that. Yes, Brian was saftey-netted, but I heard him, even on youtube. This is the beginning of the C50 process: I'm expecting major press in the upcoming days concerning the album, archive releases and tour.

I think the fact that all 5 were on stage has been processed and absorbed already, that was a done deal well before the performance itself. So we were expecting that part of the deal - how much more can be said about that which we knew? It was time to deliver the goods! I think they did, I still think the band by itself could have done better than the special guests on the songs. And Mike Love had *great* stage presence tonight and his bass voice, when audible in the mix, was a treat to hear on GV in 2012.

I think the mixing was a bit off, giving the benefit of the doubt for the engineers there may have been too many musicians for the good of those songs...was it necessary to have that many guitars? Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:41:50 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: February 13, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »

The highlight of the night for me was Dave Grohls acceptance speech in which he he talked about music coming from the heart and the mind
without being tainted or touched up by computers.

And did you notice the house band cut him off?  He offended most of the current music makers!

This speech was a highlight for me as well...and to play him off stage with LMFAO...I'm happy to read I wasn't the only one that noticed all these little things that happened. Grin

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 13, 2012, 12:57:33 AM »

The he said "LONG LIVE ROCK AN ROLLLL!!!" as loud as he could.  Like I said: forever 16.  Which is a good thing when your main purpose in life is to make garage band music.  I've always liked Dave Grohl, and really his entire band shares the same philosophy.  They don't care whether or not they're the greatest in the world, they just want to rock.  Dave Grohl is happy to play drums on a puff daddy song.  He'll do duets with Chris Brown.  I mean the guy just wants to play his guitar, or his drums, as loud as he can and watch people dance around and have a good time.  He's a very honest musician, imho.  Doesn't take himself too seriously, and he's fairly great at what he does.

Not only were the boys probably a nightmare for the engineers, they probably usually don't have vocal blends to worry about.  Most bands on the radio anymore have 1 guy singing lead, then if any backing vocals, it'll either be a tape or just two or three mics singing the same thing. 

The Beach Boys just had 3 different guys kind of singing 'lead', then had about 15 people singing 5 or 6 different melodies. 

It's like Brian's mad experiment in his mind finally came to fruition on the stage.  This would be about the time he'd be doing more takes, and telling everybody "Forget Time, they can fix that with the machine, all we have to worry about is the blend!"

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 13, 2012, 01:38:15 AM »

I thought the Beach Boys did fine.  I'm not expecting them to be spectacular, because I'm not sure they ever were outside the studio, at least not consistently.  Having a good backing band helps.  I wasn't impressed by either Maroon 5 or Foster the People (at least not their lead singers).  Both of those guys were rather off-key.  That part of it was cringe-worthy.  It just seemed awkward.   The Beach Boys and Glen Campbell were really the only reasons I watched at all.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 13, 2012, 01:43:36 AM »

Looked at it again in the cold light of sobriety. Brian's nerves were my only problem with it, but yeah - Everybodys having a great time! The Beach Boys!

THEY ARE BACK! Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 13, 2012, 02:08:18 AM »

The highlight of the night for me was Dave Grohls acceptance speech in which he he talked about music coming from the heart and the mind without being tainted or touched up by computers.

It was less about "evil computers" and more about playing from your heart.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx