gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:27:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Will David Marks Add to the Beach Boys Sound?  (Read 6242 times)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »

I'm a longtime Beach Boys fan with very limited knowledge of what role David Marks has played in the band's history.  I read recently that he has been to music school and is a talented guitar player.  Will David Marks spice up the Beach Boys in concert with guitar licks, does he have much of a voice to contribute to the vocal mix, and can we expect him to help pen some new songs with band members?
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »

a true master of guitar

If it runs amuck, call the duck
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »

His guitar sound was part of the foundation of the original Beach Boys sound.

I don't think his vocal work could exactly be described as having been prominent back in the day but his more recent solo material has been fine.

According to reports, Mike's looking to work with him on some of his material for the new Beach Boys album. Now that's promising as Dave's position as a non-band member for so many years means that he's the one member least-encumbered by all that surf  hotrod thing that's stereotyped them into a corner for so long.

I only hope that Mike's contribution doesn't amount merely to him adding the word "Well" to the beginning of every verse or second line, in exchange for a songwriting credit!    Evil

“We live in divisive times.”
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 02:44:09 PM »

Well, on the 2008 tour with Mike & Bruce he added joint lead guitar with Scott Totten. Generally David would take the more 'surfy' guitar parts (those through, say, late 64) on a Fender while Scott would play the later lead parts on a Gibson. He added a *lot* to the guitar sound, and it looks like he'll be one of the main guitarists on the tour (only him and Totten are primarily guitarists).

Vocally... he bears a slight vocal resemblance to Dennis, and adds a huskiness to the harmonies that's been missing since Dennis died (though Bruce's voice now has some of that too). He's very obviously not the singer the others are (on the 2008 tour he sat out some of the more vocally-complex songs) but he does an *extremely* good job of doing Dennis' old leads on Forever and Do You Wanna Dance.

He won't add as much to the show as the others, but he *is* an extremely good guitarist, a competent vocalist, a decent person and a Beach Boy, and I'm very glad he'll be on the tour.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »

So what do we have? Where Dave was playing Toes on the Nose rhythm guitar before Al, will both of those guys play rhythm and Dave take the leads for the surf and car songs on this tour? Does Totten play lead guitar with the Mike and Bruce show? If so, maybe he'll handle many of the other leads and maybe share some with Jeff (or Dave). If Scott Bennett goes with them, he plays guitar and other stuff. Whose gonna play bass - Brett Simons? If Darian's on the tour, he and Brian and Bruce will play keys. And Mertens and Probyn on woodwinds/horns/harmonica and Bragg on percussion and Cowsill (and sometimes Stamos) on drums.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:36:25 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »

Gotta say, what a journey now for Darian, from fan to musician to Brian's musical SMiLE curator to official Beach Boys sidesman.  What a journey for all those guys.

What a night in store. Here comes the night!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »

Let's break it down ... Please note, Scotty doesn't really play guitar with BW. He can, but he's more a dual keyboardist with Darian.

Keyboard section (four players)

Brian - Piano (miked plugged in or not? We'll see)
Bruce - Keys (maybe he'll go without)
Scotty - Keys and vibes
Darian - Keys and vibes

Guitar section (five players confirmed, one possible)

Al - Rhythm guitar
Dave - Lead and rhythm guitar
Scott T. - Lead guitar
Jeff - Guitar (Maybe he'll go without)
Probyn - Guitar / Tannerin

Unconfirmed: Nicky Wonder (ditto)

Percussion section (two players confirmed, one possible)

John Cowsill - Drums
Nelson Bragg - Percussion

Unconfirmed: Mikey D'Amico (haven't seen him anywhere)

Bass

Brett Simons - Apparently they only need one.

Winds (two players)

Paul Mertens - Sax / harmonica / etc.
Probyn - Trumpet, French horn

So this is one honking big band. Some 13 confirmed players, and the possibility of two more. (I'm not counting Stamos for religious reasons.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:01:52 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 04:04:41 PM »

Brian will have a mic.  Count on it.  I'm sure his keyboard will be plugged in too - whether he'll play it......TBD. They'll probably (or should) have a piano on stage - Brian would be comfortable behind that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:08:18 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 04:18:49 PM »

Oh, I didn't mean Brian wouldn't be mic'd vocally. I was referring to the piano. It's varied at his own shows over the years.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »

Nelson Bragg gets on my nerves like Jeff Foskett seems to annoy a lot of people around here...he's sort of a cross between Jerry Mathers and Ray Cooper..I'm always in fear the poor man will have a stroke once he gets going. Razz
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »

Oh i do see the comparison to Ray Cooper.. Totally never thought of that.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »

Why do you guys keep thinking that Darian will be involved?

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 07:39:49 PM »

Probyn is confirmed, yesterday I got an email from him saying "If you feel like watching the Grammys, I will be on there about an hour into it with the Beach Boys, I made it into the 50th year reunion band"

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »

He's in the background of the rehearsal pictures from the Grammys. Doesn't mean he'll be on the tour, necessarily, but it seems likely, no?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »

Probyn is confirmed, yesterday I got an email from him saying "If you feel like watching the Grammys, I will be on there about an hour into it with the Beach Boys, I made it into the 50th year reunion band"

That's amazing. Great news. I'm so happy for him. I've made the adjustment in the big list up top.

Come to think of it, though, Probyn was kind of a shoo in. He allows for a two-person brass section (important if they try Darlin'), some authentic Tannerin in Good Vibes, and the French Horn on GOK.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:03:20 PM by Wirestone » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 09:55:44 PM »

Probyn's on the tour.

He's in the background of the rehearsal pictures from the Grammys. Doesn't mean he'll be on the tour, necessarily, but it seems likely, no?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 09:58:48 PM »

Did you mean to say Darian?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »

I was guessing Darian to be on the tour. Not sure he will be, but I'd think he or Benett would be the Mike Meros of the band, right? Brian or Bruce couldn't handle playing all those songs.

And I edited my post above to include Dave not only playing rhythm and lead on the surf songs, but the car songs too. GOTTA have all those songs on the setlist!

What a bunch of butt-kickin' musicians there will be on that stage, all complimenting each other at the same time! Hope nobody steps on any toes and they can go the full 50!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 12:44:38 AM »

Several of the BW / BBs / AJ / J&D band guys know each other well and have played together in different configurations in LA for decades now, so I expect smooth sailing. There's a lot of mutual respect and shuffling between groups. (Quick quiz: Who has played in the most of them? I would guess Gary Griffin ... maybe Foskett)

Although, really, it's basically Brian's band with Dave and a couple of Mike's very best guys. Hard to see how that could go wrong. Scott T. has been scrupulous about restoring the arrangements to their original form (in other words, a Darian-like role for Mike and Bruce), and Cowsill is reportedly amazing all round.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 12:51:25 AM »

Nelson Bragg gets on my nerves like Jeff Foskett seems to annoy a lot of people around here...he's sort of a cross between Jerry Mathers and Ray Cooper..I'm always in fear the poor man will have a stroke once he gets going. Razz

What's anyone's beef with Nelson Bragg? He's a very talented percussionist (and drummer) and adds a hell of a lot. Anyone here ever listen to any Beach Boys records?Huh Brian REALLY loves percussion of the non-drum-kit variety. He loves sleigh bells, timpani, tambourines, hand percussion, whistles, etc and that stuff is all over their stuff. Sometimes it seems like Brian considers the drum-kit as a necessary evil for a "rock" band but really gets off on all the extra percussion. Nelson does an awesome job at it and has a good voice too. He should be there and it will be cool to see him and Cowsill play off each other.

I freaking love that we're getting a mix of the Brian band and the Mike/Bruce band!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 02:35:18 AM »

Not sure whether that image will post, but it's on Brian's Facebook page since eight hours ago… looks like that might be Probyn poking his head round the door, too…

Caption: Brian, Wesley (Engineer), Gregory (Videographer), Darian at the keyboards and Brian today at Oceanway Studios, Hollywood, CA.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:37:36 AM by John Manning » Logged

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 03:00:38 AM »

Could you point me to which of the pictures exactly?

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 03:02:14 AM »

Because the listing on the BB Band site - http://www.beachboysband.net/TOURSCH/BB_TOUR_SCH.htm - has him listed and he's in the Grammy rehearsal photos,

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 03:03:17 AM »

Not sure whether that image will post, but it's on Brian's Facebook page since eight hours ago… looks like that might be Probyn poking his head round the door, too…

Caption: Brian, Wesley (Engineer), Gregory (Videographer), Darian at the keyboards and Brian today at Oceanway Studios, Hollywood, CA.

Thanks for this!
But how does this prove that he is involved with the Beach Boys Reunion exactly?

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 03:09:53 AM »

Because the listing on the BB Band site - http://www.beachboysband.net/TOURSCH/BB_TOUR_SCH.htm - has him listed and he's in the Grammy rehearsal photos,

Again, which photos?  I must have missed those.
And I wouldn't trust the BB.net site too much...

But hey, I would be SO happy to be proven wrong!!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx