gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:58:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Grammy Discussion Thread  (Read 89900 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: February 12, 2012, 08:39:38 PM »

That was really cool. I don't usually like the guitar jam session segments at award shows, but that one was really, really cool. It's the Beatles aura, that's the only way I can explain it. Seeing Bruce and Joe Walsh and Grohl up there smiling like kids jamming with Paul touched a nerve. I think anyone who plays music and loves the Beatles in any way pictured themselves in that scenario at one point or another.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MBE
« Reply #326 on: February 12, 2012, 08:39:55 PM »

Not a good performance by Paul-either of them (and I am a fan)  but The Beach Boys really did as good as I hoped. It felt right in a way it hasn't since Carl last graced the stage. Those voices belong together.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 12, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »

Can't believe he didn't play Her Majesty.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »

The hubby and I both loved the guitar jam at the end.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 12, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »

The thing that is so bizarre about the Grammy telecast now is that it is barely a celebration of the music of the preceding year any more. The Academy has a terrible voting history, so they feel that have to provide a capsule summary of modern musical history every time. I mean, imagine on the Academy Awards this year: "Now, we have Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman, to re-enact your favorite scenes from Midnight Cowboy!!!".
Also, a patronising element is the need to bring in newer, younger artists to "help" every single older artist, from Paul to Campbell to Beach Boys to Bonnie Raitt etc.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:46:10 PM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 12, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »

I just gotta say the grammy thing did exactly what the Beach Boys and I'm sure management hoped for, it brought a huge amount of attention tot the guys, most of it good some of it bad

Anyway, album sales will get a spike and if they are smart enough to release more dates soon they will surely sell fast

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 12, 2012, 08:47:30 PM »

Not a good performance by Paul-either of them (and I am a fan)  but The Beach Boys really did as good as I hoped. It felt right in a way it hasn't since Carl last graced the stage. Those voices belong together.

Hate to say it, but you have a point. The lineup was deeply meaningful to those who have a feeling for this band's history.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 12, 2012, 08:52:10 PM »

As of this night...

THE BEACH BOYS ARE REUNITED !!!  Brian, Dennis, & Carl

And now.... good night. Thud
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 12, 2012, 08:53:31 PM »

Didn't think to put the TV feed through the big speakers.  Mr. Desper did, so I trust him on what he heard.  Methinks some of the carping about the BB performance was the live mix, there were more than a few problems.  Mike was definitely not there in the mix at first, not his fault.  Brian did no worse than he's done any other time I saw him. The other guys seemed to be having fun.  Notice Mark Foster was off stage right, nearer to Brian's side, while Adam Levine danced with Mike?  Wonder if that was staged that way.  The duettist's mic died completely during the Carrie Underwood duet.  I'm not sure that what happened to Katy Perry's first song of her medley was supposed to happen.  At least they didn't have the Wilco unplugged-cable zap that got in Paul McCartney's way.

I'm not the biggest Taylor Swift fan but I liked she did her song acoustically, and de-glammed herself for her stage performance.  I also liked the Deadmaus/Foo Fighers/Chris Brown DJ segment.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 12, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »

Notice Mark Foster was off stage right, nearer to Brian's side, while Adam Levine danced with Mike?  Wonder if that was staged that way.
It was rehearsed like that.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 12, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »

I just gotta say the grammy thing did exactly what the Beach Boys and I'm sure management hoped for, it brought a huge amount of attention tot the guys, most of it good some of it bad

Anyway, album sales will get a spike and if they are smart enough to release more dates soon they will surely sell fast

They were briefly the #1 trending topic on Yahoo tonight...so I would guess most of the reception was positive.
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 12, 2012, 09:08:28 PM »

http://youtu.be/-BCIm1n9Ixk    better quality.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: February 12, 2012, 09:09:04 PM »

They were briefly the #1 trending topic on Yahoo tonight...so I would guess most of the reception was positive.

It will be interesting to track downloads and sales this week, too. I've already mentioned this, but we should track "Good Vibrations" among other BB's titles on iTunes and Amazon to see if there is a spike in sales from this broadcast.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 12, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »

Here's the link to the post-performance interview with the BBs:
http://www.grammy.com/videos/the-beach-boys-one-on-one-backstage

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 12, 2012, 09:31:49 PM »

Wow....New album possibly before the tour according to that interview.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: February 12, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »

No TV at home  Embarrassed

But it was cool to watch this, although Brian seemed a little tired and out of it.  Great to see all 5 together!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 12, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »

I was disappointed that when Brian opened his mouth to sing it was Jeff Foskett's voice I heard coming out of the speakers. Sad
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 12, 2012, 09:43:01 PM »

I can't believe they persist in asking Brian Wilson if he follows the current music scene.  You would think some of these interviewers would research some of Brian's recent interviews in promoting SMiLE where he flat out said he doesn't listen to anything except "oldies".  It just makes for a completely awkward moment when they go down that route with him (although nice save by Dr. Love in this instance) as it's obvious that Brian probably hasn't listened to Top 40 in at least three decades and I only say that because apparently he's aware of several musicians from the seventies.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 12, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »

The thing that is so bizarre about the Grammy telecast now is that it is barely a celebration of the music of the preceding year any more.

It's not?  I guess those performances by Chris Brown, Bruno Mars, Adelle and Coldplay etc etc were all old.

I mean, imagine on the Academy Awards this year: "Now, we have Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman, to re-enact your favorite scenes from Midnight Cowboy!!!"

What a weird analogy.  I have never seen an Academy Award broadcast where the current nominees actually performed any scene from the film they were nominated for.  Tonight the Beach Boys were reunited on stage for the first time in decades...were they supposed to just stand there and not sing anything?  Paul McCartney performed a new song from his latest album plus a classic cut later.  So what's the issue?  
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 12, 2012, 09:56:34 PM »

The Boys Boys were reasonably good but i could hardly hear Mikes vocals even when he was singing lead let alone the harmonies.

The highlight of the night for me was Dave Grohls acceptance speech in which he he talked about music coming from the heart and the mind
without being tainted or touched up by computers.

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 12, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »

The highlight of the night for me was Dave Grohls acceptance speech in which he he talked about music coming from the heart and the mind

And did you notice the house band cut him off?  He offended most of the current music makers!
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 12, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »

And did you notice the house band cut him off?  He offended most of the current music makers!

lol Yeah and a few of the guests in the audience looked a little nonplussed as well.

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 12, 2012, 10:06:11 PM »

The thing that is so bizarre about the Grammy telecast now is that it is barely a celebration of the music of the preceding year any more.

It's not?  I guess those performances by Chris Brown, Bruno Mars, Adelle and Coldplay etc etc were all old.

I mean, imagine on the Academy Awards this year: "Now, we have Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman, to re-enact your favorite scenes from Midnight Cowboy!!!"

What a weird analogy.  I have never seen an Academy Award broadcast where the current nominees actually performed any scene from the film they were nominated for.  Tonight the Beach Boys were reunited on stage for the first time in decades...were they supposed to just stand there and not sing anything?  Paul McCartney performed a new song from his latest album plus a classic cut later.  So what's the issue?  

Slowness and lack of comprehension are my guesses. Everything I said was entirely correct.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: February 12, 2012, 10:07:49 PM »

so great to see the group together again.  really awesome to see Dave up there keeping it real !

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 12, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »

i think foster was better than maroon 5.  and who didn't love foster wearing blue striped shirts  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx