gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:39:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson to appear on Macca tribute  (Read 3769 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »

From: www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paul-mccartney-tribute-album-walk-of-fame-288598

Paul McCartney to Receive Hollywood Walk of Fame Star Nearly 20 Years After Being Chosen

… fully endorsed tribute record featuring covers of classic compositions from Sir Paul's catalog -- with The Beatles and Wings and from his solo career.

Among the artists slated to participate are Billy Joel, Brian Wilson, B.B. King, Willie Nelson, Steve Miller, Jeff Lynne, Heart, Wanda Jackson, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Ronnie Spector, The Cure and Corinne Bailey Rae. The collection, which has yet to partner with a label or distributor, is being curated by longtime producer and music supervisor Ralph Sall (Clueless, 10 Things I Hate About You, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), the man who practically invented the tribute genre with 1991's Deadicated featuring the songs of The Grateful Dead performed by the likes of Jane's Addiction and Elvis Costello.

Now, given all this reunion fuss, will this remain a BW contribution or will it evolve into a BBs' contribution?

And what will he record?

Probably not Her Majesty!

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »

Jeff Lynee has always annoyed me for some reason

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »

My money's on either "She's Leaving Home" or "Let it Be", I'd love to hear him do "For No One" but I don't think I have heard Brian talk about this song before, so chances are that he's not as big on that as he is the previous two.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »

My money's on either "She's Leaving Home" or "Let it Be", I'd love to hear him do "For No One" but I don't think I have heard Brian talk about this song before, so chances are that he's not as big on that as he is the previous two.
She's Leaving Home or Back in the USSR. Or some early rockin' stuff. Let It Be could be awesome, too...
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »

Probably Let It Be but Here, There and Everywhere or Back In The U.S.S.R. would be cool.  Cool

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:54:50 PM »

Would settle for a studio version of that great arrangement of She's Leaving Home he played at the TLOS shows

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »

Heart?  Kiss?  Jeeeeeezzzzz.....
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »

I would love a rendition of his version of She's Leaving Home that he did a while go on tour...the beginning guitar part was Getting Better-like and  the beat was more Penny Lane-a-fied...I liked it a whole lot...would like it better if it was released with good sound and not a b00t.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »

Especially his production - that darn snare drum!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 02:16:32 PM »

Would settle for a studio version of that great arrangement of She's Leaving Home he played at the TLOS shows
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 02:19:31 PM »

"Dear Boy" from Ram!  Go listen to it.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 03:53:33 PM »

Agreed.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine who came along to one of those shows - blimey over 4 years ago - asked me only a few weeks ago if there ever was a studio recording of that very arrangement.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »

"With a little help from my friends" recorded at normal speed this time  Grin
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »

Also, for obvious reason, Wings' "Daytime Nightime Suffering".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »

I'm not surprised. You can't even spell his name.

The guy's a legend.  Right up there with the best songwriters and producers in Rock/Pop music.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »

i like jeff lynne.  I should probably listen to more, cause as of now i put him in the same area has tommy james, except i'd rather listen to tommy james
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 04:44:05 AM »

Sneer all you like at Lynne for his production and the Beatlesesque nature of some of his music, but the guy has written great pop/rock tunes that still stand up after all this time. The Zoom DVD (essentially Lynne, Richard Tandy and new 'orchestra' ) is pretty damn good. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 05:17:13 AM »

I'd love a version of "Michelle" but that probably won't happen. Jan & Dean did a great version of it (and also of "Norwegian wood"). I guess it'll be - as some have already mentioned - "She's leaving home" "Let it be" or "Eight days a week" which his band also played at some shows

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 08:08:32 AM »

B-Dub, an old moog synth, and "Why Don't We Do It In The Road"

"Jeff, you care." --BW
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »

I think they shouldn't do songs from his Beatle days.  If they want to do a Beatles tribute, do that (though if there's one band not lacking in tributes...).  This is a McCartney tribute, the man has a pretty vast catalog of non-Beatle material.   That said, off the top of my head I wouldn't mind hearing Brian do any of the following: Junk, Tug of War, Someone Who Cares, Wanderlust.
Also curious how they select the artists for these tribute albums.  Obviously the artist would need to want to do it in the first place, but beyond that? 
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »

The guy's a legend.  Right up there with the best songwriters and producers in Rock/Pop music.
I like him too. In the late 80's I saw ELO and Roxy Music at the Oakland Colisseum and ELO did a tribute to John Lennon by doing some Beatle songs. It was pretty fantastic. We all know Lynne's love of Beatle music. Smiley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »

I like him too. In the late 80's I saw ELO and Roxy Music at the Oakland Colisseum and ELO did a tribute to John Lennon by doing some Beatle songs. It was pretty fantastic. We all know Lynne's love of Beatle music. Smiley

It looks like that ELO show you attended occurred on September 24th, 1981 with Ellen Foley as the opening act. The John Lennon tribute was done during this tour. Actually, Roxy Music didn't even play in the U.S. in '81, but they played the Oakland Arena April 20th, 1979. Perhaps your memory combined the two concerts?

Sorry for being pedantic about this, but that's the fun of the internet! You dangled the carrot of "time and place" in front of me and I wanted to nail it down.  Grin
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »

Tug of War, Someone Who Cares, Wanderlust.

My god, those would owe themselves well to a Brian treatment, another one I'd love to hear Brian do is "I Owe It All To You"
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »

Probably, but you do realize this is being done so that Mccartney's friends and people he admire will pay him tribute, right?  Paul and Jeff are tight.  Probably has something to do with the 2 or 3 hundred million dollars Jeff helped him earn with the Anthology. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx