gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681027 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 08:16:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Grammy Discussion Thread  (Read 90403 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 12, 2012, 07:20:10 PM »

I'm going to sleep after Glen. Gentle On My Mind done by some nobodies, which is nice. If by nobodies. I

wonder if Glen Campbell nerds think that was terrible like some of us are thinking Maroon 5 or FTP were terrible. Perfectly servicable.

Glen Campbell is broing out here. He's LOVING IT.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:22:19 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 12, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »

So The Beach Boys get to do a two minute Good Vibrations yet Paul Mccartney get's to do a cheesy love song and come back later with a totally random Beatles set..

I don't get it

He's Paul McCartney.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 12, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »

So The Beach Boys get to do a two minute Good Vibrations yet Paul Mccartney get's to do a cheesy love song and come back later with a totally random Beatles set..

I don't get it

You really think Brian should go out there and do another set at this farce?   Shocked

Seriously love The Beach Boys but I think the way this was mapped out was the best possible route.  I'm waiting for the real show when they hit the road and start rocking some sheds.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2012, 07:22:08 PM »

I don't get it

He's Paul McCartney.

Couldn't have said it better.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2012, 07:23:19 PM »

Hey, the old Boys still got it!

Fun!

P.S.

Mike Love kicked some a$$!  I love Mike Love!   Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »

I don't get it

He's Paul McCartney.

Hey I don't think it's a who's bigger than who deal..

All in all The Beach Boys got 3 songs, I'm just saying I tink Sir Paul got a better deal, he's singing his own songs

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »

The band rocked on GV's! Grin  Brian looked like he was just miked really low.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: February 12, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »

COMMENT:  Listening on Studio Monitors (JBL 4311) via live cable feed (like the rest of the country) I could hear Brian. Not as loud as I thought he should be in the mix, but he was there.

I heard Brian sing live last month. The man has no problem hitting the high notes or staying on key. I doubt he was afraid either. He just sings and that is that.

What I miss about these modern mixes is the echo on Good Vib's when the song breaks. Oooo echo echo echo. I use to put it there when I mixed the concerts. Why the hell it can't be done in this day and age is beyond me. Oh well, at least everyone was in good form. 

As far as Brian and the mix, remember this is a GROUP song. No solo parts here. 

Good Listening,
~Stephen W. Desper
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 12, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »

I thought Seacrest did a fine job with the intro...he got the crowd amped up and led very nicely to cool intro to GV.  Good performance...the camera angle on Brian could have been better.  
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 12, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »

Re: McCartney's Valentine -- I liked Joe Walsh's guitar solo. The rest was so-so. imho. Then again, I'm not a fan of that style of music.

As for the BBs, there wasn't enough of them, imho. It was good to see them all together and to see Dave as part of the band again.

I note that the first verse of GV was skipped entirely. Foskett sang the lead with Brian (which makes sense, he's filled Carl's shoes quite a bit in Brian's band). But Jeff's in the back line, not the front line, so they showed Brian on the front line, although he was the second voice in the balance, not the primary.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:39:10 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »

I'm going to sleep after Glen. Gentle On My Mind done by some nobodies, which is nice. If by nobodies. I

wonder if Glen Campbell nerds think that was terrible like some of us are thinking Maroon 5 or FTP were terrible. Perfectly servicable.

Glen Campbell is broing out here. He's LOVING IT.

They're not nobodys in the country music scene, they're the equivalent of the successful newcomers (Foster The People - The Band Perry) and established commercially successful acts (Maroon 5 - Blake Shelton). Outside of country music those names are pretty much unknown.

Glen's segment was cool. Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

I don't get it

He's Paul McCartney.

Yeah, although the quality of music might be comparable, Paul has got a better reputation and better management, too. It would have been nice if Paul had been one of the people to cover a Beach Boys song in the tribute. Or if he had introduced them, the way Stevie introduced him. It would have given them more credibility than Ryan Seacrest.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 12, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »

I don't get it

He's Paul McCartney.

Hey I don't think it's a who's bigger than who deal..

All in all The Beach Boys got 3 songs, I'm just saying I tink Sir Paul got a better deal, he's singing his own songs

The only issue I have with Paul McCartney is the fact that The Beatles have to be integrated into everything he does now.  I would have been happy to hear one of his new songs off the Valentine's cd and maybe one of his classic solo hits.  To me I wish The Beatles music could be left as is.  John, Paul, George and Ringo are unfortunately no more and to hear seventy year old Paul McCartney up there performing The Beatle hits doesn't do anything for me.  It's probably the main reason why despite being a huge Macca fan I've never bought tickets to see him live.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:34:48 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 12, 2012, 07:30:51 PM »

I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink, i'm sooooo tired, my mind is on the blink. Seriously put Paul on so I can sleep afterwards! Thud
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 12, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »

The Beach Boys are back! Hoping the new album turns out great! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 12, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »

Guys. Ringo was at the soundcheck.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 12, 2012, 07:33:43 PM »

This was fun as hell, lots and lots of excitement...

I just hope we get tours dates soon

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 12, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »

Now, Glen Campbell, he was great. That is the performance level I expect. Happy, in good form, dancing around. And he has ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, fer cripes sakes! He has an excuse to sit there and walk through it, but he didn't.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 12, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »

I just get the feeling Paul's gonna sing Sgt Peppers and then introduce Ringo for Little Help For My Friends. I hope i'm right! Cool
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 12, 2012, 07:39:06 PM »

Yet i saw it differently..From the CBS computer feed I saw clearly Bruce doubling Brian on the lead vocal.And in Chorus Bruce singin the highest parts with all he had..I also Heard Brian on the part Oh Ma Ma Ma what an elation. Jeff was so far back how could ya tell.? I did hear Jeff sing the intro to Surfer Girl..FLAT. !. I also thought neither of the 2 young bands came close to nailing their parts.Altho foster came off better on WIBN. I did shed a tear for the guys + in the end i think they should have just performed {BB} by themselves..BB did nothing to screw things up + looks like it will be a great reunion.!. Loved the way David was dressed + the hat. Everyone looked great for their age + havin fun + BW did looked scared..I did notice Melinda in audience..Maybe Brian needs Jeff closer by for moral support..Hope they change that around in concert.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »

Great to see the band out there. I think Mr. Desper really summed it up.

Glenn Campbell though singing wonderfully despite his illness has to be the highlight. WOW!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 12, 2012, 07:39:52 PM »

A friend who is not a BBs fan (indifferent) e-mailed:
"Just saw Beach Boys. Jeez ... kinda depressing. Too much to type on phone, but Wilson continues to look like a zombie. Damn miracle he didn't end up like Whitney years ago. Very sad."

Sigh.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 12, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »

Glen.  75 and decllining?  Saw him last month.  Maybe some dementia but for crying out loud.........the guy still has it as a performer!!!

Can we hope to have moment before this is over with BB an Glen being shown together?
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 12, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »

The feedback I got from non-Beach Boys fans or more, umm, casual ones than me were that that they rocked it.  So they did their job overall, even if we may have had some quibbles.

I thought the first two performances showed how good the Boys in their prime really were- they made it sound so effortless and those were pretty decent signers not measuring up on any level.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 12, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »

I was kind of disappointed in the choosing of Surfer Girl, I wish they would have used an upbeat song like I Get Around or Help Me, Rhonda. Maroon 5 was okay. The instrumentation was the best part.

Foster the People were really good in the performance as a whole. Only thing would be Mark Foster used a bit too much vibrato for my tastes and he seems to always be nervous. To be fair to the kid, this is the biggest stage they've ever done. He was a severe drug addict in his late teens/early twenties and his friends feared for his life, so for him to even be up there living a dream with the band he admires most was great.

I thought the BBs were as good as I could have hoped. They are all nearing or at 70 for goodness sakes and have musically been apart for years. It was the first time for me to ever see them perform live on stage and I was thoroughly pleased.

Glen Campbell was great and the Band Perry are very, very far from being a nobody.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx